Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,553 members, 7,827,072 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 06:18 AM

Igbos Dominates Nigeria Prizes For Science And Literature Award-must See - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Igbos Dominates Nigeria Prizes For Science And Literature Award-must See (1195 Views)

IPOB Dominates National Security Council Meeting / Ambode Presents Prizes To Winners Of Lagos City Marathon 2017 (Photos) / PHOTOS: Internally Displaced Children Awarded Prizes For Excelling At School (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Igbos Dominates Nigeria Prizes For Science And Literature Award-must See by FKO81(m): 1:02pm On Aug 19, 2015
The Nigeria Prize for Science and The Nigeria Prize for Literature are Nigerian science and literary awards presented annually since 2004. The award is sponsored by Nigeria LNG in partnership with the Nigerian Academy of Science and the Nigerian Academy of Letters.[ The prize describes itself as "bringing Nigerian scientists and authors to public attention and celebrating excellence in scientific breakthroughs and literary craftsmanship in the nation."
The Prize for Literature rotates among four genres - Fiction, Poetry, Drama and Children's literature.
The Prize was initially $20,000 each in Literature and Science. This was increased to $30,000 in 2006, and again to $50,000 in 2008. In 2011 the prize was increased to $100,000, making it the largest African literary prize and one of the richest literary prizes in the world.
In 2009 the Literature Committee could not decide on a winner and the prize money was given to the Nigerian Academy of Letters instead

Winners year
1 Sam Ukala, Iredi War 2014 - Igbo

2 Tade Ipadeola, The Sahara Testaments 2013-Yoruba

3 Chika Unigwe, On Black Sisters' Street 2012-Igbo

4 Adeleke Adeyemi (Mai Nasara), The Missing Clock 2011-Yoruba

5 Esiaba Irobi, Cemetery Road 2010-Igbo

6 Kaine Agary, Yellow Yellow 2008 Southsouth

7 Mabel Segun, Readers' Theatre: Twelve Plays for Young People, Akachi Adimora-Ezeigbo, My Cousin Sammy, both won 2007 Yoruba and Igbo

8 Ahmed Yerima, Hard Ground 2006- Hausa

9 Gabriel Okara, The Dreamer: His Vision, Ezenwa Ohaeto, Chants of a Minstrel- both won 2005-Ijaw and Igbo
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigeria_Prizes_for_Science_and_Literature

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Igbos Dominates Nigeria Prizes For Science And Literature Award-must See by DEXTROVERT: 1:07pm On Aug 19, 2015
Good news for us ...its one nja...no sentiment
Re: Igbos Dominates Nigeria Prizes For Science And Literature Award-must See by chingum(f): 1:07pm On Aug 19, 2015
Ok
Re: Igbos Dominates Nigeria Prizes For Science And Literature Award-must See by Nobody: 1:10pm On Aug 19, 2015
Thank God for them, @op work hard to be recognize and shun tribalism, it's not good for your health.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbos Dominates Nigeria Prizes For Science And Literature Award-must See by shogz89: 1:15pm On Aug 19, 2015
How did we get here

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbos Dominates Nigeria Prizes For Science And Literature Award-must See by asha80(m): 1:19pm On Aug 19, 2015
Bia op Ike ihe a o naghi a gwu gi? Enough abeg

1 Like

Re: Igbos Dominates Nigeria Prizes For Science And Literature Award-must See by FKO81(m): 2:07pm On Aug 19, 2015
asha80:
Bia op Ike ihe a o naghi a gwu gi? Enough abeg
They started propagating false achievements, I can just sit and fold my arms, when I know the truth, they want to brain wash our young ones that they're ahead I'm only helping them to post facts and figures, you know me I play cool them. Thanks!
Re: Igbos Dominates Nigeria Prizes For Science And Literature Award-must See by tuakzyfyn(m): 2:29pm On Aug 19, 2015
9 Gabriel Okara, The Dreamer: His Vision, Ezenwa Ohaeto, Chants of a Minstrel both won 2005-Both Igbo writers
Please kindly verify your fact on Gabriel okara. He is from Bayelsa state.
Re: Igbos Dominates Nigeria Prizes For Science And Literature Award-must See by FKO81(m): 2:45pm On Aug 19, 2015
tuakzyfyn:
9 Gabriel Okara, The Dreamer: His Vision, Ezenwa Ohaeto, Chants of a Minstrel both won 2005-Both Igbo writers
Please kindly verify your fact on Gabriel okara. He is from Bayelsa state.
Thanks
Biography
Gabriel Imomtimi Gbaingbain Okara, the son of an Ijọ chief,[2] was born in Bomoundi in the Niger delta in 1921. He was educated at Government College, Umuahia, and later at Yaba Higher College. He studied journalism at Northwestern University in 1949, and before the outbreak of the Nigerian Civil War worked as Information Officer for the Eastern Nigerian Government Service
Re: Igbos Dominates Nigeria Prizes For Science And Literature Award-must See by alcmene: 2:50pm On Aug 19, 2015
soon the Yoruba haters will come and showcase their inherent hatred

(1) (Reply)

Presidency Abolishes Office Of First Lady / Ghana overtakes Nigeria as the real giant of Africa. latest research / Pics - The Issue Of Biafra Was Settled In 1970

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.