Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,665 members, 7,823,883 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 05:18 PM

Buhari Set To Confirm Zakari As INEC Chairman: Punch - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari Set To Confirm Zakari As INEC Chairman: Punch (17619 Views)

Protests In Benin As INEC Announces Results (Photos Video) / Gulak Declares Himself PDP Chairman - Punch News / PDP Rejects Zakari As INEC Boss (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buhari Set To Confirm Zakari As INEC Chairman: Punch by dre11(m): 2:49am On Aug 20, 2015
Despite the current opposition to her candidature especially from the Peoples Democratic Party, President Muhammadu Buhari may soon confirm the appointment of the acting chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission, Mrs. Amina Zakari, The PUNCH has learnt.

Our correspondent learnt on Wednesday that Buhari may soon name Zakari the substantive chairman of the electoral body therefore foreclosing speculations that he may appoint somebody from outside the commission as Prof. Attahiru Jega’s successor.

A source close to the arrangement told The PUNCH that the President had decided to confirm Zakari’s appointment instead of shopping for another chairman for INEC.

The source, who pleaded anonymity because she is neither the spokesperson for INEC nor that of the Federal Government, said Zakari’s appointment would be confirmed early enough to enable her to oversee preparations for the governorship elections holding in Kogi and Bayelsa states this year.

The source added that once the appointment of a substantive chairman was sorted out, the government would thereafter go ahead to fill the vacant positions of national commissioners.

“It is almost certain that the President will soon confirm Mrs. Zakari’s appointment. She may be named the substantive chairman of INEC soon. The President does not seem to be interested in shopping for a chairman from outside the commission,” she said.

Buhari had on June 30 appointed Zakari as the acting chairman of the electoral body following Jega’s retirement.

Until her appointment, Zakari was a National Commissioner at INEC.

A statement by Haruna Imrana, Director of Communications for the Head of Civil Service of the Federation, said she would be in charge until the appointment of a substantive chairman.

Jega had earlier handed over to Ambassador Ahmed Wali, one of the commissioners at INEC.

Zakari’s appointment attracted criticisms with the opposition PDP claiming that she is the President’s in-law, an allegation she had denied

Some stakeholders have also been describing Zakari’s appointment as the acting INEC boss as unconstitutional, hinging their position on the fact that her appointment as national commissioner had expired on July 22.

They argued that Zakari was appointed to act as the chairman by virtue of her appointment as a national commissioner and now that her appointment has elapsed, she ceases to be a member of the commission.

Reacting to that position however, presidential spokesman, Femi Adesina, had told The PUNCH that in appointing the acting INEC chairman, the President only exercised his powers as provided for in Sections 154 and 318 of the constitution.

“The appointment is covered by Sections 154 and 318 of the 1999 Constitution. The constitution empowers the President to appoint the woman in an acting capacity. It also covers the appointment even if her tenure has expired,” Adesina had said.

http://www.punchng.com/news/buhari-set-to-confirm-zakari-as-inec-chairman/

cc lalasticlala

3 Likes

Re: Buhari Set To Confirm Zakari As INEC Chairman: Punch by Mrbigman1(m): 2:54am On Aug 20, 2015
Oga B, if u like appoint ur mama, person wey go win go win.

At least we know better now

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Buhari Set To Confirm Zakari As INEC Chairman: Punch by hyfr(m): 2:59am On Aug 20, 2015
"She is the presidents in-law, an allegation which she has denied" I stopped reading at this point.

18 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Buhari Set To Confirm Zakari As INEC Chairman: Punch by Islie: 3:00am On Aug 20, 2015
This baba saying all the allegations that PDP brought up against her are just baseless without any moral justification.

Why can't they allow her to work first and let see her performance before we start castigating her

Just like the ones against the NSA director

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Set To Confirm Zakari As INEC Chairman: Punch by donholy28(m): 3:20am On Aug 20, 2015
Wetin I know be say make dem no put useless person for that sensitive INEC role

5 Likes

Re: Buhari Set To Confirm Zakari As INEC Chairman: Punch by JBismarck(m): 3:20am On Aug 20, 2015
Modified: personally, I think her confirmation have some benefits and disadvantages. On the positive side, it will serve as a way of encouraging women in positions of power. Apart from that, she has been part and parcel of the commission for quite awhile now, so, her experience would be invaluable towards the success of the commission. Any outsider brought in at this critical period especially when there aree like 3 state elections to be conducted this year alone will still be learning and I don't think that now is the time for learners to be at the helm of affairs now.

