Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,825 members, 7,851,782 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 08:02 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (239) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4481708 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (236) (237) (238) (239) (240) (241) (242) ... (3689) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 4:53pm On May 19, 2016
n3xt:

What a good testimony! Welcome to the biggest joint/classroom on Nairaland. The Proprietor will soon be around to give you an induction course on how to swim the murky waters here.

Madam, nobody marks English here. If you like you got write for your local language.

@ erico2k2, Abeg no put madam for the same class with Mr AZUH o
Wuside. .AZUH dey naughty conner @probation.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 4:54pm On May 19, 2016
olapluto:

This is a rather frivolous generalisation. Ibadan is big. Some streets may have petty thieves, but Ibadan is still very very safe. Which area are you talking about.

I think Ibadan is safe, just as safe as any major city in the world.

KolaShangOne, please tell us the circumstances of these two robberies if you don't mind.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by agarawu23(m): 4:56pm On May 19, 2016
erico2k2:

CheY na lst born dey ask big bros smthing then ask everyone else.so if last born get 6 seniors him go ask 6 people for money to go back school.
Guy your case don dey shift frm Left to conner of left.
oga, free this man joor grin he go waste your list cos his name is appearing too much grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by agarawu23(m): 5:00pm On May 19, 2016
EgunMogaji:

KolaShangOne, please tell us the circumstances of these two robberies if you don't mind.
ibadan cant be like lagos no matter the insecurity. lol i am abandoning lagos to settle in ibadan cheesy

hardlife too much for lag. hold up alone can shorten ones life cheesy

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mavverick: 5:00pm On May 19, 2016
House

Which should be done first.

Electrical fittings
OR
Painting internal & external.

Electrical fittings: Electrician is telling me that nohow, there will be stains on the wall after they are done with the fittings and that painter can come later to do touchup.

It got me thinking, if they do the fittings first, would it not be stained by the painting ?

Any comments welcome.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 5:00pm On May 19, 2016
erico2k2:

CheY na lst born dey ask big bros smthing then ask everyone else.so if last born get 6 seniors him go ask 6 people for money to go back school.
Guy your case don dey shift frm Left to conner of left.

That corner is called "left inside" It's a feminist corner where people spent time talking about problems instead of fixing them... just like a woman!
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 5:07pm On May 19, 2016
KolaShangOne:

Ibadan is largely unsafe. I'm tired. You're not safe at home, at work , on the streets, everywhere. People who have met me know I don't have a lifestyle that exposes me to things like this.

A very good business mentor and owner of GTIN motors (MR Chris) in ibadan was shot dead and his car stolen around Oluyole area of Ibadan on Monday while returning from work. This man fully relocated from Germany 2 years ago to start GTIN motors in Nigeria and now he's dead.

A very rich man, deals in Luxury cars. He should have just stayed back there. If you are abroad and govt is telling you to come back and establish a business here, tell them to provide security first

I'll also add that I'll prefer that they allow responsible citizens to arm themselves.

Arisekola is a richer car dealer but wasn't killed so we have to consider all angles.

There are two people I want to have as arm length friends in Ibadan, not Governor or Police Commisioner, Sunday Osogbo and Fele.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 5:08pm On May 19, 2016
agarawu23:
oga, free this man joor grin he go waste your list cos his name is appearing too much grin grin grin grin grin grin
Na true.E neva tay I go buy new 400 leaves note sef.Motor nearly jam my leg wen I dey cross rd as no fuel grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 5:08pm On May 19, 2016
n3xt:

Advance Payment Guarantee

This is cool!

This is quite good. Because alot of contractors are been owed too and no respite for them. I'm just not sure how this will work for small to medium scale projects.

Bank charges
Project manager from the bank
VAT charges
1 naira on every 1000 naira
Etc..

I've never seen an APG issued on private jobs. But I know it's very possible
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 5:10pm On May 19, 2016
agarawu23:
ibadan cant be like lagos no matter the insecurity. lol i am abandoning lagos to settle in ibadan cheesy

If United flew direct to Ibadan then I'll never set foot in Lagos again.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by agarawu23(m): 5:10pm On May 19, 2016
erico2k2:

Na true.E neva tay I go buy new 400 leaves note sef[b].Motor nearly jam my leg wen I dey cross rd as no fuel[/b] grin
grin grin grin grin grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by agarawu23(m): 5:13pm On May 19, 2016
mavverick:
House

Which should be done first.

