Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,498 members, 7,812,535 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 02:56 PM

See Where The Beggars In Nigeria Come From - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / See Where The Beggars In Nigeria Come From (6573 Views)

Beggars In Kano State Return To Streets / Dele Momodu: "I Don't Care If All Buhari's Appointments Come From Daura" / Shehu Sani Interacts With Beggars In Kaduna (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: See Where The Beggars In Nigeria Come From by scholes0(m): 11:11pm On Aug 13, 2015
igbobuigbo:

We are talking Kano here not Kwara. Duh! The study was conducted by SWners not me.

I said tell their tribes, since you claim to be gifted in the ability to identify yorubas among hausas. While You are saying something else.
Why will a Yoruba South Westerner beggar leave Lagos, Ibadan, Benin, Abeokuta, Akure where there is actually more disposable cash Etc, and go beg in the far North to constitute 17% there, if they are not northerners themseves....

3 Likes

Re: See Where The Beggars In Nigeria Come From by igbobuigbo: 11:16pm On Aug 13, 2015
totit:

Lol

Yoruba population is higher than Ibo

Where so?
Re: See Where The Beggars In Nigeria Come From by igbobuigbo: 11:17pm On Aug 13, 2015
scholes0:

I said tell their tribes, since you claim to be gifted in the ability to identify yorubas among hausas. While You are saying something else.
Why will a Yoruba South Westerner beggar leave Lagos, Ibadan, Benin, Abeokuta, Akure where there is actually more disposable cash Etc, and go beg in the far North to constitute 17% there, if they are not northerners themseves....

So the yoruba beggars in the SE are also northern Yorubas? Your logic is warped.

4 Likes

Re: See Where The Beggars In Nigeria Come From by totit: 11:20pm On Aug 13, 2015
igbobuigbo:

Where so?

Before I engage u, do you belief in stats and figures ?
Re: See Where The Beggars In Nigeria Come From by igbobuigbo: 11:21pm On Aug 13, 2015
scholes0:

Yoruba beggars
https://www.nairaland.com/149827/emerging-social-almajiris-yorubaland
Re: See Where The Beggars In Nigeria Come From by scholes0(m): 11:22pm On Aug 13, 2015
igbobuigbo:

So the yoruba beggars in the SE are also northern Yorubas? Your logic is warped.

How so? 99.2% of beggars in Enugu were Igbo and Hausa. Yoruba beggars there is virtually negligible.
that is to tell you that if a south westerner wants to even go about begging, they prefer doing it in their region.
Re: See Where The Beggars In Nigeria Come From by igbobuigbo: 11:24pm On Aug 13, 2015
totit:

Before I engage u, do you belief in stats and figures ?

I simply asking you in what place is Yoruba pop higher than Igbo pop.

3 Likes

Re: See Where The Beggars In Nigeria Come From by scholes0(m): 11:24pm On Aug 13, 2015
igbobuigbo:

Yoruba beggars
https://www.nairaland.com/149827/emerging-social-almajiris-yorubaland

You are posting a link to a Thread talking about yoruba beggars IN YORUBALAND.
durh
Re: See Where The Beggars In Nigeria Come From by totit: 11:26pm On Aug 13, 2015
igbobuigbo:

I simply asking you in what place is Yoruba pop higher than Igbo pop.

It's ok

grin

Nigeria Tribes and People

We hope to answer any question you might have about Nigeria Tribes here. Recent statistics has shown that there is over 500 different tribes in Nigeria, while most people are very much aware of the three major tribes in Nigeria; Hausa Igbo and Yoruba, there myriad of other that are yet in obscurity

Hausa is the biggest tribe in Nigeria they are the major inhabitants of about 10 state in Nigeria which includes; Bauchi, Borno, Niger,Taraba, Jigawa, Kaduna, Kano, Kastina, Kebbi, Sokoto with traces in several other parts of the country.

The myth or origin of the Hausas began with the story of a man (Bayajidda) who ran away from the east to escape his fathers fury. and stumbled on some people that happened to be the today Hausa

The people (the Hausas) were Guarded (according to the myth) by a sacred snake that prevented them from getting water from their stream six days in a week. The man who later became their founder met a blacksmith who fashioned a knife with which he killed the snake and freed the people. In appreciation they gave him the princess of the land and they gave birth to the seven sons that made up the seven initial Hausa clans.

