Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,681 members, 7,816,786 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:07 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (116) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4388219 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (113) (114) (115) (116) (117) (118) (119) ... (3667) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by brabus(m): 6:35am On Jan 25, 2016
EgunMogaji:

Congrats.

How to wash am?

I've grown up now. We no dey cut cakes again. Now, we cut ribbons or lay stones to mark our beautiful day.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 6:38am On Jan 25, 2016
fash78:
Folks I am in the same boat with Befto with respect to my project. I have made up my mind to combine POP, ceiling screeding with cornices for the ground floor. And also combine POP and PVC for the first floor. However I just got a new idea but I am not sure if anybody have used this is naija before. In my present house my ground floor ceiling was done using what my builder called knockdown paint. It is a powdery paint that is water based. It is normally prayed on smoothly finished ceiling surface. See some of the pictures attached. This is the ground floor ceiling for my present house. Please can I get this in Lagos? Do we have artisans who know how to do this in Lagos?

Oga Dominion over to you sir
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by segcymoor(m): 6:47am On Jan 25, 2016
brabus:
Breaking News!

In the meantime, it's the week of my anniversaries. My birthday, wedding anniversary and NextHome will be clocking another year.

Your prayers and best wishes will be highly appreciated.

To mark this, the official laying of the foundation of NextHome Brick+Stone will kick off all activities on Thursday 28th January.

Thank you for all the wonderful years!

Good to know! Hope we are getting block at discount prices angry.....May Lord continue to florist ur organisation
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by brabus(m): 6:48am On Jan 25, 2016
Jummymine:
Good day everyone!Please I need your help urgently.my installer gave me this estimation for the roofing of my four bedroom flat with two living rooms.please help me to check it out.its for both 0.45 and 0.55m tower

@Jummymine, the elders called me into a meeting yesternight and scolded me for asking them to speak first. So here I go.

I'm not going to say anything about pricing. Just as many people have rightly advised here, go to the factory if you have the time. Otherwise, get the average market price put a little extra on it as "boys must chop" and get your roofing done.

However, my big uncles knew I'm good at spotting out errors and inconsistencies. Hence the reason they asked me to talk to you first.

My questions to you:

1. What's the dimension of your house?
2. Can you confirm to me that you only bought less than 8 units of 1*12*12 planks during your roofing woodwork or maybe you have a parapet?

The reason for this question is because I discovered your quote said you need only 20m fascia cladding. The easiest way to calculate cladding is to get the perimeter (L+Bx2) of the house. So I'm wondering if the whole building is not more than 20m and yet you have 75m eave angle and wall trim. That must be an error. So you need to ask your contractor this question

1. Did you actually measured the house?
2. Can you sketch down the house and do the calculations? Professional roofers do this.
3. What's the height of the kingpost? If it's more than 4m, cut off the excesses.

Get back to us as soon as possible. My uncle will be waiting to do justice to other questions you may have.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by brabus(m): 6:49am On Jan 25, 2016
segcymoor:

Good to know! Hope we are getting block at discount prices angry.....May Lord continue to florist ur organisation

Anyday, anytime bro.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 7:02am On Jan 25, 2016
twinskenny:
baba how you dey sir... Hope the snow didn't get to you

Snow ke? What's snow? grin

My oga, me I dey kampe for sunny and hot Southern California where you put me o.

In fact I put about 200 miles on Gertrude this afternoon.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by brabus(m): 8:38am On Jan 25, 2016
@jummymine - I decided not to look at the figures in my last post but when I looked I realized the major reason why Jesus Wept.

To prevent what happened in 1875 (like my good friend DominionNG used to say) from happening again, throw away the estimate and get a new one from a friend. The contractor who prepared this a great enemy.

Since my years in building, I've never spent up to N1,000,000 using long span roofing on a single build and below are the buildings I've done with less than N1m material and labour inclusive.

I've not spent that amount roofing any building except The Semi Detached Duplex in Diamond Estate Sangotedo where we used Wichtech Roofing. Anyone who paid more (for Aluminium or stone-coated) should ask for a refund. And there's never a single complain!

