Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,007 members, 7,821,532 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:25 PM

Catholics Don't Worship Mary - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Catholics Don't Worship Mary (1298 Views)

Pentecostals Bash Catholics Yet They Celebrate Valentine The Most / Do Catholics Really Worship Mary? / Top 6 Reasons; Why People DON'T Worship God (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Catholics Don't Worship Mary by 0micheal735: 6:08pm On Aug 21, 2015
Do Catholics Worship Mary? Many Evangelicals think the word "pray" means "worship." So it makes sense that they think Catholics who "pray" to Mary actually "worship" her. Let's look up the word "pray" in the dictionary. Here is what Webster's says about the word pray: (1) To utter petition to God ... (2) To make a fervent request: PLEAD (3) To beseech: implore (4) to make a devout or earnest request for. The first thing to notice is that the word "worship" is not included in the definition of "pray." It does not mean "worship." A prayer to Mary is clearly not a petition to God. Mary is not God, and there is not one faithful Catholic since the apostles who has said she is. So clearly it is not the first meaning. The English language is often limited in that we often have to use the same word to say different things. There are several meanings of the word "pray." When Catholics pray to God they "utter a petition to God." When they pray to Mary and the Saints they are making a "devout or earnest request for" prayers from Mary or the saints. In mediaeval times when a royal court official was asking something of a person who outranked him, he would say "I pray thee your majesty." You have to say that in an English accent to get the full effect! The person was simply making a request in a polite manner. Catholics think Mary is a prayer warrior. That's her job. We think she was given a full-time 24/7 prayer ministry. She said, "all generations will call me Blessed" and "my soul magnifies the Lord" (Luke 1:46). Catholics think this is significant. "The veneration of Mary is inscribed in the very depths of the human heart." - Martin Luther, Sermon - September 1, 1522 There is a difference between veneration of Mary and worship of Jesus. This was formalized in writing way back in 757 AD at the Seventh General Council: 1. Latria - adoration that is given to the Trinity alone; occurs 5 times in the Bible but always refers to God (Jn 16:2, Rm:9:4, 12:6, Heb 9:1,6) 2. Hyper-dulia - veneration to Mary (as the mother of God) 3. Dulia - honor paid to saints and angels; occurs 5 times in the Bible (Rm 8:15, 21; Gal 4:24, 5:1; Heb 2:15) There are plenty of Old Testament references that distinguish veneration from worship. "Then Moses went out to meet his father in law, and he bowed down and kissed him.." (Exo 18:7)...(also 1 Chron 29:20, 1 Sam 24:cool Some evangelicals say "consecration" shows that Catholics worship Mary. The word "consecrate" means to entrust. I entrust myself to my closest friends but only one is my Savior. “Never be afraid of loving the Blessed Virgin too much. You can never love her more than Jesus did.” - St. Maximilian Kolbe (a priest who died in Auschwitz as a result of taking the place of a father, who was then present at Kolbe's canonization 50 years later)

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Catholics Don't Worship Mary by ibadanfinest(m): 6:10pm On Aug 21, 2015
who do they worship o
Re: Catholics Don't Worship Mary by Jeromejnr(m): 6:25pm On Aug 21, 2015
@OP please then explain this I saw one of your fellows saying:

Mary my Queen and my Mother i Love and serve thee and show my devotion to thee i concentrate my eyes ears my mouth and heart wherefor as thine own keep me and guide me as their property Amen

What is worship: showing devotion to something.

The way some Catohloic are devoted to Mary, I pity for their souls.

God said He is a jealous God. And He will share His glory with no one.
Re: Catholics Don't Worship Mary by Nobody: 6:50pm On Aug 21, 2015
we are honoring Mary we are honor....ing
we 're honoring Mary neva worshiping.....
people say we worship her but not at all

everybody shout for d joy of honoring mary!!!

i lov diz song mum taught me back den cheesy
Re: Catholics Don't Worship Mary by Efisko1(m): 6:54pm On Aug 21, 2015
MrKontrovErsy:
we are honoring Mary we are honor....ing
we 're honoring Mary neva worshiping.....
people say we worship her but not at all

everybody shout for d joy of honoring mary!!!

i lov diz song mum taught me back den cheesy

i can hear sm1 singing in 5D......

dey way Protestant argue,
i wonda if mary never carried God in her innocent worm.....

1 Like

Re: Catholics Don't Worship Mary by Nobody: 7:04pm On Aug 21, 2015
Efisko1:

i can hear sm1 singing in 5D......

dey way Protestant argue,
i wonda if mary never carried God in her innocent worm.....

lol
dont mind those ignorant bro
dats one reason they shud av atleast respect her
dey betta set things right befo its late
Re: Catholics Don't Worship Mary by Efisko1(m): 8:04pm On Aug 21, 2015
MrKontrovErsy:

lol
dont mind those ignorant bro
dats one reason they shud av atleast respect her
dey betta set things right befo its late

an anoda tin dey fail 2 knw is dat,,,
Catholic doesn't Begin its facts only frm dey Bible an end in dey Bible.......guy shey u knw......?

1 Like

Re: Catholics Don't Worship Mary by Jeromejnr(m): 8:20pm On Aug 21, 2015
See some folks above me consoling themselves.
Re: Catholics Don't Worship Mary by Efisko1(m): 8:29pm On Aug 21, 2015
Jeromejnr:
See some folks above me consoling themselves.

hv u heard of secret tradition
hv u heard of magisterium
an den we hv dey scriptures.....

