Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,613 members, 7,813,008 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:42 AM

KIRIJI : The World's Longest Civil War By Any Ethnic Group - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / KIRIJI : The World's Longest Civil War By Any Ethnic Group (16435 Views)

Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? / FG Committed To Winning Boko Haram War By December 31 – Lai Mohammed / OOGUN KIRIJI -the World’s Longest Ethnic Civil War (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: KIRIJI : The World's Longest Civil War By Any Ethnic Group by Missy89(f): 6:18pm On Aug 18, 2015
SirShymexx:

This war is the reason why ya folks and Ekiti folks despise both my Ijebu and Egba folks. And I'm starting to have some reservations about Eastern Yoruba people (though Ijebu folks are geographical more central and Eastern Yorubas than Western and I believe culturally, we have more in common with Ondo/Ilaje and Ijeshas than other Yoruba folks).

Your arses got whopped by Ibadan. However, rather than direct ya hate towards Ibadan folks - you had to pick on other people as scapegoats. It is similar to how Igbo folks chase Yorubas everywhere, rather than face the Northerners who were their nemesis during the Biafran war. It must be an Eastern thing loool.

i would think the hatred has to do with post colonization and the power structure in the old western region. My opinion thou.

As far as i know right now no one really cares about the Ijebu and egbas anymore. My people have close ties with edo anyway and hardly break a sweat over what western Yorubas are up to. Ibadan didnt whop any arse. It was a stalemate cool
Re: KIRIJI : The World's Longest Civil War By Any Ethnic Group by coolzeal(m): 7:23pm On Aug 18, 2015
Missy89:

i dont so tell me
I believe if there's a mutual understanding between all the Southern states, we did kick out the current state of this nation to greatness indeed but, history has shown itself repeatedly again and again. In nutshell, your kinsmen are naturally cowards and betrayers... Go figure..

1 Like

Re: KIRIJI : The World's Longest Civil War By Any Ethnic Group by Missy89(f): 7:38pm On Aug 18, 2015
coolzeal:
I believe if there's a mutual understanding between all the Southern states, we did kick out the current state of this nation to greatness indeed but, history has shown itself repeatedly again and again. In nutshell, your kinsmen are naturally cowards and betrayers... Go figure..

You are not making any sense. My question to you was simple.

How did the south west subjugate themselves to the north? it is a simple question you have failed to answer. Instead you are running from pillar to post. If you have a good student of history, tell me which part of the south aligned with the north after independence.

If you dont have any factual thing to say dont waste my time and go sit on the sidelines somewhere and leave the thread for battle hardened contributors. I dont have time for tribal bickering

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: KIRIJI : The World's Longest Civil War By Any Ethnic Group by coolzeal(m): 10:27pm On Aug 18, 2015
Missy89:

You are not making any sense. My question to you was simple.

How did the south west subjugate themselves to the north? it is a simple question you have failed to answer. Instead you are running from pillar to post. If you have a good student of history, tell me which part of the south aligned with the north after independence.

If you dont have any factual thing to say dont waste my time and go sit on the sidelines somewhere and leave the thread for battle hardened contributors. I dont have time for tribal bickering
Chief Awolowo has been variously accused of introducing tribalism into the Nigerian politics. He chased Dr Azikiwe out of the Ibadan in 1954 when the NCNC headed by Azikiwe won majority seats in the West Nigerian House of Assembly and through a palace coup called cross carpeting Zik was denied the Premiership of Western Nigeria, at a time when Professor Eyo Ita, an Efik was premier of Eastern Region and Alhaji Umoru Altine , a Fulani, was Mayor of Enugu. Dr Azikiwe, following the footsteps of Awolowo, had to frustrate Professor Eyo Ita out of Enugu. Chief Awolowo and Sir Ahmadu Bello seems to have a deeper understanding of the Nigerian complexities than Dr Azikiwe.
While Awolowo never trusted the Igbos, the north never trusted Awolowo and theYorubas. The northern oligarchy instigated crisis in Western Nigeria in the same manner President Obasanjo used the Uba brothers to instigate crisis in Anambra State. This crisis led to the trumped up charges leading to the trial and imprisonment of Awolowo . Reports has it that he was to be poisoned in prison before the military coup altered the state of affairs.

