Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,895 members, 7,814,024 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 01:39 AM

NNPC Retires 1000 Staff - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / NNPC Retires 1000 Staff (46180 Views)

Nigeria Customs Fires 61 & Retires 16 Officers Over Certificate Forgery / Ecobank sacks 1000+ Staff / Cyril Stober Of Nta Retires From Service At Nta, Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NNPC Retires 1000 Staff by MrMcJay(m): 10:50am On Aug 17, 2015
hinwazaka:

A republican mole who will actually be in cohorts with the supposed froggy eyed woman. You and your supporters don't know what will hit you

Why then are you wailing?
Re: NNPC Retires 1000 Staff by Nobody: 10:50am On Aug 17, 2015
laudate:

Huh? Did you read Miranda11's comment? My post was done in response to her remarks, oh!

Your stand was no different from your earlier posts.
Re: NNPC Retires 1000 Staff by tsdarkside(m): 10:51am On Aug 17, 2015
Miranda11:
If the 1000 are incompetent and have no value to add, then they shld go because there are a lot of incompetent hands in NNPC. A lot of the staff were recruited on a man know man basis which is not bad if they are competent to do the job and can add value to NNPC, but unfortunately this has not been the case so what's the need keeping some1 that has no value to add that's just a waste of moneyed . That money can be used to employ pple who are more competent and have value to add in order to help NNPC become a more profitable and efficient corporation.

This cleansing should apply to the entire agencies and parastatals under the Ministry of Petroleum Resources and the federal civil service. To deserve a job with the Govt you must be competent to perform, gone are the days when incompetent pple are employed on a man know man basis. Change is truly here indeed.

yea..you want to have the job,be the best in it...!!! how?? learn ,learn and learn...we should even apply it to the churches...anybody that dont understand that,he should be a saint in the church must be sacked!!!!.........
Re: NNPC Retires 1000 Staff by j4sure(m): 10:51am On Aug 17, 2015
Oya go home and Go and learn a skill
Re: NNPC Retires 1000 Staff by jbcul4ril(m): 10:51am On Aug 17, 2015
Some jobless youth in this country dont even know their right from left> This retirement of old quacks who dont want retire will definitely give room for more employment whether we like it or not. We should appreciate and encourage it. Change is here Nigerians. cheesy

6 Likes

Re: NNPC Retires 1000 Staff by Eruditor: 10:52am On Aug 17, 2015
Laudate,

I am not sure you read the article well. Or maybe your primordial dislike for his background or ideologies is tainting your understanding of some of his actions.

The article said 2 things.

1. About 800 of the 1000 were already on their way out due to AGE and years of service.

2. That he is not responsible for the lower cadre retrenchments. He only handled that of the GEDs, GGMs and GMs and he has delegated the responsibility of weeding out redundant, unproductive, overaged and overworked staff to those below him.

It is also important to take note that there is an ongoing recruitment process for EH and GT that I am sure will be used to replace some of the redundant workers in due time.

7 Likes

Re: NNPC Retires 1000 Staff by Millz404(m): 10:53am On Aug 17, 2015
Grabs biro and paper

Start drafting cv

Laptop bat3 dead

Starts Running to business center
Re: NNPC Retires 1000 Staff by ePUNK: 10:54am On Aug 17, 2015
laudate:
I said it before, and Kachikwu is proving me right... "the undertakers have arrived."

This man will go down in history, as the one who supervised the demise of NNPC. angry

you do not know anything
Re: NNPC Retires 1000 Staff by paix(m): 10:58am On Aug 17, 2015
laudate:

Very funny! sad Provide proof please, that the entire 1,000 people were incompetent. This is one problem with Nigeria. You guys will shout blue murder if the affected people are your kinsmen, but as long as they remain faceless... you really do not care. There is something called professional experience, institutional memory etc. All these will be lost in a single day, because some clowns sat down and decided to lay off 1,000 people in one fell swoop instead of taking time out to conduct a thorough investigation, then gradually phase out those who are not pulling their weight, within the system. A well-structured handover and succession process would then be instituted, as these people gradually wind down, and leave the system. Was that done in this case?? Kindly let us know. shocked

