Stats: 3,153,227 members, 7,818,772 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:17 AM

22 Foods Nigerians Miss Most While Living Abroad - Food (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / 22 Foods Nigerians Miss Most While Living Abroad (46107 Views)

12 Foods Nigerians Miss Most While Living Abroad / 22 Foods Nigerians Miss Most While Living Abroad [photos] / 15 Foods Nigerians Miss Most While Living Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 22 Foods Nigerians Miss Most While Living Abroad by cococandy(f): 8:08pm On Aug 13, 2015
LadyBoss1:

Hey u cheesy
Aint seen ur comments in a while .. Hope ur good wink

Yes I am. Thank you smiley

Re: 22 Foods Nigerians Miss Most While Living Abroad by Nobody: 8:08pm On Aug 13, 2015
axeman10:

But most of all the food mentioned can be gotten fairly easily.

Palmy is part of food, essential part of balanced diet...if in doubt, ask Baba Mukaila, what he steps down with after eating pounded yam, egusi with ogunfe.

Lol....fairly easily ke?

Agege bread nko? grin grin

Baba Mukaila.....you are funnycheesy cheesy
Re: 22 Foods Nigerians Miss Most While Living Abroad by yinchar(m): 8:09pm On Aug 13, 2015
[size=16pt]You wan kill person for here abi?....See as I con dey salivate....Chai....[/size]
Re: 22 Foods Nigerians Miss Most While Living Abroad by Nobody: 8:10pm On Aug 13, 2015
You can get any Nigerian food anywhere in the world

Re: 22 Foods Nigerians Miss Most While Living Abroad by Nobody: 8:10pm On Aug 13, 2015
You wanna kiss?
adeh39:

See your mouth grin
Re: 22 Foods Nigerians Miss Most While Living Abroad by VISTIN(m): 8:12pm On Aug 13, 2015
erico2k2:
we have all this in London grin grin grin grin grin grin

Na only God know where you de comment from
Re: 22 Foods Nigerians Miss Most While Living Abroad by Noneroone(m): 8:12pm On Aug 13, 2015
someone on that site wrote

Your list is incoplete what of afang soup, ukazi soup with achara and melon cake, ugba with okporoko and palm wine, he- goat pepper soup, kpomo, periwinkle, snail and shrimps with vegetable soup, liver, shaki and roundabout pepper soup, ofe nsala, ofe olugbu with smelly fufu, ofe akwu with white rice. infact the list is endless. My delicious naija oriental dishes. You only promoted those oily, pepperish and tasteless yoruba dishes. Whats my business with sandy ijebu garri when there are other better quality garri from other parts of naija. Research well next time.
Re: 22 Foods Nigerians Miss Most While Living Abroad by sonnie10: 8:13pm On Aug 13, 2015
cococandy:
She's right about some of them though.

Like gala grin I miss that sh1t
And indomie. Ramen noodles cannot be compared to indomie
Plus a few more on that her list. In fact I'm home sick now. embarassed

True. I have a box of Ramen abandoned in my pantry. I tried it once thinking it would come out like indomie but I was disappointed.
Re: 22 Foods Nigerians Miss Most While Living Abroad by Amis(f): 8:13pm On Aug 13, 2015
FannySwindler:
Op. You have not done your research well. Visit the food thread. "Prepare your meal, take a picture and post the pics."

You will see what Amis,Cococandy, Ewuro4 are enjoying despite they are abroad. They cook most of the food on your list themselves, even those not on the list that you had think is not readily available.

It's just like saying that cute ladies are rare on Nairaland because they hardly comment. when you have Softysparky, Rolly83, Amis.et al

FannySwindler grin. ..well I miss suya so much.. cry
Re: 22 Foods Nigerians Miss Most While Living Abroad by femo86(m): 8:15pm On Aug 13, 2015
Abeg shey Alomo or Osomo bitters dey abroad ni?
Re: 22 Foods Nigerians Miss Most While Living Abroad by Nobody: 8:17pm On Aug 13, 2015
femo86:
Abeg shey Alomo or Osomo bitters dey abroad ni?