I would've gone further but No!!... Let me keep it that way madam.. Have a nice day.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: KIRIJI : The World's Longest Civil War By Any Ethnic Group by Missy89(f): 10:52pm On Aug 18, 2015
coolzeal:
Chief Awolowo has been variously accused of introducing tribalism into the Nigerian politics. He chased Dr Azikiwe out of the Ibadan in 1954 when the NCNC headed by Azikiwe won majority seats in the West Nigerian House of Assembly and through a palace coup called cross carpeting Zik was denied the Premiership of Western Nigeria, at a time when Professor Eyo Ita, an Efik was premier of Eastern Region and Alhaji Umoru Altine , a Fulani, was Mayor of Enugu. Dr Azikiwe, following the footsteps of Awolowo, had to frustrate Professor Eyo Ita out of Enugu. Chief Awolowo and Sir Ahmadu Bello seems to have a deeper understanding of the Nigerian complexities than Dr Azikiwe.
While Awolowo never trusted the Igbos, the north never trusted Awolowo and theYorubas. The northern oligarchy instigated crisis in Western Nigeria in the same manner President Obasanjo used the Uba brothers to instigate crisis in Anambra State. This crisis led to the trumped up charges leading to the trial and imprisonment of Awolowo . Reports has it that he was to be poisoned in prison before the military coup altered the state of affairs.

I would've gone further but No!!... Let me keep it that way madam.. Have a nice day.

More rants!
Still searching for an answer. How is the SW subjugated by the North or do you need English lessons now?

move over if you have nothing important to contribute

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: KIRIJI : The World's Longest Civil War By Any Ethnic Group by Duru1(m): 11:01pm On Aug 18, 2015
ahkenaten:
OGUN Kiriji. The World’s Longest Civil War by any Ethnic Group (1877-1893).

The Kiriji War, an epic battle fought by the Yoruba for 16 years, is believed to be the World’s Longest Civil War by any ethnic group. The war, according to historians, was the fiercest tribal war among the Yoruba ethnic group of Southwest Nigeria and the Kiriji War, which ended almost 122 years ago led to the signing of a Peace Treaty on September 23, 1886..

How the War Started:

* Ibadan, a relatively new establishment that had the honour of filling the oversized shoes of the former Oyo Empire as the protector of the Yoruba nation against external attacks. But the military successes and wealth raked in by Ibadan in its military expeditions soon posed serious challenges.

* Like all global super-powers, Ibadan was said to embark on an expansionist programme that extended its reach to much of Yorubaland. It started appointing District Officers known as ‘Ajeles’ to rule the conquered territories on its behalf.

* It did not take long for the ‘Ajeles’ to transform into despots. They became corrupt and power-drunk, demanding ridiculous homage and exorbitant tributes.

* The Yoruba vassal states of Ijesha and Ekiti revolted and massacred the Ibadan-appointed ‘Ajeles’.

* They formed a confederacy called Ekiti Parapo (Ekiti Brotherhood) and declared their independence from Ibadan.

* Ibadan knew the dire consequences of allowing such action to go unpunished as it would encourage other conquered territories to declare independence.

* Ibadan wanted a centralized political system, with a central economy, a command military structure, a central administration and a forcefully united Yoruba Nation, while the other Yoruba subgroups wanted a decentralized structure, where all the federating units would be autonomous and would be able to plan their political future based on their own heritage.

* This led to the epic Yoruba war called the Kiriji War in 1877 when the Ibadan police, navy, infantry and artillery soldiers, led by ‘General’ Obadoke Latoosa invaded the entire commonwealth of Yoruba nation, pummeled the sacred institutions, raided the markets and the deepest hinterlands and sought to proclaim a forcefully united Yoruba nation.

* Kiriji war is the longest civil war by any ethnic group (1877 -1893) lasting 16years.The Major Actors and Causalities:

* Ibadan was led by its commander-in-chief, Aare Obadoke Latosa, while the Ekiti Parapo army was led by Fabunmi of Oke-Imesi.

