Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,283 members, 7,836,259 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 12:58 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (1811) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4445113 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1808) (1809) (1810) (1811) (1812) (1813) (1814) ... (3679) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 3:23am On Dec 04, 2020
GoodFaith:

My brother why l said we all is because of all our action and inaction
We "the people fail to stand up and fight
No water
No light
No road
No hospitals'
from messenger to CEO
All levels of anything you do -people are there to make it harder for all of us

As some group are pumping up the tyre, there’s another group deflating it.

Yesterday, I got 2 trailer loads of StoneDust delivered to my new project site at 70k for 29.75ton and 32.18tons respectively.
The seller (also a friend in biz) told me he’d be charging extra N5k per truck as his running cost which I gladly paid without worries.

There are good people here but the truth is cheating/corruption is in our gene.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 3:29am On Dec 04, 2020
JustCryptos:

As I no come get concrete mixer nko?

I wish you were close. I have Belle Minimix (a 90ltr mix capacity electric mixer) that I’ve been using for my DIY projects since 2013.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 4:12am On Dec 04, 2020
michlins:
yes maybe the time frame I gave is short and this gate has surpassed it. That doesn't disqualify my statement. Btw, how many people know treated and non treated pipes. Like in this thread of professionals, how many people can differentiate between the two

Like I said earlier, “In Nigeria, there’s always a problem for every solution” and the bolded part above is a typical example.

If people know a well painted car is better than one without good painting, why do we assume they don’t know how to treat their steel works.
Even if they do not, why are those who are knowledgeable in that space not teaching them what to do to make their gates/doors etc last longer. grin

Any pipe in the market can be used for your project. Treating pipes is not rocket science. You just need to understand how to maintain it.

- use gasket rubber/rubber feet to protect your pipe from scratches
- seal up openings
- coat it very well
- avoid scratches and repaint immediately you notice one.
- sand off oily surface on black pipes as it prevents paint from adhering.
- always clean your gates/pipes etc.

Armed with the information that most homeowners/clients don’t know the difference, welders always go for the cheapest materials in order to maximize their gain.
Rust inhibitors doesn’t cost much but only few welders apply it on their job.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yu0ZhI7qvOE

Treating pipes is very easy if we chose to do things right.

_________
Pic 1 - Rubber feet for chair leg (sold less than 50 - 100 naira). It’s not for fashion but to prevent scratches that causes rust.

Someone just show us how to estimate number of paint drums required per room. He has solved a problem. It’s different from someone asking “How many people know how to calculate number of paint required to paint a room?”

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ceelog(m): 7:04am On Dec 04, 2020
Morning All
In this hard times of high pop and normal cement prices, one needs to put on his alternative thinking cap.

Its in the area of wall screening or smoothening.

I remember sometime ago @Aventures mentioned something about am alternative way of screeding, using cheap paint on the wall and using sand paper to smoothen it afterwards.

Please could we discuss the actual process?

E.g. What type of cheap paint?
What method of sanding is adopted? Hand or mechanical? What type of sand paper?
Lastly, what final paint will be used? Will will and satin be possible on such wall?
@gbadexy can help.

Please let's discuss this so that our building passion will not erode as prices fly high.
Cc
@sadyfact, @next @spyder880, @diodarves, @sezgy @abdulwastecx etc

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gbadexy(m): 7:26am On Dec 04, 2020
ceelog:
Morning All
In this hard times of high pop and normal cement prices, one needs to put on his alternative thinking cap.

Its in the area of wall screening or smoothening.

I remember sometime ago @Aventures mentioned something about am alternative way of screeding, using cheap paint on the wall and using sand paper to smoothen it afterwards.

Please could we discuss the actual process?

E.g. What type of cheap paint?
What method of sanding is adopted? Hand or mechanical? What type of sand paper?
Lastly, what final paint will be used? Will will and satin be possible on such wall?
@gbadexy can help.

Please let's discuss this so that our building passion will not erode as prices fly high.
Cc
@sadyfact, @next @spyder880, @diodarves, @sezgy @abdulwastecx etc

You could use a primer on the wall in multiple coats preferably (especially if the plastering isn't smooth) and give it a light sandpaper finish.
Matte and satin could be applied on it afterwards.
Primer was used for the external and internal of this building: https://www.nairaland.com/4577731/ongoing-painting-pictures-nairalanders-lekki

We even used it on a much rougher wall here : https://www.nairaland.com/5690061/before-after-painting-ibadan-project

Although some plastering may be poor that it would need a full screeding.
With primer, it helps if the plastering is smooth.
You could use a basecoat also for screeding. It's the most durable and around the same cost as the other forms of screeding before their increase. It would still give around N550 to N580 per sqm including workmanship.
N.B; A primer is a paint meant to prepare the surface for painting. In the context of wall smoothening, it's a thick coated emulsion paint that is applied with roller.
A primer could be formulated to stabilize a porous and weak surface and prevent excessive absorption of paint so the usage is broad and depends on the usage meant for.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by zuraking(m): 7:38am On Dec 04, 2020
In this high rate of material, I am planning skipping German floor in my villa house and laying tiles directly.

