Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,273 members, 7,836,228 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 11:48 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (1569) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4444954 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1566) (1567) (1568) (1569) (1570) (1571) (1572) ... (3679) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 4:21pm On Sep 04, 2020
Chekitaut:
Oh you don't know theyy do not like accurate loading... "U hear o fe wa ba oja je fun wa ni, e ma nje loadi e"

So bros the Egun nla of Ibadan... Ire ooo.

Yeah because you’re the only honest loader in the industry. I get it grin

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 4:42pm On Sep 04, 2020
Chekitaut:
Lagos, Ogun, Abuja, Edo, Rivers, Anambra... The Cabal in Ibadan Quarries are not accommodating. Let the. cabal maintain their terrain.

Stonedust going to Asaba now on my way. @ N190k for 30tons grin

Oga chekitaut, What can be done to make this better?

I don’t see myself paying 130k to lift materials of less than 60k.

I’m not mean. I just don’t see myself paying that much sha.

I believe there should be a better way to make the price cheaper.

#justasking

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 5:31pm On Sep 04, 2020
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Chekitaut: 5:47pm On Sep 04, 2020
EgunMogaji2:

Yeah because you’re the only honest loader in the industry. I get it grin

Egungun of our time, Granite in Ibadan is ₦3300-3500/ton
Dust is ₦1500-₦1700/ton

Within Ibadan 30tons transport is ₦45000-₦55000 depending on location.

Road expenses 3k-4k

Do the calculations
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Aventures(m): 6:00pm On Sep 04, 2020
EgunMogaji2:

I join you in rebuking those unfinished pillars. Actually I cast and bind any architect that’ll put pillars on any of my projects grin
LOL��

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by omanzo02: 6:06pm On Sep 04, 2020
mufutau55:

My brother... I thought I was the only one that hates those pillars that the bottom are not standing on anything but just postruding.
I had same sitiation on one of my project, I had to tell the bricklayers to put one extra courses of block as to make the pillars stand on a base that makes it levelled.
I hate those pillars without base. Lack of finishing.
Thanks.

Hajji M.
I find it very annoying that we are adopting a style and proud about something that look like a collapsing building with the foundation being eroded by erosion. grin

The first engineering idea about stand or pillar is to support and spread the load over a particular area, if a certain part of the pillar/stand is not fully resting on a solid firm base then it's only a part that carried the load which inturn diminished the strength of the pillars or stand, unless it's different in architecture which is not my field.
If the design is just a decorative pattern it still has to show the look and functioning of the building than looking like a collapsing building.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Chekitaut: 6:14pm On Sep 04, 2020
n3xt:

Oga chekitaut, What can be done to make this better?

I don’t see myself paying 130k to lift materials of less than 60k.

I’m not mean. I just don’t see myself paying that much sha.

I believe there should be a better way to make the price cheaper.

#justasking
Location i give you quote.

*Ijebu bucket design is 25ton max, only few have 30tons design bucket.

Note pics below is 26tons from Ijebu. For those that counts tyres. The industries required faithfulness you have to pay for it, its not cheap.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by omanzo02: 6:38pm On Sep 04, 2020
I have a general question house,
I hear the cost of labour for bricklayers and helpers for ground floor are different from first floor, what are the modalities involved for determining the cost of labour for first floor labour/work, and what percentage should the difference be?

Over to our honourable experts.

Thanks.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by dongc(m): 7:12pm On Sep 04, 2020
wait a sec stone going to Asaba from which state exactly ?

Chekitaut:
Lagos, Ogun, Abuja, Edo, Rivers, Anambra... The Cabal in Ibadan Quarries are not accommodating. Let the. cabal maintain their terrain.

Stonedust going to Asaba now on my way. @ N190k for 30tons grin

Abuja stonedust is N3,400/ton transport excluded.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Chekitaut: 7:16pm On Sep 04, 2020
dongc:
wait a sec stone going to Asaba from which state exactly ?

Edo State.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by earthrealm(m): 8:10pm On Sep 04, 2020
n3xt:

I bought my own from omo ibo in Alaba grin

He sold me my poker vibrator, pumping machine and many other tools of trade.

