Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,432 members, 7,836,734 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 12:03 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (1683) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4446637 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1680) (1681) (1682) (1683) (1684) (1685) (1686) ... (3679) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kingzsoul: 7:55pm On Oct 10, 2020
No i dont.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kingzsoul: 8:01pm On Oct 10, 2020
n3xt:

I’m sorry for asking too many questions. Do you have picture of the land?
No i dont
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 8:19pm On Oct 10, 2020
kingzsoul:

No i dont

Set aside N2m for a 4-Board 2 Bed Raft foundation. That figure should conveniently take care of a 120sqm building footprint.

The cost covers all groundworks to DPC
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Focusmind: 8:46pm On Oct 10, 2020
davodyguy:
Hello guys.

Just completed window installation and going to plastering.

Like what cost would be reasonable for plastering this as regard Labour?

Someone said 300 bags of cement, but I've 100 bags in the store already, 2 now of 30 tons plastering sand already purchased. Just Labour cost and Labourers yet to be settled

Length of building is 30m
Breadth is 7m

Height is 7m

Hmmm, first time seeing a house that looks like mine. Same length on a half plot and same monopitch (shade) roof design.

I used about 370bags, 2X30 tones and 1X20 tones all of plastering sand. Labour was 650k all round, including plastering of the decking of ground floor except the living room as I didn't intend putting POP on the ground floor ceiling except the living room. Money no dey bro embarassed

Setting up of Scaffolding was about 30k as I already had my bamboo. I did the plastering early January last year and I haven't done anything on the building this year as money no dey. Even the new large windows I bought are yet to be dressed. This year bad gaan sad

5 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by davodyguy: 8:58pm On Oct 10, 2020
Focusmind:

Hmmm, first time seeing a house that looks like mine. Same length on a half plot and same monopitch (shade) roof design.

I used about 370bags, 2X30 tones and 1X20 tones all of plastering sand. Labour was 650k all round, including plastering of the decking of ground floor except the living room as I didn't intend putting POP on the ground floor ceiling except the living room. Money no dey bro embarassed

Setting up of Scaffolding was about 30k as I already had my bamboo. I did the plastering early January last year and I haven't done anything on the building this year as money no dey. Even the new large windows I bought are yet to be dressed. This year bad gaan sad
It is well.

Once there's vaccine for COVID-19, things should get better.

The carpenter first billed me ₦150,000 to set up scaffolding. I asked him again: Baba sey ₦150 or 150k? Cos I was upset.

I think I ended up paying him ₦50,000.

The ₦650,000 isn't bad. But with the economic condition now and Labourers hardly getting jobs as they're pre COVID-19, I should be able to get it lesser, my thoughts though.

I intend starting on Monday, 12th October with external part First.

I ordered finishing materials, which are yet to arrive Nigeria, since June that includes Kitchen hood, table top Gas stove, lightings and switches, Distribution Boards etc. Hence, we can't do internal plastering for now
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Focusmind: 9:06pm On Oct 10, 2020
davodyguy:

It is well.

The carpenter first billed me ₦150,000 to set up scaffolding. I asked him again: Baba sey ₦150 or 150k? Cos I was upset.

The ₦650,000 isn't bad. But with the economic condition now and Labourers hardly getting jobs as they're pre COVID-19, I should be able to get it lesser, my thoughts though.

I ordered finishing materials, which are yet to arrive Nigeria, since June that includes Kitchen hood, table top Gas stove, lightings and switches, Distribution Boards etc. Hence, we can't do internal plastering for now

You will get labour cheaper these days. They are all begging for jobs now. I used the guys from Togo to do the plastering. Dem sabi waste cement sha but I liked the thickness of the plaster.

Your build is just the same as mine in shape, design and length except the front pillar. There is no pillar on mine. When my wife first saw my building, she said the thing looks like a hall grin.

Me I no send as I chose the design. It is long as I have additional 2 bedroom duplex attached to the main house.