The Yorubas are the second amongst other Nigeria tribes, The Yoruba spiritual heritage signifiies that the Yoruba tribe are a unique people who were probably created at Ile-Ife. Legend holds that the creation was delegated by the suvreignity, Olodumare.

The name "Yoruba" is most likely an adaptation of 'Yo ru ebo', meaning "will venerate (make offerings to the) Orisha" Yoruba people remains one of the most traveled and advanced people from Western part of Africa.

The Igbos are the third largest tribe in Nigeria, they are the Nigeria industrialists. The Igbo myth of Origin traces thier origin from Nri, the myth narrates how Eri, the hero of the Igbos descended from above with his wife Namaku, he sat on an ant-hill as the land was waterlogged.

Later Chukwu Okike (The gods) sent a blacksmith who dried up the land with fire, charcoal and bellows. The couple subsequently begot four children, namely, Nri, Aguleri, Igbariam, and Amanuke in that other. And it is believed that the igbo race sprang up from this people and then the world.

Apart from the above mentioned three major tribes in Nigeria, there are about four hundred-plus other tribes like the Amo, Anaguta, Andoni, Angas, Fulani, dupe, Ibibio, Idoma, Ikwerre, Kalabari, Abou, Ijaw and several others

For Further reading About the country Nigeria see National Symbols of Nigeria Where is Nigeria? Find out now! And other Nigeria Tribes Nigeria Climate
- See more at: http://www.total-facts-about-nigeria.com/nigeria-tribes.html#sthash.4olJNqQj.dpuf
Re: See Where The Beggars In Nigeria Come From by igbobuigbo: 11:26pm On Aug 13, 2015
scholes0:

How so? 99.2% of beggars in Enugu were Igbo and Hausa. Yoruba beggars there is virtually negligible.
that is to tell you that if a south westerner wants to even go about begging, they prefer doing it in their region.

And how many igbos were found in the study begging in yorubaland? What is the difference between 0.8 and 2%? Very negligible

3 Likes

Re: See Where The Beggars In Nigeria Come From by igbobuigbo: 11:28pm On Aug 13, 2015
There has been no tribal census in Nigeria, so shove your crap.

totit:

It's ok

grin

Nigeria Tribes and People

We hope to answer any question you might have about Nigeria Tribes here. Recent statistics has shown that there is over 500 different tribes in Nigeria, while most people are very much aware of the three major tribes in Nigeria; Hausa Igbo and Yoruba, there myriad of other that are yet in obscurity

Hausa is the biggest tribe in Nigeria they are the major inhabitants of about 10 state in Nigeria which includes; Bauchi, Borno, Niger,Taraba, Jigawa, Kaduna, Kano, Kastina, Kebbi, Sokoto with traces in several other parts of the country.

The myth or origin of the Hausas began with the story of a man (Bayajidda) who ran away from the east to escape his fathers fury. and stumbled on some people that happened to be the today Hausa

The people (the Hausas) were Guarded (according to the myth) by a sacred snake that prevented them from getting water from their stream six days in a week. The man who later became their founder met a blacksmith who fashioned a knife with which he killed the snake and freed the people. In appreciation they gave him the princess of the land and they gave birth to the seven sons that made up the seven initial Hausa clans.

The Yorubas are the second amongst other Nigeria tribes, The Yoruba spiritual heritage signifiies that the Yoruba tribe are a unique people who were probably created at Ile-Ife. Legend holds that the creation was delegated by the suvreignity, Olodumare.

The name "Yoruba" is most likely an adaptation of 'Yo ru ebo', meaning "will venerate (make offerings to the) Orisha" Yoruba people remains one of the most traveled and advanced people from Western part of Africa.

The Igbos are the third largest tribe in Nigeria, they are the Nigeria industrialists. The Igbo myth of Origin traces thier origin from Nri, the myth narrates how Eri, the hero of the Igbos descended from above with his wife Namaku, he sat on an ant-hill as the land was waterlogged.

