Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,964 members, 7,828,428 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 09:33 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (1686) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4427308 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1683) (1684) (1685) (1686) (1687) (1688) (1689) ... (3674) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 9:05pm On Oct 11, 2020
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 9:06pm On Oct 11, 2020
vickzie:
how do you motorize a gate of 6-8 flats apartment building and every tenant having a remote, can the motor remote be duplicated like we duplicate car keys? and if possible, how do the landlord ensure that it's only the tenants that have access to the remote ( ie friends of tenants not having access to the remote)

Nova Remote is just 7k or maybe 10k now.

I don’t understand the bolder part. Although, the system can be programmed.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by smallsmall: 9:13pm On Oct 11, 2020
vickzie:
how do you motorize a gate of 6-8 flats apartment building and every tenant having a remote, can the motor remote be duplicated like we duplicate car keys? and if possible, how do the landlord ensure that it's only the tenants that have access to the remote ( ie friends of tenants not having access to the remote)

It does not have to use remote control, some have a sensor that is installed in each resident's car and would open the gate for such car automatically.
Some use a Wall-mount 4-Code Devide, that only the Tenants know, to open the gate.
I have seen it done in some HighRise Buildings with over 20 Flats each, so l know it can be done.

Why would you give your own remote to your friend, compromising the safety of the whole compound?
Everybody has a parking spot and residents cars have stickers, anything apart from that, you get clamped.

#NotABibeli and I am having stomach ache right now so please dont quote me.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by davodyguy: 9:23pm On Oct 11, 2020
edoman2016:
Enforcement of the service charge law on estate developers will be difficult because most residents already sign to pay service charge in their deed of agreement after land purchase.
That court judgement doesn't apply to private estates like Northern Foreshore, Friends Colony etc. Before you buy a land or a house in those estates, the agreement states that you must pay service charge for extra services like security, cleaning of common areas, water etc.

The judgement is applicable to CDA. Eg a street decides to put gate at the entrance, build security house house, employ security and cleaners, form a CDA and then compel residents to start paying levies.

I for one, encourage people to pay their taxes and also pay for additional services or facilities they benefit from, but I'm against the overzealous use of force in demanding payment

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 9:30pm On Oct 11, 2020
smallsmall:

It does not have to use remote control, some have a sensor that is installed in each resident's car and would open the gate for such car automatically.
Some use a Wall-mount 4-Code Devide, that only the Tenants know, to open the gate.
I have seen it done in some HighRise Buildings with over 20 Flats each, so l know it can be done.

Why would you give your own remote to your friend, compromising the safety of the whole compound?
Everybody has a parking spot and residents cars have stickers, anything apart from that, you get clamped.

#NotABibeli and I am having stomach ache right now so please dont quote me.

Ground loop and infrared beams.

For me, installing the gate in condominium mode and handing remote controls to each tenant is the best. The other options work but can be easily compromised.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by davodyguy: 9:37pm On Oct 11, 2020
vickzie:
in a block of flats apartment with a gate man, who pays the gateman, landlord or tenants?
Everyone that benefits from the services being rendered by the gateman
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by JustCryptos: 9:49pm On Oct 11, 2020
rotecch77:

I will say yes, but if you are paying for the 1st one, make sure you get what you are paying for fully.
Lastly negotiate with him about the cost.

Thanks
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by JustCryptos: 9:52pm On Oct 11, 2020
bixton:

At the bold I'll figure out a simple explanation without making it lengthy.

Average is 3 bags for that size of room. I think you should ask your engineer what mix ratio he intends to use. Better you be at the site to check the work methodology on the first day or keep a trusted eye.

I checked your profile and it reads Port Harcourt. PHC has 2 types of plastering sand-- gum and power form. The gum is mixed with soft sand(sharp sand), the other is used alone. If he intends to use only sharp sand(soft sand) probably it's not completely sharp meaning it does not have teeth enabling you to have a smooth surface after shining.

Thanks. I get it now.
I'll ask the bricklayer about his mix. And I estimated 5 bags per room (which I think is an overkill) but got 80 bags for interior and exterior.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gbadexy(m): 9:53pm On Oct 11, 2020
n3xt:

Yesterday, I shared this and I was made to understand that there are water-reducing admixtures, retardants and accelerators to speed up curing process.

