Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,910 members, 7,835,045 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 02:09 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (1492) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4441440 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1489) (1490) (1491) (1492) (1493) (1494) (1495) ... (3678) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by qdlvy: 2:22am On Jul 31, 2020
Hello to everybody. Long time lurker here. Got a few questions - any reason as to why windows from build pictures I have seen here are very small?
Why are the roofs so tall? Any aesthetically pleasing alternatives to the ugly burglary proof iron bars?

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by General2COAS(m): 5:50am On Jul 31, 2020
Chekitaut:
3rd floor: 6 bars of 12mm is ok or 4 bars of 16mm
2nd floor: 8bars of 12mm

@Aventure
@abdulwastecx

These are confirmed structural engineer here.

Hello sir this is very wrong and unacceptable.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by uncleteeh(m): 6:02am On Jul 31, 2020
EiD Mubarak to our Muslim Brothers and Sisters. Oak Group wishes you greatness in this season.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by General2COAS(m): 6:02am On Jul 31, 2020
Chekitaut:
A weight of 12mm rebar of 12m is equal 10,656
While 16mm is 18.948

When dealing with steel in R.C.C , we take into account various factors of importance such as their structural, mechanical, chemical...... properties etc.
one of the structural properties include cross sectional area.

please see below my attached calc note.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Chekitaut: 6:47am On Jul 31, 2020
General2COAS:

When dealing with steel in R.C.C , we take into account various factors of importance such as their structural, mechanical, chemical...... properties etc.
one of the structural properties include cross sectional area.

please see below my attached calc note.
i gave 8rebars not 6 for 2nd floor give calculation for 8rebars, 113x8=904

Technically what will be put into consideration are aggregate, steelropes and numbers of Collums.

Note am speak from the angle of steel formation.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by femilambor007(m): 7:46am On Jul 31, 2020
Morning NLanders
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Shegman22(m): 8:00am On Jul 31, 2020
Chekitaut:
i gave 8rebars not 6 for 2nd floor give calculation for 8rebars, 113x8=904

Technically what will be put into consideration are aggregate, steelropes and numbers of Collums.

Note am speak from the angle of steel formation.
Educate us how u will achieve installing 8nos of 12mm into 225by225 column and you achieving a standard concrete cover
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Adedward(m): 8:08am On Jul 31, 2020
Gud morning all members here

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Chekitaut: 8:13am On Jul 31, 2020
Shegman22:
Educate us how u will achieve installing 8nos of 12mm into 225by225 column and you achieving a standard concrete cover
The no 3 pics explain formation of 8rebars

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Focusmind: 8:43am On Jul 31, 2020
qdlvy:
Hello to everybody. Long time lurker here. Got a few questions - any reason as to why windows from build pictures I have seen here are very small?
Why are the roofs so tall? Any aesthetically pleasing alternatives to the ugly burglary proof iron bars?

You can decide to use rectangular - horizontal windows instead of the tiny vertical commonly used here despite the fact that our weather is hot. The reason for the tiny windows are cost as the windows are billed based on the measurement.

I used 2600x1400 rectangular sliding windows for rooms and lesser measurements for other places.

As for the burglary, I use the normal white horizontal pipes. Maximum of 4 for downstairs windows and just two and one for upstairs. In my upstairs, I used single white iron pipe for toilet and some other smaller places. My burglary is just to protect my kids from falling from the windows and not for a thief. grin

I hate the crude and un aesthetically appealing burglaries use in Nigeria. It makes the windows looks crude. You will see a high rise building with burglary everywhere and I asked for what exactly. Will an armed rubber climb up to that length of building to steal.

If given way, I will do away with the burglary thing and leave my windows like that. Any thief that remembers me, I wll host him and offer him drink grin

See one of the large windows I did and it will carry only 3 straight white horizontal pipes that will align with the white window blinds that I will put so that when the window blinds are open, it will cover the white burglary pipe somehow. Also consider emergency exit when designing your burglary. You shouldn't just have the thief in mind when designing your window protector, consider also emergency situations on how to eject or exit the building.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by PuZZyNegro: 9:08am On Jul 31, 2020
Please, is it better to mold blocks now that we're in raining season.

Someone advised that I save money for water and start the block now.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Chekitaut: 9:23am On Jul 31, 2020
PuZZyNegro:
Please, is it better to mold blocks now that we're in raining season.

