Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,626 members, 7,813,055 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 05:54 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (117) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4378078 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (114) (115) (116) (117) (118) (119) (120) ... (3664) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 5:45pm On Jan 26, 2016
befto:
And you also get their installer to do it for you (off the books)

Hah! Thanks for that...

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Olabamijie(m): 7:59pm On Jan 26, 2016
Hello nairalanders, Architects, Builders and Civil Engineers alike, how una dey?

There’s this little problem I hope we can all solve together. The plan attached is a 3beedroom Bungalow my client bought from one of these estate developers here in Abuja. I believe we are all familiar with their clause of having to build in accordance with specified prototype mandated by the developer. My client is a single young man and he feels a 3bedroom apartment is just too much for him for now. We consulted the developer and they relaxed the clause just a bit: we are allowed to alter the interior parts of the proposed plan but shouldn’t shift a block of the exterior (window/door positions MUST remain the same).

NOW.

How best do you think we can alter this plan to get a functional 2bedroom and another 1bedroom apartment under the same roof working with the earlier mentioned restrictions?

Every input will be warmly appreciated.

Thanks.

CC @abdulwastecx

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by adanny01(m): 8:33pm On Jan 26, 2016
Olabamijie:
Hello nairalanders, Architects, Builders and Civil Engineers alike, how una dey?

There’s this little problem I hope we can all solve together. The plan attached is a 3beedroom Bungalow my client bought from one of these estate developers here in Abuja. I believe we are all familiar with their clause of having to build in accordance with specified prototype mandated by the developer. My client is a single young man and he feels a 3bedroom apartment is just too much for him for now. We consulted the developer and they relaxed the clause just a bit: we are allowed to alter the interior parts of the proposed plan but shouldn’t shift a block of the exterior (window/door positions MUST remain the same).

NOW.

How best do you think we can alter this plan to get a functional 2bedroom and another 1bedroom apartment under the same roof working with the earlier mentioned restrictions?

Every input will be warmly appreciated.

Thanks.

After about 20secs of thinking, i concluded its impossible for one simple reason.

External doors!

You will be limited to 2 external does which i assume should serve as entrance for each flat. We all know you need 2 external doors per flat usually siting room and kitchen doors.

I cant imagine living in a 2 bedroom flat with only one external door or a kitchen with no external door. If you cant have that, its simply impossible.

My advice is to ask the estate developer for a corner piece where 2 more doors can be introduced away from view. Only then should we can start thinking.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by brabus(m): 8:38pm On Jan 26, 2016
^^^
Final answer!
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 8:54pm On Jan 26, 2016
adanny01:

After about 20secs of thinking, i concluded its impossible for one simple reason.

External doors!

You will be limited to 2 external does which i assume should serve as entrance for each flat. We all know you need 2 external doors per flat usually siting room and kitchen doors.

I cant imagine living in a 2 bedroom flat with only one external door or a kitchen with no external door. If you cant have that, its simply impossible.

My advice is to ask the estate developer for a corner piece where 2 more doors can be introduced away from view. Only then should we can start thinking.

Is there a code that requires two doors per unit?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by adanny01(m): 9:13pm On Jan 26, 2016
EgunMogaji:

Is there a code that requires two doors per unit?

I may not be able to quote without researching, but its against design ethics to design a living quarters without an alternative exit.

In some places it is illegal for safety reasons. For convenience it is very necessary to have another exit.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 9:17pm On Jan 26, 2016
adanny01:

I may not be able to quote without researching, but its against design ethics to design a living quarters without an alternative exit.

In some places it is illegal for safety reasons. For convenience it is very necessary to have another exit.

If you come up with a building code that specifies this I would love to have it handy.

I don't particularly care about convenience or design ethics.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by adanny01(m): 9:32pm On Jan 26, 2016
EgunMogaji:

If you come up with a building code that specifies this I would love to have it handy.

I don't particularly care about convenience or design ethics.

I know what you mean.

Like i said, i dont have it to quote right now but i know it exist especially with regards to fire codes. You may choose not to follow codes and so many Nigerians choose not to, but i wont do what is not professionally advised.

Egress is what the codes uses. It also concerns number of stairwells for multrise buildings. I cant go into details but some bits of it are in the back of my head.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 9:59pm On Jan 26, 2016
adanny01:

I know what you mean.

Like i said, i dont have it to quote right now but i know it exist especially with regards to fire codes. You may choose not to follow codes and so many Nigerians choose not to, but i wont do what is not professionally advised.

Egress is what the codes uses. It also concerns number of stairwells for multrise buildings. I cant go into details but some bits of it are in the back of my head.

You don't know what I chose to do or not do so please stop the preaching.

Share the code if you do find it and still care to share.

Thanks.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by adanny01(m): 10:06pm On Jan 26, 2016
EgunMogaji:

You don't know what I chose to do or not do so please stop the preaching.

Share the code if you do find it and still care to share.

Thanks.

