Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,946 members, 7,863,348 topics. Date: Monday, 17 June 2024 at 03:58 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (221) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4506877 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (218) (219) (220) (221) (222) (223) (224) ... (3696) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Akpuoru: 5:36pm On May 08, 2016
Thanks. Let me explore PH first, may look further if need be.
twinskenny:
would have recommend my brother but he is in Lagos...
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by AZUH: 6:17pm On May 08, 2016
I m only asking for solutions . I cAn do it if I know to work on . That is why I uploaded the picture @ fastshipping . Thanks anyway
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 6:21pm On May 08, 2016
AZUH:
I m only asking for solutions . I cAn do it if I know to work on . That is why I uploaded the picture @ fastshipping . Thanks anyway

You've been given at least two solutions:

1) Call a pro, by me

2)
kolnel:

Just like brabus mentioned
Open up gulleys round the house to keep the water away
Palliative measure tho

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by 44chux(m): 7:48pm On May 08, 2016
Chekitaut:
Iron rod selling @ N125,000-130,000/ton

What would be the landing cost to Warri?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by topsy23: 7:51pm On May 08, 2016
Akpuoru:
Hi guys, I have an ongoing project in PH. About to do the plumbing. I need an idea on how to make good choices of the PVC pipes and other plumbing materials in the market. I'll appreciate advice on how to get good and affordable materials. Also, a recommendation for a plumber is appreciated.

Go for UPVC pipe I.e 3.2mm thick if you are doing conduit installation.

Size of pipes to buy

100mm(4inch) pipe for soil and waste
50mm(2inch pipe for waste
32mm(11/4-nch) pipe for water supply
25mm(1inch) pipe for water supply
20mm(3/4inch) pipe for water supply
15mm(1/2inch) pipe for water supply

Thanks

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 9:18pm On May 08, 2016
AZUH:
Please this house has one block up and one block dawn . We where planning going on landscaping but when we find out . One block was used . We got confused. If you are the contractor to this building what will you do ? Thanks

What is the major problem bros?
Do you mean the dpc level is too low from the natural ground level because the height is 225mm?

You have to provide more information about what you want to correct before you can get a good solution
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 9:20pm On May 08, 2016
AZUH:

You have to upload more pictures and state the problem you encountered before we can provide you with solutions
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by AZUH: 10:03pm On May 08, 2016
@abdulwatecx , the problem is this I didn't notice that the dpc of the house was low after plastering inside the house . I find out that was was coming inside each time there is little drop of rain . I talked to the engineer. He said he was sick and didn't know they only used one block for dpc . Now what should I do to stop the water entering into the rooms ? How can I increase the dpc of the house should I go for landscaping even if I know I have only one block left ?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by 44chux(m): 11:52pm On May 08, 2016
AZUH:
@abdulwatecx , the problem is this I didn't notice that the dpc of the house was low after plastering inside the house . I find out that was was coming inside each time there is little drop of rain . I talked to the engineer. He said he was sick and didn't know they only used one block for dpc . Now what should I do to stop the water entering into the rooms ? How can I increase the dpc of the house should I go for landscaping even if I know I have only one block left ?

There is this company in Lagos that claimed it could install some sort of elastomer insulation sheet to insulate my bathroom (and possibly dpc during construction) against moisture when I had the issue of moisture from adjacent bathroom wall causing peeling and discoloration of the paint in the next room.
Talk to them...

http://www.cambiellinigeria.com/
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 12:42am On May 09, 2016
AZUH:
Please this house has one block up and one block dawn . We where planning going on landscaping but when we find out . One block was used . We got confused. If you are the contractor to this building what will you do ? Thanks

This is unfortunate and underscores the need to take seriously the foundation stage of any project.

AZUH if I could get you correctly, the excavation (digging of the foundation) is only one course (coach or one block) deep and the height of the foundation is one course (block) high? Right? Further, despite the shallow foundation, the DPC (German floor) was not done properly so what you are currently experiencing is water seepage from the ground beneath and flood water ingress from the external surroundings since the public road will eventually be higher than your house.

If this is the case, the solution you seek is two fold: a proper DPC and propping up the height of the foundation. While this is a serious problem, you don't need to demolish the building as you may have been advised.

This is what I suggest you should implement with a good builder: build a wrap-around verandah around the building. See below pix.

So you will dig the foundation for the wrap-around verandah properly till you get to a stable soil, blind it as normal and do a minimum three courses (coach) high foundation (I prefer 4 courses if you are in Niger Delta or Lagos) and then do your DPC with nylon minimum 4 inches thick. Now this is where the building skills starts. You will need to float the Wrap-around DPC throughout the house. This will mean you will be breaking the base blocks section by section to prevent collapse so that you can float the DPC through. Wait for that section to dry and then continue. You will need to use metal braces to support the walls.

