Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,324 members, 7,815,631 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:37 PM

10 Things You Should Never Do If You Want To Succeed In Life. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 10 Things You Should Never Do If You Want To Succeed In Life. (1663 Views)

Fayose: "I Chose Kolapo Olusola To Succeed Me In Line With God's Leading" / I Will Support My Husband To Succeed – Aisha Buhari / I Am Afraid I did Not Succeed In The Election In Kogi, Bayelsa & Rivers - Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Things You Should Never Do If You Want To Succeed In Life. by lurlah2014(f): 4:34pm On Aug 14, 2015
The smartest thing any of us can do is to help other people succeed — because that way, we also succeed.
And that's why you should never:

1. Thoughtlessly waste other peoples' time:
How you treat people when it doesn't really matter especially when you're a leader says everything about you. Act like the people around you have more urgent needs than yours and you will never go wrong — and you will definitely be liked.

2. Ignore people "beneath" your level: ##We all do it.##
Here's an easy rule of thumb: Nod whenever you make eye contact. Or smile. Or (gasp!) even say hi. Just act like people exist.

3. Ask for too much (especially too soon):
People tend to help people who first help themselves. People tend to help people who first help them. And people definitely befriend people who look out for other people first, because we all want more of those people in our lives.

4. Ignore people in genuine need:
At the same time, some people aren't in a position to help themselves. They need a hand: a few dollars, some decent food, a warm coat.
Though I don't necessarily believe in karma, I do believe good things always come back to you, in the form of feeling good about yourself.
And that's reason enough to help people who find themselves on the downside of advantage.

5. Ask a question so you can talk:
Don't shoehorn in your opinions under false pretenses. Only ask a question if you genuinely want to know the answer. And when you do speak again, ask a follow-up question that helps you better understand the other person's point of view.
People like people who are genuinely interested in them — not in themselves.

6. Pull the "Do you know who I am?"
Say you really are somebody. People always like you better when you don't act like you know you're somebody — or that you think it entitles you to different treatment.

7. Forget to dial it back:
An unusual personality is a lot of fun … until it isn't. Yet when the going gets tough or a situation gets stressful, some people just can't stop "expressing their individuality."
Look. We know you're funny. We know you're quirky. We know you march to the beat of your own drum. Still, there's a time to play and a time to be serious, a time to be irreverent and a time to conform, a time to challenge and a time to back off.
Knowing when the situation requires you to stop justifying your words or actions with an unspoken "Hey, that's just me being me" can often be the difference between being likable and being an ass.

8. Mistake self-deprecation for permission:
Sometimes self-deprecation is genuine, but it's often a mask for insecurity. Never assume people who make fun of themselves give you permission to poke the same fun at them.
Only tease when you know it will be taken in the right spirit. Otherwise, if you feel the need to be funny, make fun of yourself.

9. Humble-brag:
Humblebragging is a form of bragging that tries to cover the brag with a veneer of humility so you can brag without appearing to brag. (Key word is appearing, because it's still easy to tell humblebraggers are quite tickled with themselves.
Or better yet, don't brag. Just be proud of what you've accomplished. Let others brag for you; if you've done cool things, don't worry--they will.

10. Push your opinions:
You know things. Cool things. Great things.
Awesome. But only share them in the right settings. If you're a mentor, share away. If you're a coach or a leader, share away. If you're the guy who just started a paleo diet, don't tell us all what to order.
Unless we ask. What's right for you may not be right for others; shoot, it might not even turn out to be right for you.
Like most things in life, offering helpful advice is all about picking your spots — just like winning friends and influencing people.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/what-will-hold-you-back-from-succeeding-2015-8#ixzz3intwhiDg
CC:LALASTICA

1 Like

Re: 10 Things You Should Never Do If You Want To Succeed In Life. by hardeniji(m): 4:35pm On Aug 14, 2015
am not here to comment bet to read comment
Re: 10 Things You Should Never Do If You Want To Succeed In Life. by lurlah2014(f): 4:36pm On Aug 14, 2015
GOOD read and learn from it
hardeniji:
am not here to comment bet to read comment
Re: 10 Things You Should Never Do If You Want To Succeed In Life. by Nobody: 4:59pm On Aug 14, 2015
nice writeup...
so am on track finally...
Re: 10 Things You Should Never Do If You Want To Succeed In Life. by anigbajumo(m): 5:12pm On Aug 14, 2015
lurlah2014:
The smartest thing any of us can do is to help other people succeed — because that way, we also succeed.
And that's why you should never:

1. Thoughtlessly waste other peoples' time:
How you treat people when it doesn't really matter especially when you're a leader says everything about you. Act like the people around you have more urgent needs than yours and you will never go wrong — and you will definitely be liked.