On the other hand, her perceived closeness or even relation to PMB is a source of concern. Though I trust PMB on this one but it is a good ground for the opposition party to instigate litigations in the event that the opposition lost election. It is called nepotism and it is very bad.

In conclusion, so far the positives dwarfs the negatives and PMB is a man of integrity, I support her appointment.

NB: please check my signature.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Set To Confirm Zakari As INEC Chairman: Punch by Nobody: 4:17am On Aug 20, 2015
Useless newspaper!! It is not the perogative of the president to conform her as the substantive INEC chairman.He can only forward her name to the senate where a 2/3 majority vote is needed for her confirmation.

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari Set To Confirm Zakari As INEC Chairman: Punch by efilefun(m): 4:24am On Aug 20, 2015
PDP should come out with proofs showing she's related to PMB and if not they should shove their useless opinions straight into their stinking arse... Moreover PMB can only forward her name to the senate who will scrutinize her.

9 Likes

Re: Buhari Set To Confirm Zakari As INEC Chairman: Punch by Nobody: 4:26am On Aug 20, 2015
efilefun:
PDP should come out with proofs showing she's related to PMB and if not they should shove their useless opinions straight into their stinking arse... Moreover PMB can only forward her name to the senate who will scrutinize her.

PMB would need PDP senators support to make her INEC chairman else she is going no where.The both parties must agree before an INEC chairman is appointed

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari Set To Confirm Zakari As INEC Chairman: Punch by Heromaniaa: 4:26am On Aug 20, 2015
this one can't handle the likes of orubebe. she no reach!

4 Likes

Re: Buhari Set To Confirm Zakari As INEC Chairman: Punch by natas22: 4:34am On Aug 20, 2015
If the president (my sai buhari) finds her worthy enough for the job then let her take the job on full time.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Set To Confirm Zakari As INEC Chairman: Punch by Nobody: 4:39am On Aug 20, 2015
natas22:
If the president finds her worthy enough for job then let her take the job on full time.

Unless the senate also finds her worthy,she is going no where

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Set To Confirm Zakari As INEC Chairman: Punch by Webbet(m): 4:47am On Aug 20, 2015
This is not an important issue to me. The youths need job Mr. President

3 Likes

Re: Buhari Set To Confirm Zakari As INEC Chairman: Punch by g4everybody(m): 4:58am On Aug 20, 2015
Buhari is yet to start government, the only thing we keep hearing is probe, probe probe, while feasting in d achievement of the past government. He should hit the ground running and stop acting smart

14 Likes

Re: Buhari Set To Confirm Zakari As INEC Chairman: Punch by arabbunkum: 5:01am On Aug 20, 2015
Self masturbators and wailing wailers over to you guys.

3 Likes

Re: Buhari Set To Confirm Zakari As INEC Chairman: Punch by efilefun(m): 5:04am On Aug 20, 2015
Yeah sure their supports would be needed but at this point i can hardly see any senator (Both APC and PDP) who will publicly go against PMB cuz they all got a past which can hunt them down
chukwudi44:

PMB would need PDP senators support to make her INEC chairman else she is going no where.The both parties must agree before an INEC chairman is appointed

2 Likes

Re: Buhari Set To Confirm Zakari As INEC Chairman: Punch by Nobody: 5:21am On Aug 20, 2015
efilefun:
Yeah sure their supports would be needed but at this point i can hardly see any senator (Both APC and PDP) who will publicly go against PMB cuz they all got a past which can hunt them down

You really overate this your Daura President!! Did you read Senator Nwaoboshi's interview on Vanguard last sunday.If APC did not learn anything from what happened on June 9 then I feel real sorry for them

12 Likes

Re: Buhari Set To Confirm Zakari As INEC Chairman: Punch by omenka(m): 5:56am On Aug 20, 2015
g4everybody:
Buhari is yet to start government, the only thing we keep hearing is probe, probe probe, while feasting in d achievement of the past government. He should hit the ground running and stop acting smart
What exactly is this one trying to say

8 Likes

Re: Buhari Set To Confirm Zakari As INEC Chairman: Punch by Nobody: 6:11am On Aug 20, 2015
omenka:
What exactly is this one trying to say

Buhari has almost spent 3 months in power and the only thingh has achieved is I will probe!!