All the best.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 9:11pm On Oct 10, 2020
bixton:

There are addictives that will aid the curing process and you'll still achieve a better result.

Technology is the way.

Also is proper scheduling of the correct artisans on site.

My current crew of masons prefers to sleep on site and they work sometimes till early hours of the morning including Sunday’s. In the past I’ve had crews that maintain banking hours grin

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Unibenfucker(m): 9:20pm On Oct 10, 2020
michlins:
Make una come buy my Nigeria made steel doors. It's beautiful, strong and yet e no dey tear pocket. Na shikini money

How much is each
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by michlins(m): 9:30pm On Oct 10, 2020
Unibenfucker:

How much is each
#20,000 pere oh. Like I said, it's shikini money

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Muyi002(m): 9:31pm On Oct 10, 2020
JustCryptos:

Can you share your insight on this? I was told 23k for these doors - American panel. This against PVC doors for the interior of the house, which do you recommend?

Note: Na kobo kobo project.

Please which door is PVC door
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 9:43pm On Oct 10, 2020
n3xt:

Hmmm! This is valid but...

In as much as the industry do not care so much about enforcing best practices and investors/homeowners do not have x-ray vision to know the difference between a versatile and a cowboy engineer-contractor. I think it’s safe to say construction work shouldn’t be rushed

Why?

The following are loads acting on the beams/slabs:

1. Self weight
2. Construction load
3. Weight of upper floor (from props)

For most developers, they play with spans of the slab to achieve fast projects (that’s why you see them build compact houses). When the span get larger, the self weight portion will start governing and this will require higher number of days of propping for the concrete to achieve maximum strength.

Propping might fix slabs and other horizontal structural members but what happens to the most victimized vertical member (the column) if it did not attain maximum strength before imposing loads.
Improper curing is one of the major reasons for concrete failures in columns, beams, slabs and a major cause of visible cracks in most house.

So instead of making people to assume it’s safe to build a house within 30 days, I think professional builders should caution homeowners and investors who want to tow that path to allow more time for their project.

______
LASBCA/LSMTL cares so much about cube tests which is fine but doesn’t guarantee safe construction if the builder failed to consider the significance of concrete curing for the durability of the structure.

______
Unfortunately all the association and bodies that are supposed to enforce best practices only care about generating revenue from stamping and affixing seals on drawings. They don’t care about what happen on project site. ARCON, COREN, NIOB, NIA, etc.

Yet we blame SARS grin

As regards the bold 1 for effective curing the form work holding the columns needs still be intact with appropriate bracket/braces holding it at intervals/sections.

With regards to bold 2&3....I think it would not be fair to generalize that improper curing is a major reason/cause.................I believe for failure or cracks to appear on concrete it takes about 3 other elements to be of low quality/standard being used before such will occur.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by JustCryptos: 9:49pm On Oct 10, 2020
Muyi002:

Please which door is PVC door
My brother, I think it is made of plastic. I am sure I'll be using them for my toilets but still undecided on other interior doors.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 9:54pm On Oct 10, 2020
EgunMogaji2:

Technology is the way.

Also is proper scheduling of the correct artisans on site.

My current crew of masons prefers to sleep on site and they work sometimes till early hours of the morning including Sunday’s. In the past I’ve had crews that maintain banking hours grin

Bold 1 is the way to go.
Bold 2 a touch of project management.
Bold 3 as long as they have sufficient rest/sleeping time I can allow that. As a person i'm good with 3 hours of sleep/day.

I have 2 masons who resume work to site by 6am-5pm especially when there's block work to be done at the site.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 10:02pm On Oct 10, 2020
davodyguy:

It is well.

There's an existing vaccine of the bold already in Nigeria but most of us are waiting for WHO vaccine. Covid-19 is just an extra illness that affects aged people having symptoms of other underlying diseases.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by topsy23: 10:08pm On Oct 10, 2020
davodyguy:
Hello guys.

