Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,122 members, 7,818,368 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:44 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (1181) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4395652 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1178) (1179) (1180) (1181) (1182) (1183) (1184) ... (3668) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Tammynator(m): 12:00pm On Jun 16, 2019
verbena:
Please I need advise on doors (security and internal) or tiling which one should happen first. My tiler is telling me needs doors before tiling while the door person is telling me I should tile before putting in the doors. I plan on using imported HDF doors for the internal doors.

I think u should tile before putting doors. So that the exact length of the door will be taken. U can adjust the door length after tiling to avoid scrubbing on the tiles. If u put the door first, the clearance between the door and tiles might be too small or too wide.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 12:05pm On Jun 16, 2019
Tammynator:
Good day once again my esteemed team of builders and professionals. I have another question.
If someone is to cast a dpc, does he have to do some part of the plumbing before the casting? I keep wondering how drains for the bathroom and the toilet will be done when dpc has been cast already. Especially, the recessed type in bathrooms. Imagine having your foundation up to 6 courses high do u need to bore the wall by the side to direct the toilet waste and bathroom drains to the pit? Does your pit also need to be up to the dpc height? Thanks team.

There are so many ways to go about such but the ideal thing is to do your waste piping inlet-outlet before the casting.
With regards to the pit, the final height/level of your pit is supposed to correspond with your interlocking stones/concrete pavement/increte.
Except there's some particular reason you want it to be different.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by jceesquare(m): 12:52pm On Jun 16, 2019
mank1234:

The cost of return and resending should be born by the seller because it's his error.
I agree with you, but the buyer can assist if he doesn't mind.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Royruky(m): 2:32pm On Jun 16, 2019
jceesquare:

The SELLER should bear the cost with a big APOLOGY. His explanation is lame. Spoiling business for genuine businessmen.

6 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by adanny01(m): 2:50pm On Jun 16, 2019
jceesquare:

Exactly the point.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by adanny01(m): 2:57pm On Jun 16, 2019
verbena:
Please I need advise on doors (security and internal) or tiling which one should happen first. My tiler is telling me needs doors before tiling while the door person is telling me I should tile before putting in the doors. I plan on using imported HDF doors for the internal doors.

Install any steel door before tiling because steel doors are not adjustable neither is an already set tile.

HDF or wooden doors can be installed after tiling.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by happney65: 3:01pm On Jun 16, 2019
verbena:

I think the doors should be fixed before Tiling..Spaces would already be given for the tiles when fixing the doors..That was how I did mine though
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by jceesquare(m): 3:13pm On Jun 16, 2019
Royruky:

The SELLER should bear the cost with a big APOLOGY. His explanation is lame. Spoiling business for genuine businessmen.
Well said sir. In a normal business environment the seller should bear the brunt of his (perceived) error as defended by him.
But...
I'd suggest the buyer should throw in a widows mite in support for quick delivery and forestall further escalation of the already dented relationship if the supplier delays in replacing the defective doors on time.
The other way out is supplier paying buyer back certain % for damages and compensation if buyer wouldn't mind (personally I think this would be easiest and fastest way to resolve the issue).
Whichever way both parties choose to settle the issue would teach other suppliers a big lesson. You don't cut corners to hit big, and as they say “customers are kings” treat them as one and let them know every details of what they PAID for.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Olatunji67POP(m): 4:35pm On Jun 16, 2019
My name is Olatunji, a POP expert. I am into POP artworks and designs.

Please consult me for your POP artworks and designs and you will NEVER regret you did. For superb works and affordable fees, I am at your service sirs and ma'am.

phone number:07062567817

1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Biztech05(m): 5:26pm On Jun 16, 2019
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Larwin(m): 5:26pm On Jun 16, 2019
Olatunji67POP:

Please consult me for your POP artworks and designs and you will NEVER regret you did. For superb works and affordable fees, I am at your service sirs and ma'am.