23 Likes

Re: Buhari Set To Confirm Zakari As INEC Chairman: Punch by tyson99(m): 6:14am On Aug 20, 2015
chukwudi44:

Buhari has almost spent 3 months in power and the only thingh has achieved is I will probe!!
Frustrated human being,i pray God delivers you from this your WAILING sickness ashinara

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Set To Confirm Zakari As INEC Chairman: Punch by drey076(m): 6:14am On Aug 20, 2015
Good
over to wailers

1 Like

Re: Buhari Set To Confirm Zakari As INEC Chairman: Punch by buskie13(m): 6:15am On Aug 20, 2015
Bullhari is a dullard...APC members won't see that cos they blinded by hate n bigotry...

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Set To Confirm Zakari As INEC Chairman: Punch by Flets: 6:16am On Aug 20, 2015
Buhari is set to confirm his relative as INEC chairman.

Please what again was the definition of corruption?

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Set To Confirm Zakari As INEC Chairman: Punch by buskie13(m): 6:16am On Aug 20, 2015
tyson99:

Frustrated human being,i pray God delivers you from this your WAILING sickness ashinara
when someone says wat is right....APC apologists considers it as WAILING...smh

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Set To Confirm Zakari As INEC Chairman: Punch by olasmith10(m): 6:17am On Aug 20, 2015
we should be more concerned about her credibility and her ability to deliver....

2 Likes

Re: Buhari Set To Confirm Zakari As INEC Chairman: Punch by Nobody: 6:18am On Aug 20, 2015
tyson99:

I was expecting you to point to me just 1 achievement that dullard has achieved since May 29

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Set To Confirm Zakari As INEC Chairman: Punch by san316(m): 6:18am On Aug 20, 2015
Why is this important? Most Acting appointees Have always been confirmed as substantive. E go clear for some ppl eye. Especially d wailers.

I wonder how some ppl expect the presidoo to just close his eyes and pic someone he doesn't know or trust. There is nobody he will appoint that will not face opposition.

The only way around it is if the INEC chairmen are appointed by an independent entity within the commission.

4 Likes

Re: Buhari Set To Confirm Zakari As INEC Chairman: Punch by Nobody: 6:19am On Aug 20, 2015
olasmith10:
we should be more concerned about her credibility and her ability to deliver....
We already know she is Buhari's inlaw and that is enough to disqualify her

7 Likes

Re: Buhari Set To Confirm Zakari As INEC Chairman: Punch by olasmith10(m): 6:20am On Aug 20, 2015
chukwudi44:

We already know she is Buhari's Daughter inlaw and that is enough to disqualify her

so she phoned u to tell u about her family background

4 Likes

Re: Buhari Set To Confirm Zakari As INEC Chairman: Punch by Nobody: 6:20am On Aug 20, 2015
san316:
Why is this important? Most Acting.... Have always been confirmed as substantive. E go clear for some ppl eye. Especially d wailers.
Ok then.lets see how she will scale the senate hurdle.

2 Likes

Re: Buhari Set To Confirm Zakari As INEC Chairman: Punch by dridowu: 6:29am On Aug 20, 2015
chukwudi44:

Unless the senate also finds her worthy,she is going no where
Once Buhari send her name to senate for confirmation, i can tell you that those your beloveth feedeefee senators will disappoint you to the bone marrow by confirming as the Full Chairman of INEC.
If i may ask you, who is she married to in Buhari family ?
Wow, i wish Buhari should forward her asap so that wailers can have something to wail on, but if they are not satisfied, 2 things are involved
1) Lagoon
2) Court

Wailers Group Limited can make make use of any of the 2 options

9 Likes

Re: Buhari Set To Confirm Zakari As INEC Chairman: Punch by free2ryhme: 6:31am On Aug 20, 2015
dre11:

http://www.punchng.com/news/buhari-set-to-confirm-zakari-as-inec-chairman/

if we want a better Nigeria, we should start telling ourselves the truth.. if allegations that she is related to the president is true, then she has no business being in such a sensitive organisation, even worse in such a position. it's not done anywhere in the world where the intention is to practise democracy and not just talk about it

8 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

We Are Not Ready To Go To War — Yoruba Leaders / Anambra Governorship Election: APGA faction suspends Soludo, 3 Others / Ben Ayade Sacks Traditional Ruler For "Dabbling In Partisan Politics"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.