Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,055 members, 7,818,162 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:12 AM

These Guys Won FIFA U16 Maiden Edition On This Date 1985 (photo) - Sports (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / These Guys Won FIFA U16 Maiden Edition On This Date 1985 (photo) (29450 Views)

Ronaldo Won FIFA Best Player Award Despite Mikel Obi Voting For Messi / Real Madrid Forward Won Fifa Men Player Of The Year Award / Picture:flashback On How Sam Okwaraji Died On This Date In 1989 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: These Guys Won FIFA U16 Maiden Edition On This Date 1985 (photo) by SaintNdi: 1:17pm On Aug 11, 2015
So those guys are 16 or under 16... habaaaa!
Re: These Guys Won FIFA U16 Maiden Edition On This Date 1985 (photo) by UpLoyo: 1:18pm On Aug 11, 2015
dridowu:
Congrats to them all
https://instagram.com/p/6PT8k6QMwL/
lalasticlala

Really, congrats to them for something they won in 1985?
Re: These Guys Won FIFA U16 Maiden Edition On This Date 1985 (photo) by Buildertobadt: 1:25pm On Aug 11, 2015
That is how we began world footbal champions at teenage level.... grin
Re: These Guys Won FIFA U16 Maiden Edition On This Date 1985 (photo) by dyn1800: 1:30pm On Aug 11, 2015
Kanu only plays in the 1993 u17 squad in Japan ..... The kanu look alike Boy sorry Daddy is one of the goalie (Lucky AgbonSevbafe)
Shukran:
I can see Kanu!
Re: These Guys Won FIFA U16 Maiden Edition On This Date 1985 (photo) by Nobody: 1:53pm On Aug 11, 2015
It was Fifa U-17 not 16. We defeated W.Germany 2-0. Still remember that day very well
There is no Fifa Tournament that is under 16.
Re: These Guys Won FIFA U16 Maiden Edition On This Date 1985 (photo) by omonnakoda: 2:43pm On Aug 11, 2015
myworldtech:

Off by heart; not off hand.
You are daft and ignorant,you think you know but you know nothing,the worst kind of fool
Re: These Guys Won FIFA U16 Maiden Edition On This Date 1985 (photo) by IykeWest: 2:47pm On Aug 11, 2015
nathpope:

oponu omode...
Na ur papa dem be so...
my papa was busy toasting and fuckin ur mama by then tongue
Re: These Guys Won FIFA U16 Maiden Edition On This Date 1985 (photo) by harbeedaymee(f): 3:00pm On Aug 11, 2015
fonzie2u:
It was Fifa U-17 not 16. We defeated W.Germany 2-0. Still remember that day very well

You are wrong sir. The initial tournament was U-16. It was later changed to U-17. smiley smiley smiley

1 Like

Re: These Guys Won FIFA U16 Maiden Edition On This Date 1985 (photo) by nijanigga: 3:06pm On Aug 11, 2015
Shukran:
I can see Kanu!
Kanu was not in that squad, check the 1993 winners.
Re: These Guys Won FIFA U16 Maiden Edition On This Date 1985 (photo) by nathpope(m): 3:12pm On Aug 11, 2015
IykeWest:
my papa was busy toasting and fuckin ur mama by then tongue

lol...oponu.
U shld cook ur indomie well b4 eating them.
Re: These Guys Won FIFA U16 Maiden Edition On This Date 1985 (photo) by IykeWest: 3:26pm On Aug 11, 2015
nathpope:

lol...oponu.
U shld cook ur indomie well b4 eating them.
How do u know I don't cook it well? smiley
Re: These Guys Won FIFA U16 Maiden Edition On This Date 1985 (photo) by tofolo(m): 3:42pm On Aug 11, 2015
Hello Nairalanders pls how does one post pictures on this forum?
Re: These Guys Won FIFA U16 Maiden Edition On This Date 1985 (photo) by femi4: 4:14pm On Aug 11, 2015
fonzie2u:
The first edition was u16
Re: These Guys Won FIFA U16 Maiden Edition On This Date 1985 (photo) by Emilokoiyawon: 8:01pm On Aug 11, 2015
grin grin Their REAL average age back then was 36 - na joke o! grin grin
Re: These Guys Won FIFA U16 Maiden Edition On This Date 1985 (photo) by AKPOSbaba: 9:12pm On Aug 11, 2015
Shukran:
I can see Kanu!

