Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,689 members, 7,816,816 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:46 PM

The Collapse Of Gusau Dam (Zamfara) - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / The Collapse Of Gusau Dam (Zamfara) (2845 Views)

Pregnant Woman Dies In An Accident On Zamfara Road ( Graphic Photos) / Two Female Immigration Officers Collapse On Parade Ground / Partial Collapse Of 21-Storey Skyscraper In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Collapse Of Gusau Dam (Zamfara) by Seun(m): 11:46pm On Oct 01, 2006
50 Feared Dead as Gusau Dam Collapses
At least 50 people were feared dead yesterday when the Gusau Barrage Dam collapsed, in the process flooding more than 150 homes.

The incident, which occured after a heavy down pour in the Zamfara State capital, also cut off over 500 villages from the state capital.

The Gusau Barrage Dam is also the main source of water to Gusau town and its environs.
When THISDAY correspondent visited the scene of the incident Saturday, victims of the disaster were seen searching through rubbles caused by the flood for their belongings while thousands of rescue operators were seen assisting affected persons.

As at the time of filing this report, there was no official statement on the matter but unconfirmed reports suggest that the barrage was filled to capacity when officials were not on hand to release the excess water, that eventually led to its collapse.
http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=59628
Re: The Collapse Of Gusau Dam (Zamfara) by P3(m): 12:48am On Oct 02, 2006
From Allah we come and unto Him shall we return. May the Almighty give families of the dead the fortitude to bear their losses, and me He replinish the wealth of those who lost their belongings. Ameen
Re: The Collapse Of Gusau Dam (Zamfara) by Fimmy(m): 3:21am On Oct 02, 2006
P3:

From Allah we come and unto Him shall we return. May the Almighty give families of the dead the fortitude to bear their losses, and me He replinish the wealth of those who lost their belongings. Ameen
Re: The Collapse Of Gusau Dam (Zamfara) by kliverpool(m): 7:56am On Oct 02, 2006
shocked[b][/b]sad very sad.the gov is in a bad state of mind EFCC is on him so his people should just take heart .tsunami in Zamfara
Re: The Collapse Of Gusau Dam (Zamfara) by LoverBwoy(m): 1:04pm On Oct 02, 2006
there were found alive according to this report
GUSAU, Nigeria (Reuters) - Flood water from a burst reservoir dam in northern Nigeria has made 1,000 families homeless, but about 40 people earlier feared dead have been found alive, the state governor said on Sunday.

Local media had reported Zamfara State Governor Ahmed Sani saying that at least 40 people died after heavy rainfall swelled the reservoir to critical levels, causing the dam to collapse and send a barrage of water through villages.

"All those missing were later found safe and alive," Sani told Reuters.

"We have over 1,000 families affected and property over 3 billion naira, but there is no loss of life."

The reservoir was the main source of drinking water for Zamfara state capital Gusau.

http://za.today.reuters.com/news/NewsArticle.aspx?type=topNews&storyID=2006-10-02T063751Z_01_BAN224022_RTRIDST_0_OZATP-NIGERIA-DAM-20061002.XML

3 billion naira worth of property? cool
Re: The Collapse Of Gusau Dam (Zamfara) by Chay(f): 3:29pm On Oct 02, 2006
3 billion naira worth of property? cool

[quote][/quote]

I wonder how they arrived at that figure maybe the destrution is more than was noted in the papers.
Re: The Collapse Of Gusau Dam (Zamfara) by Kajiang02(m): 4:14pm On Oct 02, 2006
i pray 2 God to give d bereaved of both familys,properties e.t.c d grace and fortitude 2 bear dier loss.
It cld happen 2 any1 else living anywhere.
Lets keep our fingers crossed cos dis r signs of d endtime,
Cares peeps.
Re: The Collapse Of Gusau Dam (Zamfara) by ToddTerry: 7:53pm On Oct 02, 2006
why do these thigns always happen in muslim nigeria and not christian nigeria?
Re: The Collapse Of Gusau Dam (Zamfara) by superman(m): 11:30pm On Oct 02, 2006
shambolic !
Re: The Collapse Of Gusau Dam (Zamfara) by JosBoy4Lif(m): 5:25am On Oct 03, 2006
Todd Terry:

Sheer utter stupidity is the only adjective that fits with your question.
Re: The Collapse Of Gusau Dam (Zamfara) by LoverBwoy(m): 12:41pm On Oct 03, 2006
Todd Terry:

I though there was only 1 nigeria oops it's you anyway so i wont bother grin
Re: The Collapse Of Gusau Dam (Zamfara) by Seun(m): 1:40pm On Oct 03, 2006
Thank goodness. No loss of life!

Why is the cost of repair estimated at 3 billion naira? So the politicians will be able collect more money to "rebuild" the city, of course. The more money they collect, the more they can ____l.
Re: The Collapse Of Gusau Dam (Zamfara) by zebudaya(m): 3:59pm On Oct 03, 2006
how can 3 billion worth of property be destroyed and you say no loss of life? zamfara governor is lying!
Re: The Collapse Of Gusau Dam (Zamfara) by belloti(m): 4:21pm On Oct 03, 2006
The whole story is so clumsy. The death toll was not true so also the extend of the damage. It was just an overhyped story. i wonder who stand to gain from it.
Re: The Collapse Of Gusau Dam (Zamfara) by otokx(m): 5:06am On Oct 04, 2006
corrupt politicians and the press.
Re: The Collapse Of Gusau Dam (Zamfara) by malamne(m): 1:10pm On Oct 13, 2006
Jesse pipeline disaster 1998,Ikeja cantonement bomb blast,The recent pipeline disaster in Lagos,and the spate of political killings allover.,wanton destruction of life and property in the East, spate of armrobberies, hostage taking in thye Niger Delta(Terrorism?) et el ,Except my Geography is terrible all these disasters happened in the C, wait a minute i am not even going to stoop so low as Todd Terry.
People like him do not deserve courtesies extended to humans,cos im sure he is not one.
For Gods sake these are people we are talking about and not a herd of Goats,(probably his Biology is as terrible as my geography)
GET A LIFE PLEASE.

(1) (Reply)

Free Admission Into Swedish Universities In On Right Now / 10 Most Terrifying Places On Earth / Applying For Australian Student Visa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.