Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,810 members, 7,956,070 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 11:56 PM

Overcoming The Battle Within (jealousy & Envy) - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Overcoming The Battle Within (jealousy & Envy) (412 Views)

I.O Ajilore's Prophecies: "I Saw Saraki Overcoming, Pray Against Plane Crash / Overcoming Youthful Sexual Lusts / Overcoming The Fear Of Hell FIRE: A Response To Atheists And Their Likes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Overcoming The Battle Within (jealousy & Envy) by ebenice(m): 8:04am On Aug 23, 2015
she seemed to have it all – beauty, talent, a nice house, well-behaved children, adoring husband, a heart after God, a truly successful and seemingly perfect life. it made my flaws seem much more – flawed. enter – jealousy. my jealousy.

a jealous heart. envy. the green-eyed monster. the battle within.

it seethes secretly behind a forced smile. it lashes out through morsels of gossip. it rules the darkened covetous heart that would try to hide the truth. it rages terrible lies and distorted views of reality. it raises its ugly head seeking to bring destruction to those who would stand in its path.

Sounds awful doesn’t it? It is. And admittedly, a struggle I’ve walked out over time. The battle within my own heart that daily challenges many others in our world. If you find yourself there, you’re not alone. It’s just not talked much about. We justify our feelings. It’s swept under the rug. It’s kept in the neat little compartmentalized box of our heart. But it’s there. Waiting to bring you down.

According to Webster, the word jealous means “resentful and envious, as of someone’s success, achievements, advantages.”

Jealousy and envy are closely related. “Jealousy is feeling threatened that someone will take what is yours. Envy is feeling resentful that someone has, or is getting, something that you want, or feel is more rightfully yours.” The common link between the two is that jealousy and envy are both made real when I “want” what another person has. I want to look like them. I want the success they have achieved. I want the job they have. I want to own what they own. I want to be who they are. I want the relationships that are theirs.

I realized over time that quite simply, jealousy is never about the “other” person. It’s about me. My fault. My sin. My weakness.

And that is the first step to freedom from this all too common plague in our culture.

The Truth:

Admit the truth. Turn to God. Turn away from the jealous heart. The first step to defeating jealousy begins by changing our thinking.

Release the stress of wanting to be the “best.” Someone else will always be more successful, more beautiful, more talented, more intelligent, more…more…more… Let it go. Be content with who YOU are. Find your sense of fulfillment and purpose in God.

Expose it for what it is. It’s wrong. Stop covering for yourself. Stop justifying negative feelings towards someone else under the guise of “righteousness.” “They just bought a bigger house, wow, they should have given that money to a ministry.” “She may be talented, but did you see what she was wearing?” “Yes, he’s a great speaker, but seems a little prideful to me.”

The Warning:

Over time, when jealousy is allowed to grow and reign in a life – it will most assuredly lead to much more:

A distorted view of God – “He must love them more than me.”

A distorted view of ourselves – “I deserve what they have.”

A distorted view of others – “They shouldn’t have that.”

Complaining spirit.

Bitterness.

Anger.

Resentment.

Pain.

Destruction.

It is like a cancer, a malignant growth that will darken your spirit and soul. We are wasting precious days of life with controlling, negative emotions when we choose to walk this path.

The Why:

So, seriously, “why” do we react towards others with such ugly emotions as this? Jealousy comes from deep roots within. Sometimes the reasons are many and varied and often this destructive pattern is built over years. Here’s a few common sources –

We compare ourselves to others.

We are insecure.

We are afraid.

We feel a sense of entitlement.

We are “me” focused.

The Help:

Stop comparing yourself to others. Find the greatness and strengths within yourself. God has given YOU so much. Focus on how to use those gifts to be a blessing to others, instead of wanting what you do not have. His purpose for you is unique. Embrace it.

Believe the truth of what God says about you. Stop the negative self-test

Source: http://freshdayahead.com/2013/04/t

(1) (Reply)

Let No Man Take Your Joy. / Prayer Is The Key&the Spiritual Truth U Must Know>be Wise / God Of Ferrari.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.