Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,443 members, 7,823,034 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 10:04 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (1280) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4412923 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1277) (1278) (1279) (1280) (1281) (1282) (1283) ... (3670) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by jamalnation(m): 10:51pm On Dec 18, 2019
debeey87:
Good day gurus. I have the attached plan for building and have received the quotation below from the brick layer.

NEW QUOTATION

* MATERIALS
1. 3000 BLOCK@200 each _ #600,000

2. 2 double tipper of sharp sand @40,000 - #80,000

3. 1 double tipper of soft sand@32,000 - #32,000

4. 15 tons of granite@80,000 - #80,000

5. 80 bags of cement@2,550 each - #204,000

6. Tank - #45,000

7. Plank - #15,000

8. Water - #30,000

9. Transport - #7,000

TOTAL MATERIALS - #1,093,000

* WORKMANSHIP

1. Digging of foundation - #60,000

2. Casting of foundation - #65,000

3. Settings of blocks - #300,000

4. Casting of lintel - #100,000

TOTAL WORKMANSHIP - #525,000

TOTAL MATERIALS + TOTAL WORKMANSHIP - #1,618,000

Kindly help me scrutinize the area of the workmanship to know if it is reasonable enough and if some of the other items asides cement and block can be gotten cheaper.

Land location is behind Obasanjo farm in Ota ogun state.

lot of error
PM am a QS
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Olazzeedris(m): 12:26am On Dec 19, 2019
Takoro13:

Hi bros,
I prefer you tell us your opinion (if any) instead of the above. Yet I won't dispute your post bcs of it value sr. I must tell you I am not a practicing engineer/builder but keep on reading/following what people say/do on forum like here. I have read very well where 6" block moulding placed at 45 and I have this done on my site perfectly no single block was broked in the cause of setting it.

Oga Spyder post bellow can do me favor.

Thanks sr

Well the question Op asked initially is about laying of block 6" or 5" and it has been answered perfect and accurately by a professional personnel which you quote and answered wrongly.

Stay bless
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by St0ne: 12:44am On Dec 19, 2019
Hi all. Please i would like to have an idea or estimate of how much it would cost to build 5 single rooms self contain apartment in ogun state on a half plot of land

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Olazzeedris(m): 1:25am On Dec 19, 2019
St0ne:
Hi all. Please i would like to have an idea or estimate of how much it would cost to build 5 single rooms self contain apartment in ogun state on a half plot of land

Look onto 6m to 8m will do it depends on the standard you want!

Stay bless

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Bimpsyyyyy: 6:31am On Dec 19, 2019
St0ne:
Pm me on WhatsApp on 09069193297 am a qs

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Bimpsyyyyy: 6:33am On Dec 19, 2019
[quote author=sako28 post=84994730]Hello House,

Any one that render good Concrete stamp floor base in Port Harcourt.

Thank you
Sako[/quote
WhatsApp me on 09069193297
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Bimpsyyyyy: 6:36am On Dec 19, 2019
addexx:
GOOD DAY. PLEASE CAN SOMEONE GIVE ME ANALYSIS AND THE ESTIMATED COST OF COMPLETION OF THE INTERIOR OF A CUSTOM BUILT 4 BEDROOM DUPLEX
Pm me the details on WhatsApp am a qs on 09069193297
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rotex111(m): 5:52pm On Dec 19, 2019
An uncompleted two bedroom flat built on a plot of land in igoba first gate Akure. All necessary documents available. price; 1.5M, contact for details; 08067920313
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by davodyguy: 8:07pm On Dec 19, 2019
davodyguy:
Hello guys

Can I get an estimate for this from substructure to superstructure?

Land are is 9.25m *37m
Foot print of building is 29m*7m x 2 floors(Ground Floor and Upper floor)
Land is located in water logged area in Lagos, hence foundation needs to be solid and as high as 1 metre after the Natural Ground Level

Thanks
Hello guys.

Finally completed the soil test for this site today.

Machine reached it's final stop at exactly 28 metres deep into the sub structure. shocked

Location is around Ogudu Ori-oke

Like how much should be Budgeted for pile foundation?

Just a rough estimate and not the specific.
saydfact
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by debeey87(m): 8:51pm On Dec 19, 2019
rotecch77:

The 1st thing is that a bricklayer doesn’t permitted to handle building construction, that asides.

The quotation the said bricklayer gave you is twrong. ( although QS is the one to do this).