When ll you stop advertising here sad

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Biztech05(m): 6:03pm On Jun 16, 2019
verbena:

verbena:

The best approach for door installation
External doors (security doors) shld be installed before tiling .
And internal doors shld be after. But Frame or Sub Frame need to be installed before tilling.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ak22(m): 6:48pm On Jun 16, 2019
Olatunji67POP:

Where is your location?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ak22(m): 6:48pm On Jun 16, 2019
Olatunji67POP:

Where is your location?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rotecch77(m): 10:09pm On Jun 16, 2019
Olatunji67POP:

Gentleman how can you follow clients specification and work instruction when you fail to follow simple layed down instruction of this thread.
Are you the only one doing pop work here, i doubt your professionalism

6 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Olazzeedris(m): 10:58pm On Jun 16, 2019
@ Building collapse in ikorodu Lagos

Always give your work to a professional
mind you,
Building production belongs to Builder's
let everybody plays is rolls and stay on their field of specialization.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by olaleye2real(m): 10:22am On Jun 17, 2019
Am a plumber and we are going to give you quality job and affordable..
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 11:37am On Jun 17, 2019
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by b2212(m): 11:43am On Jun 17, 2019
Dear adanny01 i am a keen observer of your comments on nairaland from auto sections till i had the pleasure of seeing your comments here displaying your excellent knowledge. However, on this matter it seems the supplier knew the goods being supplied was at a variance(no matter how small) to what the customer to what the customer chose. Best practice which we should all aspire to is to disclose this and let the customer make a choice despite the risk of losing the deal. as it is, it seems the calculation was the customer will manage but there are a few people who ouldnt. also, to ensure a service culture grows in our business space we will need to allow the customer vent.

I have done business with chizagi though he would not know cos i just picked his contacts here and bought all my doors from him.
adanny01:

Can you quote me or give proof that i tried to silence the complainer. I said several times, he should not call it fraud because timhis doesnt qualify as fraud! The seller made costly mistakes which i agreed and pointed out, it may be a breach of trust but not criminal breach of trust or fraud for that matter.

I gave the blame to the supplier and asked the complainant to talk to the supplier to find a way to send the affected items back and correct the mistake. I have told the op, if he doesn't want them, send them back.

You are deliberately trying to put words in my mouth.

To add:

I asked for left swing you gave me right.swing
I asked for oak colour you gave me walnut colour
I asked for box pattern you gave me round pattern

How does this supply become fraud or crime. Its a simple wrong supply, return them and get the correct ones and the story ends.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by topsy23: 12:05pm On Jun 17, 2019
Weldone house
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Bruno85: 12:09pm On Jun 17, 2019
Experts in the house, my site is prone to termites and I want to put a POP, what are my options here? What precautions do I have to put in place or is it a no to use POP as it may be damaged by the termites or termites has no effect on POP.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by adanny01(m): 2:17pm On Jun 17, 2019
b2212:
Dear adanny01 i am a keen observer of your comments on nairaland from auto sections till i had the pleasure of seeing your comments here displaying your excellent knowledge. However, on this matter it seems the supplier knew the goods being supplied was at a variance(no matter how small) to what the customer to what the customer chose. Best practice which we should all aspire to is to disclose this and let the customer make a choice despite the risk of losing the deal. as it is, it seems the calculation was the customer will manage but there are a few people who ouldnt. also, to ensure a service culture grows in our business space we will need to allow the customer vent.

I have done business with chizagi though he would not know cos i just picked his contacts here and bought all my doors from him.

Thank you for the compliments.

It is absolutely correct that some dealers would intentionally supply you a variant of the same thing for reasons best known to them.

In this case, for supplying a right swing stainless steel door instead of a left swing even when the supplier had the building plan, i agree the seller made an error. Am unforgivable one at that. That the error is intentional or not is what i cannot prove and i would not assume that he supplied that door intentionally. It is wrong to assume that the seller did intentionally without knowing if he had in stock the left swing door or not. A case of fraud would have assumed the seller did intentionally.

For supplying dented doors, we still cannot assume it was intentional because the doors traveled from Lagos to Edo, they could have been damaged on transit. It is wrong to assume that the seller supplied damaged doors intentionally.

For supplying a wrong pattern or colour of doors, i also think it could be a misconception or miscommunication since it wasn't written on the invoice. When you show me a door sample and i said, yes i love this one, the problem is that i didnt see all the colours and all the patterns. The seller may have not paid attention to the particular colour or the particular pattern but has focused on the particular quality and spec since they all cost the same in that range. I have seen the seller mention Oak, it does happen that due to manufacturing, the shade of oak can be different to the sample or due to a picture the hue will be different to the eyes. There are several possibilities that we cannot also say 100% that the seller supplied the wrong pattern or colour intentionally.