The result is the wrap-around verandah will be higher than the entrance of the building, and you should sand fill the compound to level with the height of the wrap-around. Now, since the wrap around is now higher than the entrance and possibly now higher than the public road, you should build a step-down step inside the entrance pouch area leading into the living room. So your foundation is now dry and your building is now effectively higher than the road thereby solving the fear of flood. Wrap-Around verandah is very popular in Australia and I'm seriously thinking of such design in my next project God willing.

5 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 12:56am On May 09, 2016
@Diordaves
What an excellent solution. I hope the OP find a good Builder to do this for him. Thanks.

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 1:04am On May 09, 2016
mufutau55:
@Diordaves
What an excellent solution. I hope the OP find a good Builder to do this for him. Thanks.

Hajji M.

I pray he gets it right. It will cost him but its doable. Thanks my brother.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 1:14am On May 09, 2016
diordaves:

This is unfortunate and underscores the need to take seriously the foundation stage of any project.

AZUH if I could get you correctly, the excavation (digging of the foundation) is only one course (coach or one block) deep and the height of the foundation is one course (block) high? Right? Further, despite the shallow foundation, the DPC (German floor) was not done properly so what you are currently experiencing is water seepage from the ground beneath and flood water ingress from the external surroundings since the public road will eventually be higher than your house.

If this is the case, the solution you seek is two fold: a proper DPC and propping up the height of the foundation. While this is a serious problem, you don't need to demolish the building as you may have been advised.

This is what I suggest you should implement with a good builder: build a wrap-around verandah around the building. See below pix.

So you will dig the foundation for the wrap-around verandah properly till you get to a stable soil, blind it as normal and do a minimum three courses (coach) high foundation (I prefer 4 courses if you are in Niger Delta or Lagos) and then do your DPC with nylon minimum 4 inches thick. Now this is where the building skills starts. You will need to float the Wrap-around DPC throughout the house. This will mean you will be breaking the base blocks section by section to prevent collapse so that you can float the DPC through. Wait for that section to dry and then continue. You will need to use metal braces to support the walls.

The result is the wrap-around verandah will be higher than the entrance of the building, and you should sand fill the compound to level with the height of the wrap-around. Now, since the wrap around is now higher than the entrance and possibly now higher than the public road, you should build a step-down step inside the entrance pouch area leading into the living room. So your foundation is now dry and your building is now effectively higher than the road thereby solving the fear of flood. Wrap-Around verandah is very popular in Australia and I'm seriously thinking of such design in my next project God willing.

1) If I didn't do my internal courtyard then I would have done a wrap around porch. I went with internal courtyard because of the Nigerian safety situation.

2) I'm not sure about this solution if the foundation on the inside remains lower than the exterior. It seems that water can still seep from underneath. Unless the water issue is just from the outside.

But one thing that I agree with you on is that the house doesn't need to be demolished.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 1:36am On May 09, 2016
FastShipping:

You need to get professionals in the field to your site and let them take a look, assess and come up with solution. Stop asking for solution through the internet. This is a major problem you have that needs some experts to get involved.
I repeat, get professional to your site to arrest the situation.

@ AZUH, all solutions and suggestions given here still point to the same thing I've told you earlier. Keep the water away from your foundation.

It doesn't take a rocket science to do this. A perimeter drain will solve this issue once and for all. I stopped responding to the whatsapp chats because it seems you have your own solution, you just wanted someone to give you a nod. I've asked you to allow me speak with at least one professional on your site so that we can rub minds but it seems you doubt my proposed solution.

Wraparound will help you deal with surface water but perimeter drain can help you with ground water.
Interestingly you can do this even in the interiors. And it's cheaper than you can ever imagine.

Just do the perimeter drain (internally/externally as you deem fit) and tie everything to a sump. Finish!

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 1:51am On May 09, 2016
Here's uncovered wraparound done to tackle rainwater splash that may touch the foundation wall at my chateau. I just filled it with water-hungry plants.

I didn't end it there, I also painted the lower part of the storey building with damp-proof paint.

6 years running now. No maintenance whatsoever and I have my build in a worse terrain (End of a slope; 4m away from a very big river overflow; and flood zone).

I did everything and anything (aquatic water garden, fish pond, reclamation of 150m2 land from the flood zone, drainages with backflap and even more) to protect my investment by keeping water away from my property.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Chekitaut: 1:51am On May 09, 2016
44chux:

What would be the landing cost to Warri?
Transport is between 200k-250k for max loading of 32tons
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 4:05am On May 09, 2016
@ AZUH, this is another worse challenge that was resolved for a client (Nairalander) in 2012. I believe the house in pic attached is even lower than yours.