Electrical fittings
OR
Painting internal & external.

Electrical fittings: Electrician is telling me that nohow, there will be stains on the wall after they are done with the fittings and that painter can come later to do touchup.

It got me thinking, if they do the fittings first, would it not be stained by the painting ?

Any comments welcome.

baba, do the fittings first, plaster the holes left by the sides of the fittings.
buy paper tape and tape the fittings before painting.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 5:20pm On May 19, 2016
olapluto:

This is a rather frivolous generalisation. Ibadan is big. Some streets may have petty thieves, but Ibadan is still very very safe. Which area are you talking about.

You may say so based on your own experiences. Ibadan is very very big. Even though I love the city, at least 70% of Ibadan is covered with poor people. 10-15% is covered with rich areas where the policemen provide security (Alalubosa GRA, Iyaganku GRA, Bodija Estate etc).

The remaining 10-15% are new developments like Elebu, New Garage, Oluyole Ext, Ologuneru, Alafara, Amuloko etc where average people build.These robbers concentrate on these average areas because there's population explosion and inadequate security.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by 4nobody4every1: 5:22pm On May 19, 2016
EgunMogaji:

My friend forget that one.

Most of us here are not buying into that.
True that,Lol, building a house is not rocket science, the baba mufus of the world are good, my late grandmothers house is more than 50 years old in the village and still standing, built by local artisans during her life time, no structural defect, just the regular cleaning and mopping of all the rooms and yet we have buildings in Nigeria built by quacks and it collapses within 3 or 4 years

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by AZUH: 5:25pm On May 19, 2016
@Anikishaya you abandoned your project when economy was good .so what are you doing here now ? You want to learn how to be your own engineer/ contractor ? Don't let devil use you oh . I have made my point . Thank you .
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by AZUH: 5:31pm On May 19, 2016
@ Erico in my villiage we pay engineers 4k for supervision why won't they misbehave ? 8m is nothing but you must learn how to spend every cent wisely . I will beautify the house I have someone already who is going to help me from here .
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 5:33pm On May 19, 2016
4nobody4every1:
True that,Lol, building a house is not rocket science, the baba mufus of the world are good, my late grandmothers house is more than 50 years old in the village and still standing, built by local artisans during her life time, no structural defect, just the regular cleaning and mopping of all the rooms and yet we have buildings in Nigeria built by quacks and it collapses within 3 or 4 years

Very correct. Even though Baba Mufu knew their limit and they never attempt to walk on water even though they have faith like water-melon.

In the 70s - 80s, only structures built by the river side normally collapse. Who can still remember "Omiyale in Ibadan" in the 80s. Today, we build on waterways, flood zone, swamps for fishing and even block drainages.

Baba mufus never do that. Who agree with me that Baba Mufu came from a generation with common sense.

Baba mufus will use planks instead of concrete for slab. They'll use carpets (budget class), terrazzo (mid-class) and Marble/Granite (high class) to finish their floors instead of tiles with 2" - 3" layers of screeding. They'll use Super 7 lightweight roofing sheet and lesser wood for roofing instead of "send down the rain" and other complexities we put on ourselves.

Brabus

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 5:35pm On May 19, 2016
EgunMogaji:

This last one, I was coming from the mall at Sango, drove through General gas and was heading to a house just before Dizenghoff. I got to the gate of the house I was going to, parked and as I was stepping out, the boys came on a bike and the whole shebang happened around 8pm.

There are also guys that touch the wall of your house and everyone sleeps off. Confirmed Jazz.

We also have car snatches and the likes.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kolnel: 5:43pm On May 19, 2016
n3xt:

Do you care to share some of the safe part of Ibadan? I may be interested to know those areas.

Bro
Lots of places in Ibadan are safe
The few burglars occur in new areas : elebu inside, akobo Oju irin, etc
This are kind of burglars that a Normal german shepherd would deter and it happens most Sunday's mornings or when the occupants are out
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 5:44pm On May 19, 2016
agarawu23:
baba, do the fittings first, plaster the holes left by the sides of the fittings.
buy paper tape and tape the fittings before painting.
seconded

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 5:44pm On May 19, 2016
4nobody4every1:

Very correct. Those people were trained by Oyibo people. Those years, apprentices take 10 years to learn the job not now that some run away from their masters after 6 months and call themselves bricklayers.

