Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,841 members, 7,810,244 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:54 AM

Hybrids, Anyone? - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Hybrids, Anyone? (7734 Views)

Hybrid Electric Vehicle Chatroom. Let's Talk Hybrids / Rolls Royce To Skip Hybrids, Will Jump Straight To Pure Electric Models / What Is Tge Advantage Of Hybrid Cars Over Non Hybrids (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hybrids, Anyone? by Nobody: 12:00am On Sep 28, 2015
DaimlerBen:

Can't the battery be bypassed?

No.

Besides, why would you even want to?
Re: Hybrids, Anyone? by kablooee: 12:11am On Sep 28, 2015
DaimlerBen:

Can't the battery be bypassed?

More like can't the vehicle remain stationery? Yes it can.
Re: Hybrids, Anyone? by DaimlerBen(m): 2:08am On Sep 28, 2015
Siena:

No.

Besides, why would you even want to?
Just like in cars with dual LPG & petrol fuels, where the LPG is disconnected & the tank removed. If the batteries die, can't they be disconnected until new ones are bought?
NB: I'm not talking about hybrids where the petrol motor only charges the batteries, I'm talking about one where batteries & engine share locomotion.
Re: Hybrids, Anyone? by sultaan(m): 5:40am On Sep 28, 2015
WIth Siena here I believe this is an opportunity for users to learn more about hybrids.

From what I know the battery kicks in mostly at point where the car uses most fuel and when it is not necessary to burn fuel mainly at idle and when accelerating from start to~40mph

My employer was selling some of their fleet of hybrids and a friend bought a 2012xle they had Prius and C-Max too but I would have preferred the C-Max if I needed a hybrid.

I thought if the battery is bad or malfunction in the system it will give hybrid disabled warning but the Atkinson engine will still run the vehicle but it seems total failure is the case here where the roadside mechs have already messed with the engine before they discovery it is not the usual engine
Re: Hybrids, Anyone? by jadakiss213(m): 5:47am On Sep 28, 2015
Siena:

What exactly is wrong with your Hybrid?

What dash error messages are you getting? Have you had the car scanned for codes? Has any attempt been made to "repair" your car been made, if yes, what has been done?

What was the last thing that was done to your car, prior to it being laid up?
was driving home and the car suddenly stalled.it refused to start.but there was ds smell like when u have a bad fuel pump.I was able to make it home but it was stalling all the way,then I saw d dreaded "check hybrid system" had some dude scan it for codes but the guy looking all confused.Before then there used to be "check vsc system"on the dashboard.
Re: Hybrids, Anyone? by ikefor(m): 11:31am On Oct 05, 2015
@Jadakiss, these are very relevant questions that @sienna has asked you but you haven't provided any answer yet...many times i find that hybrid users are at lost with what is wrong with their car, often highlighting the symptoms of the car without any DTC code information. The truth is that you could do that for a regular car based on previous experiences, but you may actually cause some additional problems diagnosing a hybrid in that fashion.

That said, i encourage anybody buying a hybrid vehicle to at least get a minimum obd2 scanner, there are many that cost as little as N5k. It is often the best place to start learning and understanding your hybrid vehicle.

if you're still having trouble with your hybrid then post the codes, sure there will be people to help you.you can also whatsapp me803 76 103 95.

Mr. Jossy
2007 Prius 1NZ-FXE
2010 Prius 2ZR-FXE
Re: Hybrids, Anyone? by femicousim: 1:28am On Oct 13, 2015
jadakiss213:
Bro,pls do u know who can fix this..My 07 TCH has been parked for 6 weeks now

call 08055518883
Re: Hybrids, Anyone? by kingreign(m): 1:45am On Oct 13, 2015
Vital Information/safety caution! Anyone working on Hybrids system in Toyota should be [size=21pt]EXTREMELY CAREFUL[/size] the hybrid system contains very high voltage which is lethal if not handled professionally with appropriate Personal Protective Equipment.

DO NOT take your Hybrid Toyota vehicle to any unqualified uncertified toyota Hybrid repair professional.
Re: Hybrids, Anyone? by Nobody: 2:24am On Oct 13, 2015
jadakiss213:
was driving home and the car suddenly stalled.it refused to start.but there was ds smell like when u have a bad fuel pump.I was able to make it home but it was stalling all the way,then I saw d dreaded "check hybrid system" had some dude scan it for codes but the guy looking all confused.Before then there used to be "check vsc system"on the dashboard.

I will need codes to be able to offer any form of remote assistance.
Re: Hybrids, Anyone? by Readonee35L(m): 2:14pm On Oct 14, 2015
kingreign:
Vital Information/safety caution! Anyone working on Hybrids system in Toyota should be [size=21pt]EXTREMELY CAREFUL[/size] the hybrid system contains very high voltage which is lethal if not handled professionally with appropriate Personal Protective Equipment.