* The Ibadan army pitched their camp at Igbajo while the Ekiti Parapo camped at Imesi-Ile.

* Somewhere along the line, Saraibi Ogedengbe (famously known as Ogedengbe Agbogungboro), the Balogun of Ijeshaland, became the General/Commander-in-Chiefof the Ekiti Parapo army, and the appointment greatly influenced the turn of events, as Ogedengbe was a renowned military strategist.

* The war got its name (Kiriji) from the thunderous sound “kiriiiiiiiiji”of the cannon guns which the Ekitiparapo purchased in large numbers. The cannon gave them an advantage over the Ibadans.* Ekiti Parapo enlisted several Yoruba tribes like Igbomina, Akoko, Egbe, Kabba and the Oworro (a Yoruba sub-tribe in Lokoja, Kogi State).

* Lagos, Ijebu and Egba were said to have assisted Ekiti Parapo against Ibadan, seen by all, as a common threat to the Yoruba commonwealth.

* Ilara Mokin in Ondo State was said to have been the headquarters of the Ekiti Parapo secret service.

* Several Yoruba towns, such as Osogun and Ijaiye, were wiped out in the course of the war. Igbajo barely escaped total destruction.* Eventually, Ibadan found itself fighting on five fronts. First, in the South against theEgba who confined their activities to raids and surprise attacks; secondly, against the Ijebu, in the same south, who pitched a camp against them at Oru under Balogun Onafowokan; thirdly, the main war at Kiriji in the East, where their forces fought a long battle against the Ekiti and Ijesa (Ekiti-Parapo forces) under the command of Ogedengbe; fourthly, at Offa in the north, where they faced the Ilorin Fulani who pitched their camp against the people of Offa (an ally of Ibadan); and finally at Ile-Ife where the Ife people joined the alliance against them in 1882.

* However, in spite of Ibadan's disadvantages in the war, these five forces could not effect its defeat. A state of stalemate was reached, from which only the intervention of an outside force could redeem the whole Yoruba Nation.

Point of correction, the Kiriji War was the longest wrestling match over cocoa yam tubers in any tribal engagement.

3 Likes

Re: KIRIJI : The World's Longest Civil War By Any Ethnic Group by Duru1(m): 11:07pm On Aug 18, 2015
Missy89:

More rants!
Still searching for an answer. How is the SW subjugated by the North or do you need English lessons now?

move over if you have nothing important to contribute

Please do not pay any mind to those bloody jackasses. The Sokoto Caliphate in conjunction with Nupe handymen ran Yari.ba out of Oyo Ile 30 miles north of Ilorin. If you look closely to the ethnic patches from the northern part of Niger State to Badagari, you will see the remnants of escaping Yari.ba peeps along the way.

2 Likes

Re: KIRIJI : The World's Longest Civil War By Any Ethnic Group by Shymm3x: 4:18pm On Aug 19, 2015
Missy89:

i would think the hatred has to do with post colonization and the power structure in the old western region. My opinion thou.

As far as i know right now no one really cares about the Ijebu and egbas anymore. My people have close ties with edo anyway and hardly break a sweat over what western Yorubas are up to. Ibadan didnt whop any arse. It was a stalemate cool

Lmao @ stalemate after annihilating a lot of ya towns and villages. I'd give you props for fighting for ya freedom after long periods of serfdom in perpetual servitude under both Oyo and Bini. So fighting against a new overlord in Ibadan was the right thing to do - and I respect that. You fought like warriors, till the bitter end, and I respect that. But the Ibadan warriors were bad arses, kicking all kinds of arses from Ilorin, to Ife, to Ekiti, to Ijesha, to Ondo - and even the Egbas were not left out of the equation. grin

Stay with Edos and stop hating on Ijebus. Shyte, we love you and if anything, you ought to reciprocate the gesture. Dammit! cool Bring ya Ondo arse here to Ijebu papi chulo. wink
Re: KIRIJI : The World's Longest Civil War By Any Ethnic Group by Katsumoto: 5:08pm On Aug 19, 2015
coolzeal:

Do you have the breakdown of the election results? I hope your source is not one of the often repeated but never fact-supported ones.