The fix that the engineers who visited the site before NextHome suggested was to fill the house, raise the compound slab to throw water outside the compound and put gutters on some areas. Unfortunately, when the sandfill soil beneath the slab gets wet during the raining season, it gets to the building wall, pushes the fence down and constitute a lot of nuisance for the client and his family. I was told the fence fell three times before we were contacted.
The client contacted us in 2012 that he wanted demolish the structure (that's is not only below frost level but appears to be sinking each day with lots of challenges inside the house) and build a new structue; I told he does not have to demolish the building because the issue can still be managed with a right solution.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 4:17am On May 09, 2016
Foundation Problems | Why you should keep water away

Within 3 months, we raised a new structure for the client and broke the compound floor, took off excess sand and introduced perimeter drain at 1.2m depth below the assumed natural ground level, introduced inverted T beam for the 600mm high fence ground beam.

It's almost 5 years now that we implemented this fix, the fence hasn't fallen down and we haven't been called back for any maintenance job bigger than what the clients wife and kids living in the house can manage.

Pic 1: The problems created when too much soil is used to backfill a foundation. Especially laterite fillings.

Pic 2 & 3: The reconstructed fence wall been raised.

Pic 4: The new construction

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by battleaxe: 6:31am On May 09, 2016
@gurus
Please, what is the going/typical rate for say a 1m wide MDF/HDF wardrobe nowadays??

Thanks.

Does anyone have any idea please?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Chekitaut: 6:52am On May 09, 2016
Cheapest now
Call now
Iron rod selling @ N125,000-130,000/ton

Contact us for Granite
Mainland =N130,000/30tons
Island to Ajah roundabout= N140,000/30tons
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 7:29am On May 09, 2016
@ abdulwastecx, since you dey east now. Can you help Hon. AZUH?

Baba Spyder880, Hon. AZUH's project needs attention of a pro. Can you recommend someone to do the job for him in Issele-Uku, Delta State?

KolaShangOne, Segzy14. Is this something you can help out with?

Hon. AZUH, this is a dirty job which requires a pro attention and such job needs good funding. If any of the guys listed above agreed to do this for you, expect a good job with guarantee but it comes at a cost (time and patience). Once they are on site, they'll implement the best solution to the problem. Whatever you read up here is just a probable solution and not a final one. Final solution will be determined based on physical assessment of the issue.

This job no be hurry, hurry job. Accommodation, transportation, logistics, pay package of the visiting engineer must be well discussed before move-in.

Have a great week!
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 7:48am On May 09, 2016
n3xt:
@ abdulwastecx, since you dey east now. Can you help Hon. AZUH?

Baba Spyder880, Hon. AZUH's project needs attention of a pro. Can you recommend someone to do the job for him in Issele-Uku, Delta State?

KolaShangOne, Segzy14. Is this something you can help out with?

Hon. AZUH, this is a dirty job which requires a pro attention and such job needs good funding. If any of the guys listed above agreed to do this for you, expect a good job with guarantee but it comes at a cost (time and patience). Once they are on site, they'll implement the best solution for the problem. Whatever you read up here is just a proposed solution and not a final one.

This job no be hurry, hurry job. Accommodation, transportation, logistics, pay package of the visiting engineer must be well discussed before move-in.

Have a great week!

I no Fit go that area ooooo.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by evergreen9: 7:59am On May 09, 2016
Hello everyone, I would like to know if anyone has an idea on the current price of bath tubs and toilet seats. I hope to get some response asap. smiley
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 8:17am On May 09, 2016
evergreen9:
Hello everyone, I would like to know if anyone has an idea on the current price of bath tubs and toilet seats. I hope to get some response asap. smiley

contact edisani via whatsapp +2347036341294

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 9:16am On May 09, 2016
n3xt:

Within 3 months, we raised a new structure for the client and broke the compound floor, took off excess sand and introduced perimeter drain at 1.2m depth below the assumed natural ground level, introduced inverted T beam for the 600mm high fence ground beam.

It's almost 5 years now that we implemented this fix, the fence hasn't fallen down and we haven't been called back for any maintenance job bigger than what the clients wife and kids living in the house can manage.

Pic 1: The problems created when too much soil is used to backfill a foundation. Especially laterite fillings.

Very good pictures and explanation Mr n3xt.. Back filling sloping terrain with very deep foundation depth create lot of problem to the sancrete block used since this blocks will be retaining these earth.