Chateau de Brabus | 400m2 | N800k (Material and Labour)

Villa Rosa | 260m2 | N330k (Material and Labour)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 10:06am On Jan 25, 2016
brabus:
Breaking News!

In the meantime, it's the week of my anniversaries. My birthday, wedding anniversary and NextHome will be clocking another year.

To mark this, the official laying of the foundation of NextHome Brick+Stone will kick off all activities on Thursday 28th January.

Happy anniversary.. And happy new year!

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Arnoldfish(m): 10:32am On Jan 25, 2016
Happy Birthday, Happy anniversary and God be with you Boss.
brabus:
Breaking News!

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 10:43am On Jan 25, 2016
brabus:

@Jummymine, the elders called me into a meeting yesternight and scolded me for asking them to speak first. So here I go.

I'm not going to say anything about pricing. Just as many people have rightly advised here, go to the factory if you have the time. Otherwise, get the average market price put a little extra on it as "boys must chop" and get your roofing done.

However, my big uncles knew I'm good at spotting out errors and inconsistencies. Hence the reason they asked me to talk to you first.

My questions to you:

1. What's the dimension of your house?
2. Can you confirm to me that you only bought less than 8 units of 1*12*12 planks during your roofing woodwork or maybe you have a parapet?

The reason for this question is because I discovered your quote said you need only 20m fascia cladding. The easiest way to calculate cladding is to get the perimeter (L+Bx2) of the house. So I'm wondering if the whole building is not more than 20m and yet you have 75m eave angle and wall trim. That must be an error. So you need to ask your contractor this question

1. Did you actually measured the house?
2. Can you sketch down the house and do the calculations? Professional roofers do this.
3. What's the height of the kingpost? If it's more than 4m, cut off the excesses.

Get back to us as soon as possible. My uncle will be waiting to do justice to other questions you may have.

Oga Brabus.. I think U misunderstand the roof guy. The 20m he put is actually a calculation of the breadth of the facial cladding x length of it. From the quote, i can deduce that the house is approx 25m x 11m. Perimeter of 75m. Since breadth of facial board is 1ft = 0.3m, then, 75*0.3 = 22.5.. Not far from what the man quoted.

Also the house doesn't have a parapet/ conc fascia. That much is seen from the quote

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Horlawoomey(m): 10:54am On Jan 25, 2016
Good day to everyone here.

I am a recent graduate with HND in Civil Engineering, I have up to two years working experience in the construction and real estate sector and finished my NYSC last October.

I am proficient in the use of AutoCAD for drafting, Microsoft office packages, social network platforms, site supervision, quantity estimation and I can communicate orally and verbally.

I just need an opportunity to be in the industry in order to gain more experience and not to stay idle. I won't mind little financial assistance though.

I can be reached on 0813 513 4212 or huthman27@gmail.com for my RESUME.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by smiley001(m): 11:18am On Jan 25, 2016
brabus:
Breaking News!

Congrats Chief... wia d parry @?

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by sgtkole: 12:47pm On Jan 25, 2016
Experts in the house.

Please enlighten us on the use of HOLLOW POTS in building construction!

A builder i was speaking to mentioned this and more clarification is needed on this topic. I have never heard of it before.

I anticipate your responses.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by babalose: 1:04pm On Jan 25, 2016
DOES ANYONE HAVE A CLUE ABOUT THIS LAGOS STATE MATERIAL TESTING LABORATORY? THE TELEPHONE NUMBERS ON THE PAPER THEY BROUGHT ARE NOT WORKING AND THERE WEBSITE HAS BEEN SUSPENDED.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 1:10pm On Jan 25, 2016
babalose:
DOES ANYONE HAVE A CLUE ABOUT THIS LAGOS STATE MATERIAL TESTING LABORATORY? THE TELEPHONE NUMBERS ON THE PAPER THEY BROUGHT ARE NOT WORKING AND THERE WEBSITE HAS BEEN SUSPENDED.
hm Naija for you... maybe you have to get to there office... or talk to oga segcymoor or aventure
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Jummymine(f): 1:21pm On Jan 25, 2016
@oga brabus thanks for your replies I really appreciate it and thanks everyone

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mavverick: 2:51pm On Jan 25, 2016
Hey guys

I have some questions, I am looking to cast a kitchen worktop. So I decided to come up with the actual plan so that everyone is clear etc.

from the plan below, I have the following questions.