DO NOT take your Hybrid Toyota vehicle to any unqualified uncertified toyota Hybrid repair professional.
It seems you've been a victim of A hybrid repair accident
From the time of your former handle you keep making warnings in capital letters and big fonts about expert repairs on hybrids
I doubt if any kazeem will even try to open the battery
Re: Hybrids, Anyone? by kingreign(m): 2:33pm On Oct 14, 2015
Readonee35L:

It seems you've been a victim of A hybrid repair accident
From the time of your former handle you keep making warnings in capital letters and big fonts about expert repairs on hybrids
I doubt if any kazeem will even try to open the battery

lol I've not repaired any hybrid vehicle not to talk of hybrid accident during repairs. I always watch hybrid repair videos online and thru that way, I've been able to learn the battery removal and isolation of live terminal from the inverter's battery, removal of hybrid battery pack, and inverters amongst a few others.

that said, the hybrid charge system can give a lethal shock to a person who mishandle the systems or doesn't use appropriate PPE.

kazeems dey always play with hybrid.... Remember adanny01's mechanic who was starting a hybrid Honda accord without its engine battery? that mechanic is playing with live inland taipan (most dangerous snake).

reason why I always bolden warnings I give is to make people know the obvious danger inherent in the act.
Re: Hybrids, Anyone? by Readonee35L(m): 2:41pm On Oct 14, 2015
kingreign:

lol I've not repaired any hybrid vehicle not to talk of hybrid accident during repairs. I always watch hybrid repair videos online and thru that way, I've been able to learn the battery removal and isolation of live terminal from the inverter's battery, removal of hybrid battery pack, and inverters amongst a few others.

that said, the hybrid charge system can give a lethal shock to a person who mishandle the systems or doesn't use appropriate PPE.

kazeems dey always play with hybrid.... Remember adanny01's mechanic who was starting a hybrid Honda accord without its engine battery? that mechanic is playing with live inland taipan (most dangerous snake).

reason why I always bolden warnings I give is to make people know the obvious danger inherent in the act.
That's Good Tho....
I can remember that thread it was a 2005 Accord hybrid,
The hybrid system is dangerous if tampered with
It's not like the general 12v battery

1 Like

Re: Hybrids, Anyone? by adanny01(m): 3:14pm On Oct 14, 2015
Siena:
The most expensive battery here in the UK is that of the Toyota Prius Plug-In.

£6,500.

Wow!

That will buy a brand new Kia Rio.

1 Like

Re: Hybrids, Anyone? by ikefor(m): 1:13pm On Dec 29, 2015
the hybrid system contains very high voltage which is lethal if not handled professionally with appropriate Personal Protective Equipment.

I absolutely agree here with you. The generation 2 (2004 - 2009) Prius traction battery delivers a nominal voltage of 201.6 VDC and a peak voltage of 240VDC and can cause some serious shock to an individual. There are cases of shocks even when IP uses gloves that are not properly rated to handle such high voltages.

DO NOT take your Hybrid Toyota vehicle to any unqualified uncertified Toyota Hybrid repair professional.

I partly agree to this. What tends to happen in the hybrid community is that you usually have users who are enthusiasts and DIYers who by virtue of experiences, researches and interactions have developed a little body of knowledge with diagnostics and repairs and can provide solutions to simple to difficult hybrid issues. In addition, Toyota by virtue of its Technical Information Services TIS - a subscription based service - has made its repair manuals available online. The TIS is a huge body of knowledge that encompasses all you can think of in Toyota repairs. Unfortunately, you have to pay 15 usd for a 2 day access. So what people, including myself do, is have all the components and DTC codes that we need resolution on, make the payment and download everything that is related to and is required for offline access. That said, the best form of assistance you can get is getting to understand your vehicle more yourself.

IMHO the Prius still has one of the best engine designs of this decade.

BTW, I am part of a whatapp community of hybrid users (TCH/Prius/HiHy/IMA) who share general information, ideas and offer each other assistance on hybrid technology. The group members consists of hybrids users across Nigeria (Abuja, Yobe, Zaria etc) who are like you and did not have a clue about what an MG1/MG2 means and there are a few others who are senior professionals and DIYers and have jumped the ropes and seen some. At the moment, the group has grown significantly (not giving numbers), if you are a hybrid USER (not seller) and are interested in joining this group, you can PM me.

Mr. Jossy
2007 Prius 1NZ-FXE
2010 Prius 2ZR-FXE

hybrids dot com dot ng
Re: Hybrids, Anyone? by fashfisher(m): 3:28pm On Jul 06, 2016
Looking for the immobilizer relay of a 2005 Honda Accord Hybrid. I got into a flood and some roadside mech stole the one in the car because i told him to hands off the car.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Types Of Traffic Calming Devices In Nigeria / What Is a "scam" in auto repair? / Buy your OBD Car scanner

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.