Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,064 members, 7,818,180 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:35 AM

Nigerian Recipes - Food (17) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Nigerian Recipes (348337 Views)

Best Method For Preparing Noodles.lets Exchange Recipes With(out) Pictures / Recipes For Some Igbo Soups / Exciting Recipes With Indomie! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (35) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Recipes by soapdish(f): 4:45pm On Jan 11, 2008
omoge please do you know how to cook coconut rice?. I love eating it but I don't know hw to cook it. If you know how pls send me the receipe. smiley smiley.Any other person in the house can also help me out.Thanks
Re: Nigerian Recipes by omoge(f): 3:16pm On Jan 14, 2008
I already posted coconut rice recipe not too long ago. will look for the thread, smiley
Re: Nigerian Recipes by soapdish(f): 10:22am On Jan 17, 2008
wink wink wink winkThanks omoge. I would be very grateful grin grin grin
Re: Nigerian Recipes by omoge25(f): 5:18am On Jan 18, 2008
@soapdish
here is the link to the coconut rice thread on nairaland

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=93784.msg1717983#msg1717983
Re: Nigerian Recipes by soapdish(f): 10:01am On Jan 18, 2008
wink winkThank you omoge25, now I can cook and eat one of my favourite meals all because of you. Thanks a million,
Re: Nigerian Recipes by IronButt(f): 9:20pm On Jan 19, 2008
i'd like to post the recipe of georgian national dish  called Khinkali/ხინკალი
it's very difficult to make,

· Ingredients
200 g flour.
30 g water.
salt.
--Meat filling:
300 g lamb.
50 g onion.
ground black pepper.
greens.

[img]http://re.foto.radikal.ru/0709/0a/12d6f55433a1.jpg[/img]

Method
Make dough from flour, water and salt. Knead dough and roll out finely. Grind lamb, onion in a mincer, add pepper, chopped greens. Make rounds with a help of saucer. Put on filling and shape small pears. Cook in a boiling, lightly salted water for 10-15 minutes
Re: Nigerian Recipes by Glorya(f): 9:47am On Jan 24, 2008
please does anyone know how to make 'abacha' i think its called tapioca in english. please anyone who knows how should post the recipe. thanks.
Re: Nigerian Recipes by bummyh: 7:51pm On Jan 24, 2008
Does anyone know where to buy mortar in the US? I need to make some real pounded yam
Re: Nigerian Recipes by Multitask(m): 8:08pm On Jan 24, 2008
I need the recipe for making chin-chin
Re: Nigerian Recipes by aob: 9:31pm On Jan 27, 2008
Pls i need the recipe for white soup. I ate it somewhere yesterday & i would like to tantalize my wife with it. Thank you
Re: Nigerian Recipes by pestherel(f): 12:16pm On Jan 29, 2008
hey , pls i need someone to give me the recipe for making delicious cake, i want to make a special valentine cake for my hussy. smiley wink[color=#990000][/color]
Re: Nigerian Recipes by komekn(m): 2:14am On Jan 31, 2008
Hi Folks,
Just come across this thread, can anybody tell me how to make authentic Banga soup, not the stuff that comes out a tin, all the various spices i dont know thier names etc, etc. please
Thanks & be Blessed.
Re: Nigerian Recipes by Nobody: 11:36pm On Feb 01, 2008
pls how exactly , procedurally do we make afang soup
Re: Nigerian Recipes by Albato(m): 1:26pm On Feb 02, 2008
submit food recipes for redeemable points http://www.octoclick.com/food-and-recipes/index.php
Re: Nigerian Recipes by kc08: 7:45pm On Feb 02, 2008
@olrotimi please  , how exactly , procedurally do we make afang soup

I got this online from http://www.onlinenigeria.com/recipes/afang.asp

AFANG SOUP serves 4-6

This is a classic Cross riverian dish and indeed one of my favourites. The unique flavours derived from the afang leaves in combination with the richness of other ingredients makes this superb soup appealing to a wider spectrum of palates.