You can get from Bertola in Anthony, Lagos.

could you post a pic of the compactor, is it rated in tons?, or how are compactors rated?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 8:51pm On Sep 04, 2020
omanzo02:

I find it very annoying that we are adopting a style and proud about something that look like a collapsing building with the foundation being eroded by erosion. grin

The first engineering idea about stand or pillar is to support and spread the load over a particular area, if a certain part of the pillar/stand is not fully resting on a solid firm base then it's only a part that carried the load which inturn diminished the strength of the pillars or stand, unless it's different in architecture which is not my field.
If the design is just a decorative pattern it still has to show the look and functioning of the building than looking like a collapsing building.

Exactly... I agreed with you 1000%.

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Mjolnir: 9:05pm On Sep 04, 2020
n3xt:

If you think the cost of wood is too much, discuss with him about buying the materials yourself at your own preferred sawmill.

If he will climb up and come down, I think 80k is not too bad for a renovation job.

Here’s my piece of advice:

1. Negotiate with him and be upfront with him about your budget and projections.
2. Don’t assume it’ll be cheaper. Renovation is never cheap.
3. No builder has X-Ray vision when it comes to renovations. Brace up to spend more.

unfortunately the project is in the village, and am unable to get time off from work to do the running around, its the price of individual length of wood, am worried about. 400naira per meter, means 1200 for 12ft, abi 1600 naira, i thought wood is btw 300 to 500 naira per 12ft

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by temi4fash(m): 9:11pm On Sep 04, 2020
iguwagboe:
Granite 3 quarters 30 ton for cheap sale ...call 08036219469 now

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Enyinne(f): 9:30pm On Sep 04, 2020
Pls sir,I'm interested in this roofer guy as my project is nearing roofing level .My location is lagos . How can he give me quote if need be . Thanks for the good job ur doing .
n3xt:

grin grin

A lot have happened in the last 5 years.

Here’s the thing I tell the guys “This is a test. Do a good job and you’ll never have to beg for job again in your life. Be contented with whatever you’re paid.”

The guy can visit your project as soon as you’re ready.

Grow through what you go through.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by poseidonsaiz(m): 9:30pm On Sep 04, 2020
Egg laying concrete block machine, available on demand.

Contact us now.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by temi4fash(m): 9:31pm On Sep 04, 2020
Chekitaut:
Location i give you quote.
Transportation Cost:
From Abeokuta
Berger 80k
Ojota To Owode/Ogudu/Maryland 85k
Oshodi/Ikorodu 90k
Mile 2 95-100
Abule Ado/Iyana Iba/Okoko 110k
V.I to Lekki 110k
Lekki to Ajah 120k
Ajah to Ado/Shogotedo 125
Shogotedo to Eleko 130.

*From Ijebu:
Eleko 80k
Bogije 90k
Ajah 100k
Lekki 105k

*Ijebu bucket design is 25ton max, only few have 30tons design bucket.

Note pics below is 26tons from Ijebu. For those that counts tyres. The industries required faithfulness you have to pay for it, its not cheap.

Whats ijebu bucket design??
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by DaBogu: 9:34pm On Sep 04, 2020
Excuzeme:

Looking at your building, a few things are obvious:
- There is water/stream flowing nearby
- Your walls are wet, showing that the land is saturated with water
- Your land is swampy, looking at that picture
- Your building is not eqipped for the terrain challenges.

In a situation like yours, the foundation is the most important element and on this, you have not done well.
Anyone building near a stream or in a swamp should be prepared to spend on the foundation, using Granite, Stone Dust and enough Cement, for an appropriate type of Raft Foundation.
Infact, the cost of such foundation amounts to between 30-45% the cost of the whole building, depending on how many levels your building is going.
Again, the building needs a rich combination of Cement, not the weak type that falls apart under small stress
Again, you cant be economical with Iron and Concrete beams and Pillars. For example, you shoud have chained the Lintel all around, to lock the top of the building together with the bottom adn foundation, in one whole piece, making it difficult to experience sheers that can lead to cracks.

If you want to enjoy this building, l must say, most unfortunately, you might have to pull it down because the foundation is non-existent and whatever repairs and palliative you do on it, the problem will re-appear within three to five years maximum and you will end up spending much more money on repairs, over time and even with all that, you will still lose the building.

It is a bad building , as l look at it. Pulling it down and starting afressh is the best option though it looks costly rigth now.
Sorry about this but who helped you start this building? Does the person have any experience in building in swampy areas at all?
How much will you buy this building?

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Enyinne(f): 9:35pm On Sep 04, 2020
Your so much on point . Why does he believe that every sand supplier is cheating home owners while he dishes out the most expensive sand . I bought granite at 180k for 30tons and he was quoting 220k for same 30tons . Everyone should do their due diligence and buy from the right source
EgunMogaji2:

Here you go again Sir, you and this your always elaborate prices.

