Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,812 members, 7,820,847 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:07 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (1966) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4405058 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1963) (1964) (1965) (1966) (1967) (1968) (1969) ... (3670) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by RockOfAgesAlumi(m): 7:14pm On Jan 31, 2021
RockOfAgesAlumi:

Boos if you can ask the person that give you the quotation maybe it is TOWER STANDARD OR TOWER
That quotation is Abuja price but you can negotiate the 1200 x 1400 to 55k and some other more that you discover that the price is too high for you
Boss
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 7:15pm On Jan 31, 2021
Abudu2000:
me too i was shocked when i saw that price. Printing alone could cost up to 20k what about the expertise put into the design, the concept etc. structural design that comes less than 100k should be questioned because the calculations involved for each and every support of the building members self. As a structural engineer even a copy paste job isn't for amateurs let alone a fresh one.

Some jobs are better done for free!

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nero2424: 7:23pm On Jan 31, 2021
Abudu2000:
okay let me tell u a little secret, most architects and engineers have apprentices, alot of thempr even IT students. They need them for clients like your neighbor that like to underpay. My CEO is a masters degree holder in civil engineering, he's like a god in this job he will never, I repeat never sit on his chair to analyze any job that isn't worth it when there alot of important steel jobs waiting to be touch. Even I won't bother, so such jobs are pushed down for the boyz to practice then checked by the engineer and the errors corrected, is that what you want? When u engage a professional, pay him well for his job and you will get your money worth. If that was how you are being paid in ur own job u won't be able to afford the drawingsinthe first place.

If the job is done by Temps/Newbies and checked for errors and corrected by engineers, I would go for it as longs as am building a family home or small service apartment. The only time I wouldn't want newbies is if its a massive project.

There is no guarantee your boss will attend to it even if the client paid more.

I will buy a ready made 5 bed duplex plan for sale if I see one and like it.

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 7:27pm On Jan 31, 2021
Nero2424:

If the job is done by Temps/Newbies and checked for errors and corrected by engineers, I would go for it as longs as am building a family home or small service apartment. The only time I wouldn't want newbies is if its a massive project.

There's 100% guarantee he will attend to every job that carry his seal!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 7:30pm On Jan 31, 2021
Abudu2000:
okay let me tell u a little secret, most architects and engineers have apprentices, alot of thempr even IT students. They need them for clients like your neighbor that like to underpay. My CEO is a masters degree holder in civil engineering, he's like a god in this job he will never, I repeat never sit on his chair to analyze any job that isn't worth it when there alot of important steel jobs waiting to be touch. Even I won't bother, so such jobs are pushed down for the boyz to practice then checked by the engineer and the errors corrected, is that what you want? When u engage a professional, pay him well for his job and you will get your money worth. If that was how you are being paid in ur own job u won't be able to afford the drawingsinthe first place.

Am I the only one who doesn't understand this post or understand your CEO? Why allow your firm to take the job if the job is below you?

Can your CEO single handedly execute ALL jobs high paying or low paying? What happens to delegation with the CEO as an oversight?

Why make delegation to Industrial Attachees and junior consultants sounds as if it is a bad thing? Is that not the purpose or how offices/consultancies work?

At the end of the day, your CEO will append his signature or the firm's stamp of approval to the job done by the junior/trainee consultants. So you are telling us that your Master degree CEO will append his signature to a wishy-washy job done by a junior consultant because the job is below him?

I don't get.

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by somehow: 7:41pm On Jan 31, 2021
diordaves:

Am I the only one who doesn't understand this post or understand your CEO? Why allow your firm to take the job if the job is below you?

Can your CEO single handedly execute ALL jobs high paying or low paying? What happens to delegation with the CEO as an oversight?

Why make delegation to Industrial Attachees and junior consultants sounds as if it is a bad thing? Is that not the purpose or how offices/consultancies work?

At the end of the day, your CEO will append his signature or the firm's stamp of approval to the job done by the junior/trainee consultants. So you are telling us that your Master degree CEO will append his signature to a wishy-washy job done by a junior consultant because the job is below him?

I don't get.

The seal or signature of the company already made any job done by even the cleaner in the office official, so the company /boss will take the fall and not the apprentice or cleaner.

5 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Ndyoo(m): 7:49pm On Jan 31, 2021
Joybalaba:
https://www.nairaland.com/2098129/interior-decorating-tips-multicolour-interiordezine/4 we transact on whatsapp. I had worked with a lot of good people from nairaland like @Rotech, Niyi etc , I just get there numbers here and chat with them on whatsapp. Thanks

What did you use to do this payment. I am just curious, perhaps I use the platform for my own transactions. Oh I am sorry that it's a scam case. If you have time, please do reply.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 7:50pm On Jan 31, 2021
somehow:

The seal or signature of the company already made any job done by even the cleaner in the office official, so the company/boss will take the fall and not the apprentice or cleaner.

