Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,604 members, 7,827,274 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 09:59 AM

NNPC Reform: Nigeria Oil Workers Prepare For Showdown With Buhari - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / NNPC Reform: Nigeria Oil Workers Prepare For Showdown With Buhari (895 Views)

N500b Paris Club Refund: Labour Set For Showdown With Governors / Osinbajo, NASS Set For Showdown Over Vp's Refusal To Sign 4 Bills / Impeachment Threat: Pro, Anti-saraki Forces Set For Showdown (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

NNPC Reform: Nigeria Oil Workers Prepare For Showdown With Buhari by Franchise21(m): 9:44pm On Aug 14, 2015
Nigeria’s oil workers on Friday criticised the on-going reform in the oil and gas industry, and vowed to take steps to protect their members’ interest.
The workers, under the aegis of the National Union of Petroleum and Natural Gas Workers and Petroleum and Natural Gas Senior Staff Association of Nigeria, NUPENGASSAN, described the reform as a cover-up and vindictive actions against their members. They urged President Muhammadu Buhari to call the newly appointed Group Managing Director, GMD, of the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation, NNPC, Emmanuel Kachikwu, to order by direct him to stop the on-going sack in the Corporation.
Vowing to give equal response to whatever actions of government they consider capable of suppressing worker’s interests, the unions suggested that a team should be set up immediately to review Mr. Kachikwu’s actions so far in the interest of justice, equity and fairness.
Within two weeks of the commencement of the reform, Mr. Kachikwu has carried out massive restructuring of the management of the corporation.
Apart from the sack and re-composition of the board, Mr. Kachikwu has retired 38 top management staff, pruning the top hierarchy of the corporation from 122 to 83, while reducing the operational directorates from eight to four.
New Group Executive Directors, GEDs, have since been appointed for the new directorates, along with Group General Managers, GGMs, for the various divisions, a move the new oil chief said was to rid the corporation of corruption and make it more efficient and profitable.
Regardless, the oil workers in a joint statement by the President of the Petroleum and Natural Gas Senior Staff Association of Nigeria, PENGASSAN, Francis Johnson, and his counterpart in the National Union of Petroleum and Natural Gas Workers, NUPENG, Igwe Achese, accused the NNPC management of executing an agenda that did not carry the workers’ unions along.
The statement, which was also signed by their General Secretaries – Bayo Olowoshile and Joseph Ogbebor respectively- also accused Mr. Kachikwu of pursuing an agenda contrary to the idea canvassed by President Muhammadu Buhari.
“While we are fully in support of the fight against corruption, the fight itself should not be turned against workers whom government swore to protect,” the oil workers said.
“The ongoing exercise portends a great danger in the oil sector if workers are meant to bear the brunt of government’s current action where the fight against corruption is now being used as an act of vindictiveness against workers.”
The on-going exercise, the oil workers said, did not show any attempt to fight corruption and block leakages, but was “an act of cover up.”
“We dare the new GMD of NNPC, Dr. Ibe Kachikwu to recover the stolen trillions of Naira in the sector than retiring and sacking of innocent workers. We are quite sure that the on-going action is not the idea of our dear President Muhammadu Buhari, GCFR.”
As players in all spheres of the industry’s operation, the unions said they have been trying to meet with the President to review the on-going reforms in the NNPC, saying they have so far been kept in the dark by his protocol staff.
Despite being the representatives of organized workers in the industry, the union leaders claimed all their suggestions on the critical challenges affecting the on-going reforms were being not being considered by the authorities.
They listed the issues to include the review of industry policy and fiscal framework; cash call and counterpart funding obligations; stability of the downstream oil and gas sector; pipeline sabotage and oil theft.
On the NNPC restructuring, the oil workers said the gale of abrupt loss of jobs in the corporation was sending very wrong signals to their members throughout the oil and gas sector, particularly about their job security.
Reminding government of its promise to create jobs through the entire strata of the economy, they noted that the situation in the NNPC was likely to have the opposite effect.
“We believe people are not the problem, but the structure put in place. If there are strong structures and institutions, the organization will be a more effective place,” the unions stated.
“So instead of a blanket sacking of workers, which other organizations are likely to key into, government reforms should be geared towards putting in place effective and strong structures and institutions that will meet the numerous challenges currently bedevilling the oil and gas sector in particular and the nation in general.”

http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/188411-nnpc-reform-nigeria-oil-workers-prepare-for-showdown-with-buhari.html

1 Like

Re: NNPC Reform: Nigeria Oil Workers Prepare For Showdown With Buhari by Nobody: 9:46pm On Aug 14, 2015
I just don't understand this man's regime
Re: NNPC Reform: Nigeria Oil Workers Prepare For Showdown With Buhari by EgusiSoup: 9:47pm On Aug 14, 2015
Re: NNPC Reform: Nigeria Oil Workers Prepare For Showdown With Buhari by StOla: 9:48pm On Aug 14, 2015
As long as structural reforms are effected, redundant personnel must be sacked. I can tell you that majority of applicants to NNPC do so because it is a haven for the lazy who want to make lots of money with little or no input. No more food for lazy man.