Just completed window installation and going to plastering.

Like what cost would be reasonable for plastering this as regard Labour?

Someone said 300 bags of cement, but I've 100 bags in the store already, 2 now of 30 tons plastering sand already purchased. Just Labour cost and Labourers yet to be settled

Length of building is 30m
Breadth is 7m

Height is 7m

Electrical, Plumbing and AC first fix must be done before plastering .

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by topsy23: 10:13pm On Oct 10, 2020
davodyguy:

It is well.

Pls remember that Nigeria is using 220-240V when your are ordering electrical equipment from abroad. If you buy 110V that means you will spend additional money in buying step down transformer in order to use them

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 10:26pm On Oct 10, 2020
kingzsoul:
Good evening house. I asked about how possible will 1million fly for raft foundation for a 2bedroom apartment with a penthouse. but got a very few response. I've increased my budget to 1.5m. Please can it still fly?

It would be better to take a look at the design plan before one can give a quote.
But since we're basing our decision on budgets, add an extra #300 to your upgrade just to be safe.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 12:52am On Oct 11, 2020
bixton:

As regards the bold 1 for effective curing the form work holding the columns needs still be intact with appropriate bracket/braces holding it at intervals/sections.

With regards to bold 2&3.... I think it would not be fair to generalize that improper curing is a major reason/cause.................I believe for failure or cracks to appear on concrete it takes about 3 other elements to be of low quality/standard being used before such will occur.

Hmmm! grin Here’s my statement again “Improper curing is one of the major reasons for concrete failures in columns, beams, slabs ...”
That’s not generalization. It’s actually one of the major reasons.

Here’s what I’ve recently observed in the field of construction, especially the unregulated ones like we have in Nigeria which is why I made mention of all the Construction/Building Regulatory Bodies in my earlier post, things largely defers from what should be done and what is being done generally. So my answer would infer from what should be done (acceptable standard) and the best practices.

In a standard construction, how many days should it actually take to cast slab after column?

The answer for it is “the concrete should only be subjected to loading after 28 days or it attains its full strength.”

So if we are to keep formwork intact for 28 days while awaiting the concrete to attain its full strength, how then can we deliver a fully furnished house within 30 - 45 days? Crazy scheduling, I guess!

Beams, girders, or slabs supported by columns or walls shall not be cast or erected until concrete in the vertical support members is no longer plastic.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by DFAMEGUY11S(m): 4:16am On Oct 11, 2020
Your quality spanish, italy , china and Nigeria tile, jacuzzi, Executive toilet seat and Cabinet , power shower , shower pole , steam and tap here with affordable price

https://www.nairaland.com/5349601/pick-quality-wall-floor-tiles

https://www.nairaland.com/5349336/executive-toilet-seat-showroom-close

https://www.nairaland.com/5354311/flooring-house-pvc-water-fire

https:///2347087953771

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Johntemmy(m): 6:29am On Oct 11, 2020
Happy Sunday.

contact us for your roofing woods, woodwork and materials.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 7:39am On Oct 11, 2020
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 7:46am On Oct 11, 2020
n3xt:

Hmmm! grin Here’s my statement again “Improper curing is one of the major reasons for concrete failures in columns, beams, slabs ...”
That’s not generalization. It’s actually one of the major reasons.

Here’s what I’ve recently observed in the field of construction, especially the unregulated ones like we have in Nigeria which is why I made mention of all the Construction/Building Regulatory Bodies in my earlier post, things largely defers from what should be done and what is being done generally. So my answer would infer from what should be done (acceptable standard) and the best practices.

In a standard construction, how many days should it actually take to cast slab after column?

The answer for it is “the concrete should only be subjected to loading after 28 days or it attains its full strength.”

So if we are to keep formwork intact for 28 days while awaiting the concrete to attain its full strength, how then can we deliver a fully furnished house within 30 - 45 days? Crazy scheduling, I guess!