Professional in the house, can we skip German floor and lay tiles directly after filling?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 7:49am On Dec 04, 2020
zuraking:
In this high rate of material, I am planning skipping German floor in my villa house and laying tiles directly.

Professional in the house, can we skip German floor and lay tiles directly after filling?

Flooring is very important o. Dont skip flooring. Instead, look for cheaper ways of doing flooring, do you have local stones in your location, you can use it instead of chippings.

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 8:02am On Dec 04, 2020
zuraking:

Please don’t try it Sir.

1) Soil Heave: German floor helps to stabilize the movements of the soil underneath keeping a relative firm surface for stuff above.

2) Moisture Control: German floor also helps contain all but the most finite of liquid from escaping upwards.

3) Insects and Animals: Burrowing animals could gain easy entry.

If you haven’t done a monolithic floor then you can just do each rooms German floor one by one.

Good luck on your project.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by saydfact(m): 8:27am On Dec 04, 2020
JustCryptos:
To the gurus in the house... I have a few questions.

1. What's your take on concrete countertops as opposed to HDF, MDF, or marble.

2. Is concrete flooring/polishing a cheaper alternative to tiling?

For some context, once I am through with plastering, I am seriously considering a lot of DIY for the remaining part of the house, particularly cabinets, wardrobes, chairs, and flooring.

Cc saydfact

I saw a concrete top in my younger sis's house and it was amazing... which ever you choose, do it well

on the flooring; Tiling might be a cheaper alternative on the long run (in my opinion)

GOODLUCK
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by zuraking(m): 8:40am On Dec 04, 2020
Thanks my oga's spyder880 , egunmogaji2, I like the number 3 point....well noted.

Nigeria is hard now, we are just trying to save small money even when we know the repercussions. angry sad

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ceelog(m): 8:40am On Dec 04, 2020
gbadexy:

You could use a primer on the wall in multiple coats preferably (especially if the plastering isn't smooth) and give it a light sandpaper finish.
Matte and satin could be applied on it afterwards.
Primer was used for the external and internal of this building: https://www.nairaland.com/4577731/ongoing-painting-pictures-nairalanders-lekki

We even used it on a much rougher wall here : https://www.nairaland.com/5690061/before-after-painting-ibadan-project

Although some plastering may be poor that it would need a full screeding.
With primer, it helps if the plastering is smooth.
You could use a basecoat also for screeding. It's the most durable and around the same cost as the other forms of screeding before their increase. It would still give around N550 to N580 per sqm including workmanship.
N.B; A primer is a paint meant to prepare the surface for painting. In the context of wall smoothening, it's a thick coated emulsion paint that is applied with roller.
A primer could be formulated to stabilize a porous and weak surface and prevent excessive absorption of paint so the usage is broad and depends on the usage meant for.

As always thank you.

Nb: the plaster was relatively done very well with only few splashes of mortar here and there.

How does a normal cheap paint differ from a primer?

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gbadexy(m): 9:48am On Dec 04, 2020
ceelog:

As always thank you.

Nb: the plaster was relatively done very well with only few splashes of mortar here and there.

How does a normal cheap paint differ from a primer?
They would scrape off the mortar splash with a scraper.
Primers for wall smoothening isn't meant to be very opaque like regular paint. It's more for filling and smoothening.
Any paint with high solid content and good binder could serve that purpose.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by valencia2012(m): 9:49am On Dec 04, 2020
Just did a little check on DIY! And it's not so strange as i thought especially with the right equipment. I'll definitely go for concrete tops! Am sort of not too conventional though.
My question is why is it not famous in Nigeria?
It's hundred percent durable, solid. No need to be scared of repairs or fluids.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cnwwg6kBoY

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by femidbuilder: 10:16am On Dec 04, 2020
I need a very good tiler for a project (1000 M2) but want a person who can deliver a quality job.

any recommendations and any ideas what the going rate is?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 10:16am On Dec 04, 2020
zuraking:
Thanks my oga's spyder880 , egunmogaji2, I like the number 3 point....well noted.

Nigeria is hard now, we are just trying to save small money even when we know the repercussions. angry sad

I hear you about saving money.

Let’s do it on less critical areas like windows.

Foundation and roof are two things that I never mess with.

Success will be ours.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by DUNKA(m): 10:24am On Dec 04, 2020
Dear House,
Which is better for a watertank stand/base for a duplex Concrete or Steel?

