Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,011 members, 7,817,979 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:29 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (1471) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4392221 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1468) (1469) (1470) (1471) (1472) (1473) (1474) ... (3667) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rotecch77(m): 3:37pm On Jul 19, 2020
Johntemmy:

opepe and mahogany are not in same class bro.
mahogany is quality than opepe. in a thousand ways.thanks.

If I said both wood are in same class I know what I means bcs so many things area involved
- durability
- resistance to fungi, termites etc
-many area of usage in construction work
- available
-cost
- fire resistance to certain time.
And many more.
if you do your research you will agree with me that both of them are in the same class.
Until you do your research with valid point then “Before i will agree with you that mahogany is far better than opepe 1000times as you quoted”
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by uncleteeh(m): 3:43pm On Jul 19, 2020
You've spoken well.
Though I hate it when people bring designs here for criticism, before an architect does a design for his/her client, he must have debriefed such client, advised and designed what suites the site.
We shouldn't be bothering ourselves on what has already been done.
For clients who bring designs here for criticism, it is not easy to get a precise design, most lands can not accommodate what some Clients want without tampering with other features.
None the less, let's all consult professionals in our dealings. It's importanta.

5 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by uncleteeh(m): 3:45pm On Jul 19, 2020
playces:
Good day gurus, in the process of doing oversite concrete (German floor), which comes first : DPM or Hardcore. It's a bungalow.
Awaiting ur responses
DPM is a feature embedded in German floor. hardcore comes first.
You may check the sections of your building drawings.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by uncleteeh(m): 3:47pm On Jul 19, 2020
Fistop:
What is the best structure to put up on a 50X100 plot of land?
This is just a plot. u can achieve a lot with it.
Bungalows with enough parking spaces and a sit-out, duplexes of various types. and so on.
If the land is located in a commercial area, you can use it for a mini shopping mall, shopping outlets.
If it is close to an higher institution, then build a fantastic hostel on it,
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by uncleteeh(m): 3:52pm On Jul 19, 2020
amosblisz:
Also is it advisable to build this period (raining season) or wait till it's October/November (dry season) to start building. My builder is saying I can start moulding blocks on the site for now and thereafter start with the foundation.
Is your builder a mason or a building technologist?
If he is the latter, go with his advice, he must be experienced enough to deal with it without jeopardizing his career or name.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by dejol88: 4:01pm On Jul 19, 2020
diordaves:

This is a highly personal design and I can guess so done to suit how YOU want to live or retire.

This is not a STANDARD design so critiquing the design is just academic as I don't know your personal life chances and circumstances.

However going academic, why two kitchens? This is one of the reasons I think this is a personal design. It is uncommon to have two kitchens or kitchenette in a home.

Now the Master bedroom downstairs? Another personal design probably future planning for old age (retirement) when climbing stairs up and down will be difficult. IF this is the case, why not build a superb bungalow instead. What's the point of having a glorious home and you can't access all areas for whatever reasons?

So it is a five bedroom duplex, but with seven toilets? I don't know. But I think we (Nigerians) are obsessed with toilets. Toilets, toilets everywhere at all coners. The danger of this is not to cross that fine line of wanting to create a warm home and end up creating a cold impersonal hotel suits.

Overall, for me the design has too many walls, too many tight conners leading to some dark spaces with little natural light. The flow could be better. But that's me talking with zero information about how you want to live and the things you have experienced in your journey through life. These are the things that influence how we design our homes. Our journey through life.

If you have asked to critique a rental property, the story would be different. But a personal home? All I can say is the design is very achievable structurally.

Thank you so much for your honest review, I appreciate.

Yes this is for personal use and obviously one would retire at some point. You were correct about putting the masters bedroom downstairs (deliberate)because as one ages comes with limitation as to physical energy.

For the dark areas due to design, I will make necessary adjustment.
Pls, let me know if you are an architect. Thanks

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Pompoms(f): 4:05pm On Jul 19, 2020
Pompoms:
@Dennis3D has confirmed you, sir.

And I'll also come back here with a positive feedback, I pray.

Good day, everyone.
I'm back with my feedback and it's 5 STARS for Adedward.
We had no physical meeting from start to finish but I got updates and pictures as the job progressed. He delivered a perfect job and right on time too.
Adedward (A & S Aluminium Company) is highly recommended.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Dennis3D(m): 4:16pm On Jul 19, 2020
Pompoms:

Good day, everyone.
We had no physical meeting from start to finish but I got updates and pictures as the job progressed. He delivered a perfect job and right on time too.

