Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,236 members, 7,818,792 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:48 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (1890) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4398189 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1887) (1888) (1889) (1890) (1891) (1892) (1893) ... (3668) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Amastermovic(m): 7:54am On Jan 03, 2021
Good morning All,
I need to give some observation, read carefully.
As a silent reader I notice the trend of everyone wanting a steel tank stand, and materials suggestion keeps going on kindly notice the following.

Steel section are choose from expected load (tank size) ..but the bracing are always strategically place to reduce section at times or for stiffness purpose

If a steel section works in Lagos for example doesn't mean same will work in Abuja the wind pressure in each state in Nigeria is significantly different according to the wind isopleth data, so when assume this is always dangerous..

Section like UC, UB Angle iron etc all have minor axis and major axis meaning the direction of face are of important, reason you see people using CHS (recommended sizes) u don't have to worry about any local bending its strong all through .

The base plate need to be check like wise the HDB(hold down bolt)

The foundation this is important and done with three things put into consideration (weight of the steel ,wght of water , wind reactions on the structure ,live load of access also)

Not to bore you much your tank may be over designed (waste of money at least safe sha) or under designed (total waste of money and intending disaster waiting to happen)

A tank stand is a structural elements you should never toy with it because its failure is always a serious issues.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 8:10am On Jan 03, 2021
InvertedHammer:

/
Picture 1: Flat roof

It fits the design better.

/

Thank you all. Your suggestions are all noted as my client is reading this thread. May we all have a prosperous, fun filled 2021.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by megacontrol(m): 8:26am On Jan 03, 2021
Hello guys,

Does anyone have a site security man to recommend?

Maybe someone you have used before on your site during construction and now you no longer need him after completing your build?

The location is lekki and as usual he will live on the site for the period of the project (estimated 1yr).

Pls holla if you can help.

Thanks

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kobocity: 8:33am On Jan 03, 2021
megacontrol:
Hello guys,

Does anyone have a site security man to recommend?

Maybe someone you have used before on your site during construction and now you no longer need him after completing your build?

The location is lekki and as usual he will live on the site for the period of the project (estimated 1yr).

Pls holla if you can help.

Thanks

I do. I’ll WhatsApp you shortly

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 8:46am On Jan 03, 2021
Access14:
Good House and Season Greetings

Happy New Year and wishing you all the best of 2021

Pls I want to fill a Land and would need some clarification or advice as listed below

1. Do I need to clear the land of the small plant and dirty on it before filling ?

2. What type of filling is best and economical

3. How much is a truck of filling and what size?
Someone offer 17k per tipper and the filling is from demolish house mixed with Road digged sand because they demolish some house for road expansion

Note: Reason for the filling is to avoid the land been water logged. Anytime it rain, the rain water and water from Drainage always sit on it

Attached is the land for your attention

Kindly advise what step to take

Thanks all

Good Morning.....
Just a couple of questions though out of curiosity

1) What's the level(height) of your land to the existing road where those spoilers chairs are kept? I'm also assuming that may not be the area where the main entrance is?
2) What are your plans to build(type of build) on the land(present or still in the future)?

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kobocity: 8:46am On Jan 03, 2021
Amastermovic:
Good morning All,
As a silent reader I notice the trend of everyone wanting a steel tank stand, and materials suggestion keeps going on kindly notice the following.

Steel section are choose from expected load (tank size) ..but the bracing are always strategically place to reduce section at times or for stiffness purpose

If a steel section works in Lagos for example doesn't mean same will work in Abuja the wind pressure in each state in Nigeria is significantly different according to the wind isopleth data, so when assume this is always dangerous..

Section like UC, UB Angle iron etc all have minor axis and major axis meaning the direction of face are of important, reason you see people using CHS (recommended sizes) u don't have to worry about any local bending its strong all through .

The foundation this is important and done with three things put into consideration (weight of the steel ,wght of water , wind reactions on the structure ,live load of access also)

Not to bore you much your tank may be over designed (waste of money at least safe sha) or under designed (total waste of money and intending disaster waiting to happen)

A tank stand is a structural elements you should never toy with it because its failure is always a serious issues.

Not just the tank stand alone but every other steel structures too.

My steel fabricator doesn’t weld gate or burglary proofs. He only handle steel structures.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kobocity: 8:55am On Jan 03, 2021
sinorte:

Ok, let's deal sir. Will you provide the contact?