There was this new store constructed close to one of our site in katampe ( abuja). The depth of the ground floor was around 600mm plus whatever height to the foundation level. The problem started when the store was put into use to store about 800bags of cement. The load of cement couses serious Crack below the dpc level. These failure was due to so active pressure on theses walls

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 10:01am On May 09, 2016
battleaxe:
@gurus
Please, what is the going/typical rate for say a 1m wide MDF/HDF wardrobe nowadays??

Thanks.

Does anyone have any idea please?

The wardrobe will be good 45 - 80k depending on height, design, partitions and material used.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kolnel: 11:00am On May 09, 2016
Pls house,
What chemical can be used to clean out mortal splashes on Aluminium Windows ?
Thanks
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 12:05pm On May 09, 2016
kolnel:
Pls house,
What chemical can be used to clean out mortal splashes on Aluminium Windows ?
Thanks

did you try something like kerosene? saw some cleaners using it on a site sometime ago
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 12:19pm On May 09, 2016
n3xt:
n3xt:
@ AZUH, this is another worse challenge that was resolved for a client (Nairalander) in 2012. I believe the house in pic attached is even lower than yours.

The fix that the engineers who visited the site before NextHome suggested was to fill the house, raise the compound slab to throw water outside the compound and put gutters on some areas. Unfortunately, when the sandfill soil beneath the slab gets wet during the raining season, it gets to the building wall, pushes the fence down and constitute a lot of nuisance for the client and his family. I was told the fence fell three times before we were contacted.
The client contacted us in 2012 that he wanted demolish the structure (that's is not only below frost level but appears to be sinking each day with lots of challenges inside the house) and build a new structue; I told he does not have to demolish the building because the issue can still be managed with a right solution.

N3xt this may be a very good solution but not appropriate for AZUH's terrain. What you proposed is for a water or semi water logged terrain. Though AZUH did not say where this project is located, from the hardcore on the site and the soil type I was able to hazard a guess, but you later in your post confirmed my guess to be Issele-Uku in Delta State.

You should know that this area sits on a sedimentary rock well above sea (River Niger) level. So when it rains, there is hardly any flood because water runs off from high down to the River Niger. This explains why a shallow foundation was executed. So does a shallow foundation works for this area, to a larger extent yes. What AZUH is experiencing is not so much a shallow foundation as a poorly executed DPC. So all that high powered talk of inverted T-beam here and soil excavation there do not fit to this terrain, in fact its an overkill.

I have a proposed mini estate in Oghwashi-Uku of one and two bedrooms. Ogwhashi-Uku is a stone throw to Issele-UKu. In fact they are neighbours (distant cousins if you like). You cannot get borehole water in Ogwashi-Uku, because its on a mountain over looking Asaba and NO FLOODS or soil water retention. Water run-off down to the River Niger is very high.

When I did the prototype foundation for the mini estate, I wanted to do a four-course high foundation because that's what I'm onto building in Warri and Lagos but the project architect, Land Surveyor and structure engineer kicked against this as an overkill. So we settled for a three course high foundation. Please see pix below. In this area, one course foundation is "normal" though not recommended o!

I still think AZUH should wrap the building around and re-do the DPC. If no german floor was done, I'm sure the foundation must have been capped. So he should excavate to the capped point and re-do the DPC again. Shikena!

****Pix are not uploading***** restricted connection travelling underground. I'll try again when I surface.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by AZUH: 1:17pm On May 09, 2016
Thanks @diordaves . The site is at issele-uku and it's same land with ogwashi uku and asaba. How can I re do the dpc ? With pictures if Any ? Thanks
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 1:17pm On May 09, 2016
Oga diordavies, the proposed solution was executed in a terrain similar to Issele-Uku in Ogun state.

I'm talking of Lambe, Ogun state. The terrain can never be waterlogged. I'm so familiar with all those terrain. I've been to Ubulu-Uku and some neighbouring towns including Okpanam. I've been to some tunnels in those area that are hundred of metres below natural ground level. So I know exactly what you're talking about.

However, I believe we are all working together to achieve a common goal though. More reason why a professional who has visited the site or someone who's familiar with the terrain can give the best solution to the problem.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by true2home(m): 4:20pm On May 09, 2016
This is how most structural engineers are trained to design in the US. Its actually the best method of building multilevel accommodations. The only problem i ran into in Nigeria and the application of this method is the lack of steel plants in Nigeria. Hence the expensive cost of importing the needed steel specifications.

EgunMogaji:

Concrete facade covering a bolted inner frame. It's how they do most commercial structures now in California. They put them up unbelievably quick.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (218) (219) (220) (221) (222) (223) (224) ... (3696) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: gbadexy(m)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.