And where are the more competent people that are to be employed? Is it from the pool of unemployed graduates on our shores, that do not even know how to write a single business case or memo?? undecided

A man takes over as GMD of NNPC and in just one week decides that the first thing to do, is sack 1,000 people. It is not as if any process was automated, that made these people redundant. It is not that a new process or structure was instituted, that did not require the presence of so many people. It is not as if any major departmental function was outsourced. So what was the criteria used in laying off this huge number of staff? sad

What is the total number of staff employed by NNPC that would justify laying off 1,000 people? And do they even have enough money to pay off their terminal benefits in a timely manner?? undecided
You're right my dear.
Re: NNPC Retires 1000 Staff by PLSHELEP: 10:58am On Aug 17, 2015
Why it's good to read before making a comment. The 1000 to be sacked are people approaching retirement with one and a half years left for service. And for another of your question, NNPC employs 9500 staffs... And before you start asking numerous questions like you know more than these people doing the restructuring, ask yourself if you know more than them and if they've also got brains like you do or perhaps better brains. Don't just assume they also don't take your concerns into consideration, also maybe you want to look at the achievements of the new GMD to reassure yourself that he's probably of the right track.
laudate:

Very funny! sad Provide proof please, that the entire 1,000 people were incompetent. This is one problem with Nigeria. You guys will shout blue murder if the affected people are your kinsmen, but as long as they remain faceless... you really do not care. There is something called professional experience, institutional memory etc. All these will be lost in a single day, because some clowns sat down and decided to lay off 1,000 people in one fell swoop instead of taking time out to conduct a thorough investigation, then gradually phase out those who are not pulling their weight, within the system. A well-structured handover and succession process would then be instituted, as these people gradually wind down, and leave the system. Was that done in this case?? Kindly let us know. shocked

And where are the more competent people that are to be employed? Is it from the pool of unemployed graduates on our shores, that do not even know how to write a single business case or memo?? undecided

A man takes over as GMD of NNPC and in just one week decides that the first thing to do, is sack 1,000 people. It is not as if any process was automated, that made these people redundant. It is not that a new process or structure was instituted, that did not require the presence of so many people. It is not as if any major departmental function was outsourced. So what was the criteria used in laying off this huge number of staff? sad

What is the total number of staff employed by NNPC that would justify laying off 1,000 people? And do they even have enough money to pay off their terminal benefits in a timely manner?? undecided

1 Like

Re: NNPC Retires 1000 Staff by hinwazaka: 10:59am On Aug 17, 2015
MrMcJay:

Why then are you wailing?
Am wailing on your account
Re: NNPC Retires 1000 Staff by laudate: 10:59am On Aug 17, 2015
Eruditor:
Laudate,

I am not sure you read the article well. Or maybe your primordial dislike for his background or ideologies is tainting your understanding of some of his actions.

1. About 800 of the 1000 were already on their way out due to AGE and years of service.

2. That he is not responsible for the lower cadre retrenchments. He only handled that of the GEDs, GGMs and GMs and he has delegated the responsibility of weeding out redundant, unproductive, overaged and overworked staff to those below him.

It is also important to take note that there is an ongoing recruitment process for EH and GT that I am sure will be used to replace some of the redundant workers in due time.

Eruditor... stop jumping to conclusions. Kindly point out where I said I have a "..... primordial dislike for his background or ideologies is tainting your understanding of some of his actions," to use your own words. You are so quick to play this ridiculous card, which has no basis in reality.

Kindly refer to my last post made at 8.44 am where I had said:

There is something called professional experience, institutional memory etc. All these will be lost in a single day, because some clowns sat down and decided to lay off 1,000 people in one fell swoop instead of taking time out to conduct a thorough investigation, then gradually phase out those who are not pulling their weight, within the system. A well-structured handover and succession process would then be instituted, as these people gradually wind down, and leave the system. Was that done in this case?? Kindly let us know. shocked shocked

Even the unions are up in arms alleging that due process, was not followed. The union is made up of active members of the oil & gas industry, who also work within the system. Why does their claim contradict the GMD's own?
Re: NNPC Retires 1000 Staff by Nobody: 11:01am On Aug 17, 2015
laudate:
I said it before, and Kachikwu is proving me right... "the undertakers have arrived."