This officially the third time i am having this kind of fracas with you where you insist on getting facts when i told you already am not in a psotion to do so. Am in a beer palour, you cant force me to go to my pc to get proof for you.

Like the gospel of Christ, you take it or leave it. You can use the option of politely asking to get proof.

6 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 10:14pm On Jan 26, 2016
I'm designing a Mai guards house. It will be either octagon or hexagon structure built out of wood on top of a concrete slab. Approximately 120 square feet.

I'm interested in reading about Nigerian building codes. Does anyone have a url to Nigerian building codes

Thanks.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 10:15pm On Jan 26, 2016
adanny01:

This officially the third time i am having this kind of fracas with you where you insist on getting facts when i told you already am not in a psotion to do so. Am in a beer palour, you cant force me to go to my pc to get proof for you.

Like the gospel of Christ, you take it or leave it. You can use the option of politely asking to get proof.

Oh stuff it.

Answer the question or stop preaching already. Your postings are typically do as I say or the heavens will fall and hence why I always pin you to provide proof and guess what I'll always press you regardless of how much you try to weasel out of doing so.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Olabamijie(m): 10:34pm On Jan 26, 2016
Thank you, but is there a building code restricting single access to buildings? sure I know safety could be considered but not withstanding, cant something functional be made of this plan?

adanny01:

External doors!

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by geejayjax: 10:36pm On Jan 26, 2016
Hello house, couldn't read the whole thread but with the little av read, am sure this thread is very educative. Am a fresh Civil Eng'g graduate and I am eager to learn for all d experienced gurus in the house.. Thanks and God bless
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by adanny01(m): 11:24pm On Jan 26, 2016
EgunMogaji:

Oh stuff it.

Answer the question or stop preaching already. Your postings are typically do as I say or the heavens will fall and hence why I always pin you to provide proof and guess what I'll always press you regardless of how much you try to weasel out of doing so.

Just like it was before! You wont see me down there with you.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by adanny01(m): 11:37pm On Jan 26, 2016
Olabamijie:
Thank you, but is there a building code restricting single access to buildings? sure I know safety could be considered but not withstanding, cant something functional be made of this plan?

This is Nigeria, we are not known to follow laws sacrosanct.

Just like i said before, i wont be comfortable in a house with no alternative exit and wont advice anyone as such.

This brings back a thought, i know a certain goverment quarters where the house was built in 1979. The main flat has 2 exits and all windows buglar proofed while the BQ has only 2 independent rooms with one room but windows are not buglar proofed. There is a reason the designer or contractor did what he did.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Chekitaut: 11:49pm On Jan 26, 2016
brabus:
^^^
Final answer!
wetin happen, na wa ooo since morning
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 12:08am On Jan 27, 2016
adanny01:

Just like it was before! You wont see me down there with you.

I'll always be above you dude, always.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 12:09am On Jan 27, 2016
adanny01:

Just like i said before, i wont be comfortable in a house with no alternative exit and wont advice anyone as such.

This brings back a thought, i know a certain goverment quarters where the house was built in 1979. The main flat has 2 exits and all windows buglar proofed while the BQ has only 2 independent rooms with one room but windows are not buglar proofed. There is a reason the designer or contractor did what he did.

More whimsical old wives tale with no hard facts. Typical of you.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by brabus(m): 3:55am On Jan 27, 2016
EgunMogaji:
I'm designing a Mai guards house. It will be either octagon or hexagon structure built out of wood on top of a concrete slab. Approximately 120 square feet.

I'm interested in reading about Nigerian building codes. Does anyone have a url to Nigerian building codes

Thanks.

http://sdngnet.com/Files/Lectures/FUTA-ARC-807-Professional_Practice_and_Procedure/CD%202013-2014/National%20Building%20Code%20of%20Nigeria%202006.pdf

Olabamijie:

Read up the national building codes above for the permissible number of access, exits and egress. I suggest you read up environmental and design requirements for all class of buildings. There are building codes in Naija and I knew I've been walked through this a number of times while seeking approval in some well planned estates. K-024 by NextHome is a perfect example.

Nigeria is not a zoo afterall!

Baba EgunMogaji, you want to read from page 175 to see all about exits and egress (the requirements for each building class)
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 4:03am On Jan 27, 2016
brabus:

http://sdngnet.com/Files/Lectures/FUTA-ARC-807-Professional_Practice_and_Procedure/CD%202013-2014/National%20Building%20Code%20of%20Nigeria%202006.pdf

Read up the national building codes above for the permissible number of access, exits and egress. I suggest you read up environmental and design requirements for all class of buildings. There are building codes in Naija and I knew I've been walked through this a number of times while seeking approval in some well planned estates. K-024 by NextHome is a perfect example.

Nigeria is not a zoo afterall!

Baba EgunMogaji, you want to read from page 175 to see all about exits and egress (the requirements for each building class)

I'll do just that.