Later Chukwu Okike (The gods) sent a blacksmith who dried up the land with fire, charcoal and bellows. The couple subsequently begot four children, namely, Nri, Aguleri, Igbariam, and Amanuke in that other. And it is believed that the igbo race sprang up from this people and then the world.

Apart from the above mentioned three major tribes in Nigeria, there are about four hundred-plus other tribes like the Amo, Anaguta, Andoni, Angas, Fulani, dupe, Ibibio, Idoma, Ikwerre, Kalabari, Abou, Ijaw and several others

For Further reading About the country Nigeria see National Symbols of Nigeria Where is Nigeria? Find out now! And other Nigeria Tribes Nigeria Climate
- See more at: http://www.total-facts-about-nigeria.com/nigeria-tribes.html#sthash.4olJNqQj.dpuf

2 Likes

Re: See Where The Beggars In Nigeria Come From by scholes0(m): 11:29pm On Aug 13, 2015
igbobuigbo:

And how many igbos were found in the study begging in yorubaland? What is the difference between 0.8 and 2%?

1.2 is the difference... but that is not my concern. When did I ever concern myself with the number of Igbos begging in Yorubaland?
I am telling you is that the yorubas begging in kano are most likely Northern themselves.
The main intent of your thread is Yoruba vs igbo..... this time, beggars dimension, isnt it? cheesy
Re: See Where The Beggars In Nigeria Come From by totit: 11:31pm On Aug 13, 2015
igbobuigbo:
There has been no tribal census in Nigeria, so shove your crap.

Oh I see. You asked for it I gave it to you.

Anyway. Whatever you intentions are, does it matter as long as poverty rate in SW is lower than SE grin

It's
Re: See Where The Beggars In Nigeria Come From by totit: 11:33pm On Aug 13, 2015
scholes0:

1.2 is the difference... but that is not my concern. When did I ever concern myself with the number of Igbos begging in Yorubaland?
I am telling you is that the yorubas begging in kano are most likely Northern themselves.
The main intent of your thread is Yoruba vs igbo..... this time, beggars dimension, isnt it? cheesy

It's doesn't matter whether he's right or wrong,after all SW has lower poverty rate than SE.

Does it? grin
Re: See Where The Beggars In Nigeria Come From by igbobuigbo: 11:59pm On Aug 13, 2015
scholes0:

Again, your logic is warped. Take a look at the map of Nigeria. From Kwara to Kano and from Kwara to SW which is nearer? It is easier for a kwaran yoruba to move to SW than moving to Kano. Plus, the article states clearly that many of the beggars, especially those of SE and SW. were not originally beggars but people who fell into hard times. In any case, kwara yoruba=yoruba. Stop denying your people. Lol

1 Like 1 Share

Re: See Where The Beggars In Nigeria Come From by igbobuigbo: 12:01am On Aug 14, 2015
totit:

It's doesn't matter whether he's right or wrong,after all SW has lower poverty rate than SE.

Does it? grin

Divide SE poverty by population, do same for SW, then come back and tell me who actually is poorer.

4 Likes

Re: See Where The Beggars In Nigeria Come From by totit: 12:03am On Aug 14, 2015
igbobuigbo:

Divide SE poverty by population, do same for SW, then come back and tell me who actually is poorer.

Lol grin
I can't help but laugh
Re: See Where The Beggars In Nigeria Come From by igbobuigbo: 12:07am On Aug 14, 2015
totit:

Lol grin
I can't help but laugh

You can laugh but those hungry Osun workers are not laughing. Until you show me similar situation in SE, you can keep laughing.

3 Likes

Re: See Where The Beggars In Nigeria Come From by totit: 12:10am On Aug 14, 2015
igbobuigbo:

You can laugh but those hungry Osun workers are not laughing. Until you show me similar situation in SE, you can keep laughing.

Oh please let go of my mention now
Will you?
Re: See Where The Beggars In Nigeria Come From by igbobuigbo: 12:13am On Aug 14, 2015
totit:

Oh please let go of my mention now
Will you?

This is my thread. You are the intruder here.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: See Where The Beggars In Nigeria Come From by totit: 12:14am On Aug 14, 2015
igbobuigbo:

This is my thread. You are the intruder here.