This man will go down in history, as the one who supervised the demise of NNPC. angry

The Corporation is being restructured and not liquidated, is good , How can someone stay 35yrs ina place and not be able to set up a business to employ other people imagine, where is his/her contribution, the excessive stay in paid employment is the reason we have so many jobless youths in the country, these guys dont do anything they just go to work and sleep.

Say no to work till you die policy.

3 Likes

Re: NNPC Retires 1000 Staff by MrMcJay(m): 11:02am On Aug 17, 2015
hinwazaka:

Am wailing on your account

You don't want to waste your energy. You are still going to 2023 bro!
Re: NNPC Retires 1000 Staff by Ramos16(m): 11:03am On Aug 17, 2015
I hope this means there is going to be job opening for 1000 more people, we need these jobs
Re: NNPC Retires 1000 Staff by laudate: 11:07am On Aug 17, 2015
PLSHELEP:
Why it's good to read before making a comment. The 1000 to be sacked are people approaching retirement with one and a half years left for service. And for another of your question, NNPC employs 9500 staffs... And before you start asking numerous questions like you know more than these people doing the restructuring, ask yourself if you know more than them and if they've also got brains like you do or perhaps better brains. Don't just assume they also don't take your concerns into consideration, also maybe you want to look at the achievements of the new GMD to reassure yourself that he's probably of the right track.

Point of correction... only 800 out of the 1,000 are approaching retirement.

Even many of them still have more than one and half years to go, before they attain retirement age. The remaining 200-plus, (since the report says they are over 1,000 people) are not due for retirement. So what criteria was applied in disengaging them, from the system and why were the unions not carried along during the process? shocked

Why was it also done in just the first week, that the GMD assumed office?

Finally, why should my concerns be taken into consideration before the exercise was carried out? Do I work in NNPC??

And why are you passing comments about their 'brains?' sad
Re: NNPC Retires 1000 Staff by chetaraph(m): 11:07am On Aug 17, 2015
Eruditor:
Laudate,

which one b EH and GT jare. And aw can I get info about the ongoing recruitment. Looking at d brighter side of the story.
Re: NNPC Retires 1000 Staff by laudate: 11:10am On Aug 17, 2015
kaeforum:

The Corporation is being restructured and not liquidated, is good , How can someone stay 35yrs ina place and not be able to set up a business to employ other people imagine, where is his/her contribution, the excessive stay in paid employment is the reason we have so many jobless youths in the country, these guys dont do anything they just go to work and sleep.

Say no to work till you die policy.

Hehehe... Guy, let us wait and see the result, now. Come back to this thread in 18 months and share your observations. May God keep us all, till then!
Re: NNPC Retires 1000 Staff by unite4real: 11:11am On Aug 17, 2015
Yungwizzzy:
1000 dropped to employ 5000 of their relatives and friends

Only when PDP is in power. This is the dawn of a new era.
Re: NNPC Retires 1000 Staff by kay9(m): 11:13am On Aug 17, 2015
smokes:
@ laudate why dont you provide proof that performance review wasnt used in downsizing or are u thinking that appraisals arent done and records kept?

I don't mean to defend laudate's demands for "proof", but the very fact that the new GMD hasn't even been in office for up to TWO WEEKS and already plans to sack 1,000 people... bros me, something is NOT being properly done.