2. Ignore people "beneath" your level: ##We all do it.##
Here's an easy rule of thumb: Nod whenever you make eye contact. Or smile. Or (gasp!) even say hi. Just act like people exist.

3. Ask for too much (especially too soon):
People tend to help people who first help themselves. People tend to help people who first help them. And people definitely befriend people who look out for other people first, because we all want more of those people in our lives.

4. Ignore people in genuine need:
At the same time, some people aren't in a position to help themselves. They need a hand: a few dollars, some decent food, a warm coat.
Though I don't necessarily believe in karma, I do believe good things always come back to you, in the form of feeling good about yourself.
And that's reason enough to help people who find themselves on the downside of advantage.

5. Ask a question so you can talk:
Don't shoehorn in your opinions under false pretenses. Only ask a question if you genuinely want to know the answer. And when you do speak again, ask a follow-up question that helps you better understand the other person's point of view.
People like people who are genuinely interested in them — not in themselves.

6. Pull the "Do you know who I am?"
Say you really are somebody. People always like you better when you don't act like you know you're somebody — or that you think it entitles you to different treatment.

7. Forget to dial it back:
An unusual personality is a lot of fun … until it isn't. Yet when the going gets tough or a situation gets stressful, some people just can't stop "expressing their individuality."
Look. We know you're funny. We know you're quirky. We know you march to the beat of your own drum. Still, there's a time to play and a time to be serious, a time to be irreverent and a time to conform, a time to challenge and a time to back off.
Knowing when the situation requires you to stop justifying your words or actions with an unspoken "Hey, that's just me being me" can often be the difference between being likable and being an ass.

8. Mistake self-deprecation for permission:
Sometimes self-deprecation is genuine, but it's often a mask for insecurity. Never assume people who make fun of themselves give you permission to poke the same fun at them.
Only tease when you know it will be taken in the right spirit. Otherwise, if you feel the need to be funny, make fun of yourself.

9. Humble-brag:
Humblebragging is a form of bragging that tries to cover the brag with a veneer of humility so you can brag without appearing to brag. (Key word is appearing, because it's still easy to tell humblebraggers are quite tickled with themselves.
Or better yet, don't brag. Just be proud of what you've accomplished. Let others brag for you; if you've done cool things, don't worry--they will.

10. Push your opinions:
You know things. Cool things. Great things.
Awesome. But only share them in the right settings. If you're a mentor, share away. If you're a coach or a leader, share away. If you're the guy who just started a paleo diet, don't tell us all what to order.
Unless we ask. What's right for you may not be right for others; shoot, it might not even turn out to be right for you.
Like most things in life, offering helpful advice is all about picking your spots — just like winning friends and influencing people.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/what-will-hold-you-back-from-succeeding-2015-8#ixzz3intwhiDg
CC:LALASTICA

So na copy nd paste,Anywae clap 4yer self
Re: 10 Things You Should Never Do If You Want To Succeed In Life. by DaBullIT(m): 7:21pm On Aug 14, 2015
I want to comment
Re: 10 Things You Should Never Do If You Want To Succeed In Life. by collinsVP: 9:23pm On Aug 14, 2015
Thanks op. It does not matter if you copied or otherwise, the most import thing is that you have further passed the message. Kudos.
Re: 10 Things You Should Never Do If You Want To Succeed In Life. by lurlah2014(f): 8:47am On Aug 17, 2015
thanks
collinsVP:
Thanks op. It does not matter if you copied or otherwise, the most import thing is that you have further passed the message. Kudos.
Re: 10 Things You Should Never Do If You Want To Succeed In Life. by mrcasanova1(m): 9:12am On Aug 17, 2015
11. Study the habit of successful people.
Re: 10 Things You Should Never Do If You Want To Succeed In Life. by letsbet(m): 1:24am On Aug 18, 2015
Nice Post...I'll remember to nod or smile when I make eye contact with people next time. tho some people act like dicks sometimes when U acknowledge them.

(1) (Reply)

Buhari With David Cameron Travelling With Keke - (photo) / Why Did Governor Of Muslim Faith Order Closure Of Churches? This Is What He Said / Senate screens Buhari’s ministers – LIVE UPDATES

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.