Error No1. The blocks is far below needed quantities for this project.
The qty is what we're starting with, we will buy more on demand

Error No2 The cement is far below the quantities needed also for this structure.
[/b]The qty is what we're starting with, we will buy more on demand.[b]

Error No3 No provision for over-site concrete ( German floor) according to your bricklayer quote. Who does that for a STORY BUILDING. Expect non professional.

Error No4 The quantities of the granite 15 tones for the whole building is to SMALL . This quantity Can not take you beyond foundation level.
let me stop here for now.

My conclusion and recommendations is this I will advise you to look for a professional BUILDER to handle this your project not because I’m a BUILDER , but to safe you from building error which can result to building collapse in nearest future (God forbid).

You can never regret any amounts of money you will spend ( but spend wisely) on this project if a professional handle it for you.

Thanks for your contribution. I wanted opinions on the prices quoted. I also know that the price quantity quoted for won't do the job but it's smtn to get the job started at least above foundation level
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by temi4fash(m): 8:52pm On Dec 19, 2019
We have a land but unfortunately the bricklayer that worked on it used up all the space so we want to adjust to foundation to fit into current realities.

The foundation has already been completed although no German floor has been done.

What should we be looking out for??
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by debeey87(m): 8:53pm On Dec 19, 2019
Thank you
beamNIGERIA:

First, the workmanship gives awhole lot of over-quoting concerns.

Cost of setting 3000 blocks is #150,000
Foundation excavation is reasonable at #35,000
Lintels, all the lintels on this plan is less than 2 cum of concrete.

I advise you seek the services of a QS or a CM at least, it's going to cost you professional fees but it's going save construction cost amongst other benefits
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by debeey87(m): 8:58pm On Dec 19, 2019
We're looking at more block only that we've not firmed up total number of blocks to be used.

How much is the max to lay 1block? And on a per day basis, what's the rate.
ak22:

Please is he going to set more block apart from the 3000 block? Because even though he set 80 block per day it we give us 3000/80=37.5* let Say by 5000 per 80 per day which is much = 187,500 so how come how come 300k?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ak22(m): 10:31pm On Dec 19, 2019
debeey87:
We're looking at more block only that we've not firmed up total number of blocks to be used.

How much is the max to lay 1block? And on a per day basis, what's the rate.

1 bag of cement will lay like 50/55 block of 6""
100 per if it is low level and 80 to high level .i think
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by boay(m): 12:22am On Dec 20, 2019
A General Advice

Bricklayers are not cost experts or engineers. They are not professionals. It is surprising how people commit millions of their hard-earned money to these artisans and end up getting their fingers burnt.

Avoid being penny wise and pound stupid. I have been involved in troubled projects just because the needful was not done initially. It is usually painful and more expensive in the long run. Do the right things today. Wishing you the best.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by boay(m): 12:32am On Dec 20, 2019
addexx:
GOOD DAY. PLEASE CAN SOMEONE GIVE ME ANALYSIS AND THE ESTIMATED COST OF COMPLETION OF THE INTERIOR OF A CUSTOM BUILT 4 BEDROOM DUPLEX

Interior design is broad and wide. You need to state the scope of yours to get something reasonable
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Abdullah36(m): 5:59am On Dec 20, 2019
Hi guys!
I want an idea of what a security beam is
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by addexx: 12:44pm On Dec 20, 2019
boay:

Interior design is broad and wide. You need to state the scope of yours to get something reasonable

I just want to know the minimum amount it would cost to get a decent finishing
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Olatunji67POP(m): 12:45pm On Dec 20, 2019
Please consult me for your POP artworks and designs and you will NEVER regret you did. For superb works and affordable fees, I am at your service sirs and ma'am. phone number:07062567817 or 08090945484
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by saydfact(m): 2:46pm On Dec 20, 2019
davodyguy:

Hello guys.

Finally completed the soil test for this site today.

Machine reached it's final stop at exactly 28 metres deep into the sub structure. shocked

Location is around Ogudu Ori-oke

Like how much should be Budgeted for pile foundation?

Just a rough estimate and not the specific.
saydfact

IF what you've been advised to use is pile foundation (IF), you'll need more than a rough estimate, you'll need a structural engineer doing a detailed design and a Q.S for cost advice based on that design.

Goodluck

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by davodyguy: 2:49pm On Dec 20, 2019
saydfact:

IF what you've been advised to use is pile foundation (IF), you'll need more than a rough estimate, you'll need a structural engineer doing a detailed design and a Q.S for cost advice based on that design.

Goodluck
Hi

When you say 'if'

Is there any other foundation that could have been recommended for a soil that porous?