Someone advised that I save money for water and start the block now.
The same rain can reduce the strength of the blocks too. Little water is needed when producing after 8hrs more water is needed for curing when a Cement Rapid(R) is used, When a Cement Normal(N) next day water is required.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rexology: 10:05am On Jul 31, 2020
saydfact:

NA WA FOR UNA OOOH..... people shd respond to this kinda post more - but na the ones that require 'I am this or that, contact me @ 080.. ' una dey like.....

My advice would be to do all in close proximity - except you're doing CONCRETE CAST FACIAL (parapet) - but even I dont encourage concrete cast because of the weight and un-necessary expense...

I'll say, do precast or polystyrene but only when you're ready to roof...

Goodluck
Please what is polystyrene and how does it look? Is it better than doing aluminum parapet?, Is it more expensive than aluminum parapet?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Chekitaut: 11:07am On Jul 31, 2020
Rexology:

Please what is polystyrene and how does it look? Is it better than doing aluminum parapet?, Is it more expensive than aluminum parapet?
That white packaging material used for appliances in form of parapet shape but outer surface with be cemented to absorb painting.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Wyloutproperty: 11:15am On Jul 31, 2020
Our dear clients and prospective clients,
WYLOUT DESIGNS LIMITED / WYLOUTPROPERTYDEVELOPMENT is tested and trusted. We can arrange for you to visit our completed sites for inspection. We are a building construction, renovation, office fitout company.
Kindly check out our profiles.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Wylout: 11:17am On Jul 31, 2020
Our dear clients and prospective clients,
WYLOUT DESIGNS LIMITED / WYLOUTPROPERTYDEVELOPMENT is tested and trusted. We can arrange for you to visit our completed sites for inspection. We are a building construction, renovation, office fitout company.
Kindly check out our profiles.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by PuZZyNegro: 11:38am On Jul 31, 2020
Chekitaut:
The same rain can reduce the strength of the blocks too. Little water is needed when producing after 8hrs more water is needed for curing when a Cement Rapid(R) is used, When a Cement Normal(N) next day water is required.

Yeah, thank you.

What if someone is available to cover them when it starts raining. Is that an option

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Chekitaut: 11:45am On Jul 31, 2020
PuZZyNegro:

Yeah, thank you.

What if someone is available to cover them when it starts raining. Is that an option
Through the floor water will affect, overtime hand made block is not as good as vibrated block.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Bovijean: 12:34pm On Jul 31, 2020
I do POP designs
POP ceilings
Wall screeding
wall panels(skirting)
TV wall units.
Here is a reference picture and job done by me
PS:ref picture is the one with light
You can contact me on WhatsApp 08144621992

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Bovijean: 12:43pm On Jul 31, 2020
Wall units and wall panels
WhatsApp 08144621992

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 1:22pm On Jul 31, 2020
@ Ibadan these plasterers are doing a wonderful job

We are here for cctv and audio system..

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Badgers14: 1:40pm On Jul 31, 2020
Focusmind:

You can decide to use rectangular - horizontal windows instead of the tiny vertical commonly used here despite the fact that our weather is hot. The reason for the tiny windows are cost as the windows are billed based on the measurement.

I used 2600x1400 rectangular sliding windows for rooms and lesser measurements for other places.

As for the burglary, I use the normal white horizontal pipes. Maximum of 4 for downstairs windows and just two and one for upstairs. In my upstairs, I used single white iron pipe for toilet and some other smaller places. My burglary is just to protect my kids from falling from the windows and not for a thief. grin

I hate the crude and un aesthetically appealing burglaries use in Nigeria. It makes the windows looks crude. You will see a high rise building with burglary everywhere and I asked for what exactly. Will an armed rubber climb up to that length of building to steal.

If given way, I will do away with the burglary thing and leave my windows like that. Any thief that remembers me, I wll host him and offer him drink grin

See one of the large windows I did and it will carry only 3 straight white horizontal pipes that will align with the white window blinds that I will put so that when the window blinds are open, it will cover the white burglary pipe somehow. Also consider emergency exit when designing your burglary. You shouldn't just have the thief in mind when designing your window protector, consider also emergency situations on how to eject or exit the building .

