Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,589 members, 7,816,453 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:26 AM

Lagos Govt Seals Off 3 Firms - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Govt Seals Off 3 Firms (910 Views)

EFCC Seals Off Dasuki's Mansion In Kaduna (photos) / Igbo Traders Protest As Govt Seals Off Shops, Banks / Igbo Appeal To Lagos Govt, Police To Protect Them After Elections (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos Govt Seals Off 3 Firms by moneygurl: 3:30pm On Mar 24, 2009
ABOUT 5,000 workers of three companies were thrown out of office on Monday when the Lagos State Environment Protection Agency sealed off their premises for not complying with the state environmental law.

The companies included[b], WAHUM Company Limited, a manufacturing company at Adeniyi Jones in Ikeja; Positive Packaging Company in Ilupeju and Habib Global Venture at Igando Road[/b].

The head of Ecological and Conservation Department, (LASEPA), Mrs. Grace Yaya, who led the team that shut the companies, said that the companies had been served notice to clean up their environment, but they had refused.

According to a statement from the agency, a copy of which was made available to the Nigerian Tribune, WAHUM Company Limited allegedly violated the law by discharging untreated effluent indiscriminately into the public drains, silting of drainages outside the company premises, non-functional effluent treatment plants and stagnant drainage.

The agency also faulted Positive Packaging Company for poor management of adhesive waste and poor solid waste management, while Habib Venture was closed down for operating illegal tank firm.

http://www.tribune.com.ng/24032009/news/
Re: Lagos Govt Seals Off 3 Firms by tpia: 3:54pm On Mar 24, 2009
Re: Lagos Govt Seals Off 3 Firms by spikedcylinder: 3:59pm On Mar 24, 2009
I'm sure it was the responsibility of one of the "deprived" employees to follow up with the notices the companies had been served.
Re: Lagos Govt Seals Off 3 Firms by mustafar1: 4:10pm On Mar 24, 2009
so WAHUM is still at adeniyi jones. why dem no comply now? i guess they'll fix themselves and learn a lesson from this shutdown.
Re: Lagos Govt Seals Off 3 Firms by Kobojunkie: 4:14pm On Mar 24, 2009
WOW!! 5000 people. I hope this problem is resolved quickly!
Re: Lagos Govt Seals Off 3 Firms by Fhemmmy: 6:11pm On Mar 24, 2009
I so much praise Fashola and his people, they are doing so well.
Can you imagine how many pple cld be sickened from environmental pollution?
Fashola go on soun jare.
They should fine them too.
Re: Lagos Govt Seals Off 3 Firms by RichyBlacK(m): 6:23pm On Mar 24, 2009
tpia:

where are Nigerians nairalanders  to come and start abusing Lagos state govt for these actions.

The firms employees are being deprived of their livelihood nah. undecided

Yes, Lagos State government must protect the rights of poor people like Jubril Ibrahim. If I see Fashola in Lagos, Maryland, London, Washington DC, Dallas, or Abuja, and get the opportunity to talk to him, I will tell him that no development project should trample on the rights of citizens!

If we can match to the White House and tell George W. Bush, the then most powerful man in the world, that he is a mad man, why do you think we'll cringe to tell Fashola that he MUST respect the fundamental rights of Jubril Ibrahim? He is not above the law, and MUST respect the fundamental human rights of all residents of Lagos.

That's the problem with so many Nigerians, they've been so beaten up and intimidated that they'll accept anything some foolish "oga" does to them. Pathetic!
Re: Lagos Govt Seals Off 3 Firms by RichyBlacK(m): 6:30pm On Mar 24, 2009
@topic,

Those firms should comply with the environmental laws of Lagos State.

However, such laws MUST apply equally to all firms in Lagos. They must not give preferential treatment to Chief Adelabu's firm while shutting down Chief Onobrakpeya's company or sealing off Mr. Hu Jintau's firm. These laws must be equitably applied. As long as that is the case then all seems well.
Re: Lagos Govt Seals Off 3 Firms by spikedcylinder: 6:40pm On Mar 24, 2009
RichyBlacK:

@topic,

Those firms should comply with the environmental laws of Lagos State.

However, such laws MUST apply equally to all firms in Lagos. They must not give preferential treatment to Chief Adelabu's firm while shutting down Chief Onobrakpeya's company or sealing off Mr. Hu Jintau's firm. These laws must be equitably applied. As long as that is the case then all seems well.