The world of materials handling doesn't revolve around only you. There are others in the game and maybe they are not charging exorbitantly. There's no way that you can know the price of materials all over the country.

Always with the same "quarry must be right next door to you".

To aspiring builders, Chekiaut price is what he listed. You can handily beat that price so just use it as a general guide.

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by boay(m): 9:37pm On Sep 04, 2020
adanny01:

Technically, they are closely related but not the same.

Quantity surveying is mostly related to building but cost engineering relates to engineering projects such as Petroleum Refinery, cement factory, Power generation station, substation or transmission line, ship building, tunnel construction, space ship etc.

QS calls their output Bill of Quantities BOQ
Cost Engineer calls their output Bill of Engineering Measurement BEME

What they do is the same but the scope is different.

I disagree sir. UK used QS while most other Western countries used Cost Engineering. Quantity Surveying originated from the UK. Some countries even call it Construction Economics.

@ the bolded, you can go online and read about BOQ and BEME, no country in the world used the word BEME, it is peculiar to Nigeria. It was coined by Nigerian Engineers trying to usurp the place of QS in Civil and Heavy Engineering projects.

Whether building, civil or heavy engineering works, it is Bills of Quantities. The matter was debated at the National Assembly some years ago.

BOQ= Bills of Quantities
BEME= Bills of Engineering Measurement and Evaluation

BOQ is the only recognized document for its purpose in all countries of the world. Efforts are underway to rid Nigeria of BEME.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by boay(m): 9:39pm On Sep 04, 2020
adanny01:

If it were Luminoux International Construction Ltd, you must need an Engineer. Also, your company business as registered with CAC cannot be construction.

Most people register as general contractor.

Well, I know what I incorporated. I made enquiries from people working with CAC and I was told it is no longer a requirement.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 9:44pm On Sep 04, 2020
Enyinne:
Pls sir,I'm interested in this roofer guy as my project is nearing roofing level .My location is lagos . How can he give me quote if need be . Thanks for the good job ur doing .

He’s Lagos based. You can get in touch with him. The only guarantee I can give you is you’ll be proud of the quality of your job.

I’ve seen roofers and I can tell you he’s exceptional. He can also work with your carpenter if you already have one.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by DaBogu: 9:45pm On Sep 04, 2020
diordaves:

I don't think it's the foundation as suggested by some. The problem is obviously the lintel. The lintel failed at that point.

Solution: join the balcony lintel with the window lintel or cast a column at that point between the balcony lintel and the window lintel. It's not a big problem.

Don't fall for over diagnosis and make a mole out of an ant hill and then waste so much money for nothing. It is a bungalow. For a bungalow, your foundation should be adequate for the most situation. If the crack is ONLY the point you showed, your foundation is fine.

What probably happened is during natural settlement. ALL built (foundation) settle evenly after a certain time. But with your project, the during the settlement, that point failed because of the block quality and block joint work between the balcony and the window.

Lintel is very important in a building. Badly done, you will experience crack. Not all cracks are foundation caused. More cracks are caused by poor lintel than by foundation. I've noticed in Nigeria we tend not to be aware of the importance of lintel work.
Are you in Lagos? If yes, I had like us to pay a visit to the property if you don't mind and if should be sold, how much do you think it should go for?

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by QSFemi(m): 9:46pm On Sep 04, 2020
Good evening friend.

Here's my recommendation based on a 1.20metres high Kingpost, given that it's a small building.

0.45mm or 0.55mm gauge long span aluminum, including eaves and fascia covering = 242 square metres.

The roof members are;

A) Wall plate, 75mm x 100mm x 3600mm hardwood (3' x 4' x 12"wink = 15 pieces.

B) Tie Beam, 50mm x 150mm x 3600mm hardwood (2'x 6' x 12"wink = 27 pieces

C) Rafter, 50mm x 100mm x 3600mm hardwood (2' x 4' x 12"wink = 38 pieces

D) Struts, 50mm x 100mm x 3600mm hardwood (2' x 4' x 12"wink = 17 pieces

E) Purlin, 50mm x 75mm x 3600mm hardwood (2' x 3' x 12"wink = 69 pieces

F) Noggin, 1200mm centre to centre, 50mm x 50mm x 3600mm hardwood (2' x 2' x 12"wink = 93 pieces.

