Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,713 members, 7,831,245 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 04:03 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (1912) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4433408 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1909) (1910) (1911) (1912) (1913) (1914) (1915) ... (3675) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 4:07pm On Jan 11, 2021
davodyguy:

This would be difficult in Nigeria

Very difficult but the rewards are great for whoever figured it out.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 4:10pm On Jan 11, 2021
radautoworks:

That tax is high for Texas.. weird. I'm shocked by the Cali taxes though. Property price per quarter footage, not so much grin

We have Proposition 13 in California and property tax is fixed at just over 1%. The argument is also that California houses are more expensive.

I was in Collin County, just North of DFW.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by davodyguy: 4:21pm On Jan 11, 2021
EgunMogaji2:

Very difficult but the rewards are great for whoever figured it out.

Baba, under this government and Coro inclusive, people are just staying afloat and no one want to take risk.

I just spoke with the Customs officer handling the container where all my house's DBs, switches and lights are kept. He said the Shipping companies are asking for N5,000,000 each in order to release the containers before they can truck them out of Apapa to destination of Pick up.

My agent is asking me to plead with all those who's goods are trapped that we should support him in order to clear our goods. This support is in adding to what we already paid him for clearing oo. At the end of the day, why didn't I buy these things in Nigeria? I felt for a man who's goods is also trapped along mine. He said since March, 2020 he has been on it with the Agent. He has lost almost everything. Some people they have doors, some furniture in same container. My own items are still small naa. I feel for those business men among us

I am just tired of this country.

My tiles issue with that chap is still there unresolved since December. The guy's claiming he;s not back in Lagos yet and he wants to bury his father, so i should wait till end of January, 2021 grin

You just gets frustrated in this Nigeria and feel like just relocating
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 4:22pm On Jan 11, 2021
megacontrol:
Baba, I've sent you an sms. an sms reply will be much appreciated as my whatsapp is down for now.

Thanks for offering to help always.

I’ll send the number to you. The cool-headed guy I want to send hasn’t pick up but I’ll send the number anyway.

To maintain those equipment, you need cool-headed guys who are not money-conscious.

_____
He’s not Lagos-based. You may just need to show him how to get to basic spare part market (Jakande will be more like it).

Just few pennies and your machines (no matter the qty grin) will be working like new.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Kindol(m): 4:34pm On Jan 11, 2021
uncleteeh:

That's the spirit bro.
Hustle go pay by God's grace.
Amen o
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by GoodFaith: 4:42pm On Jan 11, 2021
kopell:
Same in US when people same they buy mansion in some parts State of Texas $250k I laugh that amount can’t buy studio apartment in some parts of NYC.
Yes but 250k studio have update kitchen and other stuff
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by whirlwind7(m): 4:52pm On Jan 11, 2021
spyder880:
From Enugu with bricks, this is the house of one big man, the bricks are looking neat and fresh where it has a cover, but turning dark and ugly where its exposed to rain.
I remember that I nearly invested in this brick making machine two years ago. We have very good brick making soil in some parts of Enugu.

Bricks are still an economical alternative, especially with the way cement price have gone haywire. A good architect can come up with a great design which combines conventional hollow blocks and bricks.
For the dirtied bricks in that fence, all that is needed is water and strong brush to clean off the mess. Bricks are cheaper to maintain in the long run.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 4:54pm On Jan 11, 2021
Hello people,
We have virgin;
2 plots of land : #21 million each
1/2 plot of land :#10.5 million
1 plot of land : #38 million

All are within a newly built estate, at Abule-egba.

Features: Good connecting roads (tarred with asphalt bricks)

Located close to the Abule-egba express.

Chat us on whatsapp with our link below.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by michlins(m): 5:00pm On Jan 11, 2021
davodyguy:

Baba, under this government and Coro inclusive, people are just staying afloat and no one want to take risk.