Should the worktop be exactly 600mm, we know during casting that sometimes concrete mix does move etc, this all depends on the formwork obviously.

* What should be the thickness of the slab which will have tiles on it ?
* Should there be some holes created on the blockwork for things like services, I can think of the gas cooker gas supply hose.
* In the plan below, I can see an issue which is where will the gas cylinder be located ? Does anyone know height of a typical cooking gas cylinder ?
* what height should the worktop ? I have 900mm from the floor as height in mind.
* Is the 600mm space for the cooker sufficient, when I checked some of the cookers some are 500, others are 600. This is for a typical floor standing cooker.

Thanks in advance.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 3:40pm On Jan 25, 2016
sgtkole:
Experts in the house.

Please enlighten us on the use of HOLLOW POTS in building construction!

A builder i was speaking to mentioned this and more clarification is needed on this topic. I have never heard of it before.

I anticipate your responses.

Hollow port is made from burnt brick and used to filled void in a ribbed slab. The dimensions of the hollow varies depending on the design parameters of the rib slab.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by johnson232: 5:26pm On Jan 25, 2016
brabus:
@jummymine - I decided not to look at the figures in my last post but when I looked I realized the major reason why Jesus Wept.

To prevent what happened in 1875 (like my good friend DominionNG used to say) from happening again, throw away the estimate and get a new one from a friend. The contractor who prepared this a great enemy.

Since my years in building, I've never spent up to N1,000,000 using long span roofing on a single build and below are the buildings I've done with less than N1m material and labour inclusive.

I've not spent that amount roofing any building except The Semi Detached Duplex in Diamond Estate Sangotedo where we used Wichtech Roofing. Anyone who paid more (for Aluminium or stone-coated) should ask for a refund. And there's never a single complain!

Chateau de Brabus | 400m2 | N800k (Material and Labour)

Villa Rosa | 260m2 | N330k (Material and Labour)
the gauge sir brabus...
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by brabus(m): 7:25pm On Jan 25, 2016
KolaShangOne:

Oga Brabus.. I think U misunderstand the roof guy. The 20m he put is actually a calculation of the breadth of the facial cladding x length of it. From the quote, i can deduce that the house is approx 25m x 11m. Perimeter of 75m. Since breadth of facial board is 1ft = 0.3m, then, 75*0.3 = 22.5.. Not far from what the man quoted.

Also the house doesn't have a parapet/ conc fascia. That much is seen from the quote

Sir KolaShangOne, tell me you didn't see the inconsistencies in the quote.
I understand that part but you didn't see that I also queried wall trim and eave angle.

Cladding is normally 0.25m (no assumption/approximation) while eave angle and wall trim is 0.150 girth. How come they're (wall trim and eave angle) more than the cladding in the estimate?

What about the scary figures? .55 is normally N1,150 (figure coming from installer who go chop hin own o), how come we got N1,750?

I don't like doing this online but I think the contractor is more of an enemy than a friend to this client.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by brabus(m): 7:27pm On Jan 25, 2016
johnson232:

the gauge sir brabus...

0.45 in the chateau and villa rosa and 0.55 in the reserve.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by johnson232: 7:30pm On Jan 25, 2016
brabus:

0.45 in the chateau and villa rosa and 0.55 in the reserve.
thanks..
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mavverick: 8:26pm On Jan 25, 2016
mavverick:
Hey guys

I have some questions, I am looking to cast a kitchen worktop. So I decided to come up with the actual plan so that everyone is clear etc.

Should the worktop be exactly 600mm, we know during casting that sometimes concrete mix does move etc, this all depends on the formwork obviously.