Let me tell you my experiences, I wore a wrong colour of suit on my wedding day. I saw a black one in the boutique and asked him to bring grey for me, he delivered a brown suit 1 week to my wedding and it will take more than a week to get the right one. I have bought the same doors as op before but in my case, i was at the showroom physically. I requested for a right swing turkey door which i confirmed before loading on the vehicle. I bought also 8 panel doors with frames. When they were about to load, i proceeded to check. The 8 doors were the same product but they were 5 different patterns of which 2 were different colours which i rejected. They had to match my demands. The frames also had 3 wrong colours and they were all left swing. I corrected all that too. I bought a lot of tiles by viewing samples at the showroom and where loaded on to the truck from their ware house using the carton colour codes. When i got home, i discovered that my particular choice of kitchen tiles was exactly what i chose but it had 2 vertical lines that didn't exist on the sample. I had 1 whole carton of 6x6 tiles broken diagonally apart from the ones chipped at edges. Every other tile had several complete cartons broken due to the careless driver. On the bathroom floor tiles, i found 1 cartoon that was the same colour but had a no pattern. I found about 2 cartons with different colours. The 5 complete set WC I bought, 1 had a broken flushing mechanism.

The point is, even when i was physically there and made my choice, even double checked before it was loaded, i still had a few things wrong. I rejected some, I accepted some and replaced some (flush mechanism) besides having a lot of cartons of tiles broken on transit without calling the supplier a criminal or fraudstar.

I am not defending the seller nor castigating the buyer or either way, i am saying the transaction cannot be proven as fraud or criminal breach of trust. I am saying its a common error which happens intentionally and non intentionally. The best approach is to reject the wrong supply and manage the ones he can and then encourage the seller by means of subsidy if affordable without insisting on fraud and criminal breach of trust.

You have used the seller, by your experience, is he a criminal or a fraudstar? If you were defrauded by the seller then its even better, we can generally assume he is used to fraud.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Olazzeedris(m): 5:11pm On Jun 17, 2019
Bruno85:
Experts in the house, my site is prone to termites and I want to put a POP, what are my options here? What precautions do I have to put in place or is it a no to use POP as it may be damaged by the termites or termites has no effect on POP.

Case like this as severally discussed here some times ago.
That why always needs to engaged a professional to site . Because most precaution is at early stages of works. Which so call quacks we definitely omit .
But here are some post remedies : Fumigate all the frame works to the roofs with anti termites. (Soligan) but these can only make a reduction to defect but you continue these application for 3 to 4 times probably 6to 8mnths intervals. Probably they would be eradicate.
But you can try local application also.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Adaowerri111: 5:21pm On Jun 17, 2019
Good day builders in the house, Can casement windows be stolen after being installed?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 5:34pm On Jun 17, 2019
Bruno85:

I want to assume your roofing wood members were treated before placed.

You'll need to find the source of entry of the termites to be able to solve it.
But on a general level fumigate your entire site(every where internal and external) before you start installation of the POP.
You can repeat the process 3 months after installation again. Do same again when you intend moving into your house.

Ensure your site(inside the house and outside) is properly cleaned after each works is carried out on-site.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 5:38pm On Jun 17, 2019
Adaowerri111:
Good day builders in the house, Can casement windows be stolen after being installed?

Nothing is impossible.
Well it all depends on the kind of thieves in ones locality.
People have been known to steal electrical cables already run in pipes.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 5:57pm On Jun 17, 2019
Adaowerri111:
lol possible o .. I have seen where roof (Aluminium zinc) has been stolen before it depend on your area

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by temi4fash(m): 6:05pm On Jun 17, 2019
twinskenny:
lol possible o .. I have seen where roof (Aluminium zinc) has been stolen before it depend on your area

Jesus...

People dai vex oo
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Adaowerri111: 6:06pm On Jun 17, 2019
twinskenny:

Thanks a lot, but can it be done on a fenced compound
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Adaowerri111: 6:08pm On Jun 17, 2019
bixton:

Nothing is impossible.
Well it all depends on the kind of thieves in ones locality.
People have been known to steal electrical cables already run in pipes.

Will fencing and gating the compound help?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 6:25pm On Jun 17, 2019
Adaowerri111:

Will fencing and gating the compound help?

You can do that and still get a trusted person who can live in the house or security house.

(1) (2) (3) ... (1178) (1179) (1180) (1181) (1182) (1183) (1184) ... (3668) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: kelvin1191(m) and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.