However, only he who wears the shoe knows where it pinches.

2 Likes

Re: NNPC Reform: Nigeria Oil Workers Prepare For Showdown With Buhari by StOla: 9:50pm On Aug 14, 2015
islandprincess:

You cannot understand because you have become accustomed to the inefficiency of PDP's 16years of misrule.

Wait a little longer, and things shall become clear to you.

3 Likes

Re: NNPC Reform: Nigeria Oil Workers Prepare For Showdown With Buhari by dunsman(f): 9:51pm On Aug 14, 2015
This is to rubbish claims on a particular thread
www.nairaland.com/2526407/confessions...ive-seen-light-pmb that
says that have detected from d opposition party (pdp) to apc
I am using dis opportunity to tell you that my account was logged into
by a desperate masturbator and wrote an article I didn't.
my fellow wailers am strongly in d party am am going nowhere
barcanista, mogidi, fire fire, truck pusher e.tc. dunsman remain loyal
and forever will be.
propaganda runs in d party, propaganda runs in their blood
Re: NNPC Reform: Nigeria Oil Workers Prepare For Showdown With Buhari by Nobody: 9:55pm On Aug 14, 2015
[quote au

You cannot understand because you have become accustomed to the inefficiency of PDP's 16years of misrule.

Wait a little longer, and things shall become clear to you.[/quote]OK
Re: NNPC Reform: Nigeria Oil Workers Prepare For Showdown With Buhari by bettercreature(m): 9:55pm On Aug 14, 2015
islandprincess:
Maybe you need to further your education
These people should thread carefully,Pmb wont hesitate to sack all of them with immediate effect
Re: NNPC Reform: Nigeria Oil Workers Prepare For Showdown With Buhari by resty4(m): 9:58pm On Aug 14, 2015
D new md of nnpc is nothing bt a tool in d hand of confused daura dollard-dictator.
Re: NNPC Reform: Nigeria Oil Workers Prepare For Showdown With Buhari by Nobody: 9:58pm On Aug 14, 2015
bettercreature:
Maybe you need to further your education
futher it to where? Pls tell me
Re: NNPC Reform: Nigeria Oil Workers Prepare For Showdown With Buhari by bettercreature(m): 10:00pm On Aug 14, 2015
islandprincess:
futher it to where? Pls tell me
PHD if you havent gat one
Re: NNPC Reform: Nigeria Oil Workers Prepare For Showdown With Buhari by Nobody: 10:02pm On Aug 14, 2015
Hmm
Re: NNPC Reform: Nigeria Oil Workers Prepare For Showdown With Buhari by Nobody: 10:03pm On Aug 14, 2015
bettercreature:
PHD if you havent gat one
will you sponsor me
Re: NNPC Reform: Nigeria Oil Workers Prepare For Showdown With Buhari by bettercreature(m): 10:04pm On Aug 14, 2015
islandprincess:
will you sponsor me
Ofcourse if you promise to marry me when you are through
Re: NNPC Reform: Nigeria Oil Workers Prepare For Showdown With Buhari by ITbomb(m): 10:04pm On Aug 14, 2015
Buhari would be wishing it was the military era when he comes face to face with the reality of his fighting corruption
Re: NNPC Reform: Nigeria Oil Workers Prepare For Showdown With Buhari by Jorussia(m): 10:06pm On Aug 14, 2015
.the GMD should carry on with his on going plan to turn NNPC into a standard oil corporation in line with global best practice.this kind of negative reactions from both NUPENG and PENGASSEN is expected, as the managements and staffs of NNPC,will naturally allow the current non efficient status quo to remain.
Re: NNPC Reform: Nigeria Oil Workers Prepare For Showdown With Buhari by dustydee: 10:12pm On Aug 14, 2015
Why are the unions jittery? The GMD hasn't sacked any of their members yet but I know they are afraid the "dead woods" will be purged.
Re: NNPC Reform: Nigeria Oil Workers Prepare For Showdown With Buhari by doctokwus: 10:12pm On Aug 14, 2015
Eventhough its inevitable that a few innocent and competent staff maybe lost to the restructuring,it's the price those few have to pay for the corruption and incompetence of the many.
It happens all over the world even with giant corporations:when restructuring is done for efficiency and profitability,there is an across board downsizing that affects some staffs even those companies regret to lose,but it just has to be done.
The days of any union holding the nation to ransom in the petroleum sector so that they can continue with their inefficiency and corruption are over.
The whole nation,worse even with workers in the private sector are passing through hard times due to several years of corruption, mismanagement and utter cluelessness.
Everyone should adjust and braceup for more layoffs and tougher times for now. Hopefully with the right policies,hammer blow on corruption and a more secure country,the good times would come back before PMB completes his first 4years

(1) (Reply)

"I Will Continue To Be Grateful To General Sani Abacha":Governor Fayose(Pics) / Real Reason Why Buhari sacked Immigration Comptroller / What Ogbonnaya Onu Told His Friend

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.