How do you know these laws are not being equally applied?
Re: Lagos Govt Seals Off 3 Firms by mustafar1: 6:40pm On Mar 24, 2009
they also need to enforce laws regarding how the trucks that bring in raw material or whatever are parked. that area na like truck stop
Re: Lagos Govt Seals Off 3 Firms by tpia: 7:58pm On Mar 24, 2009
Re: Lagos Govt Seals Off 3 Firms by Kobojunkie: 8:48pm On Mar 24, 2009
must_a_far:

they also need to enforce laws regarding how the trucks that bring in raw material or whatever are parked. that area na like truck stop

sharrap!!! lol NAY-SAYER !!! roflmao!!
Re: Lagos Govt Seals Off 3 Firms by tpia: 8:51pm On Mar 24, 2009
Re: Lagos Govt Seals Off 3 Firms by damola1: 9:08pm On Mar 24, 2009
I know WAHUM has cut enough fingers all through my growing up years, not sure of the state now,
Re: Lagos Govt Seals Off 3 Firms by mustafar1: 9:08pm On Mar 24, 2009
Kobojunkie:

sharrap!!! lol NAY-SAYER !!! roflmao!!

KOBOJUNKIE, u know I wear my uniform with pride, honor, and all the be be lo. hope i didnt disappoint u? oh by the way its ANTI-NAYSAYER. grin grin grin grin
Re: Lagos Govt Seals Off 3 Firms by Kobojunkie: 9:37pm On Mar 24, 2009
must_a_far:

KOBOJUNKIE, u know I wear my uniform with pride, honor, and all the be be lo. hope i didnt disappoint u? oh by the way its ANTI-NAYSAYER. grin grin grin grin

roflmao!!
Re: Lagos Govt Seals Off 3 Firms by RichyBlacK(m): 9:39pm On Mar 24, 2009
tpia:

when people like you are hellbent on giving Lagos a bad name all over the place, then you can pardon the govt for not listening to your extremely biased views on any matter concerning the state.

If anyone is going to style themselves the "voice of the masses", then let them lead by actions (eg helping Ibrahim who they care about so much), not just by abusing anything they see the govt doing, as is your wont.

Its gotten to the point where you just automatically chant a particular mantra anytime certain topics pop up.

If its posting photos of Lagos slums and gutters, then you always show happiness.

I won't get tired of criticizing bad, anti-people policies. Jubril Ibrahim must be compensated for his loss. Likewise hundreds of others that have been shabbily treated by the thugs and touts employed by Lagos State. I like what Fashola is doing, his dreams and hopes for Lagos State. I really like is policies. However, he must pursue his objectives with deference to the rights of residents of Lagos. This most necessary in a society where seeking legal redress for wrongs is only available to the "rich and mighty".

Nigerians never like to point out the evil in their society and that's why Nigeria is in the condition it is in. People see injustice and look the other way murmuring "a beg dat one no consan me o". The day e go consan you, you go start to shout "holy ghost fire".

The first step to changing things on the ground is not to look the other way, but to acknowledge the problem. Most Nigerians haven't even started acknowledging that we have serious problems.
Re: Lagos Govt Seals Off 3 Firms by tpia: 11:57pm On Mar 24, 2009
Re: Lagos Govt Seals Off 3 Firms by bawomolo(m): 12:44am On Mar 25, 2009
I won't get tired of criticizing bad, anti-people policies. Jubril Ibrahim must be compensated for his loss.

what a man builds an illegal structure, probably never paid council taxes on the business and somehow deserves compensation? WTF.

Just because you get away with a crime, doesn't make it right.

This most necessary in a society where seeking legal redress for wrongs is only available to the "rich and mighty".

the demolishing of an illegal structure isn't a wrong. I didn't know Nigeria was a communist state where the people owned the land.
Re: Lagos Govt Seals Off 3 Firms by comfort3: 5:11pm On Mar 27, 2009
wink

(1) (Reply)

Court Declares Fani Kayode’s Aide Chioma Oluchi Anasoh Wanted / Hausas/fulani Fingered In Halliburton Bribery Scandal-yaradua Must Act Now. / Can you believe this!, Yar'adua Once A Mental Patient, By Sahara Reporters

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.