I was at Treasure Park estate few weeks back and ALL the Tilers, Bricklayers, Plumbers etc were from Togo. Things have changed my broda. If you are lucky, you get a good Baba Mufu, if you're not, he will use your money to marry a 4th wife.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by sensegiver: 5:47pm On May 19, 2016
kolnel:

Bro
This are kind of burglars that a Normal german shepherd would deter and it happens most Sunday's mornings or when the occupants are out

Don't you think hanging a pirate flag on site will chase the bandits away too?

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by olapluto(m): 5:48pm On May 19, 2016
KolaShangOne:

This last one, I was coming from the mall at Sango, drove through General gas and was heading to a house just before Dizenghoff. I got to the gate of the house I was going to, parked and as I was stepping out, the boys came on a bike and the whole shebang happened around 8pm.

There are also guys that touch the wall of your house and everyone sleeps off. Confirmed Jazz.

Sanyo, General gas, and even up to Bashorun area are all known crime areas. It has been like that for years. I had many land offers to build in Akaran, and I declined due to that.
You will not find robbery in areas like Mokola, Eleyele, Apete, Sango, U.I, Even Ojoo areas. These places are close to the Army and Police HQs. By and large, I can vouch for IB anyday anytime. Ibadan is a cheap place to live, that doesnt mean there is poverty. A person earning 50k in Ibadan may have more that one earning 150k in Lag. Only in Ibadan can you still enter taxi for 20 naira, even Ojoo to Dugbe, you can get for 100 naira, something you will nearly pay 500 naira for in Lagos over same distance.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 5:50pm On May 19, 2016
KolaShangOne:

The Brazil scenario.

Only if Nigeria allowed gun ownership - sigh.

I think I need to start a self defense training outfit in Nigeria.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 5:51pm On May 19, 2016
kolnel:

Bro

I'm interested in knowing the safest parts of Ibadan. Just list them.

agarawu23:

You must be a very strong man to survive 18 months. Or maybe youre not a real Lagos town boy
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 5:52pm On May 19, 2016
@ Olapluto, I read your last comment. I'll allow KolaShangOne to do justice to the comment.

Meanwhile, it may be worthwhile to let you know that KolaShangOne is from Mokola area. Sabo, Ibadan (Mokola area) is the largest market for stolen items in western region. In fact, you'll meet a police officer at every 2 minutes walk in that area.

Do you know the place they call Koto? It's in Mokola. Find out what they do there.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 5:53pm On May 19, 2016
kolnel:

Bro

Or five Dobermans and two Hausa men that gets yearly bonus on top of their salary.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by 4nobody4every1: 5:54pm On May 19, 2016
KolaShangOne:

Very correct. Those people were trained by Oyibo people. Those years, apprentices take 10 years to learn the job not now that some run away from their masters after 6 months and call themselves bricklayers.

I was at Treasure Park estate few weeks back and ALL the Tilers, Bricklayers, Plumbers etc were from Togo. Things have changed my broda. If you are lucky, you get a good Baba Mufu, if you're not, he will use your money to marry a 4th wife.
You are correct, one of the artisan that built my late grand mums house told me he worked with the British during the colonial era as a bricklayer / technician both in lagos / kaduna/ kano state and some part of eastern Nigeria....Lol
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by sensegiver: 5:55pm On May 19, 2016
EgunMogaji:

Or five Dobermans and two Hausa men that gets yearly bonus on top of their salary.

Don't forget your pirate flag sir

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 5:56pm On May 19, 2016
KolaShangOne:

And that's the issue right there.

There are good Baba Mufus out there.

People just like to try to use scare tactics to drum up business.

I hire based on demonstrated experience and not some title.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by anikkyshaya: 5:57pm On May 19, 2016
erico2k2:

Good
You are more than welcome here
In other news where your enrolment fee plus shepe?
Me nah Origin oga EgunMogaji and mufutau55 nah non alcoholic henesey dem dey take
Oga spyder880 na safety boot him need
Brabus he need spider with one eye
AZUH him na motherless ant he need (him case far)
You need to buy 60 leaves note book and on packet of biro
How U see am grin grin

Thanks you for welcoming me to d house, Kindly manage dis token below grin grin

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (236) (237) (238) (239) (240) (241) (242) ... (3689) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Geekop and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.