Simple!
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 8:04pm On Jan 31, 2021
somehow:

The seal or signature of the company already made any job done by even the cleaner in the office official, so the company /boss will take the fall and not the apprentice or cleaner.

Abi o!

By appending your signature, you've done the job na. So what's all that about Masters degree never touching jobs at the lower end of the spectrum.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KelvinCoaster(m): 8:25pm On Jan 31, 2021
n3xt:
I receive dozen of requests like this on a daily basis. I remember now.
I’ll check and reply your email. It’s an oversight on my part.
n3xt,
I have resent the building plan to your e-mail.
Kindly check.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 8:30pm On Jan 31, 2021
KelvinCoaster:

n3xt,

I have resent the building plan to your e-mail.

Kindly check.

I’ve replied your mail.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Naijapal: 8:40pm On Jan 31, 2021
Are a supplier, seller or contractor? Become verified on KoboCity. Go to https://www.kobocity.com/d/38-verified-suppliers-directory for more info on how to become verified.

Verification is free for the next one month. Don't miss the opportunity to showcase your business to both registered users and ever growing visitors to the site.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 8:46pm On Jan 31, 2021
Ondo Distress Sale!!

House Typology: 3 Bedroom Bungalow (fully furnished)

Land Size: 120 x 120 (There’s space to build another house)

Offer: N15,000,000
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KelvinCoaster(m): 9:15pm On Jan 31, 2021
n3xt:

I’ve replied your mail.
Thanx a million times!
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by cash1115(m): 9:26pm On Jan 31, 2021
djsjxjfjdisjdjb:

these colors are high no nos! damn. we can do better in interior lighting and effects?
It's the light, bro and it was fixed after the ceiling installation.It's the client's choice .
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Abudu2000(m): 9:27pm On Jan 31, 2021
diordaves:

I don't get.
why would anyone take any job even when they don't get paid adequately? Survival. The construction world now especially in Nigeria has gotten to a point where quacks are being paid more than those who qualified for it. Only in Nigeria someone would rather have a bricklayer turned builder handle the project but when it goes wrong they now call the qualified engineers to fix the job and then pay more than 2twice the original fee. In structural analysis or architectural design there are preliminary stages to it that the qualified one has the better capability to handle it. If that job gets deligated to someone with an average understanding the job will still be okay but it could have been better or even the best. If i am paid less for a job and i have 5jobs of which 3 are duely paid for which will i dedicate quality time to?

Just because you can tell the number of blocks that can fence a hectare of land or how many tonnes of rods doesn't make u an expert. You could build 10houses and still don't know shit, let the professionals do their thing and make sure they are well paid for it and you will get the best.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 10:10pm On Jan 31, 2021
Abudu2000:
why would anyone take any job even when they don't get paid adequately? Survival. The construction world now especially in Nigeria has gotten to a point where quacks are being paid more than those who qualified for it. Only in Nigeria someone would rather have a bricklayer turned builder handle the project but when it goes wrong they now call the qualified engineers to fix the job and then pay more than 2twice the original fee. In structural analysis or architectural design there are preliminary stages to it that the qualified one has the better capability to handle it. If that job gets deligated to someone with an average understanding the job will still be okay but it could have been better or even the best. If i am paid less for a job and i have 5jobs of which 3 are duely paid for which will i dedicate quality time to?

Just because you can tell the number of blocks that can fence a hectare of land or how many tonnes of rods doesn't make u an expert. You could build 10houses and still don't know shit, let the professionals do their thing and make sure they are well paid for it and you will get the best.

Punchline.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 10:28pm On Jan 31, 2021
This is not a path for them baba lati or the cheap plan geng.

It’s beyond block and mortar construction. lipsrsealed It’s not the typical “how many block will finish a 4 bedroom duplex” construction.

It’s a piece of art.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by dongc(m): 11:12pm On Jan 31, 2021
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by davodyguy: 11:28pm On Jan 31, 2021
Guys I need advice or recommendation.

Should I do Biodigester or regular Septic tank/Soakaway?

Note: Water table is a bit high in our part of Ogudu, Just like Magodo, Ikosi etc.

Need to get it done this week
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 1:09am On Feb 01, 2021
Abudu2000:

I will expect you dedicate quality time to all jobs you accepted payment for. Wages and professional fees are most situations not legislated but as a result of mutual bargaining and compromise.

So if a client engaged your firm for a particular segment of your services and you accepted a fee ONLY you know can't do the job and already have the intention of delivering a Micky mouse job, that's dishonesty and unprofessional. In the building trade we call that under quoting.

If you can't do a job for the fee a client is willing to pay, reject the job. It is not enough to say survival. The survival argument can be put forward by the client as well.