I want to learn more on this
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by saydfact(m): 3:02pm On Dec 20, 2019
davodyguy:

Hi

When you say 'if'

Is there any other foundation that could have been recommended for a soil that porous?

I want to learn more on this

Its difficult for me to know, because I haven't visited the site or seen pics - for advice, study the houses around and the type of foundation used...

Another option is to STABILIZE the land if its that bad - then use RAFT foundation; to safe cost....

but IF the structural engineers says its PILE, I believe he knows best, follow is advice.

goodluck

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by davodyguy: 3:05pm On Dec 20, 2019
saydfact:

Its difficult for me to know, because I haven't visited the site or seen pics - for advice, study the houses around and the type of foundation used...

Another option is to STABILIZE the land if its that bad - then use RAFT foundation; to safe cost....

but IF the structural engineers says its PILE, I believe he knows best, follow is advice.

goodluck

I just want your advice based on experience.

We've done a study of the houses around, and more than half of them are already experiencing uneven settlement.

Those built using raft are worse off. Those built with pile up to 7metres deep are already settling badly too.

To save cost, that's what I'm thinking, but I fear for settlement
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Biztech05(m): 3:28pm On Dec 20, 2019
Abdullah36:
Hi guys!
I want an idea of what a security beam is

In order words it called
Hidden ( concealed ) Beam.
This is Cross Section Detail within the slab thickness. ( flat slab beams). It is usually placed around slab openings, inorder to reinforced and reduced large slab spans or where regular beam down-stand is not architecturally preferred.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by saydfact(m): 4:51pm On Dec 20, 2019
davodyguy:

I just want your advice based on experience.

We've done a study of the houses around, and more than half of them are already experiencing uneven settlement.

Those built using raft are worse off. Those built with pile up to 7metres deep are already settling badly too.

To save cost, that's what I'm thinking, but I fear for settlement

STABILIZE THE SOIL - It would take a about 6 - 1 year to achieve...... (based on experience) OR do a deep pile as you plan to.... (Note: I didn't suggest Pile was wrong, I'm only imagining if the land is that bad; since your replies suggest it is - do the needful)

Goodluck

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by davodyguy: 4:54pm On Dec 20, 2019
saydfact:

STABILIZE THE SOIL - It would take a about 6 - 1 year to achieve...... (based on experience) OR do a deep pile as you plan to.... (Note: I didn't suggest Pile was wrong, I'm only imagining if the land is that bad; since your replies suggest it is - do the needful)

Goodluck
Ok, thanks

Does solidifying work and prevent uneven settlement?

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by saydfact(m): 4:56pm On Dec 20, 2019
davodyguy:

Ok, thanks

Does solidifying work and prevent uneven settlement?

whats solidifying>> ? or you mean stabilizing>?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Abdullah36(m): 5:55pm On Dec 20, 2019
Biztech05:

In order words it called
Hidden ( concealed ) Beam.
This is Cross Section Detail within the slab thickness. ( flat slab beams). It is usually placed around slab openings, inorder to reinforced and reduced large slab spans or where regular beam down-stand is not architecturally preferred.

Thanks
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Biztech05(m): 6:00pm On Dec 20, 2019
Abdullah36:

Thanks

Thanks to God!
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by davodyguy: 6:28pm On Dec 20, 2019
saydfact:

whats solidifying>> ? or you mean stabilizing>?
Yes,

Stabilizing
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by klark3: 9:05pm On Dec 20, 2019
rotecch77:

Duplex foundation method is diff from bungalow.
The recommended depth for duplex is 1m depth or more depends on the nature of the soil for columns (not block) and all the imposed load will depends on the columns not the blocks as that of bungalow.

The block that will go inside the ground at times for duplex is btw 2-3 block which is ( 450-675) that is for block , other block like 2-3 will remain outside (above the ground level).

The column will hold the foundation firmly, but I do introduce beam on any block above 5 courses in most of my work.

Look at this pics (I introduce beam here after 5 courses)
Thanks for ur explanation sir
Does this foundation beam runs through all the walls, both internal & external? Or it is only external walls? Someone told me it is only on external walls. cc saydfact
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rotecch77(m): 10:05pm On Dec 20, 2019
klark3:

Thanks for ur explanation sir
Does this foundation beam runs through all the walls, both internal & external? Or it is only external walls? Someone told me it is only on external walls. cc saydfact

It’s depends on the depth of the each wall panel either external or internal ( but in most cases external only do required such)

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (1277) (1278) (1279) (1280) (1281) (1282) (1283) ... (3670) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.