Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,617 members, 7,813,033 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 05:10 AM

KIRIJI : The World's Longest Civil War By Any Ethnic Group - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / KIRIJI : The World's Longest Civil War By Any Ethnic Group (16436 Views)

Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? / FG Committed To Winning Boko Haram War By December 31 – Lai Mohammed / OOGUN KIRIJI -the World’s Longest Ethnic Civil War (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: KIRIJI : The World's Longest Civil War By Any Ethnic Group by Shymm3x: 5:20pm On Aug 20, 2015
9jacrip:

I find it quite interesting as well and I'm trying to keep up with the process.

I hear you, aren't we all trying to outdo the intricacies of life, sir? grin grin

Hopefully, the right man would be selected by the gods, devoid of the usual politics involved in the bastardisation of African cultures/traditions in general. And since Ife is the home of all Yorubas - I think this will also present an opportunity for those of us in this generation who are interested in Yoruba culture/tradition to have an idea about how the whole process works.

Err, would all the Yoruba kings whose crowns came from Ife and, Benin be present at the coronation of whatever new king is selected?

Lol. I hear that. We all are. grin
Re: KIRIJI : The World's Longest Civil War By Any Ethnic Group by tpiander: 5:31pm On Aug 20, 2015
all these people still replying shymmexx, is he feeding you?
Re: KIRIJI : The World's Longest Civil War By Any Ethnic Group by Shymm3x: 5:41pm On Aug 20, 2015

1 Like

Re: KIRIJI : The World's Longest Civil War By Any Ethnic Group by tpiander: 6:10pm On Aug 20, 2015
Re: KIRIJI : The World's Longest Civil War By Any Ethnic Group by Nobody: 6:16pm On Aug 20, 2015
Shymm3x:

Hopefully, the right man would be selected by the gods, devoid of the usual politics involved in the bastardisation of African cultures/traditions in general. And since Ife is the home of all Yorubas - I think this will also present an opportunity for those of us in this generation who are interested in Yoruba culture/tradition to have an idea about how the whole process works.

Err, would all the Yoruba kings whose crowns came from Ife and, Benin be present at the coronation of whatever new king is selected?

Lol. I hear that. We all are. grin

What happened with Sijuade II might be a dangerous precedence for successive nominees for the throne. Although, I have not really dug into the intrigues of the contest of that period but I know for sure it was not Ogboru's turn but rather Giesi - yet, Sijuade emerged as the Ooni thereby 'cheating' the Ogboru out of their turn. I hope the Kingmakers and especially the Araba will relay Ifa's pick and the Obalufe with the other chiefs follow through and not let themselves be influenced by whatever and put someone else in the seat.

I feel blessed to be part of the generation to witness the ushering in of a new Ooni because I think it will be an opportunity to be learn the processes involved as it is available to me on the outside and on the inside.

No, the Yoruba kings will be in their domains but upon Ifa selection but messengers will be sent to these kingdoms to give word on the result before it is announced to the public.

1 Like

Re: KIRIJI : The World's Longest Civil War By Any Ethnic Group by itstpia8: 3:34pm On Apr 14, 2016
kettykin:
What really is a civil war, when 2 villages fight over farm lands can it be said to be a civil war

the whole west was devastated, and also Nigeria.
Re: KIRIJI : The World's Longest Civil War By Any Ethnic Group by Ayus34(m): 6:19pm On Apr 14, 2016
AustineE1:
Op pls do not misinform the populace,atleast we read about the Kiriji war and no where was it mentioned that Ekiti Parapo or Ibadan purchased canon guns.It was stated clearly from the book i read,that the war was notable for its use of charms,even Obadoke Latoosa whom you said was a general,was refered to as a notorious babalawo(native doctor). I dont know where you got your story line from,its full of sensationalism.
And history puts it that the war only ended when the Fulanis joined the Oyo empire and it was observed that their intention was to take over the entire Yoruba land,and equaly enslave the populace,this made the war weary yorubas to immediately call for a truce....the book simply puts it that the coming of the Fulanis was the game changer. Pls get your facts right.
Ur story is that of someone with epilepsy.....u need to tell us the author of that rubbish ,title......reason its important not to just read,but get quality book with trusted author.
Re: KIRIJI : The World's Longest Civil War By Any Ethnic Group by pamcode(m): 8:19pm On Apr 14, 2016
Ibadan warriors were one of the d best in yorubaland and it was just because of the unity between them and the fact that Ibadan was formed by different warriors from different yoruba region
Re: KIRIJI : The World's Longest Civil War By Any Ethnic Group by Axiwaju(m): 11:30am On Jun 25, 2018
Bollove:
I am not blaming those who fought back I.e. EkitiParapo ...... I am blaming those who wanna colonize their fellow brothers I.e Ibadan ....... What if Are Latoosa of Ibadan with Ijebu and Egba warriors match towards West Africa and they keep warring until say Senagal while Ogedengbe and Fabunmi Oke-Imesi with their Ekiti/Ijesha warrior March towards East Nigeria to South Africa
Imagine what Yoruba empire would have been now, Imagine Latoosa/Fabunmi and Ogedengbe being on the same team ..... Instead they started fighting each other for 16 damn years !!!
Afonja also mess it by ceding Ilorin to Fulanis due to internal warring noni

It never stop till date,
Tinubu/Ambode vs Fashola
Tinubu/Akande/Obasanjo vs Bode george
Tinubu vs Bukola Saraki
Tinubu vs Obasanjo
Awolowo vs Akintola
and many more that has happened and is happening

I ain't ignorant of what Oyo empire was then , read my posts there is no where I display ignorance of OYO Empire ...........?? I just do not appreciate Kiriji war and Ibadan imperialism then !!!

The reason why Hausa/Fulani expanded so exceedingly well was because internal rancour is minimal and can be easily quashed !!!

lol what evil has TINUBU DONE U? /B grin
Bollove:
I am not blaming those who fought back I.e. EkitiParapo ...... I am blaming those who wanna colonize their fellow brothers I.e Ibadan ....... What if Are Latoosa of Ibadan with Ijebu and Egba warriors match towards West Africa and they keep warring until say Senagal while Ogedengbe and Fabunmi Oke-Imesi with their Ekiti/Ijesha warrior March towards East Nigeria to South Africa
Imagine what Yoruba empire would have been now, Imagine Latoosa/Fabunmi and Ogedengbe being on the same team ..... Instead they started fighting each other for 16 damn years !!!
Afonja also mess it by ceding Ilorin to Fulanis due to internal warring noni

It never stop till date,
Tinubu/Ambode vs Fashola
Tinubu/Akande/Obasanjo vs Bode george
Tinubu vs Bukola Saraki
Tinubu vs Obasanjo
Awolowo vs Akintola
and many more that has happened and is happening

I ain't ignorant of what Oyo empire was then , read my posts there is no where I display ignorance of OYO Empire ...........?? I just do not appreciate Kiriji war and Ibadan imperialism then !!!

The reason why Hausa/Fulani expanded so exceedingly well was because internal rancour is minimal and can be easily quashed !!!

lol what evil has TINUBU DONE U? /B

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Adeleke Arrested: Stop This Madness - Fani-kayode To Buhari / Nigerian Engineers Decorate Buhari As Patron / President Buhari Reinstates 3 Suspended Permanent Secretaries

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.