I guess the builder of the failed structure at Obalende don’t know much about this or he’s unsure of where to get the original admixtures in Lagos building market or maybe he’s a quack.

Some few weeks ago, my learned Oga said something about concrete mix design and it seems like “Wetin dey specially? Just use 1:2:4 grin grin Add waterproof cement. Don’t remove props. Use bricklayers from Cotonou.”

Na hin we dey see so o.

An extra days, weeks or even months added to projects would do more good than harm.

Mic off!
I think those additives are plasticisers that allows concrete be cast with little amount of water to form a compact and dense concrete but I don't think that still takes away the fact that the concrete needs the water over a period of time to attain maximum strength.
Accelerators may speed up the seeding and the initial setting period but it still needs full hydration for strength. Water is the only major thing that gives concrete it's strength from my understanding and while initial setting could be sped up, the full hydration for maximum strength would still take its own time.
Concrete with higher ratio of cement to water made workable with plasticisers would still be far more stronger after proper full hydration than it would be in the first few weeks.
Just my opinion from the setting of cement.

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Horlardorjah(m): 10:33pm On Oct 11, 2020
EgunMogaji2:

We don’t know what caused the collapse yet.

thank you very much. are we going to attribute all collapse to concrete curing ni bayi?

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kiekie1(m): 12:21am On Oct 12, 2020
smallsmall:

Chinese? America or Indian batteries? shocked
I am sure a 200AH American or German battery wont sell at the same price as a Chinese one or am l wrong?
Please mention the origin of the battery so we can properly understand price

Hello, pls i don't really understand your quote ! Details are available for enquiry below

Contact,
Smartcell global services
081-350-31951
WHATSAPP::: https:///2348170385620
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 2:19am On Oct 12, 2020
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 3:00am On Oct 12, 2020
Grooaannnn....

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 6:39am On Oct 12, 2020
gbadexy:

I think those additives are plasticisers that allows concrete be cast with little amount of water to form a compact and dense concrete but I don't think that still takes away the fact that the concrete needs the water over a period of time to attain maximum strength.
Accelerators may speed up the seeding and the initial setting period but it still needs full hydration for strength. Water is the only major thing that gives concrete it's strength from my understanding and while initial setting could be sped up, the full hydration for maximum strength would still take its own time.
Concrete with higher ratio of cement to water made workable with plasticisers would still be far more stronger after proper full hydration than it would be in the first few weeks.

Good morning!

The effectiveness of these admixtures are dependent on the temperature condition of when the concrete was poured.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 6:42am On Oct 12, 2020
While we await the investigation report (if we ever get any), here’s my submission in 2016 on Lekki Garden building collapse which claimed 34 lives.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 6:50am On Oct 12, 2020
Here’s submission of an independent investigator in the same Lekki Garden building collapse:

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 7:07am On Oct 12, 2020
According to Lagos State Building Agencies, the governor reserves the right to announce the report of the tests conducted.

Let’s not forget we are also awaiting the result of the reports of the Synagogue Building Collapse.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gbadexy(m): 7:11am On Oct 12, 2020
I'm really curious though if we further wet our concrete for at least the first three days here in Nigeria. I haven't really noticed it.
I observe during my research on external screeding material using cement that wetting cement for in the early morning and late evening when the water would not quickly evaporate before the cement can fully utilize it for two to three days after the initial setting gives it very massive difference in strength than if it wasn't given subsequent wetting.
The cement still needs it water after that but gradually from the environment, excess unutilised water within it and so on.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by uncleteeh(m): 7:11am On Oct 12, 2020
Good Morning to all and Sundry.
Oak Group is at your service to deliver great architectural plans for your dream structures.
We design.
We supervise.
+2348108408732
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 7:18am On Oct 12, 2020
Let’s safely add the Odo, Obalende Build Collapse and the scores of structural failures that happened around 2016 till date to the investigative report waiting list.

_____
Non-Destructive Test using Concrete Rebound Hammer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2NnP5l4NDg

We carried out the test before pouring our slab and not after a structural failure undecided

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 7:21am On Oct 12, 2020
gbadexy:
I'm really curious though if we further wet our concrete for at least the first three days here in Nigeria. I haven't really noticed it.
I observe during my research on external screeding material using cement that wetting cement for in the early morning and late evening when the water would not quickly evaporate before the cement can fully utilize it for two to three days after the initial setting gives it very massive difference in strength than if it wasn't given subsequent wetting.
The cement still needs it water after that but gradually from the environment, excess unutilised water within it and so on.