Thanks bestest friend #167,876
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by brabus(m): 4:06am On Jan 27, 2016
adanny01:

Ever wondered why face-me-I-face-you is so common in the 80's, it's simply because of the exit requirements. Even the 4 flats do have back exits. Multi-tenants/high rise do have large exits per floor apart from the elevators.

We brought the exit door issues upon ourselves with all this miniflat concept and ideas. Except it's a prison, all livable flats requires an entry and exit.

All these are defined in the National Building Code.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 4:40am On Jan 27, 2016
adanny01:

You are not alone... I wouldn't either. Law or no law. Building Code or no code.

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 4:51am On Jan 27, 2016
brabus:

Ever wondered why face-me-I-face-you is so common in the 80's, it's simply because of the exit requirements. Even the 4 flats do have back exits. Multi-tenants/high rise do have large exits per floor apart from the elevators.

We brought the exit door issues upon ourselves with all this miniflat concept and ideas. Except it's a prison, all livable flats requires an entry and exit.

All these are defined in the National Building Code.

I agree and both my build have at least two exits.

What I'm looking for is where it's written in the code - my request for this simple request is being misconstrued / but that's okay. I'm EgunMogaji oko Afusat and it comes with the territory grin

I keep on pouring through the link you sent. I read all about helipads and airport control towers but nothing yet on how many exits grin

I'm from Missouri, the show me state wink
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by brabus(m): 4:56am On Jan 27, 2016
EgunMogaji:

I agree and both my build have at least two exits.

What I'm looking for is where it's written in the code - my request for this simple request is being misconstrued / but that's okay. I'm EgunMogaji oko Afusat and it comes with the territory grin

I keep on pouring through the link you sent. I read all about helipads and airport control towers but nothing yet on how many exits grin

Baba you cannot have digested the 476 page document in 1 hour na.

Take your time. The document contains everything you need to know about Nigeria Building Codes.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by brabus(m): 5:07am On Jan 27, 2016
Baba what more would you like to see, I can help you get it faster. I've familiarize myself with the document over time so getting info is never a big deal.

To Missouri with love grin

@Olabamijie, read up 7.3.1.3 attached. It's actually applies to your scenario. Go ahead and do it and stop complaining about the rot in Nigeria system.

The developer gave you a hard nut to crack by asking you to go ahead and alter the interior parts but shouldn’t shift a block of the exterior (window/door positions MUST remain the same).
They did this because they noticed you won't shift grounds.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 5:18am On Jan 27, 2016
brabus:

Baba you cannot have digested the 476 page document in 1 hour na.

Take your time. The document contains everything you need to know about Nigeria Building Codes.

Trust me Brabus I have been looking for this codes and I intend to pour over it. I searched for exits, doors and egress and yes I've read everything about that in the vide already.

My building is an H and I didn't see any reference yet to that.

I saw what you posted already but I consider it not related to what I'm looking for. Why would I compare my 2 bedroom bungalow in the same quantity as a 500 person edifice?

So I continue to read.

Again, I've been looking for this.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 5:26am On Jan 27, 2016
@ Brabus

Chief, see the attached from the bible, it specifically mentions single exit. I'm hitting a wall, pun intended, on where it allows as such. I mean if it mentions it in the sense of existing then surely it's permitted.

PS: I already indexed this code book so I can pretty much hit on any subject now grin

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 5:33am On Jan 27, 2016
But the helipad section should prove useful in the near future smiley

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by brabus(m): 5:52am On Jan 27, 2016
EgunMogaji o! Oko Afusatu o! Ati t'oje b'oloosa l'owo, o ku baba eni ti o bo. Now that you're armed with the info, kill the big fish grin grin

Nigeria stopped working when you, Hajji Mufutau55 and a lot of you guys in diaspora ran away. This document has been in existence over 3 decades ago. Trust me, if you want easy approval, go to the government. If you want a hard nut to crack, go to well established estates managed by Professionals and retired architects/planners of the 70s - 80s. You go hear wen!

I hope the owner is not reading this. It took me one year to get approval for K-024 after one of the leading Nigeria Architect (among the 1st 20 in Nigeria) has been floored and asked to redesign.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by brabus(m): 5:56am On Jan 27, 2016
EgunMogaji:
@ Brabus

Chief, see the attached from the bible, it specifically mentions single exit. I'm hitting a wall, pun intended, on where it allows as such. I mean if it mentions it in the sense of existing then surely it's permitted.

PS: I already indexed this code book so I can pretty much hit on any subject now grin

Architect and Builders - Beware of EgunMogaji. He has found the lost Chronicles grin grin

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by adanny01(m): 7:38am On Jan 27, 2016
EgunMogaji:

I'll always be above you dude, always.

Typical above everyone attitude that led you to change your moniker several times to hide face after embarassing yourself that many times.

You cannot push me to give you the code, you can only ask politely and i will get it for you.

I only respect you because from your history you should be as old as my father. I guess we Nigerians have respect for elders by default, that makes you above me. Happy

8 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (114) (115) (116) (117) (118) (119) (120) ... (3664) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: kdaddy, Jokay07(m) and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.