I kg / 21b assorted meats (oxtail, tripe, ponmo, bokoto & bushmeat)
4 snails (washed with lemon or lime)
450g / llb stockfish (pre-soaked)
450§ / llb dried fish (washed)
225g/8oz periwinkle (top & tail shell)
225g/8oz whole dry prawns (cleaned)
22 5g / 8oz ground crayfish
22 5g / 8oz ground pepper
I medium onion
450g / llb afang leaves (washed, shredded & pounded)
lkg/21b waterleaf (prepared & washed)
290ml /lOfl oz palm-oil
600ml/lpt stock or water
salt to taste

Wash the assorted meat thoroughly and place in a pot. Add the sliced onions, ground chillies and some stock or water. Cook for 30minutes. Meanwhile, remove the snails from their shells and wash with lemon or lime juice to remove slime. Wash the smoked dry fish with salt and leave soaking in boiling water for 5-8 minutes to kill any insect and loosen any sand or grit. Rinse out thoroughly with lots of cold water.

With the blunt end of a knife, top and tail the periwinkles and wash thoroughly. Add the prepared ingredients and the stock fish to the pot of meat, continue cooking for additional 10 minutes, adding more stock as required.

Finally, add the pounded afang leaves, washed waterleaf and crayfish. Give it a good stir and bring to the boil. Add palm oil, check seasoning and allow to simmer for 15-20 minutes until the aroma fills the kitchen and the soup is well blended. Remove from heat, dish unto a plate and serve with pounded yam or fufu.

Courtesy of Laura Edet

Enjoy tongue grin
Re: Nigerian Recipes by anongal: 3:11pm On Feb 13, 2008
Multitask:

I need the recipe for making chin-chin
u need
lemon rind- gives it a nice flavour
an egg
2 cups of flour
about 2 tablespoon of butter
sugar to taste say a cup.
pinch of salt
water
mix all the dry ingredients ie flour ,sugar,salt, and lemon rind.
add the butter and egg and knead throughly.
addin the water is the tricky part it has to be just ok so add a little water at a time and knead till its able to become a nice round firm dough. the dough shld be smooth and firm.
leave to sit 4 about 2-3 hours.
roll out then fry.
when u perfect it u can substitute water for liquid milk.
hope i didnt 4get anything.
Re: Nigerian Recipes by anongal: 3:19pm On Feb 13, 2008
pestherel:

hey , please i need someone to give me the recipe for making delicious cake, i want to make a special valentine cake for my hussy. smiley wink[color=#990000][/color]

a cup of flour
250g butter
mixed fruits
i tsp baking powder
a cup of sugar
1/2 a cup of cocoa
lemon rind
6 eggs
nutmeg

mix the butter and sugar together until its very creamy. it would change colour and become white. usually afta 40 min add the eggs one at at time add the lemon rind, if u are using a wooden spoon be sure to mix in one direction.
next sieve the floor,bakin powder and cocoa together with a lil nutmeg just a pinch,add a spoon at a time into the butter mixture.add the raisins.
butter a tin heat the oven to 150 and put your cake in.
note make sure u heat the oven first.
dont open the oven till 40 min afta puttin ther cake in.
dont slam or hit the oven.
Re: Nigerian Recipes by blesyne(f): 9:35am On Feb 21, 2008
hi nairalanders,pls i need the recipe for coconut rice,fried rice and salad.u can pls send the recipe to my mail:hanniex_luv06
@yahoo.com.thanks. wink
Re: Nigerian Recipes by cuteness01: 3:42am On Mar 03, 2008
@ ironbutt

we also have something like that in russia,called "PELMENI" but the flour + meat fillings ready made.we just buy and cook
Re: Nigerian Recipes by IThinkNot(f): 6:47pm On Mar 07, 2008
OMG I wish i was back home right now!
Can i get the recipie for Okara soup Please?
Re: Nigerian Recipes by creekboy: 5:53pm On Mar 10, 2008
[center]Get all your stockfish online from
www.stockfishwarehouse.com[/center]

