Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,155 members, 7,815,026 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:26 AM

Partial Collapse Of 21-Storey Skyscraper In Lagos - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Partial Collapse Of 21-Storey Skyscraper In Lagos (6369 Views)

Two Female Immigration Officers Collapse On Parade Ground / China To Build World Tallest Skyscraper In 7 Months / The Collapse Of Gusau Dam (Zamfara) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Partial Collapse Of 21-Storey Skyscraper In Lagos by demmy(m): 8:34pm On Mar 22, 2006
Nigeria Skyscraper Crumbles In Downpour

LAGOS, Nigeria (AP) -- The top portion of one of the tallest buildings in Nigeria's main city sheared off during a storm Wednesday, raining debris onto mostly empty streets below but leaving at least two people dead, witnesses said.

Part of the top nine stories of the 21-story Nigerian Industrial Development Bank, which had had a fire on two floors two days ago, crumbled and fell away around 8 a.m. (0700 GMT), amid a heavy downpour, said Segun Ade, a guard at a nearby building. He said falling debris killed two people.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/africa/03/22/nigeria.building.ap/index.html

Re: Partial Collapse Of 21-Storey Skyscraper In Lagos by Seun(m): 8:51pm On Mar 22, 2006
The address of that building is:

NIDB House
63-71 Broad Street
P.O. Box 2357
Lagos

Tinubu's stay-at-home order (census) seems to have saved many lives. Interesting.
Re: Partial Collapse Of 21-Storey Skyscraper In Lagos by Badman888(m): 8:57pm On Mar 22, 2006
yah its good they were not much people on the street, because that is a busy road. But one or two people is reported to have died.
Re: Partial Collapse Of 21-Storey Skyscraper In Lagos by OldGlory1(m): 9:00pm On Mar 22, 2006
Now that is some scary pictures. I heard some kind of fire hit some floors earlier in the week. That is sad, does anyone know how old that building was?
Re: Partial Collapse Of 21-Storey Skyscraper In Lagos by mustafar1: 9:01pm On Mar 22, 2006
yeah that was the first thing that came to mind when i saw it on BBC. saw flashes of a crowded street with debris free falling on peoples heads.
Re: Partial Collapse Of 21-Storey Skyscraper In Lagos by uche1(m): 9:05pm On Mar 22, 2006
nothing much to say about but to Thank God for saving our brothers and sisters live
Re: Partial Collapse Of 21-Storey Skyscraper In Lagos by ocho(f): 9:24pm On Mar 22, 2006
shocked shocked shocked yee kpa!!!!
Thank God there weren't that many casualties. shocked
Re: Partial Collapse Of 21-Storey Skyscraper In Lagos by larger20(m): 9:25pm On Mar 22, 2006
Na my area be that oh! God have mercy
Re: Partial Collapse Of 21-Storey Skyscraper In Lagos by Hunter(m): 10:27pm On Mar 22, 2006
It didn't look like the building was in too crash hot shape before hand either,
Re: Partial Collapse Of 21-Storey Skyscraper In Lagos by otokx(m): 12:15pm On Mar 23, 2006
most buildings are not maintained in nigeria; just look at the sight of that relic.
Re: Partial Collapse Of 21-Storey Skyscraper In Lagos by jogego(m): 2:35pm On Mar 23, 2006
OMG, I know that area very well, I used to work on the Marina and loved going shopping around that area. If I recollect rightly, market street is very close to that building. It is such a pity that we dont have no maintenance culture in Naija.

How old the building is is not material in my opinion, majority of residential buildings in London are minimum of a 100 years old and still going strong.
Re: Partial Collapse Of 21-Storey Skyscraper In Lagos by mochafella(m): 8:35pm On Mar 23, 2006
Hunter:

It didn't look like the building was in too crash hot shape before hand either,
otokx:

most buildings are not maintained in nigeria; just look at the sight of that relic.

um,
before we condemn the builders and maintainers of the building, I'm pretty sure it was built properly. Maintainance is probably an issue but then I suspect the fire that occured a few days earlier was more to blame for the collapse. Such structures are always weakened by fires and a lot of them have to be torn down. Also note that the collapse occured on the 11th floor, one of the two floors affected by the fire.
Re: Partial Collapse Of 21-Storey Skyscraper In Lagos by bebe6(f): 9:13am On Mar 24, 2006
You better speak Mocha embarassed
Re: Partial Collapse Of 21-Storey Skyscraper In Lagos by jmsjonah(m): 3:35pm On Mar 24, 2006
Thank father God for minimal casualties, maintenance culture in Nigeria is zero and that is the principal cause for the collapse of the building!
Re: Partial Collapse Of 21-Storey Skyscraper In Lagos by Scatter(m): 6:49am On Mar 29, 2006
Its a good thing that there were not too many people in or around the building when it happened if not it would have been a diferent story entirely. here in germany practically every thing has (TÜV) or expiring date and if it does not meet required scientific standards it is banned from public use from high rise builldings to trains to buses aeroplanes u name it . human life is priceless and precious. Sadly in naija there is no maitainace culture govt officials are only interested stealing and looting govt money without interest on public welfare! Its a shame that there are no funtioning fire brigade due to corruption, grounded vehicles, no water or ill eqiupped fire fighters and if a serious fire breaks out the fire fighters will just be looking at it like television! NIGERIAN GOVT WAKE UPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!

(1) (Reply)

Traveling To Mali / a / Domestic Airfare Rises By 25% On Aviation Fuel Scarcity

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.