* Should there be some holes created on the blockwork for things like services, I can think of the gas cooker gas supply hose.
* In the plan below, I can see an issue which is where will the gas cylinder be located ? Does anyone know height of a typical cooking gas cylinder ?
* what height should the worktop ? I have 900mm from the floor as height in mind.
* Is the 600mm space for the cooker sufficient, when I checked some of the cookers some are 500, others are 600. This is for a typical floor standing cooker.

Thanks in advance.

Our engineers in the house. Any thoughts ?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Arnoldfish(m): 10:25am On Jan 26, 2016
Obviously, That quote is killing. it is a "NO MERCY QUOTE" The contractor will use the money to roof the clients house and also roof his. there are a lot of inconsistencies on the quote with repeated items on different names. all those eave angles, bottom flashing, angle ridge, gutter trimming and plenty plenty names they all are flat coils which will be folded for its individual use after purchase. This quote is wickedness in highest order. JUMMYMINE ejoor go First aluminium or any aluminium roofing sheet coy around you, make inquiries, incase u dey fear say u no go know the original...ask of First aluminium sheet or tower ...take an installer from there to ur site to get his cutting list then back to the coy to buy ur sheets...I bet u you will save over 3000k
Jummymine:
Good day everyone!Please I need your help urgently.my installer gave me this estimation for the roofing of my four bedroom flat with two living rooms.please help me to check it out.its for both 0.45 and 0.55m tower
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Jummymine(f): 11:08am On Jan 26, 2016
Arnoldfish:
Obviously, That quote is killing. it is a "NO MERCY QUOTE" The contractor will use the money to roof the clients house and also roof his. there are a lot of inconsistencies on the quote with repeated items on different names. all those eave angles, bottom flashing, angle ridge, gutter trimming and plenty plenty names they all are flat coils which will be folded for its individual use after purchase. This quote is wickedness in highest order. JUMMYMINE ejoor go First aluminium or any aluminium roofing sheet coy around you, make inquiries, incase u dey fear say u no go know the original...ask of First aluminium sheet or tower ...take an installer from there to ur site to get his cutting list then back to the coy to buy ur sheets...I bet u you will save over 3000k
thank you.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by befto: 12:22pm On Jan 26, 2016
Hi there,
You can try Systems aluminium. They do Sumo oven baked roofing sheet and they did a good deal for me when I roofed two buildings.
I can get you the details if you like. Tower and First Alumium were my first choices but they were way too expensive for me.

Jummymine:
thank you.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 1:00pm On Jan 26, 2016
befto:
Hi there,
You can try Systems aluminium. They do Sumo oven baked roofing sheet and they did a good deal for me when I roofed two buildings.
I can get you the details if you like. Tower and First Alumium were my first choices but they were way too expensive for me.

Can you please post their info here and their websites if they have any. Thanks.

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by befto: 1:21pm On Jan 26, 2016
This is their website:

http://www.standardasl.com/

Office Address

Standard ASL
Sales Office: 134, Abeokuta Express Way, Araromi Bus Stop, Iyana-Ipaja Lagos, Nigeria

mufutau55:

Can you please post their info here and their websites if they have any. Thanks.

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 3:38pm On Jan 26, 2016
befto:
This is their website:
http://www.standardasl.com/

Office Address
Standard ASL
Sales Office: 134, Abeokuta Express Way, Araromi Bus Stop, Iyana-Ipaja Lagos, Nigeria

Thanks for the info Bro.

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by befto: 3:53pm On Jan 26, 2016
And you also get their installer to do it for you (off the books)

mufutau55:

Thanks for the info Bro.

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Dominionng(m): 4:05pm On Jan 26, 2016
mavverick:
Hey guys

Thanks in advance.

cc TouchstoneNgr
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Dominionng(m): 4:08pm On Jan 26, 2016
twinskenny:

Oga Dominion over to you sir

Thanks for the heads up Boss. Answered already on the other thread.

(1) (2) (3) ... (113) (114) (115) (116) (117) (118) (119) ... (3667) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: MrJaay(m), Studentcosmos(m) and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.