IVe replies you twice but interestingly nairaland spambot has been unleashed.

All thanks to ineffective pm function.

The guy will do less than 500k. Check his contact information in my signature below.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 9:01am On Jan 03, 2021
Amastermovic:
Good morning All,

The bold is not acceptable in construction engineering in any part of the world. Any type of design that leads to wastage of resources(material, money, labour and time) is just to hide the in-experience of the individual.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kobocity: 9:02am On Jan 03, 2021
Temi1:

Please could you shed more light on the maintenance costs of hidden roof?

At much later time today, I’d do that on kobocity.com and share the link here.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kobocity: 9:03am On Jan 03, 2021
bixton:

The bold is not acceptable in construction engineering in any part of the world. Any type of design that leads to wastage of resources(material, money, labour and time) is just to hide the in-experience of the individual.

I don’t get this...
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Amastermovic(m): 9:10am On Jan 03, 2021
bixton:

Yes you are very right sir. Every build should be of value , money is not easy to come by , reason most nairaland check on this thread and double check for alternative.

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by edoman2016: 9:17am On Jan 03, 2021
bayo2018:
Good day Bosses
I’ll like you all to direct me because I’m very New here and I wanna spend very little amount in Building just like Boss Egunmogaji tongue

Please what’s the range price to get a drawing for a (2) 2 bedroom and (3) 1 bedroom bungalow on a Full plot (60x 120)

and also is it possible to put this structure up to the decking level for at most 3.5m smiley
Your suggestions will be highly appreciated Bosses.
Ask yourself again if 3.5 million sound possible for what you listed? Did anyone tell you building materials is produced on nairaland?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Amastermovic(m): 9:23am On Jan 03, 2021
kobocity:

Not just the tank stand alone but every other steel structures too.

My steel fabricator doesn’t weld gate or burglary proofs. He only handle steel structures.

Well detailed and impressive, I kind of like your diversity on most niche of building and engineering , don't forget to add a dedicated structural section on kobocity for some of us to review structural drawing and learn ..most building cost can be strategically reduce by optimizing the structural elements rightly

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 9:27am On Jan 03, 2021
kobocity:

I don’t get this...

From the original OP...
Over designs leading to waste of money is not a good engineering construction acceptable practice.
Every good design comes with a designed safety factor. A good understanding of construction engineering goes hand in hand with a good knowledge of economics.
Building out of fear to ensure the safety of a structure is not a proper proof of acquired knowledge or experience.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 9:31am On Jan 03, 2021
edoman2016:

Ask yourself again if 3.5 million sound possible for what you listed? Did anyone tell you building materials is produced on nairaland?

You should have encouraged him to start the build with available amount and continue to provide funds as the building processes progresses rather than trying to fight him.

9 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by edoman2016: 9:40am On Jan 03, 2021
bixton:

You should have encouraged him to start the build with available amount and continue to provide funds as the building processes progresses rather than trying to fight him.

I am not a builder or engineer. But the request just sound ridiculous to me. 2 units of two bedroom flat and 3 units of one bedroom flat and be fully decked for 3.5 million naira?

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 9:46am On Jan 03, 2021
edoman2016:

I am not a builder or engineer. But the request just sound ridiculous to me. 2 units of two bedroom flat and 3 units of one bedroom flat and be fully decked for 3.5 million naira?

He is just trying to make enquires and make better plans ahead.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kobocity: 9:48am On Jan 03, 2021
jabolo:

I was counting on you. Perhaps share details (on the linked thread if you prefer), might help some here.

Seems it has to be something considered at the Architectural stage, something my build missed out on. Things like - strengthening the wooden decks, specifying the correct roof linings, providing access (wooden stairs), providing adequate ventilation etc

Perhaps a potential viable business is retrofitting these into the gigantic traditional roof spaces that have been the norm.

Just needs thinking out of the box to do the math and make this cost effective and therefore a no-brainer. I trust our people though - they will provide a million reasons why ths should not be done.

I had it included on my no. 10th build of this design (pic 1) which we first built in 2012.

My client in 2012 actually wanted something similar but we couldn’t push it through as I had to get on another project after delivering 2 carcass structure for him.

Unfortunately I don’t take construction pictures like before to show the build process but I can share the plans and need-to-knows - not here - on kobocity.com

_______

Megacontrol have something similar in one of his build too. I remembered he contacted me grin when he wanted to build the structure but...