Do you mind sharing how you were able to accomplish an accommodation for emergency situations on your window protectors.. do you have any pictures?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Abolarin91(m): 2:08pm On Jul 31, 2020
Storey building is not a project you should take with light hand or joke about, it very dangerous! To avoid future problem that might leads to collapse (which will cost you more than consulting professional), please consult structural engineer for analysis(if you have)
Jonecbosco:
Hello everyone, I need clarifications on these construction question for a 3 storey commercial building
1. Between 12 and 16mm rods, which is used in running the beams for the second slab
2. Can 12mm rod be used in running the pillars of the second and third floor?
Thank you
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Abolarin91(m): 2:23pm On Jul 31, 2020
This should be the effect of the paint.
Meanwhile, always buy your paint from paint company(don't give painter your money to buy it), I learnt this last week when we bought dulux paint from one of their depot. The painter beg I gave him the dulux container, I insist he tell me what he wants to use it for if he wants me to give him! Behold, he said he usually make paint so he will just use it as container(meaning he can sell to his client and lied he bought dulux paint "silk"wink. Beware
Person2person:

Refer to your structural design.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gbadexy(m): 2:31pm On Jul 31, 2020
Abolarin91:
This should be the effect of the paint.
Meanwhile, always buy your paint from paint company(don't give painter your money to buy it), I learnt this last week when we bought dulux paint from one of their depot. The painter beg I gave him the dulux container, I insist he tell me what he wants to use it for if he wants me to give him! Behold, he said he usually make paint so he will just use it as container(meaning he can sell to his client and lied he bought dulux paint "silk"wink. Beware
They buy dulux and all the big brand's container very high. So the painter just pour some budget grade paint in it and and pass it to the client as the brand or get someone to manually mix paint for them and use the container.
I've even seen painters get some popular brand's container freshly printed by those guys at mushin and you won't notice the printing from the real company's container.
Even some staff of the companies do side runs.
It's a win win situation. They are happy to pay for the brand's logo and the painter makes cool cash without the owner knowing the difference between it and a much lower produced grade paints.
Some say we are just marketing and so and so brands is the best but they won't even know the difference when applied for same quality not to talk of lower grade manufactured with hands and repackaged.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by GoodFaith: 2:33pm On Jul 31, 2020
gbadexy:

They buy dulux and all the big brand's container very high. So the painter just pour some budget grade paint in it and and pass it to the client as the brand or get someone to manually mix paint for them and use the container.
I've even seen painters get some popular brand's container freshly printed by those guys at mushin and you won't notice the printing from the real company's container.

Do you think the store will pass other paint as dulux?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gbadexy(m): 2:37pm On Jul 31, 2020
GoodFaith:

Depends on the store. But most times they don't go to store to get them. They just get the container and put another brand or locally produce and use it.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Abolarin91(m): 2:39pm On Jul 31, 2020
Those bricklayer can be a pain in the ass sometimes, they will always tell you "e no mean..." And if problem arise they keep silent. Only those who have experience those artisan problem will understand
saydfact:

Hi Evening.

1. 12mm has no business in a 3 storey building's beam - and EVEN 16mm might not be adequate - please seek professional advice

2. My brother, with this questions, it seems one bricklayer don dey give you bad advice - lol grin grin grin - you want make the structure collapse ni? even gate house column na 16mm oooooooh - talkless 3 storey.

Be guided pls.

Goodluck
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Abolarin91(m): 3:06pm On Jul 31, 2020
Lol grin
How many blocks will you cover when it started rainy heavily? I don't think its an ootiin
PuZZyNegro:

Yeah, thank you.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Abolarin91(m): 3:20pm On Jul 31, 2020
You can see how dubious we human being are! Why will I even pay for an artisan to get me materials!
Recently a client from nairaland requested for quotation on barb wire, I gave him quotation base on the real measurement of the materials(no reduction), the man said he have seen someone with 1/2 price of what I gave him, fortunate for him he gave me the guy's contact to speak with him. When I called him, I disguised as a customer and I ask him just two question while I put the phone on speaker, the man was supprised with what he heard on phone from the other guy. grin
gbadexy:

It's a win win situation. They are happy to pay for the brand's logo and the painter makes cool cash without the owner knowing the difference between it and a much lower produced grade paints.
Some say we are just marketing and so and so brands is the best but they won't even know the difference when applied for same quality not to talk of lower grade manufactured with hands and repackaged.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Abolarin91(m): 3:22pm On Jul 31, 2020
Staff from dulux can supply you container oo! Things are happening
GoodFaith:

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by omanzo02: 3:44pm On Jul 31, 2020
femilambor007:
Morning NLanders

Please what's the estimated to deck 3-bedroomflat.

And what are the things to watch out during the process.

Attached is the quotation given

Ese pupo

Do u mean 3 bedrooms set of flats?

(1) (2) (3) ... (1489) (1490) (1491) (1492) (1493) (1494) (1495) ... (3678) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.