While I agree with you that there is an unhealthy proliferation of pretenders and cowboys, you will agree with me that unreasonably astronomical professional fee fuel this proliferation.

8 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by whirlwind7(m): 5:57am On Feb 01, 2021
vickzie:
why do people fancy very high pitched roofs, it looks odd especially when it's a bungalow. well choice and taste differs. but...

Absolutely concur.
High pitched roofs look good on buildings with at least two floors (e.g. duplex)
But on bungalows, it has an awkward appearance. The smaller the building, the more odd a high pitched roof looks on it.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by uncleteeh(m): 6:25am On Feb 01, 2021
Nero2424:

Sir, this is where we get it wrong. Architectural Plans ain't meant to be bought, a design must always be uniquely done for a particular survey plan.
A lot of factors must be considered before an architect designs.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by uncleteeh(m): 6:26am On Feb 01, 2021
n3xt:

There's 100% guarantee he will attend to every job that carry his seal!
Exactly.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 6:42am On Feb 01, 2021
uncleteeh:

Exactly.

A lot of people who do copy and paste end up having issues on their projects.

Guess what it’s not very difficult identifying such people. You know them by the questions they ask on this platform.

- Can I use 16mm for my pillars?
- How many length of iron rods will I need for my foundation?
- I want to add... I want to remove...

How do you get the assurance that you’re on the right track with your home design and move forward with confidence if all you do is copy, copy, copy?

Some people have ended up copying other people’s problem in a bid to get cheap plans.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 6:53am On Feb 01, 2021
uncleteeh:

Sir, this is where we get it wrong. Architectural Plans ain't meant to be bought, a design must always be uniquely done for a particular survey plan.

That’s how some people who need off-road trucks end up buying cars they do not need.

For me it’s function over aesthetics anytime.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nero2424: 6:54am On Feb 01, 2021
uncleteeh:

Please share this factors.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 7:27am On Feb 01, 2021
Nero2424:

Too many.

When you buy plans, there’s every tendency you buy inferior plans that do not include all the information necessary to safely build your home.

Unlike the architectural design, structural drawings are not and cannot be designed for universal conditions.

No design can be perfect without input from the homeowner and knowledge of the site.

I can give 3 good examples of projects that I’ve worked on that other people tried to replicate on their land. A lot of challenges were met during the construction phase (expensive cost of foundation, wrong building orientation, building size vs land size etc).

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by uncleteeh(m): 7:35am On Feb 01, 2021
n3xt:

That’s how some people who need off-road trucks end up buying cars they do not need.

For me it’s function over aesthetics anytime.
Good one sir.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by uncleteeh(m): 7:44am On Feb 01, 2021
Nero2424:

Ok. Will share some.
1. Topography of the site.
2. Climatic conditions of the particular area (this is a major condition) otherwise, the whole building will be boring.
3. Nearness to some specific materials.
4. Living conditions of the end users (why will one be putting a lot of steps in a building that will be harbouring aged people or retirees? Ramping most pathways is the best)
5. The financial capacity of a client is also required, it is even the foundation for every design.
Like I said, a lot of factors.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by uncleteeh(m): 7:45am On Feb 01, 2021
n3xt:

Too many.

When you buy plans, there’s every tendency you buy inferior plans that do not include all the information necessary to safely build your home.

Unlike the architectural design, structural drawings are not and cannot designed for universal conditions.

No design can be perfect without input from the homeowner and knowledge of the site.

I can give 3 good examples of projects that I’ve worked on that other people tried to replicate on their land. A lot of challenges were met during the construction phase (expensive cost of foundation, wrong building orientation, building size vs land size etc).
Respect.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 7:54am On Feb 01, 2021
Immediately I finished The Reserve by NextHome, two clients approached me to share the design with them in the same area.

One of them said I want exactly what I’m seeking here. Let’s try and replicate it on my site.

The picture below shows the challenge we went through during the modification of the plan.

The time we spent trying to modify the design to fit the clients land could have been spent working on a fresh design.

Pic 1 - The Reserve by NextHome

Pic 2 - The design couldn’t fit the clients land because of the irregular shape of the plot.

Pic 3 - We tried cutting the building into two.

Pic 4 - We keep trying, trying, trying until we got to 8th layout and eventually had to change the design.

What a waste of precious time and resource!!!

This is just one part of the too many challenges of the project. I’ll try share the structural issue and how a project in the same area ended up costing almost thrice the price of the first build.

I have countless example of projects like these that I can share. It’s worthless picking up drawings online. You’re better off with custom designed homes.

300k would seem a lot but it’ll be worthwhile investment in the long run as it’ll save you headaches and unnecessary challenges.

(1) (2) (3) ... (1963) (1964) (1965) (1966) (1967) (1968) (1969) ... (3670) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: erico2k2(m) and 7 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.