I just spoke with the Customs officer handling the container where all my house's DBs, switches and lights are kept. He said the Shipping companies are asking for N5,000,000 each in order to release the containers before they can truck them out of Apapa to destination of Pick up.

My agent is asking me to plead with all those who's goods are trapped that we should support him in order to clear our goods. This support is in adding to what we already paid him for clearing oo. At the end of the day, why didn't I buy these things in Nigeria? I felt for a man who's goods is also trapped along mine. He said since March, 2020 he has been on it with the Agent. He has lost almost everything. Some people they have doors, some furniture in same container. My own items are still small naa. I feel for those business men among us

My tiles issue with that chap is still there unresolved since December. The guy's claiming he;s not back in Lagos yet and he wants to bury his father, so i should wait till end of January, 2021 grin

when people leave high paying jobs in Nigeria for another country, this is the reason.

Read this, put yourself in the position of the clearing agent, importer, businessman and our own David waiting for his tiler until after January 2021.

The insanity and haphazard nature of this country will always push the best of us outside this country even if it means leaving your work as a doctor in Nigeria and becoming a driver in Canada

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by vickzie(m): 5:16pm On Jan 11, 2021
whirlwind7:

Bricks are still an economical alternative, especially with the way cement price have gone haywire. A good architect can come up with a great design which combines conventional hollow blocks and bricks.
For the dirtied bricks in that fence, all that is needed is water and strong brush to clean off the mess. Bricks are cheaper to maintain in the long run.
a regular pressure washer used by car wash guys would do the job stress free.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 5:44pm On Jan 11, 2021
davodyguy:

I think I understand. Sorry about the delays.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by whirlwind7(m): 5:56pm On Jan 11, 2021
vickzie:
a regular pressure washer used by car wash guys would do the job stress free.

See?
Bricks are it. Thanks, man.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 5:56pm On Jan 11, 2021
Nero2424:

Dude this is super cool, I live in a house built with brick; l keep loving it everyday. Let me know when you have the contact... If it's way beyond my budget I will add regular block to cut cost. Hopefully I will achieve that dream look

You will definitely use regular blocks at the foundation level(substructure stage). At your DPC level you will introduce a beam( plinth beam) which is where you start to lay the interlock brick blocks. As a measure to cut cost you can mark out the areas where you want the bricks to be. It can be bricks eternally only and regular blocks internal. Remember this bricks are maintained by proper polishing from time to time so it maintains its colourful nature.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 6:15pm On Jan 11, 2021
bixton:

You will definitely use regular blocks at the foundation level(substructure stage). At your DPC level you will introduce a beam( plinth beam) which is where you start to lay the interlock brick blocks. As a measure to cut cost you can mark out the areas where you want the bricks to be. It can be bricks eternally only and regular blocks internal. Remember this bricks are maintained by proper polishing from time to time so it maintains its colourful nature.

I think everything should be done at the design stage.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mountmoriah(m): 6:17pm On Jan 11, 2021
n3xt:

true

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 7:47pm On Jan 11, 2021
n3xt:

Sure that's the way it ought to be.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mountmoriah(m): 8:01pm On Jan 11, 2021
What is a flat roof?

Flat roofs are typically more accessible than roofs that are sloped. They are easier to climb for proper inspection
Any time a person climbs on a roof, care and caution should be taken, please note this.

Flat roofs are easier to check and much safer. Flat roofs are substantially more stable than gamble or hip roofs when the building is small or big.
They have an architectural appeal. In the right setting, they are economical as long as they are adequately maintained. Because flat roofs are quicker to install, the wait to move in is shorter. If repairs or replacement are needed down the road, re-roofing is relatively painless and quick
Flat roofs are not the most attractive roof in world, but you will save on cost of materials and that money you save can be used for plumbing or electrical on your building project, nevertheless the price of flat roof repair is also cheaper, the roofing material required for covering, such as asbestos, long span, stepped tiles, metocopo or stones coated is less compare to hip roof, gamble roof, mansard roof, e.t.c

Flat roofs are among the most controversial roofs of all the types of roofs for buildings and homes, both in commercial buildings or residential buildings.