Ponding works well on slab.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 7:29am On Oct 12, 2020
n3xt:

Just as properly curing your column works better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JH-Di4xJuAs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=878woNELQWI

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 7:39am On Oct 12, 2020
And of course, the way we mix too.

Can anyone share with us how you achieve great mix on your build?

I have mine but I want to learn grin

I’ve seen a lot in the industry and I cannot but just look away.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gbadexy(m): 7:42am On Oct 12, 2020
n3xt:

This looks massive. I guess the engineer didn't want to take chances.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 7:44am On Oct 12, 2020
gbadexy:

This looks massive. I guess the engineer didn't want to take chances.

All the pictures shared on this thread are 100% NextHome Project (designed and built).

I learnt that strategy from Kerala.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gbadexy(m): 8:05am On Oct 12, 2020
n3xt:

All the pictures shared on this thread are 100% NextHome Project (designed and built).

I learnt that strategy from Kerala.
Oh, that's great then!
Quite impressive.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kopell: 8:05am On Oct 12, 2020
gbadexy:

I believe the major reason why most of those buildings are coming down in opinion, is the compromise in the integrity of the structural Iron component, for example if structural engineer recommends 16mm rods for section of the building with his calculations of weight. When going to purchase materials I’ve seen many 9mm rods label as 12mm and the cost is clear, those are sold for N 1750 each, while the right one and full size of 12 mm is sold N 2,200. The owner have to make decision on which one to buy. l bet you many of them will go for the cheap ones. I don’t understand why the engineer will put his name in line to forge ahead to continue the project when he knew is going to be disaster at the end, just because he wants to make money. In conclusion I think it better for engineers to proper advise their clients the danger of trying to save thousands and end up wasting millions with and people lives.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rotecch77(m): 8:15am On Oct 12, 2020
kopell:
I believe the major reason why most of those buildings are coming down in opinion, is the compromise in the integrity of the structural Iron component, for example if structural engineer recommends 16mm rods for section of the building with his calculations of weight. When going to purchase materials I’ve seen many 9mm rods label as 12mm and the cost is clear, those are sold for N 1750 each, while the right one and full size of 12 mm is sold N 2,200. The owner have to make decision on which one to buy. l bet you many of them will go for the cheap ones. I don’t understand why the engineer will put his name in line to forge ahead to continue the project when he knew is going to be disaster at the end, just because he wants to make money. In conclusion I think it better for engineers to proper advise their clients the danger of trying to save thousands and end up wasting millions with and people lives.

Word

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gbadexy(m): 8:18am On Oct 12, 2020
kopell:
Word sir! It would reduce if engineers are held liable for building collapse.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 8:22am On Oct 12, 2020
kopell:

I agree and I’ll wager that none has to do with curing.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 8:46am On Oct 12, 2020
kopell:

The owner is not at fault. The regulatory bodies should take a larger part of the blame.

I have a technical manual used by Zurich inspectors (230 page manual) to target inspection visits through a process of risk management.
The number of visits to different projects varies depending on the initial and ongoing risk assessment carried out by the inspectors.

After the inspection, the inspectors will provide a printed record indicating items inspected on the day for the particular stage of work and where necessary highlight areas that do not meet the accepted building standards for each project.

How will a homeowner or builder/contractor ever compromise when he’s fully aware that the inspectors will always be around to sign off each stage of work.

Why can’t we emulate what’s obtainable in developed countries of the world?

This same excuse is what LASBCA gave that the promoters of Lekki Gardens added additional 2 floors after approval.

The question remains what’s the work of the regulatory bodies. To react only when there’s structural failure.

Let’s not forget the helicopter crash few weeks ago. We later learnt it does not have approval

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Shanid(m): 8:50am On Oct 12, 2020
GET YOUR REAL LEATHER BELTS AT BEST PRICE
CHECK SIGNATURE

(1) (2) (3) ... (1683) (1684) (1685) (1686) (1687) (1688) (1689) ... (3674) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: kiekie1(m) and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.