_______

Pic 1: NextHome’s Detached Duplex Prototype designed in 2012 by brabus (3D model by Ihebrooke)

Pic 2: Construction picture of one of the model built in 2015

Pic 3: Building the penthouse in 2019 model

Pic 4: Pic from megacontrol’s project.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kobocity: 9:57am On Jan 03, 2021
edoman2016:

Not fully decked. Raised to first floor slab level.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by edoman2016: 10:08am On Jan 03, 2021
kobocity:

Not fully decked. Raised to first floor slab level.
he said decking level. However its none of my concern.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by michlins(m): 10:12am On Jan 03, 2021
Amastermovic:
Good morning All,

the most important part of tank stand is the foundation. It varies from place to place and that's why it's recommended to do the job on site so you can see the soil you're working with and find out the kind of foundation it requires. What works in Nnewi will NEVER work in Lagos.

The weight of water and load is same everywhere and as such same material that works at point A can work at B provided the weight, height remains the same. It's a hollow structure and so wind can freely pass without compromising the structure.

Another factor is the ability of the welder to weld well. I don't know how to explain this part.

If the three factors are adhered to, you will get a structure that will outlive the building

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kobocity: 10:37am On Jan 03, 2021
michlins:
the most important part of tank stand is the foundation. It varies from place to place and that's why it's recommended to do the job on site so you can see the soil you're working with and find out the kind of foundation it requires. What works in Nnewi will NEVER work in Lagos.

The weight of water and load is same everywhere and as such same material that works at point A can work at B provided the weight, height remains the same. It's a hollow structure and so wind can freely pass without compromising the structure.

Another factor is the ability of the welder to weld well. I don't know how to explain this part.

If the three factors are adhered to, you will get a structure that will outlive the building

Hmmm!

_______
As I was reading this post, the project below came to mind. Steel structures are designed to specifications and not “as the spirit led.”
I believe someone would be telling the design team “If all the trusses connect at a point... blah, blah...”

I stick with my steel fabricator because he always ask for the engineering drawing for every small structures we are building.

He’s on the team of the guys that built Obasanjo Tank Farm. Just in case anyone need references grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kobocity: 10:57am On Jan 03, 2021
Amastermovic:

Well detailed and impressive, I kind of like your diversity on most niche of building and engineering , don't forget to add a dedicated structural section on kobocity for some of us to review structural drawing and learn ..most building cost can be strategically reduce by optimizing the structural elements rightly

We are working on that and I can assure you we have a special place for people like you on the platform which can only be accessed by premium subscribers.

You’re such a big deal to us!

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gandkiss: 11:02am On Jan 03, 2021
Good morning house, can anyone tell me the type of wood below and if it's good for door frames

@johntemmy

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kobocity: 11:07am On Jan 03, 2021
InvertedHammer:

/
The problem is that we lack the right materials and products. I could go to Home Depot and get everything I need relatively cheap as plug and play and it will stand the test of time. We just don't like to pay close attention to details. Quality Assurance is almost non-existent. Eg. Most of the welding jobs I have seen among the artisans in Nigeria are very shoddy. And these are the fellas that are supposed to handle projects?

What I chose to do is pay the workers to do the manual part of a job. When they finish, I bring the right tools to finetune it. I have been able to maintain my sanity doing it this way.

/

I did something in 2011. I bought some electrical cables from UK and decided to use it on one of my project.

It’s 10 years now and nothing has happened.

10 years ago, I was made to believe that electricity is different in Nigeria and you kinda need a transformer cable to wire your house.
I even got some MCB and other stuffs but I didn’t use them all.

The only way I maintain my sanity is asking my tradespeople to do the preliminary and the rough-in works while I do the finishing.

The result has been awesome.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 11:09am On Jan 03, 2021
cuddling44:

Tank u sir... sir is gravel or granite usually okay for d parapets

I’ve only used granite. You don’t need that much so the cost is negligible in the grand scheme of things.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Amastermovic(m): 11:22am On Jan 03, 2021
michlins:

You made mention of the foundation,

how do you calculate this load and transfer to the said foundation ?

Wind is a major factor too.

Reason same materials may not work is because of wind I will gve a brief lay example below..

If you build close to sea or open up area or hill where no winding breaking occurs at much such section may likely not work except for proper bracing compared to building such stand at Ikeja where its relatively developed or behind ur building..