The Election was in 1951 and not 1954.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: KIRIJI : The World's Longest Civil War By Any Ethnic Group by Katsumoto: 5:09pm On Aug 19, 2015
kilokeys:
Hnmm.. I think i know why it lasted for 16 years.. grin

Both parties were busy shouting.. Ahhhh Ahhhh emi emi.!! undecided for a cummulative time frame of about 15 years 6 months.. cheesy

Damn but this shi.t is funny grin grin grin grin

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: KIRIJI : The World's Longest Civil War By Any Ethnic Group by tpiaT: 5:28pm On Aug 19, 2015
Shymm3x:

Lmao @ stalemate after annihilating a lot of ya towns and villages. I'd give you props for fighting for ya freedom after long periods of serfdom in perpetual servitude under both Oyo and Bini. So fighting against a new overlord in Ibadan was the right thing to do - and I respect that. You fought like warriors, till the bitter end, and I respect that. But the Ibadan warriors were bad arses, kicking all kinds of arses from Ilorin, to Ife, to Ekiti, to Ijesha, to Ondo - and even the Egbas were not left out of the equation. grin

Stay with Edos and stop hating on Ijebus. Shyte, we love you and if anything, you ought to reciprocate the gesture. Dammit! cool Bring ya Ondo arse here to Ijebu papi chulo. wink

this is i.diotic, stop fomenting hate moreso you're not even Nigerian.

its your types who fueled the war.

2 Likes

Re: KIRIJI : The World's Longest Civil War By Any Ethnic Group by Katsumoto: 5:28pm On Aug 19, 2015
AustineE1:
Op pls do not misinform the populace,atleast we read about the Kiriji war and no where was it mentioned that Ekiti Parapo or Ibadan purchased canon guns.It was stated clearly from the book i read,that the war was notable for its use of charms,even Obadoke Latoosa whom you said was a general,was refered to as a notorious babalawo(native doctor). I dont know where you got your story line from,its full of sensationalism.
And history puts it that the war only ended when the Fulanis joined the Oyo empire and it was observed that their intention was to take over the entire Yoruba land,and equaly enslave the populace,this made the war weary yorubas to immediately call for a truce....the book simply puts it that the coming of the Fulanis was the game changer. Pls get your facts right.

What book are you referring to? So we can ascertain why it doesn't have that Ekiti Parapo used Cannons.
Was it the same book that referred to Aare Latoosa as a notorious babalawo? It is obvious you don't know the differences between a Babalawo and a native doctor or medicine man.

You completely missed the boat with your comment about Fulani joining Oyo. Who were the Fulani and Oyo participants in the war? Where did they fight their battles? I think you should take your own advice in getting your facts right before venturing into a debate you are ill-equuipped for.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: KIRIJI : The World's Longest Civil War By Any Ethnic Group by tpiaT: 5:30pm On Aug 19, 2015
Missy89:

Edo is a recent creation, you may be of Edo descent, that doesn't mean the whole region must follow you join.

The area was formerly known as Midwest, there are no "ties" Edo has to Yoruba which other areas don't also have. Even regions outside Nigeria have ties to Nigeria/west Africa/you name it. Its called globalization, the world is a global village.

You may want to brush up on your history.

The internet has really messed up a lot of things here.

btw, those using Akure as a buzzword, need to shut the heck up.
Re: KIRIJI : The World's Longest Civil War By Any Ethnic Group by Shymm3x: 6:23pm On Aug 19, 2015
tpiaT:

this is i.diotic, stop fomenting hate moreso you're not even Nigerian.

its your types who fueled the war.

Tilapia, I guess you have never heard about the word "banter", no? grin

No one is fomenting hate, missy89 is my on/off e-wife.