Good one. Am happy he did well for you.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by saydfact(m): 4:53pm On Jul 19, 2020
Ogborokiri:
do you have any plan or know who can do that I need it please

Everything is possible....
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Pascopele: 4:53pm On Jul 19, 2020
What's could be the cause of this?

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by saydfact(m): 4:59pm On Jul 19, 2020
uncleteeh:
You've spoken well.
Though I hate it when people bring designs here for criticism, before an architect does a design for his/her client, he must have debriefed such client, advised and designed what suites the site.
For clients who bring designs here for criticism, it is not easy to get a precise design, most lands can not accommodate what some Clients want without tampering with other features.
None the less, let's all consult professionals in our dealings. It's importanta.

I'm an Architect, part of our training in Sch was... If you want the best design, let as many people criticize it.... Your training teaches you to filter the best crits

LASTLY, I once did a design for a NLer, she asked to share it on NL.. I agreed.

After many criticism, even I admitted the design got better.

ALL CRITICS SHD JUST BE REASONABLE AND THE OP SHD KNOW WHICH TO PICK AND WHICH TO DISCARD

Thanks

12 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by saydfact(m): 5:06pm On Jul 19, 2020
playces:
Good day gurus, in the process of doing oversite concrete (German floor), which comes first : DPM or Hardcore. It's a bungalow.
Awaiting ur responses

Hardcore

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by SurveyorGeo: 5:57pm On Jul 19, 2020
Pompoms:

Good day, everyone.

Impressive! Adeward keep it up sir!

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by boay(m): 6:11pm On Jul 19, 2020
Happy Sunday everyone

Wishing you a fabulous week
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Mgbadike80: 6:33pm On Jul 19, 2020
please, does anybody know much about the condominium business in Nigeria? Do you think that building a block of three bedroom flats and selling each flat for fifteen million in a location where a plot of land is selling twenty five million would be a viable business model in Nigeria?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Ogborokiri(m): 7:22pm On Jul 19, 2020
saydfact:

Everything is possible....
please I need your assistance
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Johntemmy(m): 7:37pm On Jul 19, 2020
rotecch77:

If I said both wood are in same class I know what I means bcs so many things area involved
- durability
- resistance to fungi, termites etc
-many area of usage in construction work
- available
-cost
- fire resistance to certain time.
And many more.
if you do your research you will agree with me that both of them are in the same class.
Until you do your research with valid point then “Before i will agree with you that mahogany is far better than opepe 1000times as you quoted”

Bro.we are not here to argue hun just that I cant see yellow and you be telling me it's red that I won't voice out not cos of me alone tho but thousands or millions of people are here to learn or to be more enlighting about what they don't know..so something that I spent years to learn so I know what am saying opepe is not in category of itara talkeless of mahogany not even least ayunre haba....
your number one to three is out of point bro.
opepe ma n ku bi elubo ni..omo iya lohun ati seposobe..if you are a yoruba man you will understand that.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by saydfact(m): 7:43pm On Jul 19, 2020
Ogborokiri:
please I need your assistance

Tag me tomorrow... I'll send you a plan.. plan only ooh grin cool
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by topsy23: 7:58pm On Jul 19, 2020
For Your Electrical, Mechanical and HVAC design and installations,
You can visit our thread:

https://www.nairaland.com/1804476/complete-package-design-drawing-electrical

https://www.nairaland.com/1233943/contact-us-electrical-mechanical-plumbing/25

For original Cables
https://www.nairaland.com/2326721/nigerchin-kabelmetal-coleman-cables/14

Phone number 08033643191, 08051750560
whatsapp number : 08033643191

E-mail: atope23@live.co.uk, topselg.engineering@gmail.com

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Ratun(m): 8:15pm On Jul 19, 2020
In this tutorial I explain how to estimate the amount of cement and sand needed for laying certain amount of block. And also amount of cement and sand needed for plastering a certain area of wall.
An example was treated to the detail. The method discussed in this tutorial can be for estimation of any area of wall or amount of block.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_G09ziMmTM

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Ogborokiri(m): 8:41pm On Jul 19, 2020
saydfact:

Tag me tomorrow... I'll send you a plan.. plan only ooh grin cool
thanks man
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rotecch77(m): 9:29pm On Jul 19, 2020
Johntemmy:

Bro.we are not here to argue hun just that I cant see yellow and you be telling me it's red that I won't voice out not cos of me alone tho but thousands or millions of people are here to learn or to be more enlighting about what they don't know..so something that I spent years to learn so I know what am saying opepe is not in category of itara talkeless of mahogany not even least ayunre haba....
your number one to three is out of point bro.
opepe ma n ku bi elubo ni..omo iya lohun ati seposobe..if you are a yoruba man you will understand that.