Of recent, we all we notice that half of the commercial and residential building in lekki, ajah, ibeju, Elerangbe are emulating the act of saving cost by using flat roof, even banks or factory or estates now use flat roof, it also have a modernize aesthetic designs to your building that give value to the money spend from foundation of your building to the painting of your building.
They are most commonly used on outbuildings and large structures. Flat roofs have a unique set of challenges and needs. If you plan to have a flat roof on a residential or commercial building, it is essential to know flat roof advantages.
Advantages
The biggest advantage of a flat roof is the expense.
From building and installing to the materials commonly used for flat roofs, they are relatively cheap, you will save much on hardwoods, nails, and aluminum or stones coated roofing to cover the roofing carcass these makes a flat roof very affordable for both installation and upkeep and maintenance.
Labor is cheaper due to less risk while installing a flat roof.
Installation of flat roofs is quicker and easier for instants, for construct a 3bedroom or 4-bedroom flat roof is just 2 days with just four carpenters, not like hip roof, gamble roof or mansard roof, there are fewer damage and repair costs over the lifespan of the roof. Installing things like solar panels, which save on electricity, and satellites—making repairs and cleaning gutters less expensive and easier to accomplish on flat roofs.

The second advantage is space can be used for other purposes. Air conditioning units can be put on the roof instead of the ground. Flat roof solar racking installed on a flat roof is less evident from the ground than a sloped roof.

You can design a living roof that becomes an outdoor lounge area to relax or barbecue, or plant a garden on the rooftop. The list of possibilities for utilizing a flat roof is nearly endless.

A flat roof also makes interior space more versatile. Top floor apartments and finished attics are possibilities without the sloped walls produced by traditional pitched roofs. In homes that need maximum interior space, flat

https://www.nairaland.com/6357763/advantages-flat-roof-building-project

for more information, check my signature, you can call or whatsapp, thanks
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kingzsoul: 8:40pm On Jan 11, 2021
davodyguy:

Which shipping companies are asking for 5m each for the release of container? Cos i work in ptml tincan island.

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Greenarrow01(m): 10:32pm On Jan 11, 2021
kingzsoul:

Which shipping companies are asking for 5m each for the release of container? Cos i work in ptml tincan island.

Good evening sir. Pls what is the average cost of shipping a 20ft container from Guangzhou China
Electronics and what do you think will be average cost of clearing at port.
These machines are electric machines...
Thank you sir
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Chekitaut: 10:48pm On Jan 11, 2021
bayo2018:
Please help look into this Bosses
Seems this person wan rip my little capital cry
IKD 95k is 10tons
Granite is 3,500/ton
Transportation is 45-50k
Road expenses is 5k
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by RockOfAgesAlumi(m): 11:28pm On Jan 11, 2021
Good evening!
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Carmal90(m): 11:28pm On Jan 11, 2021
Hello sir/ma

Pls, is it proper or ideal to place exit door of a structure inside kitchen??

Let me explain, like you have to pass through the kitchen before exiting the house...
Proper??
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rangerover21: 11:37pm On Jan 11, 2021
uncleteeh:

No. Will help you find out.
Chat me on WhatsApp or drop your contact sir.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 12:12am On Jan 12, 2021
EgunMogaji2:

I think it's really cool but as with most things in Nigeria execution lacks attention to detail. In the USA brick houses, even facades commands premium pricing.

The pictures posted are not bricks and should not be confused with USA/British bricks as we know it. These are Compressed Stabilised Blocks (CSEB). Burnt (kiln) bricks as obtain and prevalent in the USA/Britain are a different proposition. These can bring class to a building.