Thanks
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by topsy23: 10:26am On Dec 04, 2020
DUNKA:
Dear House,

Thanks

Steel stanchion is better because it must be high or same level with the roof of your building.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Phildecasa(m): 11:00am On Dec 04, 2020
DUNKA:
Dear House,

Thanks
Watertank is better. It saves you maintenance headaches due to leakeges caused by air bubbles created in concrete slabs that were not escaped during casting. So water leaks through those paths.
Secondly, you can determine any height you want for increased water pressure.
Construction cost of water tank is quite higher as compared to the other option.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 11:30am On Dec 04, 2020
femidbuilder:
I need a very good tiler for a project (1000 M2) but want a person who can deliver a quality job.

0807 664 7717

Musa

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by michlins(m): 11:34am On Dec 04, 2020
n3xt:

Like I said earlier, “In Nigeria, there’s always a problem for every solution” and the bolded part above is a typical example.

If people know a well painted car is better than one without good painting, why do we assume they don’t know how to treat their steel works.
Even if they do not, why are those who are knowledgeable in that space not teaching them what to do to make their gates/doors etc last longer. grin

Any pipe in the market can be used for your project. Treating pipes is not rocket science. You just need to understand how to maintain it.

- use gasket rubber/rubber feet to protect your pipe from scratches
- seal up openings
- coat it very well
- avoid scratches and repaint immediately you notice one.
- sand off oily surface on black pipes as it prevents paint from adhering.
- always clean your gates/pipes etc.

Armed with the information that most homeowners/clients don’t know the difference, welders always go for the cheapest materials in order to maximize their gain.
Rust inhibitors doesn’t cost much but only few welders apply it on their job.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yu0ZhI7qvOE

Treating pipes is very easy if we chose to do things right.

_________
Pic 1 - Rubber feet for chair leg (sold less than 50 - 100 naira). It’s not for fashion but to prevent scratches that causes rust.

Someone just show us how to estimate number of paint drums required per room. He has solved a problem. It’s different from someone asking “How many people know how to calculate number of paint required to paint a room?”
all these stress and extra resources when you can simply use angle bars instead of pipes?

I thought the purpose of this thread is to save and cut cost of building houses. Why create extra problems and find a solution just to prove that you are a professional builder.

"If it's not broken, don't fix it".......... Peter Obi

12 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Enyinne(f): 11:34am On Dec 04, 2020
After making money from u as a customer ,they will steal goods from u too . I thank God i was connected to a Chinese company to import from China Shingles stonecoated at a much cheaper price and higher quality .The Chinese man was lamenting how carpenter steals roofing sheets on site as his customers complains to him .Nigerian are known for evil worldwide. Please guide ur roofing sheet with all security to minimize loss.
DancingSkeleton:
These people supplying roofing sheets at warehouse are really thieves.
I went there 2 days ago to get their quotation, tried making payments but couldn’t due to failure by gtb app. ( I noticed one of the cashiers wrote her phone on the sheet of paper containing their bank information and quotations, she said I can call her in case of anything) So I went to the bank yesterday morning to make a transfer to their account, then myself and my mom went to their warehouse and made arrangements for the supply of the materials I paid for, which was to is to be supplied to my site this morning. After offloading from the vehicle that brought it, I immediately started counting the sheets 500sqm of Roman should give 1000 sheets, to my surprise I counted 878 on my first count, I recounted I got 886. Then I called the driver, he asked that I recount it, I started grouping 50 sheets each, then I got 17 groups and 48 sheets ( 17x 50 = 850, 850+ 48 = 898) so my final count was 898 sheets instead of 1000 sheets which is 449sqm supplied instead of 500sqm. So I called the driver who then passed the phone to the cashier, they asked that we call back because they were going to find out where the error came from. After 20 minutes we called and they confirmed that they supplied 450sqm instead of 500sqm, my mom asked why they made such a big error she ended the call immediately after blabbing for some seconds because she couldn’t make up a reason lol.
Then I remembered this same cashier wrote her number down for a reason, she thought I was the roofer and my mom was my client, so they supplied the materials 50sqm short hoping my mom would come over to but some extra materials to complete the project, then I’d call cashier later after the job so we can discuss how to share the 50sqm within ourselves, This is 3200 x 50 = 160,000 for Christ sake, we asked the cashier how they’re going to supply me the balance 50sqm, she said I’d have to come get it myself, I decided to hold on a bit till my roofers exhaust the sheets we have on site at the moment, so as to know if I’d have to buy a lil extra or not. These people are full of surprises

Sorry for the long note, and excuse my typos and punctuation errors.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 12:15pm On Dec 04, 2020
michlins:
all these stress and extra resources when you can simply use angle bars instead of pipes?