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Oh I thought it's you forum after all?
Na wha oo
Re: See Where The Beggars In Nigeria Come From by jstbeinhonest(m): 12:26am On Aug 14, 2015
igbobuigbo:

U mock osunites lyk u dnt av ur own problems,44% of pple in ebonyi live below the poverty line.
Jst today d jamb register referred to ebonyi as one of d two southern states which are backwad educationally.
Re: See Where The Beggars In Nigeria Come From by igbobuigbo: 12:31am On Aug 14, 2015
scholes0:

Lol. If you score 2% in an exam and I score 0.8%, I guess you would be proud.
Re: See Where The Beggars In Nigeria Come From by igbobuigbo: 12:33am On Aug 14, 2015
jstbeinhonest:

U mock osunites lyk u dnt av ur own problems,44% of pple in ebonyi live below the poverty line.
Jst today d jamb register referred to ebonyi as one of d two southern states which are backwad educationally.

Yet SE is more literate than SW, even though you have more states and Ebonyi is lagging behind.

2 Likes

Re: See Where The Beggars In Nigeria Come From by jstbeinhonest(m): 12:56am On Aug 14, 2015
igbobuigbo:

Yet SE is more literate than SW, even though you have more states and Ebonyi is lagging behind.

More graduates? Yes! ,but,more literates? No!.
It comon knwldge dat the standard of education in d west is higher dan dat in d east.bsyds rumor av it dat d east churns out d highest expo centers.
#NoBadBlood.
Re: See Where The Beggars In Nigeria Come From by igbobuigbo: 1:03am On Aug 14, 2015
jstbeinhonest:

It comon knwldge dat the standard of education in d west is higher dan dat in d east.bsyds rumor av it dat d east churns out d highest expo centers.
#NoBadBlood.

Yes, both more literates and more graduates. One second with proof

Download PDF in link from NBS

https://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&client=ms-android-hms-tmobile-us&source=android-browser&q=literacy+levels+in+nigeria#q=literacy+levels+among+nigerian+zones

And also some maps here from BBC

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-16510922

Keep in mind that while Lagos is high on literacy, it does not represent SW (Yoruba literacy) because of its ethnic diversity

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: See Where The Beggars In Nigeria Come From by ikechu1278: 1:29am On Aug 14, 2015
Another myth bursting thread. Loving it
Re: See Where The Beggars In Nigeria Come From by Ucheosefoh(m): 1:53am On Aug 14, 2015
Factfull thread
Re: See Where The Beggars In Nigeria Come From by igbobuigbo: 2:02am On Aug 14, 2015
jstbeinhonest:

#NoBadBlood.

Common knowledge by who?

1 Like

Re: See Where The Beggars In Nigeria Come From by igbobuigbo: 2:04am On Aug 14, 2015
jstbeinhonest:

U mock osunites lyk u dnt av ur own ,44% of pple in ebonyi live below the poverty line.
Jst today d jamb register referred to eproblemsbonyi as one of d two southern states which are backwad educationally.

JAMB registrar is Oyerinde, a typical Yoruba man. Since he came in he stopped publishing JAMB data because it is not favoring SW, now he is making frivolous claims

3 Likes

Re: See Where The Beggars In Nigeria Come From by igbobuigbo: 2:10am On Aug 14, 2015
SE kids are also healthier

1 Like

Re: See Where The Beggars In Nigeria Come From by igbobuigbo: 2:16am On Aug 14, 2015
On adult education

The rates for males are higher than those of females. The rates are also higher in urban than in
the rural areas.
The result shows that among the States, Imo State had the highest literacy rate in English while
Lagos had the highest literacy rate in any language. Among the six geo-political Zones in
Nigeria, South East had the highest literacy rate in English while South West had the highest
literacy rate in any language. North West had the least literacy rate in English Language,
whereas North Central had the least literacy rate in any language

http://www.nigerianstat.gov.ng/pages/download/43

BTW, English is our official language

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Igbos Refuse To Send Condolence To Awolowo's Family / Fear Grips Bayelsa Politicians Over Kidnappers / Mrs Osinbajo To Grace AGJES 2017

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.