Compressed Stabilised Earth Blocks (CSEB) are laterite stabilised with 10% cement and compressed by machine into blocks. I have done research on this about four years ago with a view to building (donating) two blocks of classroom to my secondary school. My findings then revealed CSEB are not cheaper as you need all the elements of normal Sandcrete blocks and more. So you still need your normal foundation with Sandcrete blocks (CSEB don't like water longterm), you would need rebar (for some design), columns and beams even for bungalows. You would also need to plaster the internal walls and paint as normal to achieve clean straight lines internally.

As CSEB are smaller than Sandcrete blocks, you would need more CSEB for same size building as you would with normal blocks. The problems are bricklayers normally charge near the same or even more per CSEB and because you need more CSEB, your labour cost to lay the CSEB is higher.

The cost saving is that you do not need to render the external walls and paint but this cost saving is offset by the need to use rebar for some design and introducing columns and beams here and there. You can ONLY save if you have a mountain of free laterite on your site, so you don't need to buy laterite and you are doing it FULL DIY, no labour cost and you cut corners by limiting the use of rebar, beams and columns.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 12:20am On Jan 12, 2021
Carmal90:
Hello sir/ma

Pls, is it proper or ideal to place exit door of a structure inside kitchen??

Let me explain, like you have to pass through the kitchen before exiting the house...
Proper??

This is a common design in the UK but may not fly in Nigeria. You normally adopt this design in a small space.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kingzsoul: 2:04am On Jan 12, 2021
Greenarrow01:

Good evening sir. Pls what is the average cost of shipping a 20ft container from Guangzhou China
Electronics and what do you think will be average cost of clearing at port.
These machines are electric machines...
Thank you sir

Will make the enquiry for you from our container dept. They will knw much better.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by LastWeek1: 3:26am On Jan 12, 2021
Hello guys

Pls if you know much about interlocking, kindly give out some tips. Things are tight right now and I want good quality for this job.

My interlocking man told me he will collect 2,800 per sqm . Few red and Black color, and the rest will be regular white.
Also he said he will mix granite to it. Is this a good deal and how can I monitor him to make sure he uses quality materials throughout.?

He told there are 2 types of moulding style , 4sqm is what most people use in the house while 3sqm is for roads.then he said , he will do 4sqm moulding style for me . Is this right?

Pls give me suggestions and ideas cos I don’t want him to cheat me because I want quality job.

Thank you
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Greenarrow01(m): 4:34am On Jan 12, 2021
kingzsoul:

Will make the enquiry for you from our container dept. They will knw much better.
.thank you sir
I will be expecting
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by hayor2014(m): 4:35am On Jan 12, 2021
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Carmal90(m): 5:31am On Jan 12, 2021
diordaves:

This is a common design in the UK but may not fly in Nigeria. You normally adopt this design in a small space.

Thanks sir...
I just did on mine.

Regards
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Dijita: 6:10am On Jan 12, 2021
dam4sam:

Fortunately, l am an expert, the same expert you are referring to, with over two decades of experience, with those Certifications and more, to boot and l work in the industry. I am not even going to delve into University .I.T Degrees at Post graduate level, because those are considered basic at my stage.
Need l say more?
Like l said, most people catch-up very, very late, when it comes to modern, cutting-edge technology.
Up till now, l still hear people express fear about 5G technology and how it will fry their balls, when some countries have already launched 6G! grin
So it is your expert opinion that wireless network is more secure than wired network. Can you back up such assertion with an authoritative source?
The following is a source from a cyber security company in UK
https://aberdeencybersecurity.co.uk/wired-vs-wireless-networking/
The following is another source from a home security company
https://www.safewise.com/home-security-faq/wired-vs-wireless-security/

They both asserted that wired network is more secure than wireless network . I choose these two because they are people working in the field as opposed to university research papers

(1) (2) (3) ... (1909) (1910) (1911) (1912) (1913) (1914) (1915) ... (3675) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: lorhema(f) and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.