You can easily get the price of these items in your location as price of items are currently fluctuating now.

Thanks.

Kimiwa:

Good day Sir. I hope you still have me and my request in mind. I'm counting on you. Thanks.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Chekitaut: 9:57pm On Sep 04, 2020
temi4fash:

Whats ijebu bucket design??
Most 25tons load capacity.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Chekitaut: 10:03pm On Sep 04, 2020
Enyinne:
Your so much on point . Why does he believe that every sand supplier is cheating home owners while he dishes out the most expensive sand . I bought granite at 180k for 30tons and he was quoting 220k for same 30tons . Everyone should do their due diligence and buy from the right source
One of the reason you said we... kontinu

My Quote, when she asked in March i gave her 175k buy 60tins get 15tons free.

June price change to This
Granite 3200x30tons=96k
Transportation =120k
Tollgate & Revenue=4k

I bet any reasonable supplier to contest this.

Sand i gave her 70k for 30tons after raft foundation
My price
Sand13tons @33k+7ton @22k=55k(No chines truck carry up to this) but because if i am her terrain i will quickly deliver & leave i charged transpotation 15k making it 70k.

I beg ooo supplier in the house where have i done her wrong ooo. My granpapa no settle for Lagos say make me the grand child come build your house now...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mrsteel: 10:11pm On Sep 04, 2020
n3xt:

In this case, the project owner was adamant. I advised him to put blocks during the laying of the interlocking stones but he said he see no reason to add extra course to make it level.

It’s sad when you see people complain about little things that makes a very big difference on a project. This is a project of over N200 million shocked and just less than 40 pieces of 9in blocks to fill up the void is messing it up.

Nothing is messing the building up!
We all have distinct aesthetic preferences as individuals. Because an art design does not please few individuals doesn't mean it has ruined a building! It is just individual preferences. Same way some individuals prefer high roof to low roof & vice versa. It is just an artistic design & has no bearing on the structural integrity of those columns.

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 10:17pm On Sep 04, 2020
QSFemi:
Good evening friend.

Here's my recommendation based on a 1.20metres high Kingpost, given that it's a small building.

0.45mm or 0.55mm gauge long span aluminum, including eaves and fascia covering = 242 square metres.

The roof members are;

A) Wall plate, 75mm x 100mm x 3600mm hardwood (3' x 4' x 12"wink = 15 pieces.

B) Tie Beam, 50mm x 150mm x 3600mm hardwood (2'x 6' x 12"wink = 27 pieces

C) Rafter, 50mm x 100mm x 3600mm hardwood (2' x 4' x 12"wink = 38 pieces

D) Struts, 50mm x 100mm x 3600mm hardwood (2' x 4' x 12"wink = 17 pieces

E) Purlin, 50mm x 75mm x 3600mm hardwood (2' x 3' x 12"wink = 69 pieces

F) Noggin, 1200mm centre to centre, 50mm x 50mm x 3600mm hardwood (2' x 2' x 12"wink = 93 pieces.

You can easily get the price of these items in your location as price of items are currently fluctuating now.

Thanks.

@kimiwa a QS that know his job has spoken. I go with his submission.

...given that it’s a small building.

I am actually waiting to read other responses and see what their recommended kingpost will be.

Note: Your kingpost is measured from the roof beam.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 10:20pm On Sep 04, 2020
mrsteel:

Nothing is messing the building up!
We all have distinct aesthetic preferences as individuals. Because an art design does not please few individuals doesn't mean it has ruined a building! It is just individual preferences. Same way some individuals prefer high roof to low roof & vice versa. It is just an artistic design & has no bearing on the structural integrity of those columns.

Of course! But it shouldn’t have been left that way.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mrsteel: 10:25pm On Sep 04, 2020
n3xt:

Of course! But it shouldn’t have been left that way.
If It's cool with the owner of the structure, it is very fine. So long it doesn't compromise the structural integrity of the building.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 10:55pm On Sep 04, 2020
mrsteel:

If It's cool with the owner of the structure, it is very fine. So long it doesn't compromise the structural integrity of the building.

He’s fine with it. The ornamental guy was just looking for ways to cut corners by casting smaller base in the exposed areas.

He did a very good job at the front.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by RockOfAgesAlumi(m): 11:22pm On Sep 04, 2020
Enquiry for your own project today
Aluminium window Call Or whatsApp
Thanks

(1) (2) (3) ... (1566) (1567) (1568) (1569) (1570) (1571) (1572) ... (3679) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.