You are still out of point, I mean valid point to buttress your claim
Thanks
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Johntemmy(m): 9:58pm On Jul 19, 2020
rotecch77:

You are still out of point, I mean valid point to buttress your claim
Thanks

I said your claim is opposite of mine so what points do you need again..shey with all those invalid points there..I like someone to learn and take to correction but in your case...see I don't have much time to argue bro.no homo one love.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by One4me: 11:55pm On Jul 19, 2020
uncleteeh:
You've spoken well.

Its never wrong to have a SECOND Opinion on anything!
There are things one Architect may miss, that another Architect or even an experienced home owner may notice and piint out.

But l can understand why you hate it... undecided grin

My opinion.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by One4me: 12:01am On Jul 20, 2020
saydfact:

I'm an Architect, part of our training in Sch was... If you want the best design, let as many people criticize it.... Your training teaches you to filter the best ctits

LASTLY, I once did a design for a NLer, she asked to share it on NL.. I agreed.

After many criticism, even I admitted the design got better.

ALL CRITICS SHD JUST BE REASONABLE AND THE OP SHD KNOW WHICH TO PICK AND WHICH TO DISCARD

Thanks

I just saw this, after l made my post!
You have done justice to it, as an Architect! kiss kiss

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 12:21am On Jul 20, 2020
dejol88:

Thank you so much for your honest review, I appreciate.

Yes this is for personal use and obviously one would retire at some point. You were correct about putting the masters bedroom downstairs (deliberate)because as one ages comes with limitation as to physical energy.

For the dark areas due to design, I will make necessary adjustment.
Pls, let me know if you are an architect. Thanks

I'm not an architect; just a homeowner.

Talking of dark areas and necessary adjustments. With the final product (the home) the LOBBY, STAIRWAY area will be dark. Do you know why? The FOYER. Now if you come in from the ENTRANCE PORCH, you have the Foyer wall facing you and then you turn left into the LIVING ROOM. To access the stairs, you now turn right and through the opening in the living room to the stairs. What is the purpose of the Foyer wall? Knock-off the Foyer wall and you will have light and air flooding into the lobby and stairways area with a nice flow and a sense of space around the Foyer area. Do away with the V CONV (vistors toilet) and make the Visitors bedroom (un)ensuit so visiting "visitors" and overnight "visitors" can use the toilet ensuited to the V. BEDROOM.

Now the LAUNDRY. The position of the laundry is creating one or two problems. To start with, the laundry deprives the MASTER BEDROOM cross ventilation - a second window. This is not good for a master room. Again you can access the laundry from either the lobby or through the kitchen SIT OUT. Why? What this has done together with the Kitchenette,is that you have FOUR external doors. Too many external doors is a high security risk. Two external doors in homes is the norm. Look at your budget for external doors alone. The average budget for external doors for like duplexes is 150k. That is about 120k for main entrance door and 30k for the kitchen external door. But with your design your external doors will set you back about 210K. This is avoidable.

I like the upstairs very much. For me, the bedroom with the BALCONY is the master bedroom but I will move the toilet to the STUDY so to have cross ventilation in the room and then push back the wall of the adjacent bedroom and use the BOOK SHELF area as the STUDY.

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Jomafuvwe: 2:16am On Jul 20, 2020
saydfact:

OK. Pls TAG me here on Monday incase I forget.
Good morning, you asked that I tag you on Monday for update regarding our earlier discussion. Thank you for your input
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Badgers14: 2:59am On Jul 20, 2020
dejol88:
My people, please help look at this plan and give your thoughts. Thanks

Just a home owner here not an architect.

The upstairs, looks good..

The ground floor, I see what you did there on the masters wing... like a presidential suit wing for the oga.. hmm.. very thought provoking.

Good luck in your project.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Biztech05(m): 4:54am On Jul 20, 2020
Happy new week house!

Biztech consult.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by DFAMEGUY11S(m): 5:19am On Jul 20, 2020
Good morning my people in the house
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by PrinceLat(m): 5:28am On Jul 20, 2020
Good day all,

Please can someone help me with the contact or place preferably in Lagos that I can spot weld a pack of NiCD batteries.

Thanks

(1) (2) (3) ... (1468) (1469) (1470) (1471) (1472) (1473) (1474) ... (3667) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.