Look am well again,
Kanu?u well?
1985 squad?
Abeg Kanu na 1993 squad!
Re: These Guys Won FIFA U16 Maiden Edition On This Date 1985 (photo) by gibzzhd: 11:47pm On Aug 11, 2015
luvinhubby:
They include - Hillary Adiki, Tomworimi Duere, Sanni Mohammed, Fatai Atere, Kingsley Akhionbare (late), Chukwuma Nwoha, Nduka Ugbade, Lucky Agbonsabvafe, Victor Igbinoba ( scored that 2nd cracker against W. Germany), Numa Binebi, Imama Amakapbor, Jonathan Akpoborie, Baldwin Bazuaye, Bella Momoh. Joseph Babatunde, Salisu Nakade, Dele Abubakar & Mohammed Yahaya.

Nostalgic team.
théy started thé âge cheating.
Re: These Guys Won FIFA U16 Maiden Edition On This Date 1985 (photo) by DrTee1(m): 7:08am On Aug 12, 2015
gibzzhd:

théy started thé âge cheating.

If you've not read the history of the China '85 squad or seen their videos before now, did you not read DeRay98 and AreaFada2's comments?

You need to download the videos of the Kodak U16 Championship in China 85 to appreciate what those Sebastian Brodericks-tutored lads did in conquering the world at that stage.

Mind you, aside playing W. Germany in the final (who were losing finalists at the 82 Fifa World cup in Spain three years earlier), they also played with only ten men for most of the final match. There was another player who had a huge bandage on his head for a large part of the match too.

Those guys were superb trailblazers and they deserve our respect. Stop crying age cheats more than it is necessary. Think wide. Watch the European basketball championship for U19s and see if the average African under 19 can dare to enter the court with age mates of his 6 years older brother's size!

Google the Euro Basketball U19 tournament of any year to see what I'm saying.

To buttress it further, you say we cheat. Let's agree. Asians are said to also cheat, right? So also have South Americans been accused. Ask yourself, why hasn't China or India or Zaire, for example, successfully cheated to win the U17?

Mind you, the Bwalya led Zairean side beat football powerhouse Italy 4-0 in the group stage of the Seoul 88 Olympics in Korea. A tournament Rashidi Yekini played for Nigeria in.

So, no be today African sides don dey win oyinbo but couldn't go as far as winning any World Cup before this team broke the jinx.

Hey hey hey, don't underrate Olympic football tournament. Fifa recognises the World Cup, the Confederation Cup and the Olympic football tournament as the three full global competitions...

Ghana followed later by winning the U17 six years later in Italy for their first before claiming it again in Ecuador in 95 after Oruma & Kanu's Japan 93 triumph at the same level.

To those who say the players largely disappeared into oblivion shortly after because they were over aged, I agree but not absolutely. Like AreaFada2 similarly highlighted, I'll ask you: Where is PABLO, the Spanish no9 and highest goal scorer at the Nigeria 99 U20 World Cup today? How about Florent-Sinama Pongolle of the Trinidad&Tobago U17 2001 fame? Le Tallec, the no. 7 nko? Please! Who knew Diego Costa or even the legendary Zinedine Zidane at 16 years? Let's treasure our history responsibly abeg!

The China 85 squad were glorious. Ebenezer Obey released the track "WORLD EAGLETS" in their honour. I've been trying to get to download the track from the internet for so long without success till now.

Please if anyone had the track, please upload it online or use drop box and quote me to draw my attention to it so that I can download it please...

Obey sang:

Ayo t'awon 'mo wa gba ni China
Ole, ole koko bi oju eja...

#Evergreen
Re: These Guys Won FIFA U16 Maiden Edition On This Date 1985 (photo) by gwadabe81(m): 7:23am On Aug 12, 2015
dridowu:
Congrats to them all
https://instagram.com/p/6PT8k6QMwL/
lalasticlala
Mohammed Yahaya was a very good neighbor and now coach a local team here in minna Niger state
Re: These Guys Won FIFA U16 Maiden Edition On This Date 1985 (photo) by DrTee1(m): 7:31am On Aug 12, 2015
gwadabe81:

Mohammed Yahaya was a very good neighbor and now coach a local team here in minna Niger state

Fatai Atere is in the United States where he went on scholarship after the tournament and settled till now.

The office premises of THE NATION Newspaper is on Fatai Atere Street in Lagos. They also got MON, I think.

Let's invite naptu and icons4u to contribute to this subject.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Asisat Oshoala Joins Dalian Quanjian / Arsenal, Man City, PSG... 5 Top Clubs That Have Never Won The UCL / Ola Aina Cleared By FIFA To Represent Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.