#u_go_see_doctrine_fear
Re: Catholics Don't Worship Mary by 0micheal735: 8:29pm On Aug 21, 2015
We don't worship mary rather we honor her like the saints in the bible. We are only calling our mother mary to intercede and pray for us. It seems most of us here do not know the meaning of PRAYER..prayer do not mean worship,That's where most of us who are not catholic couldn't understand Why is that the penticostals go to there pastors to pray for them Is your pastor greater than the mother of God it is written in the bible that all ages shall call her blessed....to mai realization its only the catholic that is honoring her. Every part of the bible is important we all knows that, why don't we preach about the works of the saint so we can also learn from them....mai brothers and sisters let's try and remove the spirit of sentiment from our religion

1 Like

Re: Catholics Don't Worship Mary by Jeromejnr(m): 8:34pm On Aug 21, 2015
0micheal735:
We don't worship mary rather we honor her like the saints in the bible. We are only calling our mother mary to intercede and pray for us. It seems most of us here do not know the meaning of PRAYER..prayer do not mean worship,That's where most of us who are not catholic couldn't understand Why is that the penticostals go to there pastors to pray for them Is your pastor greater than the mother of God it is written in the bible that all ages shall call her blessed....to mai realization its only the catholic that is honoring her. Every part of the bible is important we all knows that, why don't we preach about the works of the saint so we can also learn from them....mai brothers and sisters let's try and remove the spirit of sentiment from our religion

Okay, so with the millions of Christians in the world all praying to Mary at the same time, how is she supposed to handle all that request?

Is she Omniscient? Is she also Omnipresent? Don't you tink you are disturbing her from enjoying her treasures in heaven?
Re: Catholics Don't Worship Mary by 0micheal735: 8:36pm On Aug 21, 2015
Its high time we give her the dignity she deserves. The most unique privilege of our Lady is not her virginity or
her humility, but motherhood.
The evangelist Matthew very
crisply expressed the truth of
Mother Mary’s motherhood
when he said, “Of whom Jesus
was born, who is called Christ
(1:16).” The motherhood of
Mary is a unique dignity
granted only to her and to her
alone. It is an unrepeated and
unrepeatable dignity granted
to her. No other mortal can
ever share in that dignity.

1 Like

Re: Catholics Don't Worship Mary by 0micheal735: 8:47pm On Aug 21, 2015
Jeromejnr:

Okay, so with the millions of Christians in the world all praying to Mary at the same time, how is she supposed to handle all that request?

Is she Omniscient? Is she also Omnipresent? Don't you tink you are disturbing her from enjoying her treasures in heaven?

Because those in Heaven (i.e. the Saints) are
outside of time, there is no past or present by
their perception--only one great present. We
can't
understand why this is because we are mortal
beings and bound by the limits of time.
The saints are not believed to be omniscient as
God is, however we believe it is by God's will that
the saints be allowed to hear our prayers. We see
in Scripture references to prayer of the saints,
most notably Revelation 5:8
Re: Catholics Don't Worship Mary by 0micheal735: 8:48pm On Aug 21, 2015
Since Jesus Christ died on the cross and rose from the dead, conquering death for us, there is no reason why we cannot ask those in heaven to pray for us just as we ask those still living on earth for their prayers. After all, in Christ all are alive. Therefore we ask the Ever-Virgin Nary to pray to her Son for us, just as we also ask the angels, the saints ,and all faithful believers here on earth to pray on our behalf, as Scripture Commands us to do: "I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all men... I will therefore, that men pray everywhere (I Tim. 2:1,cool. We turn readily to our friends and neighbors to ask for their prayers in our time of need; are not those in heaven even more our friends than those on earth? Why should they not intercede for us also before the throne of God?
Re: Catholics Don't Worship Mary by Nobody: 8:56pm On Aug 21, 2015
Efisko1:

an anoda tin dey fail 2 knw is dat,,,
Catholic doesn't Begin its facts only frm dey Bible an end in dey Bible.......guy shey u knw......?

tru dat!
Re: Catholics Don't Worship Mary by Jeromejnr(m): 9:03pm On Aug 21, 2015
0micheal735:

Because those in Heaven (i.e. the Saints) are
outside of time, there is no past or present by
their perception--only one great present. We
can't
understand why this is because we are mortal
beings and bound by the limits of time.
The saints are not believed to be omniscient as
God is, however we believe it is by God's will that
the saints be allowed to hear our prayers. We see
in Scripture references to prayer of the saints,
most notably Revelation 5:8
Well, even though I know that's not what that scripture meant. Has Mary in any way answered your prayers?
Re: Catholics Don't Worship Mary by Efisko1(m): 10:40pm On Aug 21, 2015
MrKontrovErsy:

tru dat!
are u in any Pius organization sir....?
Re: Catholics Don't Worship Mary by Nobody: 10:42pm On Aug 21, 2015
Efisko1:

are u in any Pius organization sir....?

nop but a strong catholic

and u?
Re: Catholics Don't Worship Mary by 0micheal735: 11:22pm On Aug 21, 2015
Jeromejnr:

Well, even though I know that's not what that scripture meant. Has Mary in any way answered your prayers?

She has been prayin for me and I believe God has ben answering her
Re: Catholics Don't Worship Mary by Efisko1(m): 3:38am On Aug 22, 2015
MrKontrovErsy:

nop but a strong catholic
and u?
a legionary....

(1) (Reply)

Is Paris Attack Different From Of Iraq And Syria? / Full Prophecies Of Prophet TB Joshua For 2016 / Roman Catholic Won't Save You

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.