I admire all Yoruba subgroups - no hate around here, woman. undecided

1 Like

Re: KIRIJI : The World's Longest Civil War By Any Ethnic Group by Shymm3x: 6:25pm On Aug 19, 2015
Katsumoto:

What book are you referring to? So we can ascertain why it doesn't have that Ekiti Parapo used Cannons.
Was it the same book that referred to Aare Latoosa as a notorious babalawo? It is obvious you don't know the differences between a Babalawo and a native doctor or medicine man.

You completely missed the boat with your comment about Fulani joining Oyo. Who were the Fulani and Oyo participants in the war? Where did they fight their battles? I think you should take your own advice in getting your facts right before venturing into a debate you are ill-equuipped for.

And the Duke of Yorubaland is here!

Good to see you again, Sir.

Anyhoo, I need to ask you a few things about what's going on in Ife and the selection of the next king, since the place is important to all Yorubas.

1 Like

Re: KIRIJI : The World's Longest Civil War By Any Ethnic Group by tpiaT: 6:36pm On Aug 19, 2015
Shymm3x:

my mama is Tilapia, I guess you have never heard about the word "banter", no? grin

No one is fomenting hate, missy89 is my on/off e-wife.

I admire all Yoruba subgroups - no hate around here, woman. undecided

if I don't insult you, then don't insult me, thanks.

my user id is tpiaT, I think you can read.

I called you an i.diot, I did not substitute the id "shymmexx" for baboon or wild animal.

so you should get a life and stop being an uncultured irritant, thanks.

1 Like

Re: KIRIJI : The World's Longest Civil War By Any Ethnic Group by tpiaT: 6:37pm On Aug 19, 2015
Shymm3x:

Anyhoo, I need to ask you a few things about what's going on in Ife and the selection of the next king, since the place is important to all Yorubas.

that does not mean it is important to you.

just keep it moving until you get to the next thread.
Re: KIRIJI : The World's Longest Civil War By Any Ethnic Group by Shymm3x: 6:43pm On Aug 19, 2015
tpiaT:

that does not mean it is important to you.

just keep it moving until you get to the next thread.

tpiaT:

if I don't insult you, then don't insult me, thanks.

my user id is tpiaT, I think you can read.

I called you an i.diot, I did not substitute the id "shymmexx" for baboon or wild animal.

so you should get a life and stop being an uncultured irritant, thanks.

You done lost ya darn cotton picking mind, Tilapia. grin

Go take ya meds and stop disturbing me. Just press the red button and your carers would come give you the help you need.

1 Like

Re: KIRIJI : The World's Longest Civil War By Any Ethnic Group by Missy89(f): 8:09pm On Aug 19, 2015
tpiaT:

Edo is a recent creation, you may be of Edo descent, that doesn't mean the whole region must follow you join.

The area was formerly known as Midwest, there are no "ties" Edo has to Yoruba which other areas don't also have. Even regions outside Nigeria have ties to Nigeria/west Africa/you name it. Its called globalization, the world is a global village.

You may want to brush up on your history.

The internet has really messed up a lot of things here.

btw, those using Akure as a buzzword, need to shut the heck up.

huh
Re: KIRIJI : The World's Longest Civil War By Any Ethnic Group by tpiaT: 8:20pm On Aug 19, 2015
Shymm3x:

I done lost my darn cotton picking mind, my mama Tilapia. grin

Go take ya meds and stop disturbing me. Just press the red button and your carers would come give you the help you need.
Re: KIRIJI : The World's Longest Civil War By Any Ethnic Group by Nobody: 8:32pm On Aug 19, 2015
cool

1 Like

Re: KIRIJI : The World's Longest Civil War By Any Ethnic Group by tpiaT: 8:37pm On Aug 19, 2015
Re: KIRIJI : The World's Longest Civil War By Any Ethnic Group by tpiaT: 8:49pm On Aug 19, 2015
Re: KIRIJI : The World's Longest Civil War By Any Ethnic Group by Katsumoto: 8:56pm On Aug 19, 2015
Shymm3x:

SirShymexx

Glad to see you too.

9jacrip is more of an authority on Ife matters. He is from there and I believe he is very active in that circle.