Beams, girders, or slabs supported by columns or walls shall not be cast or erected until concrete in the vertical support members is no longer plastic.

Crazy Scheduling........Indeed.
We are thankful that while trying to meet client's needs within this 30-45 days project in an unregulated industry the job being done is within the acceptable limits for habitation by man. grin grin

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Abudu2000(m): 8:38am On Oct 11, 2020
bixton:

There are addictives that will aid the curing process and you'll still achieve a better result.
shut up there, don't u ever try to undercut curing process. I sound angry but i had to coz curing has resulted in so many dealths and its still causing more because many want to by pass the process by maybe increasing the mix ratio

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rotecch77(m): 8:47am On Oct 11, 2020
saydfact:

lol

Please don't ask this question outside oooh..

THIS IS THE STANDARD WAY OF CONSTRUCTION (also the standard way BOQ is arranged)..

Na money dey make man lay block b4 beams ooh..

Both systems are standard way in building construction, only that high rise building adopted frame structure most.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by shortgun(m): 9:10am On Oct 11, 2020
As common as Concrete is these days we should not forget that Concrete is a chemical compound.
This is why you have mixing ratios and other conditions.
Every chemical reaction have a time for the reaction to complete

If you disrupt the time to complete any chemical reaction you will never get the best results.
The Curing time for concrete is the time for reaction to complete.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 10:18am On Oct 11, 2020
Concrete curing is a chemical process. This process can be accelerated within acceptable safe reasons by taking various steps such as covering the mix or adding additives to the mix.

This is a FACT. Many hold a super computer in the palm of their hands but don’t use it.

Everything needs to be done by calculations and hence why we have structural and other specific types of engineers in the construction field.

This reminds me of a conversation I had during a tour inside Hoover Dam in Las Vegas. We were told that they poured concrete 24 hours a day. When I specifically asked about curing time I was told by the tour lead that accelerants were added to the mix.

I did not quote anyone please don’t quote me as I’m not feeling well due to Sunday’s fasting embarassed

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by omanzo02: 11:46am On Oct 11, 2020
bixton:

There's an existing vaccine of the bold already in Nigeria but most of us are waiting for WHO vaccine. Covid-19 is just an extra illness that affects aged people having symptoms of other underlying diseases.

It's obvious you are ignorant to what vaccine is and the safety procedures it goes through before approval for safe use,.... Nigeria don't have the laboratory to certify vaccines nor develop an ingredient to make one.
You haven't seen a covid-19 patient, so that assertion and assumption is complete rubbish.
Grafic curve shows infections in age groups.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by AngelicBeing: 12:38pm On Oct 11, 2020
EgunMogaji2:
Concrete curing is a chemical process. This process can be accelerated within acceptable safe reasons by taking various steps such as covering the mix or adding additives to the mix.

This is a FACT. Many hold a super computer in the palm of their hands by don’t use it.

Everything needs to be done by calculations and hence why we have structural and other specific types of engineers in the construction field.

This reminds me of a conversation I had during a tour inside Hoover Dam in Las Vegas. We were told that they poured concrete 24 hours a day. When I specifically asked about curing time I was told by the tour lead that accelerants were added to the mix.

I did not quote anyone please don’t quote me as I’m not feeling well due to Sunday’s fasting embarassed
l will quote you because I don't have a dog in this fight grin

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 12:41pm On Oct 11, 2020
On the lords day cheesy

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 12:46pm On Oct 11, 2020
AngelicBeing:
l will quote you because I don't have a dog in this fight grin

Maximus says that on behalf of Dobermans, he takes offense to your use of using fight and dog in the same sentence cool

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by AngelicBeing: 12:48pm On Oct 11, 2020
EgunMogaji2:

Maximus says that on behalf of Dobermans, he takes offense to your use of using fight and dog in the same sentence cool
Hian shocked

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (1680) (1681) (1682) (1683) (1684) (1685) (1686) ... (3679) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: ChybuzzDD(m), Inception(m) and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.