Yes, NNPC is over-bloated with lots of "white elephant" personnel, but you can't tell me that in just a little over 1 week, Mr. Kachi has done a comprehensive appraisal of all concerned staff AND identified all those that are under-performing. C'mon, let's be realistic here. It was also mentioned that people due for retirement by December 2016 will be laid off as well. Like seriously?? Eziokwu?? Please someone should inform the new boss that doing that is actually a crime, and that the laid-off workers will have a VERY solid case in court. So unless his real motive is to sink the NNPC into an even bigger mess, he should re-think his strategies. And what about disengagement packages? Or, does he intend to sack and continue round 2 in settlement courts?

Anything worth doing is worth doing well; the NNPC needs downsizing, yes, but it must be done right - fairly and equitably, on the basis of low performance indices and non-qualification for the given role - not by a knee-jerk pronouncement.

1 Like

Re: NNPC Retires 1000 Staff by mars123(m): 11:13am On Aug 17, 2015
laudate:

No, you are the one that is thinking like 'a small man'. And it is that mediocrity that oozes from your words. So, because a man attends Harvard, you feel it gives him the right to toy with the fortunes of an entire corporation, and destroy the lives and careers of 1,000 people in one fell swoop? Even in America where Harvard is located, such things cannot be done in just 1 week, or you would be hit with multiple law suits from every corner! undecided

Like I explained in my very first post in this thread, there is a process and procedure for carrying out such things in a structured manner. You do not just get into a seat or position of power, and the first thing you do is to lay off people in under 1 week. Is he an undertaker sent to supervise the demise of NNPC? shocked
he who wears the shoe, knows where it pinches...it is agreed world-wide that there was irregularity with the way NNPC was managed, if you agree with that, you'll also agree that certain measures need to be taken to correct this irregularity. drastic situations,drastic measures...The NNPC has statutory laws that governs its operations and there is nothing this new GMD has done that goes against it, he should know better than to go against the governing laws...but if you're sentimental because of your political affiliation, I'm not sorry.

1 Like

Re: NNPC Retires 1000 Staff by laudate: 11:17am On Aug 17, 2015
kay9:

I don't mean to defend laudate's demands for "proof", but the very fact that the new GMD hasn't even been in office for up to TWO WEEKS and already plans to sack 1,000 people... bros me, something is NOT being properly done.

Yes, NNPC is over-bloated with lots of "white elephant" personnel, but you can't tell me that in just a little over 1 week, Mr. Kachi has done a comprehensive appraisal of all concerned staff AND identified all those that are under-performing. C'mon, let's be realistic here. It was also mentioned that people due for retirement by December 2016 will be laid off as well. Like seriously?? Eziokwu?? Please someone should inform the new boss that doing that is actually a crime, and that the laid-off workers will have a VERY solid case in court. So unless his real motive is to sink the NNPC into an even bigger mess, he should re-think his strategies. And what about disengagement packages? Or, does he intend to sack and continue round 2 in settlement courts?

Anything worth doing is worth doing well; the NNPC needs downsizing, yes, but it must be done right - fairly, equitably - not by a knee-jerk pronouncement.

Thank you for actually taking out time to read, digest and understand my post. Those are the right words: "fairly & equitably". wink
Re: NNPC Retires 1000 Staff by 2sex(m): 11:21am On Aug 17, 2015
Miranda11:
Laudate it seems ur really aggrieved with the current restructuring going on at NNPC, why is that, are u an employee of NNPC?

Maybe you shld request to have an audience with Ibe Kachikwu and make ur feelings known to him.

only someone who didn't plan their future would fear retirement or sack.
Re: NNPC Retires 1000 Staff by mozel247: 11:23am On Aug 17, 2015
laudate:

Get it right Mr man. Read in between line. Affected staff are those who are suppose attain mandatory retirement age of 60 by next year December. What that means is that u are suppose to go next year... Go now and u get all ur compensation upto ur next year
Re: NNPC Retires 1000 Staff by Nobody: 11:25am On Aug 17, 2015
kay9:

Anything worth doing is worth doing well; the NNPC needs downsizing, yes, but it must be done right - fairly and equitably, on the basis of low performance indices and non-qualification for the given role - not by a knee-jerk pronouncement.
no need to waste time! All Nigerians are corrupt except buhari and his family. grin grin
Re: NNPC Retires 1000 Staff by kay9(m): 11:28am On Aug 17, 2015
laudate:

Thank you for actually taking out time to read, digest and understand my post. Those are the right words: "fairly & equitably". wink

You are very welcome, but really, no thanks are needed. I always try to read (and listen) objectively. And to be quite honest, I personally think the current batch of directors at NNPC (including the new GMD) are compromised in one way or another - top of my head, I would suggest contracting a reliable and proven management/audit firm to take charge of NNPC and do a comprehensive clean-up. But then, it's just my opinion and no matter how strongly I feel about how things are with NNPC, the truth remains that I do NOT have all the facts. So... there. smiley

1 Like

Re: NNPC Retires 1000 Staff by AfroKnight: 11:30am On Aug 17, 2015
Sack them. They wrecked the corporation. The corruption in NNPC is only rivalled by that of the Police.
Re: NNPC Retires 1000 Staff by FUCKINGNIGAZ: 11:36am On Aug 17, 2015
FVCK Y'ALL NIGAZ, have you so soon forgotten the glories and successes of past military regimes and your Northern masters?
BORN TO RULE FOREVER. Notherners are your natural Masters, obey and submit to their authority, only they can save you all.
may ALLAH bless Nigeria. Nagode!
Re: NNPC Retires 1000 Staff by excellentmomma(f): 11:38am On Aug 17, 2015
34 years in NNPC and some people are crying for their retirement? Like seriously?

Do they know their retirement/severance package and pensions? I tell you those guys are made, don't cry more than the bereaved.

3 Likes

Re: NNPC Retires 1000 Staff by laudate: 11:39am On Aug 17, 2015
FUCKINGNIGAZ:
FVCK Y'ALL NIGAZ, have you so soon forgotten the glories and successes of past military regimes and your Northern masters?
BORN TO RULE FOREVER. Notherners are your natural Masters, obey and submit to their authority, only they can save you all.
may ALLAH bless Nigeria. Nagode!

Another lunatic on the loose! angry

1 Like

Re: NNPC Retires 1000 Staff by Setaje(f): 11:40am On Aug 17, 2015
laudate:

And this is exactly what happened to my dad. Loosing the best because of retrenchment. In my dad's days, retrenchment was by bad belle. The first list were people who have gotten three queries or people who have been caught doing fraudulent activities. The second batch was d worst. As your seniors or people who u denied their family members contract will try and include your name on the list. Some lied on their colleagues. A lot of atrocities have happened in nnpc. But kachikwu should have this in mind. If he last 2 years in that place. Then he is a strong man. In the history of nnpc, there have been only two outsiders. Kachikwu is the second. Usually people that head nnpc are people who were once staffs. In the last 38 years that nnpc was established, they have had about 14 to 15 gmds, meaning that each of them has spent an average of 2 and a half years. one gmd spent 3 months and the first ever gmd spent 5 years. The rest it's usually 2 years, 3 years etc!. Kachikwu does not no how nnpc operates and they will deal wiv him the way they dealt wiv stella oduah in the aviation industry. All this are initial gra gra. The rot in nnpc is crazy. The biggest problem nnpc has is government involvement. The other day, El rufai said a nnpc should be scraped. Ignoramus were saying yes it should. Bla bla bla. I have it on good authority that El rufai said that because his brother was denied a slot to be importing fuel. His brother is not an oil marketer but he wanted to use his influence for his brother and he was refused. Days later he came out to say nnpc should be scrapped.

Any rich and influential man that knows his onus should never venture into Nigerian politics because they will rubbish u the way they have rubbished okonjo. Anybody that wants to run Nigeria effectively must come wiv clean hands. If he thinks he can install his family members there. Everything is being documented. I know nnpc like a plate of rice.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Molten Iron At An Indian Steel Company In Lagos Kills Many Nigerians Working / Vulcanizer Dies After Tyre Explodes While Working In His Workshop.Graphic Photos / Recruits Passing-Out From Depot Nigerian Army Today - Congratulations!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.