Re: Nigerian Recipes by lucabrasi(m): 9:54pm On Mar 26, 2008
hello u expert cooks on heretried my hand at making meat pie and it was too hard and the insides was kinda dry,also tried puff puff but it doesnt rise up in the ground nut oil like your photos last question can anybody tell me how to make ofada stew thanks for rescuing us guys with your lovely thread and pls rescue me before i burn the kitchen grin
Re: Nigerian Recipes by somer(f): 1:52pm On Mar 27, 2008
I'm new to this site and I want to add this simple and easy to prepare but quite tasty soup.
White Soup
Ingredients:
Whole chicken cut up ( I use live old layer - quite tasty too)
Salt
Nutmeg (4) cracked
Pounded yam (thickener)
Periwinkle
Ngolo (sea snail) optional
Scent leaf (nchawu) cut - used for preparing pepper soup
Dried fish (lady fish, gboh or doro)
Crayfish (grinded)
Fresh pepper (grinded)
Onion (large) - cut into pieces
2 knorr (or maggi) cubes

How to prepare
place the cut chicken (goat meat and snail can be used instead of chicken and of course the cooking time should be less) in a pot, add salt, 3/4 cupful water, nutmeg, knorr cubes and allow to boil for 25-35 mins, adding small amount of water when necessary.  Add the dried fish (washed with warm water to remove sand) and ngolo which is sold same place as the periwinkle, pepper, onion, grinded crayfish, cover pot and allow to cook for 5-15mins, add the periwinkle, small quantity pounded yam (you don't want the soup to be too thick!), cover pot and cook for 5 mins, stirring to see that most of the yam has melted, then add small quantity of the scent leaf (cut),   Allow to simmer for 1 min, correct seasoning, then remove pot from fire.

Serve with pounded yam or eba
Re: Nigerian Recipes by Ekpara: 10:00am On Mar 28, 2008
@Amaka1,
I read this thread with keen interest.It's a great one!
You have a wide range of recipes.Please,Can you tell me how to make Groundnut oil from groundnuts?
The entire process in details.

Thanks.
Re: Nigerian Recipes by mummyanne(f): 5:23pm On Mar 30, 2008
Hi All,
am new on this forum and quite happy to have found this website through google during my search for maggi family menu/nigerian recipes. They say necessity is the mother of invention.

Please can anyone be kind enough to forward to my mailbox the e copy of maggi family menu ? I will be grateful to receive it. I want to treat my french friends to naija dinner.
The gurus like Amaka1 should give us the recipes for entree and deserts, not only main course.

My e-mail is annaddeh@yahoo.co.uk. Thanks
Re: Nigerian Recipes by somer(f): 8:49am On Mar 31, 2008
I would also appreciate it if anyone can send me a copy of Maggi Family Menu to my mail box.  We all know that variety is the spice of life!  Thanks.  My email: deedi08@yahoo.com
Re: Nigerian Recipes by lucabrasi(m): 11:57pm On Mar 31, 2008
the gurl that started the thread has tried y'all so even if you want some recipes i think you should equally add yours as well , meanwhile pls can anyone please answer my earlier post pls thanks
Re: Nigerian Recipes by Leilah(f): 2:18pm On Apr 01, 2008
PLease coudl I have a copy og that maggi family menu. My email is: bamella_ahmed@yahoo.co.uk thanks!
Re: Nigerian Recipes by Caty47: 10:31pm On Apr 01, 2008
I need some clarification on making Akara. When it says to soak peas then grind, I am assuming that means using the peas right out of the bag from the store??

