Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,664 members, 7,955,399 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 03:38 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (1151) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4713965 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1148) (1149) (1150) (1151) (1152) (1153) (1154) ... (3755) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by OALandAgents: 3:02pm On Apr 20, 2019
Happy Ester good people of N.L

mufutau55:
Off-Topic Thread - To Discuss Anything and Everything that doesn't fit into an individual thread.
Let's discuss everything pertaining to Building Constructions, Real estate and some more.

Note: Please no products or services advertisements... there are plenty of other threads for that already. No buying and selling on this thread.

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Dubemcapital1(m): 4:32pm On Apr 20, 2019
spyder880:
Fellow building industry workers, it's time we start finding solutions to some things in the industry. Sometimes When We Work To Cast Concrete on block holes To form lintels, parapets, mass concrete or other works. We notice that concrete falls into block holes and if not blocked with bricks and sometimes the non conventional means of using cement bags, this is a big waste of cement, sand and chippings, plus time and money for labor. We should think of cheap but workable alternatives.

I think we should start making polystyrene chips to fit into block holes. I think the prices of the polystyrene filling will be minimal to compare the cost of breaking blocks to fill in block gaps or using other things. I think polystyrene filling will be easier and faster to place on block holes before iron reinforcement.

Quite thoughtful of you oga spyder but maybe difficult to install considering the fact that some concrete labourers are too rough they may burst the polystyrene during casting also the stress of going to the market and more I think is better to use 5" solid block to cover 9" hollow block.

5",6" and 9" block have one common side size so all that is needed is to cover the leveling by laying 5" solid block down (it's light weight to compare others) as the last course of the leveling.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bumpercj: 4:33pm On Apr 20, 2019
smiley smiley
mufutau55:
Off-Topic Thread - To Discuss Anything and Everything that doesn't fit into an individual thread.
Let's discuss everything pertaining to Building Constructions, Real estate and some more.

Note: Please no products or services advertisements... there are plenty of other threads for that already. No buying and selling on this thread.

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 5:17pm On Apr 20, 2019
bobkezel:

The blocks are not hollow blocks, they are 6" blocks.

Please run a beam then. Let your beam be the height of a block.

In my previous brief story of using a 5" block(solid) instead of minimum 6" block being procured by my client. At the 4th course, the blocks were waving like a wind action was upon them. My mason carefully managed to put the 5th course. It got me wondering because I did not expect given the size of the tank. I had made provisions for columns but never intended to run a beam since my intention was to use 9" hollow blocks. But given the new situation I had to run a beam.

I have previously post a pix of it but I'll do same again. Just you see the size.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by GoodFaith: 5:30pm On Apr 20, 2019
bixton:

Differed opinions is allowed.
Engineering construction is applied sciences from knowledge gotten over a period on the field.
Yes, its advisable one stick to best engineering practices.
But what if a client does not have the resources to adhere to such or insist his/her way?
Will you abandon the job or act as an Engineer and proffer alternative solutions to get the job accomplished?

You need to have field experience to be able to build. Not all clients understands engineering best practice.
Be an Engineer and apply the knowledge.

Let me cut a story short....
A recent soakaway/septic tank I did for a client.....
After explaining what I intend to do, I requested for 9" hollow blocks, 16mm/12mm rods, etc....
Client and site manager went and purchased 5" solid blocks thinking it was 6"solid. I requested to see who supplied the blocks. He came and was on same side with the client. We argued over it, I got angry, my artisans got angry too.
We were already on site so we got the job done.

What was the cost?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 5:35pm On Apr 20, 2019
GoodFaith:

What was the cost?

Mr. Good Faith, you have asked me this question in some pages down and I responded there.
Thanks.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by GoodFaith: 6:10pm On Apr 20, 2019
bixton:

Mr. Good Faith, you have asked me this question in some pages down and I responded there.
Thanks.
This is new project or same ?
If new
Was the price different?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 6:14pm On Apr 20, 2019
GoodFaith:

This is new project or same ?
If new
Was the price different?

It's the same project.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by GoodFaith: 6:17pm On Apr 20, 2019
bixton:

It's the same project.
OK, thanks

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 6:38pm On Apr 20, 2019
diordaves:

From your post, I can say I don't have the full information, but I can say that the collapse is despite the columns and not as a result of the columns. Columns and beams don't collapse structures.

It may be the soakaway design is not suitable for the soil condition or the design was poorly executed in some if not all aspect of the design. The soil may be more challenging for this type of traditional design.

Columns and beams when properly introduced with the right span make a safe structure.

You are sounding like building a soakaway/septic tank is an advanced AA++ work.
I'd assume you ask the Op more questions other than speculating to arrive at answers.
Columns/beams act as frames/sub frames in any structural element.

Can you also speculate the reason(s) behind this collapse?

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 7:22pm On Apr 20, 2019
bixton:

You are sounding like building a soakaway/septic tank is an advanced AA++ work.
I'd assume you ask the Op more questions other than speculating to arrive at answers.
Columns/beams act as frames/sub frames in any structural element.

Can you also speculate the reason(s) behind this collapse?

This look like a water log area

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bobkezel(m): 11:52pm On Apr 20, 2019
bixton:

Please run a beam then. Let your beam be the height of a block.