I thought the purpose of this thread is to save and cut cost of building houses. Why create extra problems and find a solution just to prove that you are a professional builder.

You’ve made your point bro and I understand you perfectly.

No one uses angle iron to make slats. Check online and see what we are talking about.

If the specification is pipe, don’t recommend angle iron just because you can’t make it work like others.

This is exactly the typical “this is how we do it naija” mindset we are talking about.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 12:18pm On Dec 04, 2020
michlins:

Purpose of the thread:

mufutau55:
Off-Topic Thread - To Discuss Anything and Everything that doesn't fit into an individual thread.

Let's discuss everything pertaining to Building Constructions, Real estate and some more.

Note: Please no products or services advertisements... there are plenty of other threads for that already. No buying and selling on this thread.

Hajji M.

We save money because we’re more educated on the subject matters. Not that we’re not free to use alternative solutions and introduce new or different methods.

This is why I came up with the “it’s not a bible” comment.

You’re not wrong in your approach, neither is he.

Just like I’m not wrong from not doing my gate exactly the way you would do it, which is not wrong either.

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by SurveyorGeo: 12:37pm On Dec 04, 2020
femidbuilder:

Contact @Rotecch

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by michlins(m): 1:27pm On Dec 04, 2020
n3xt:

You’ve made your point bro and I understand you perfectly.

No one uses angle iron to make slats. Check online and see what we are talking about.

If the specification is pipe, don’t recommend angle iron just because you can’t make it work like others.

This is exactly the typical “this is how we do it naija” mindset we are talking about.
you don't understand subject of discussion. Slats will be pipe. Framing the gate or any other one should be angle bars. Use angle bars to frame the gate especially those areas that goes to the wall and floor because they are most exposed to rusting. You can use pipes anywhere else

8 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by DancingSkeleton(m): 2:32pm On Dec 04, 2020
Enyinne:
After making money from u as a customer ,they will steal goods from u too . I thank God i was connected to a Chinese company to import from China Shingles stonecoated at a much cheaper price and higher quality .The Chinese man was lamenting how carpenter steals roofing sheets on site as his customers complains to him .Nigerian are known for evil worldwide. Please guide ur roofing sheet with all security to minimize loss.
I went back there today to collect my 50sqm and bought extra 40sqm, I could tell the cashier was embarrassed tho she tried hiding it, the other one was less friendly than she was previously because they figured out I’m the owner of the sheets Instead of the roofer they thought I was. As for the materials, I’m keeping a close mark and it’s been judiciously used.

5 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Enyinne(f): 2:53pm On Dec 04, 2020
Pls what measures did u take to safeguard the roofing sheets grin .is it by dishing it out gradually or count out as needed , biko explain so i can archive the response. I need guidance grin
DancingSkeleton:
I went back there today to collect my 50sqm and bought extra 40sqm, I could tell the cashier was embarrassed tho she tried hiding it, the other one was less friendly than she was previously because they figured out I’m the owner of the sheets Instead of the roofer they thought I was. As for the materials, I’m keeping a close mark and it’s been judiciously used.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 3:33pm On Dec 04, 2020
For anyone that might be interested, this YouTube channel is for a Master Fabricator.

https://youtube.com/c/JimbosGarage

Jimbos is who I use as a measuring stick. If anyone has some data to burn, it’s highly educational.

Thanks.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by coldcandy: 3:51pm On Dec 04, 2020
Well done sir. This is how I do my things too.
One question is how do we know a genuine quality stonecoated sheet?

DancingSkeleton:

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by DancingSkeleton(m): 5:38pm On Dec 04, 2020
Enyinne:
Pls what measures did u take to safeguard the roofing sheets grin .is it by dishing it out gradually or count out as needed , biko explain so i can archive the response. I need guidance grin
by grouping the sheets into 50 each, so I’m able to keep track of those being taken from where it’s been kept and also keeping an eye on where it’s been taken to. I also took random walks around my site, checking the bushes and Uncompleted buildings around. The roofers know I’m close marking them tho the person in charge is genuine, I know him very well but still I can’t be too cautious, his coworkers are more experienced than him in the roofing game so I’m always stalking them subtly maybe they’ve noticed but who cares.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by DancingSkeleton(m): 5:41pm On Dec 04, 2020
coldcandy:
Well done sir. This is how I do my things too.
One question is how do we know a genuine quality stonecoated sheet?

Ask the roofers then visit the warehouse yourself, they’d tell you but don’t tell them how soon the project is. That way they don’t try to take there themselves or try to convince you to hand the project to them.

(1) (2) (3) ... (1808) (1809) (1810) (1811) (1812) (1813) (1814) ... (3679) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: omololu251(m) and 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.