Alomo full ground here

Big bottle : $20
small plastic bottle between $6- 10 (not sure)
Re: 22 Foods Nigerians Miss Most While Living Abroad by Nobody: 8:17pm On Aug 13, 2015
adeh39:
15. Suya

Suya has been called so many names, barbecued meat, kebab and many others. But Suya is Suya and you can only find it in Nigeria.

There is no definition for the kind of feeling or sensation you get when you take hot Suya, especially when it is soaked in Yaji (Suya Spice). This delicacy is utterly delicious that it gives Nigerians multiple foodgasms.

Ah, I miss Suya so much. And shawarma and groundnut.

Most of the other dishes can be made at home with ingredients from the African store. Or bought at the African restaurant.
Re: 22 Foods Nigerians Miss Most While Living Abroad by Amis(f): 8:17pm On Aug 13, 2015
sonnie10:

I have a box of Ramen abandoned in my pantry. I tried it once thinking it would come out like indomie but I was disappointed.

Ramen is nothing compared to indomie..I was craving for indomie during my pregnancy I opted to try it out and I was so disappointed... angry
Re: 22 Foods Nigerians Miss Most While Living Abroad by AreaFada2: 8:18pm On Aug 13, 2015
I don't think the person who compiled these lives in UK. While the prices might be a bit high, you have almost all of them. Even me, a guy, I make akara easily. I don't like pap, though availabe, so use oat flakes or custard with it.

Grill ripe plantain for like 20 minutes and hammer with ground nuts or cashew nuts, cat fish peppersoup I eat like twice a week. Except kilishi I have not seen yet. Amala, poundo and semo are all here. Most ingredients are in the numerous African shops run by Asians & Africans.

They are a bit too fatty & full of carbs. If you eat it too much here, you gain weight anyhow. Not like in 9ja.
Re: 22 Foods Nigerians Miss Most While Living Abroad by cococandy(f): 8:18pm On Aug 13, 2015
sonnie10:

True. I have a box of Ramen abandoned in my pantry. I tried it once thinking it would come out like indomie but I was disappointed.

Indomie has that unique flavor.
The one packet of ramen I bought one time I gave it to my friend's kids when they came visiting.

Those people need to go and learn from indomie company.
Re: 22 Foods Nigerians Miss Most While Living Abroad by otiigba1(m): 8:19pm On Aug 13, 2015
MsNas:

The key is too eat in moderation and don't go and binge eat and go over your daily calorie level. You'll be fine.
yes o! Some nigerians i know they eat poundo yam for breakfast, boiled yam for lunch and fufu in the night and straight to bed, and then repeat the next day, and no exercise
Re: 22 Foods Nigerians Miss Most While Living Abroad by cococandy(f): 8:19pm On Aug 13, 2015
olukenzo:

Most of the other dishes can be made at home with ingredients from the African store. Or bought at the African restaurant.

Oh my Chanel O shawarma.

You're going to make me cry cry

And ibari ogwa goat head.

Re: 22 Foods Nigerians Miss Most While Living Abroad by wristbangle: 8:20pm On Aug 13, 2015
Adeh39

I swear say I go smuggle amala, gboli, suya, kilichi, pounded yam, egusi soup, ewu(goat meat) enter oversea.

Nice thread OP. kiss kiss

Re: 22 Foods Nigerians Miss Most While Living Abroad by Nobody: 8:20pm On Aug 13, 2015
cococandy:
She's right about some of them though.

Like gala grin I miss that sh1t
And indomie. Ramen noodles cannot be compared to indomie
Plus a few more on that her list. In fact I'm home sick now. embarassed

I saw indomie at Asda, if you're in the UK. You can also get it at your local African store.
Re: 22 Foods Nigerians Miss Most While Living Abroad by jumper524(m): 8:21pm On Aug 13, 2015
where masa dey 4 dat list
Re: 22 Foods Nigerians Miss Most While Living Abroad by Bollinger(m): 8:22pm On Aug 13, 2015
adeh39:
http://www.travelstart.com.ng/blog/22-foods-nigerians-miss-most-while-living-abroad/

Even though, exotic foods are delicious and enjoyable; once in a while, some of these foods can make you feel rootless and homesick.