In my previous brief story of using a 5" block(solid) instead of minimum 6" block being procured by my client. At the 4th course, the blocks were waving like a wind action was upon them. My mason carefully managed to put the 5th course. It got me wondering because I did not expect given the size of the tank. I had made provisions for columns but never intended to run a beam since my intention was to use 9" hollow blocks. But given the new situation I had to run a beam.

I have previously post a pix of it but I'll do same again. Just you see the size.

Thank you boss, beam was run finally.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by yaliyu963(m): 12:16am On Apr 21, 2019
bobkezel:

What about pillar and beam in the middle. Is it a must?

depending on your span. you can do away with columns but beams are mostly required. the beams will rest on the load bearing walls then it will carry d slab
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Osquarefryo(m): 9:09am On Apr 21, 2019
Can one help with cost of upstair foundation of 2 units of 2 bedroom and a self contain....
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 9:23am On Apr 21, 2019
Osquarefryo:
Can one help with cost of upstair foundation of 2 units of 2 bedroom and a self contain....
You have architectural & structural drawings?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 9:26am On Apr 21, 2019
bobkezel:

What about pillar and beam in the middle. Is it a must?
Not a must
But what is the size of your soakway?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bobkezel(m): 9:38am On Apr 21, 2019
Rubbiish:

Not a must
But what is the size of your soakway?
12 by 10 ft, 12ft deep.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 10:05am On Apr 21, 2019
bobkezel:

12 by 10 ft, 12ft deep.
This size serve for the septic tank and soakway with a partition?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bobkezel(m): 12:15pm On Apr 21, 2019
Rubbiish:

This size serve for the septic tank and soakway with a partition?
Yes
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by elengine: 1:49pm On Apr 21, 2019
Your head dey there. I will keep in touch. This is where my project get to.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by elengine: 1:57pm On Apr 21, 2019
Adedward:
[quote gud mornin here, happy easter, its me A AND S ALUMINIUM VENTURES, as we are celebrating easter , and we should plan for how to get windows done, with us here,

We will talk about this soon

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 2:29pm On Apr 21, 2019
elengine:
well done God will complete it.. Kindly check our thread too... electrical cctv etc

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Adedward(m): 4:09pm On Apr 21, 2019
[quote author=elengine post=77730367][/quote]OK sir
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by topsy23: 4:17pm On Apr 21, 2019
Happy Easter to Everyone

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by temi4fash(m): 4:24pm On Apr 21, 2019
elengine:

How many bedroom duplex is this??
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Osquarefryo(m): 5:42pm On Apr 21, 2019
Rubbiish:

You have architectural & structural drawings?
They are on it
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by JustNiyi2(m): 6:28pm On Apr 21, 2019
I'm into cleaning and fumigation services

Please sir/ma I'm in need of connection you after the construction is cleaning.

Please sir/ma check my signature.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by megacontrol(m): 8:47pm On Apr 21, 2019
you probably don't understand how building approval works.
the ministry should have intimated the builder of such requirements at the building approval processing stage but they deliberately don't do that. Especially in that Eti-osa / Ibeju axis where Ajah falls under, even if you inquire they will never brief you proporly of the requirements.
This safety thing is one of the other supplementary clearances/approval that should be processed simultaneously along with your building approval but they wont do it. You imagine after waiting close to one year to properly process building approval (because you want to do the right thing) and spending big bucks, you go o site and one asshole shows up with this nonsense claiming safety and demanding money. the system is designed not to work but to frustrate and exploit you, even for those that want to do the right thing.

This doesn't compare to a regulated offshore construction project where there are known standards. this one is just mere paper exercise, they don't check nothing for compliance as that'e not the intention.

Oduok:

You would have spent less should you have engaged the services of a safety engineer for construction safety presence. I never knew there is this level of regulation for construction projects onshore - I'm happy to see this. It is only on offshore construction projects, that I represent contractors as safety rep, that I see this level of enforcement. Nigerians, it is high time we started doing the right thing, in line with global best practices. Construction safety has been a serious concern to the world safety body - ILO. The Nigerian situation a serious concern to me as well.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by dalof2000: 9:53pm On Apr 21, 2019
Please house what will be the typical cost of materials and labor to pay for electrical wiring of a 2 bedroom bungalow all rooms ensuite in Ogijo/ Ikorodu area. Thanks
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by blacksta(m): 10:02pm On Apr 21, 2019
Good Day

Please any idea what something like this may cost

Location.. Lagos

Thanks

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by dalof2000: 10:41pm On Apr 21, 2019
twinskenny:
0806 793 6084

Do u need an electrician or plumber too?
Yes o, boss, me I need an electrician for some info, and if you're around Ogiko / Ikorodu area I might have something for you.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by topsy23: 11:02pm On Apr 21, 2019
dalof2000:
Please house what will be the typical cost of materials and labor to pay for electrical wiring of a 2 bedroom bungalow all rooms ensuite in Ogijo/ Ikorodu area. Thanks

Do you have drawings

(1) (2) (3) ... (1148) (1149) (1150) (1151) (1152) (1153) (1154) ... (3755) (Reply)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.