Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,669 members, 7,816,752 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:26 PM

6 Most Overrated Things Ever - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / 6 Most Overrated Things Ever (926 Views)

6 Most Fatal Stampedes In History / 6 Most Bizarre African Cultural Practice Still In Existence.[pics] / Boobs Are Overrated!!! Let's End This Madness (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

6 Most Overrated Things Ever by tcalc: 10:50am On Aug 14, 2015
If anything is trending, we tend to follow them blindly, without actually looking deeper into the hype. We don’t care if these things are worth our time and money or not. If it is popular, we go for it. That’s that. While a lot of things are overrated, here is a list of the most overrated things, in my opinion.

6. College Life
College life seems to be one, big, four year, party. Outwardly, it looks amazing, like a dream come true. College life is simply overrated. Beneath all the parties, there is a constant stress of having to perform. Of maintaining perfect grades with a perfect social life.The expectations out of college life are far too many. You have to impress people you don’t like just to make it to an esteemed group or club. College life is nothing like as seen on TV or movies.

5. Clubbing
Every person I have been acquainted with can’t wait for the weekend in order to hit the club. Is it the overpriced alcohol or the lack of space? Or could it be the vast number of public displays of affection, the intolerable amounts of smoke? You could have an equally good time at home with cheaper Origin and a nice group of friends. You wouldn’t have to spend hours standing in a single spot, bobbing your head up and down to the music. You could chill around at home while dancing to the same tunes and have fun!

4. Branded Clothing
Every year, people spend tons of money over clothes because they come from so called “brands”. Sure, you can’t be expected to buy clothes off the street and brands are required to a reasonable level to ensure quality and design. But what about overpriced, top of the line clothes, bags and shoes which make no sense, whatsoever? So someone has. People only desire it in order to show the world that they have nicer things. The job of clothes is to cover the body. If decent looking, reasonably priced ones do it, why do you need to spend an absurd amount of money on a label?

3. Celebrity Fame
Everyone around wants to be a celebrity, all of a sudden. There is something about the fame that absolutely wows them. Behind all that, is a terrible life of insecurity and uncertainty. Every move of yours is closely followed by the paparazzi. You have to look good all the time and deprive your tongue of delicious flavours. You may never leave the house without any makeup for it will make the front page of Nairaland. Every action is monitored. The whole world knows who you love and hate. A life of such scrutiny and lack of privacy isn’t worth any amount of money. It is simply overrated by people not willing to see the hard reality.

2. Smartphones
A smartphone is a creature comfort that we have come to accept as a basic necessity in life. In fact, it is just the opposite. It was a bothersome tool that makes sure you are connected to the whole world at all times. We are constantly available whether we like it or not. The basic need of a phone is to make calls. We use it as an addiction. Try spending a week without your smartphone and see the amount of peace and quiet that you will be blessed with. Check your email strictly when you are using your computer, play real life board games instead of virtual ones and spend time with your family. Now that is underrated.

1. Marriage
Marriage is one of those things that fail me. Absurd amount of money is spent on only exchanging a few words which make sure people are bound together forever and have to bear with each other until death. Sure, we has humans are social animals but why do we have to spend our whole life with only one person? We should be free to love as many people as we want as long each institution is pure. Why do you have to live with a single person forever in a constant, mundane routine? Marriage is overrated. One can be happy without it.

You can add yours
Re: 6 Most Overrated Things Ever by pussygotlips: 10:51am On Aug 14, 2015
Virginity
Re: 6 Most Overrated Things Ever by kestolove95(m): 11:11am On Aug 14, 2015
Religion
Re: 6 Most Overrated Things Ever by therealdeal10: 11:42am On Aug 14, 2015
Op i dnt tink marriage is over rated, if there's notin lyk marriage or starting a family hw will u av existed?? No offence buh marriage is kinda lyk a big deal
Re: 6 Most Overrated Things Ever by Nobody: 12:01pm On Aug 14, 2015
1. American article badly paraphrased. Put down your source because I smell plagiarism from a mile away.

2. The article writer must live a very boring life. Most things I agree with apart from clubbing.
Clubbing is needed to maintain sanity after a week of mundanity. I know no where else I can dance off-key and wouldn't get laughed at but clubs. Its the only place you're expected to act crazy sofar you're causing no one else harm. Doing it at home even with friends doesn't just cut it since we humans're social animals who enjoy being around others even if strangers.

To add to the list:

Sex.
Wealth.

Would've added 'relationships' but 'marriage' already took care of that.
Re: 6 Most Overrated Things Ever by tcalc: 12:04pm On Aug 14, 2015
therealdeal10:
Op i dnt tink marriage is over rated, if there's notin lyk marriage or starting a family hw will u av existed?? No offence buh marriage is kinda lyk a big deal
ure right with the bolded tho......but having in mind that marriage will come with the stress and pressure of living your life in accordance with someone else, then marriage is not for all.

I am not opposed to all individual marriages, just the ides of marriage as a universal goal.
Re: 6 Most Overrated Things Ever by therealdeal10: 12:20pm On Aug 14, 2015
Ok i guess u right den
Nt everybody cn cope wit d stress dat cums wit marriage

(1) (Reply)

The Only Reason Why I'm Here. / Why you should quit Bleaching / 10 Most Terrifying Civilizations In History Of The World – You Will Be Shocked

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.