I also am trying to find a recipe for Red sauce and meat. I had some when I was at Yankari and it was so good. I got the recipe from the ladies there but I don't think I can actually make from that. If this sounds familiar to anyone I would appreciate a good recipe for this I am craving it already!
Re: Nigerian Recipes by mummyanne(f): 6:56pm On Apr 02, 2008
This is for Lucabrasi, if you have the maggi family menu, please send it to me.
To answer you, ofada stew is pretty much like you make red stew (which I just wrote out for caty47).
Instead of vegetable or groundnut oil, you use bleached red palm oil . In other words, heat up the red palm oil till it is bleached i.e smoking hot. Also, instead of red cherry tomatoes, you use half ripe tomatoes, blend with onion, cayenne pepper, and dried pepper. instead of using  maggi cubes or knorr cubes, you use native spices like iru (locust beans)and dry ground crayfish to season. Instead of red beef, you use cow skin, kidney, liver and entrails- cut up into small pieces. So you follow the recipe and conclude by pouring the blended vegetables into the meat and stock, stir , season with salt, iru, ground crayfish and tin tomato. Leave to simmer for about 10 minutes. Serve with ofada rice. Enjoy.
Re: Nigerian Recipes by lucabrasi(m): 7:31pm On Apr 02, 2008
@mummyanne i dont have the maggi family menu but if i come across it as im expecting someone to send it to me i'll surely let you have it and thanks for the ofada recipe as i have been doing it wrong and doesnt come out nice, pls how r bout the meat pie and puff puff,what am i doing wrong thanks
Re: Nigerian Recipes by mummyanne(f): 7:55pm On Apr 02, 2008
This is for CATY47. I seem to have erroneously hit the delete button and lost the recipe Ijust wrote out for you for akara and red stew/meat. Here goes again:

Akara

2cups white black-eye beans,( not peas.) or 50grams dry ground beans.
salt
1 medium onion
2cayenne peppers or fresh pepers ( optional if you dont like it spicy)
1/4 cup dry crayfish or 20 fresh shrimps
vegetable oil for frying

Soak the beans in water for 1 hour and peel of skin by rubbing together continuosly. Keep at it until all the skin is off, the beans is also soft enough to grind. cut half of the onion, wash and add to the beans with the peppers and washed dry crayfish. Blend in a blender until smooth. Turn into a mixing bowl , add a little water,and season with salt while mixing until
the consistency is like light oatmeal or light custard. If using fresh shrimps, boil lightly and pour into a small bowl ready to use. Heat up the oil and when ready, take a scoop of the mixture with a desert spoon, throw in one shrimp and pour in one by one untill you fill up the fryin pan or deep fryer. Allow to fry for about 3 minutes depending on size of akara balls and temp of the oil. Continue until the mixture is finished, Serve with pap, custard, quaker oats , eko or garri ijebu. Enjoy.

For red stew and beef

1/2 kg beef
12 red cherry tomatoes
3 red tatashe (ripened green pepper)
3 cayenne pepper
4 red fresh pepper
1 large onion
salt
1 knorr cube, 1 maggi crayfish, curry, thyme, celery salt, 1 small de-rica tomato puree
100ml vegetable oil or groundnut oil or your preference of cooking oil

Remove all fat and tendon from beef and wash thoroughly. Cut 1/4 of the onion into pieces and add to the meat in a pressure pot. Season with salt, knorr cube, curry and thyme. Cook for 20 minutes. Blend the tomatoes, peppers and remaining oinion  and cook for 10 minutes to remove water. Fry in the heated cooking oil for 5 minutes in a saucepan.
Pour the beef and sieved stock in to the saucepan and mix together. season with celery salt, maggi crayfish and simmer for 10 minutes or untill thickened to preferred consistency.  
Serve with rice, and / or plantain. ENJOY
p.s.
If you have the e-copy of the maggi family menu, please forward to my mailbox at annaddeh@yahoo.co.uk, thanks.

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (35) (Reply)

Nigerian Names Of Herbs And Plants / Cook In Your Kitchen, Take Pictures And Post It Here. SIMPLE!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.