Nevertheless, regardless of what rumours or stories are out there, only the king makers know what will guide their selection of the next Ooni.

But if its a general question, I may be able to help.

2 Likes

Re: KIRIJI : The World's Longest Civil War By Any Ethnic Group by patrick89(m): 9:27pm On Aug 19, 2015
9jacrip:
cool
I don't like this picture, because I'm sure igbo gene is involved. grin grin
Re: KIRIJI : The World's Longest Civil War By Any Ethnic Group by Nobody: 9:33pm On Aug 19, 2015
Katsumoto:

SirShymexx

Glad to see you too.

9jacrip is more of an authority on Ife matters. He is from there and I believe he is very active in that circle.

Nevertheless, regardless of what rumours or stories are out there, only the king makers know what will guide their selection of the next Ooni.

Authority keh? Egbon mi, iyen po o.

I'll be willing to add whatever little I can though.

I must say I do not like what appears to be like a campaign from Prince Aderemi with his recent appearance in the media.

1 Like

Re: KIRIJI : The World's Longest Civil War By Any Ethnic Group by Nobody: 9:33pm On Aug 19, 2015
patrick89:

I don't like this picture, because I'm sure igbo gene is involved. grin grin

Na.
Fully Yoruba.
She is a goddess.

1 Like

Re: KIRIJI : The World's Longest Civil War By Any Ethnic Group by Shymm3x: 10:22pm On Aug 19, 2015
Katsumoto:

SirShymexx

Glad to see you too.

Oh Okay. I was just going to ask if the tradition is still the same as the past when the next king is selected after consultations with gods via Ifa, selection of someone from the kingship family that's next in line - or it's a political thing now.

Anyway, I'll see ask 9jacrip as well.
Re: KIRIJI : The World's Longest Civil War By Any Ethnic Group by Shymm3x: 10:23pm On Aug 19, 2015
9jacrip:

Authority keh? Egbon mi, iyen po o.

I'll be willing to add whatever little I can though.

I must say I do not like what appears to be like a campaign from Prince Aderemi with his recent appearance in the media.

Which kingship/royal family is next in line?

And how many kingship/royal families are in Ife?
Re: KIRIJI : The World's Longest Civil War By Any Ethnic Group by Nobody: 9:55am On Aug 20, 2015
Shymm3x:

Which kingship/royal family is next in line?

And how many kingship/royal families are in Ife?

Sir, it is really hard to tell but if they want to play fair (which they should) then Giesi should be next since Ogboru produced the two Sijuades and Osinkola the Aderemi; all recent.

The order of rotation originally was:

Ogboru
Osinkola
Giesi
Lafogido

But the intrigues that happened after Aderemi brought Sijuade II as his successor which should originally have produced someone from Giesi.

3 Likes

Re: KIRIJI : The World's Longest Civil War By Any Ethnic Group by Shymm3x: 4:51pm On Aug 20, 2015
9jacrip:

Sir, it is really hard to tell but if they want to play fair (which they should) then Giesi should be next since Ogboru produced the two Sijuades and Osinkola the Aderemi; all recent.

The order of rotation originally was:

Ogboru
Osinkola
Giesi
Lafogido

But the intrigues that happened after Aderemi brought Sijuade II as his successor which should originally have produced someone from Giesi.

Thanks, bruddah. Very interesting.

And please, I'm not a "Sir" - just a young nyggah running around trying to out-compete the intricacies of life. grin
Re: KIRIJI : The World's Longest Civil War By Any Ethnic Group by Nobody: 5:05pm On Aug 20, 2015
Shymm3x:

Thanks, bruddah. Very interesting.

And please, I'm not a "Sir" - just a young nyggah running around trying to out-compete the intricacies of life. grin

I find it quite interesting as well and I'm trying to keep up with the process.

I hear you, aren't we all trying to outdo the intricacies of life, sir? grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

BREAKING !! Massive Pro-Biafran Protests In London Pictures / South Africa's High Commissioner To Nigeria Denies Xenophobic Attacks / Adeleke Arrested: Stop This Madness - Fani-kayode To Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.