Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,469 members, 7,816,111 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:10 AM

What Black And White People Really Think About One Another - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Black And White People Really Think About One Another (563 Views)

Post Your Independence Day Pictures Here. [dress Code Green And White] / Nnamdi Kanu's Petition To NJC May Have More Impact Than You Really Think / What Do You Think About My Boss' Parable? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

What Black And White People Really Think About One Another by Shymm3x: 12:05pm On Aug 24, 2015
here is a degree of truth-telling going on. The film Dear White People, released in the UK in July, is a satirical look at the situation of black students at a predominantly white Ivy League universities. Americans do a good trade in discussing cultural idiosyncrasies. Many a US standup comedian draws laughs from the idea that white people do things one way, while black people act differently. Such humour works less well in the UK. Yet, it is the contention of my friend Dotun Adebayo – broadcaster and columnist – that such trading on stereotypes happens in the UK in private, and he set out to prove it.

He presented two programmes this month on BBC Radio London, one on what white folks really think about black people, and the other on what black people really think about white people. The four white Britons he invited into the studio for the first programme said, without rancour, that they found black people loud, excessively feisty, excessively ebullient and oversensitive. Sample complaints: “When someone calls me ‘white trash’, I don’t get upset. Why do black people have to take a diss so personally?” and “Why has everything got to get an ‘Is it because I’m black?’ response?” This suggests that those who took part in the experiment had been exposed to a good few stereotypes, and principally very negative ones. The lack of frankness between the races about each other is more a white problem, said one, “because black people know more about us than we know about them”.

The following week, four black guests cheerily questioned why their white friends dress down while black people dress up, but – more seriously – cited an enduring reluctance to discuss what they saw as a core issue: majority mindsets conditioned still by the imposition of enslavement and colonialism. “They felt that for all the conversations white and black people have, they never truly deal with that. They saw it as the elephant in the room,” says Adebayo.

It wasn’t all just stereotypes, he says. There was a genuine acceptance among his white guests that black Britons get a raw deal, but although they felt part of an equation that caused them real concern, they felt impotent in terms of doing anything about it. Hence, perhaps, some of the frustrations and resentments expressed in private. Guilt and impotence never was a good mix.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/aug/23/what-black-and-white-people-really-think-about-one-another
Re: What Black And White People Really Think About One Another by Shymm3x: 12:08pm On Aug 24, 2015
Summary

This is what white people think about black people in general:

Why do black people have to take a diss so personally?” and “Why has everything got to get an ‘Is it because I’m black?’ response?” This suggests that those who took part in the experiment had been exposed to a good few stereotypes, and principally very negative ones. The lack of frankness between the races about each other is more a white problem, said one, “because black people know more about us than we know about them”.

And this is what black people think about white people in general:

four black guests cheerily questioned why their white friends dress down while black people dress up, but – more seriously – cited an enduring reluctance to discuss what they saw as a core issue: majority mindsets conditioned still by the imposition of enslavement and colonialism.

As a black person, what do you think about white people? And as a white person, "Koloyinbo", what do you think about black people?
Re: What Black And White People Really Think About One Another by AAinEqGuinea: 5:37pm On Aug 24, 2015
We're not white and we should enjoy our differences for eternity.

Btw, white (Americans) will get offended to "jokes" as well. I managed to upset people when relentless with insensitive jokes about victims of 9/11, veterans from the military, and how ISIS chopped off that white boy's head for the entire world to see. They'll get upset just as much as anyone else... and i really don't a fvck either grin cool since we're all being "innocently" shallow to test thickness

(1) (Reply)

I Dare Ambode To Release All Contracts Awarded By Fashole For 2014 / Change Of Moniker / Photo Of The Day: Residents Cheer As Governor Fayose Drives A Tipper Lorry In Ek

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.