The base plate, stiffeners, bolt ,welding even painting are all recommended.

The reinforcements in the foundation how do you go about it? Do u know which is the main direction, do you know where to splice your section or how to connect back such.

From your believe what engineer does is use same section change the wind pressure to see if it works and check the load against the Soil bearing capacity of same area Sir it work's u r good to go if it doesn't adjustment comes in and modification Sir.

I will provide you with your next 3 project on this tank stand drawing free since I notice this is what most people want to contract your service for here..

You will make a good fabricator since you are technological inclined ,

https://www.nairaland.com/3522155/iron-tank-collapses-secondary-school

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kobocity: 12:06pm On Jan 03, 2021
EgunMogaji2:

You’re fantastically correct about gate and her offerings. They have some doozies there grin

PS: You Sir are an encyclopedia on building stuff.

We still have a lot of things to tap from your wealth of experience.

Thanks for all you do. You inspire us to do more.

We will definitely do an expose on these markets and their offerings and possibly grant interview to the big players in the building materials market - not here - on kobocity.com

Weight - 600kg

6 Likes 5 Shares

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 12:24pm On Jan 03, 2021
edoman2016:

Don't dis the man E wanna be like Boss Egunmogaji 4geting Egunmogaji built a bungalow ahahah

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Desanta(m): 12:27pm On Jan 03, 2021
Excuzeme:

Its really Sad.
I should not drag this issue but to be honest, there is no excuse to justify his not chipping-in an opinion, as a Professional in the field.

All you need to do is issue a Caveat at the end of your review to say something like: my review is based on Price in my locality, which may not be the same in yours. Finito.

IMO, it is a selfish behaviour to just refuse and it negates the spirit of brotherliness here. So many people review quotes here, not minding their locality or any other excuse, afteral it is not a Bibeli.

We sabi ourselves. undecided
Anyway, the matter is closed, pardon my bringing it up, l post based on the last post l read.

I fully agree with you.

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by michlins(m): 12:27pm On Jan 03, 2021
Amastermovic:

You made mention of the foundation,

how do you calculate this load and transfer to the said foundation ?

Wind is a major factor too.

Reason same materials may not work is because of wind I will gve a brief lay example below..

If you build close to sea or open up area or hill where no winding breaking occurs at much such section may likely not work except for proper bracing compared to building such stand at Ikeja where its relatively developed or behind ur building..

The base plate, stiffeners, bolt ,welding even painting are all recommended.

The reinforcements in the foundation how do you go about it? Do u know which is the main direction, do you know where to splice your section or how to connect back such.

From your believe what engineer does is use same section change the wind pressure to see if it works and check the load against the Soil bearing capacity of same area Sir it work's u r good to go if it doesn't adjustment comes in and modification Sir.

I will provide you with your next 3 project on this tank stand drawing free since I notice this is what most people want to contract your service for here..

You will make a good fabricator since you are technological inclined ,

https://www.nairaland.com/3522155/iron-tank-collapses-secondary-school
what happened here is the weight of the tank was too heavy for the channels. If you check well, this stand fell under weight of the tank. If you check well, the foundation is still very solid but the channel fell under weight of the tank.

About the foundation, the soil determines how deep and wide it needs to be. The foundation anywhere is required to be about 2ft wide and 4ft deep at least but nothing is permanent because the height and load of the tank isn't permanent.

And yes tanks are usually positioned in a place where a house helps cushion the force of the wind and not leave it vulnerable.

You need to also realize that my field of work is an area that isn't truly defined with rules as it is occupied currently by illiterates. But through experience,we have come to develop a model that works for each person. You will agree with me that with all the education the engineers have, they still build structures that collapse. Even with their established rules and regulations. You can rarely hear the news about collapsed tanks but you hear about buildings falling everyday.

I'm willing to learn from you if you have any working model which I will have to add to my knowledge and improve on it. It's one of the biggest gains I have made from this thread and not just the jobs. I have been opened to more knowledge than what my colleagues have.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by cuddling44(f): 12:44pm On Jan 03, 2021
EgunMogaji2:

I’ve only used granite. You don’t need that much so the cost is negligible in the grand schemle of things.

Eseun sir

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (1887) (1888) (1889) (1890) (1891) (1892) (1893) ... (3668) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Abdulstoic, Jalofun and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.