Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,107 members, 7,811,118 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 12:09 AM

Interesting Programming Quotes - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Interesting Programming Quotes (932 Views)

Daily Quotes With Image Editor / How To Improve The Best Motivational Quotes Android App? / Quotes Needed For Website Development (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Interesting Programming Quotes by valonsoft(m): 9:29pm On Aug 18, 2015
Saw these quotes for one website like that and decided to share it with the house. Some are quite funny, some inspiring, some enlightening, some may even seem to be wrong to some gurus, but we can agree that they are interesting quotes

“ Java is to JavaScript what Car is to Carpet. ” - Chris Heilmann

“ It's hard enough to find an error in your code when you're looking for it; it's even harder when you've assumed your code is error-free. ” - Steve McConnel
“ Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it. ” - Brian Kernighan
“ It's not at all important to get it right the first time. It's vitally important to get it right the last time. ” - Andrew Hunt and David Thoma
“ First, solve the problem. Then, write the code. ” - John Johnson
“ Should array indices start at 0 or 1? My compromise of 0.5 was rejected without, I thought, proper consideration. ” - Stan Kelly-Bootle
“ Linux is only free if your time has no value. ” - Jamie Zawinsk
“ There is not now, nor has there ever been, nor will there ever be, any programming language in which it is the least bit difficult to write bad code. ” - Flon's Law
“ Good code is its own best documentation. As you're about to add a comment, ask yourself, "How can I improve the code so that this comment isn't needed?" Improve the code and then document it to make it even clearer. ” - Steve McConnel
“ Programming can be fun, so can cryptography; however they should not be combined. ” - Kreitzberg and Shneiderman
“ Before software can be reusable it first has to be usable. ” - Ralph Johnson
“ Without requirements or design, programming is the art of adding bugs to an empty text file. ” - Louis Srygley
“ When someone says, "I want a programming language in which I need only say what I want done," give him a lollipop. ” - Alan Perlis
“ Any code of your own that you haven't looked at for six or more months might as well have been written by someone else. ” - Eagleson's law

feel free to add yours

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Interesting Programming Quotes by JackOfAllTrades: 10:42pm On Aug 18, 2015

Don't reinvent the wheels unless you want to learn about wheels
Re: Interesting Programming Quotes by Nobody: 10:53pm On Aug 18, 2015
Without requirements or design, programming is the art of adding bugs to an empty textfile. ” - Louis Srygley..

legendary
Re: Interesting Programming Quotes by valonsoft(m): 11:14pm On Aug 18, 2015
let's learn from some of the ogas at the top

Much of my work has come from being lazy. I didn’t like writing programs, and so, when I was working on the IBM 701, writing programs for computing missile trajectories, I started work on a programming system to make it easier to write programs. -John W. Backus, FORTRAN developer

The best way to prepare [to be a programmer] is to write programs, and to study great programs that other people have written. In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and fished out listings of their operating system– Bill Gates, Microsoft co-founder

I will, in fact, claim that the difference between a bad programmer and a good one is whether he considers his code or his data structures more important. Bad programmers worry about the code. Good programmers worry about data structures and their relationships.– Linus Torvalds, creator of Linux
Re: Interesting Programming Quotes by Nobody: 7:42am On Aug 19, 2015
"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to build bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning." - Rick Cook

"A C program is like a fast dance on a newly waxed dance floor by people carrying razors." - Waldi Ravens.

“Computer science education cannot make anybody an expert programmer any more than studying brushes and pigment can make somebody an expert painter.” - Eric S. Raymond

“Don’t worry if it doesn’t work right. If everything did, you’d be out of a job.” - Mosher’s Law of Software Engineering

“I think Microsoft named .Net so it wouldn’t show up in a Unix directory listing.” - Oktal

“Fine, Java MIGHT be a good example of what a programming language should be like. But Java applications are good examples of what applications SHOULDN’T be like.” - pixadel

"FORTRAN is not a flower but a weed — it is hardy, occasionally blooms, and grows in every computer." - Alan J. Perlis.

"Good design adds value faster than it adds cost."
- Thomas C. Gale

"Talk is cheap. Show me the code." - Linus Torvalds

Source: http://www.junauza.com/2010/12/top-50-programming-quotes-of-all-time.html?m=1

2 Likes

Re: Interesting Programming Quotes by KazukiIto(m): 8:34pm On Aug 19, 2015
C makes it easier to shoot your leg, C++ makes it harder; but when it does, it will blow your whole leg off

[right][/right]Bjarne Stroustrup

1 Like

Re: Interesting Programming Quotes by Irelokeh(m): 6:18am On Aug 20, 2015
Awesome!

(1) (Reply)

Pls I Need An Offline Tutor For Programming And Hacking / Modifying Data / IPSAS Government Accounting Software

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.