We know it is not easy to bring Nigerian foodstuff abroad. If you try it, you will be shocked at how people will snigger at your bags packed with Nigerian foodstuffs at the airport, especially when you have Iru (locust beans) in the bag.

There are certain foods Nigerians miss most when living abroad. Although, these foods are not necessarily our favourites, but they remind us of our fatherland and it is no wonder we get sad when alternative foods do not meet up with the original ones in taste and appearance.

Here are 22 foods Nigerians miss most while living abroad:

Seriously OP. What do you mean by miss? i have just finished a plate of pounded yam and bitter leaf soup. How can one miss what one always has? You talk as if one does not have access to these foods abroad.

Re: 22 Foods Nigerians Miss Most While Living Abroad by MsNas(f): 8:22pm On Aug 13, 2015
otiigba1:
yes o! Some nigerians i know they eat poundo yam for breakfast, boiled yam for lunch and fufu in the night and straight to be, and then repeat the next day, and no exercise

Lmao. Tell me about that. 80% of the Nigerians I know do that. I used to, until my jeans started getting tight, I knew I had to hit the gym grin grin
Re: 22 Foods Nigerians Miss Most While Living Abroad by otiigba1(m): 8:22pm On Aug 13, 2015
olukenzo:

you can buy suya in south london, only they do not taste like naija suya

Re: 22 Foods Nigerians Miss Most While Living Abroad by ikenga67: 8:24pm On Aug 13, 2015
All that stuff are readily available in just about every corner of the US. Thats all they provide at Naija parties and summer time is party till you quench time.
Really the only two things I think are very hard to get are 1. Ube (pear) the type they eat roasted corn with. 2. Fresh ugu leaves.
Re: 22 Foods Nigerians Miss Most While Living Abroad by MsNas(f): 8:25pm On Aug 13, 2015
sonnie10:

Thanks. Only it is going to be a lot of challenge because the three is a combo pack.
Lol. Don't drink stout/Guinness everyday and you will see your potbelly reduce cheesy
Re: 22 Foods Nigerians Miss Most While Living Abroad by kaypound(m): 8:25pm On Aug 13, 2015
I could die for that shaki in that pounded yam right now....
This is the kind of topic that makes life bachelor of pizza or chips and burger miserable.
Re: 22 Foods Nigerians Miss Most While Living Abroad by naijaboiy: 8:26pm On Aug 13, 2015
Aminat508:
sorry your phone na torchlight phone tongue
Torchlight wey dey browse. embarassed
Re: 22 Foods Nigerians Miss Most While Living Abroad by naijaboiy: 8:27pm On Aug 13, 2015
otiigba1:
you can buy suya in south london, only they do not taste like naija suya
If no be aböki cut am then it's not suya. grin

Re: 22 Foods Nigerians Miss Most While Living Abroad by Nobody: 8:27pm On Aug 13, 2015
naijaboiy:
The pictures are not loading on my phone.
angryangry

You get luck,me when see the picture don dey vex,kai this OP just kon spoil my mood,i no dey chop this waakye again angry
Re: 22 Foods Nigerians Miss Most While Living Abroad by MsNas(f): 8:28pm On Aug 13, 2015
kaypound:
I could die for that shaki in that pounded yam right now....
This is the kind of topic that makes life of pizza or chips and burger miserable.
If you live in the US, they sell Shaki, Roundabout, cowtail (it is labelled oxtail) and even liver and Kidney at most Walmarts I have been into. Its in the beef section
Re: 22 Foods Nigerians Miss Most While Living Abroad by Aminat508(f): 8:28pm On Aug 13, 2015
networkgenuis:

Kina dariya.
Lol.
Dole ne in yi dariya
cheesy cheesy

Re: 22 Foods Nigerians Miss Most While Living Abroad by otiigba1(m): 8:29pm On Aug 13, 2015
naijaboiy:

If no be aböki cut am then it's not suya. grin
true talk grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Do You Remeber This Drinks ? If Yes Which One Os Your Favorite? / Pictures Taken At Jollof Festival In Lagos / Big Python And Bush Meat Killed By Me And My Friends.

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58