Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,484 members, 7,830,447 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 10:24 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (2416) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4431808 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2413) (2414) (2415) (2416) (2417) (2418) (2419) ... (3675) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 12:48am On Aug 29, 2021
EgunMogaji2:

I was at Iwo road for tiles yesterday. I think I’ll use naija tiles in some of my bedrooms.

On the right is a Chinese import, N4,700, on the left is its Nigerian counterpart from Goodwill factory, N2,300.

You can guess the one I loaded for one of my ongoing projects grin

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 12:50am On Aug 29, 2021
spyder880:

Nice one Sir, do you know I still have rolls of binding wires I bought for N5,200 still in my stock till today?
I still have some high quality cables bought for a third of what they are selling for in today's market, I can afford to charge lower on some jobs because I have old stock. That's better than any kind of savings.

I’ve always payed attention to what you care to share with us Oga mi.

I missed the boat on my central water heater. When I originally priced it before Covid it was N40K. I bought it a few months ago for N55K, yes the N15K won’t kill me but it adds up. Especially on something that won’t cost anything to store.

Thanks our Professor.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 12:52am On Aug 29, 2021
n3xt:

Yeah! I love shopping for great furnitures but not so fond of putting everything together from scratch.

I’m bosundavies. Not diordavies. grin

The self assembly is what gets some people. Not everyone looks forward to the assembly bit. There is an IKEA assembly industry. You get IKEA and then call for paid assembly. But most don't mind. They even look forward to the assembly as a welcome challenge.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 12:54am On Aug 29, 2021
spyder880:

On the right is a Chinese import, N4,700, on the left is its Nigerian counterpart from Goodwill factory, N2,300.

You can guess the one I loaded for one of my ongoing projects grin

I have a concern and need advice.

Why did some naija tiles that I used appear to be different in color even after fully drying? Only the wall tiles though.

How do I avoid this and what brand should I stick with?

Thanks.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 1:02am On Aug 29, 2021
n3xt:

You can also check out il bagno website for inspiration.

https://ilbagnonigeria.com/

How do you even come across these places? grin

Money is sweet o.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 1:03am On Aug 29, 2021
EgunMogaji2:

I have a concern and need advice.

Why did some naija tiles that I used appear to be different in color even after fully drying? Only the wall tiles though.

How do I avoid this and what brand should I stick with?

Thanks.

I think its batch differences, it happens in many products like tiles and paints. Sometimes, a range of items produced by a shift will tend to be different in either texture, taste or colour from the others of the same company. It happens because of lack of attention to mixing ratios before production, or because of finish stages not adequately supervised. A lower or higher temperature of heat in a kiln or oven could make two products made on the same day to turn out differently.

In my former company where I worked, we had a whole department called quickly control department. They are tasked with making sure every product is identical in both taste and look. I dont know if other companies adhere to such type of scrutiny before pushing their products into the market. That might be why we are seeing some tiles that are changing colour after they are laid.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 1:23am On Aug 29, 2021
spyder880:

I think its batch differences, it happens in many products like tiles and paints. Sometimes, a range of items produced by a shift will tend to be different in either texture, taste or colour from the others of the same company. It happens because of lack of attention to mixing ratios before production, or because of finish stages not adequately supervised. A lower or higher temperature of heat in a kiln or oven could make two products made on the same day to turn out differently.

In my former company where I worked, we had a whole department called quickly control department. They are tasked with making sure every product is identical in both taste and look. I dont know if other companies adhere to such type of scrutiny before pushing their products into the market. That might be why we are seeing some tiles that are changing colour after they are laid.

What’s the best way forward Sir? Thanks.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Gigaset: 2:36am On Aug 29, 2021
Am really enjoying the IKEA discussion grin i wish people in Nigeria can see the way things are been done over here, @ diordaves,EgunMogaji2 thanks for enlightening people the advantages of IKEA

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Jeff68: 2:46am On Aug 29, 2021
diordaves:

Of course is your experience and preference. But Haverty's and IKEA are in a different market segment.

Our Prime Minister Boris Johnson when he got into office, he met IKEA furnishings done by the former Prime Minister Theresa May. His then girl friend wasn't a fan of IKEA, so they cleared out the IKEA furnishings and replaced everything with John Lewis furnishings from borrowed funds. He got into trouble. Not only because he had to borrow funds from anonymous sources but also from those who swear by IKEA.

So yes. Some people can't do IKEA mostly because of the self assembly but not because IKEA is substandard. That's not my experience of over the years.

Ok, again preference grin grin ; Honestly, I am not handy, so, hence my personal distaste for IKEA, I would radar buy what’s already put together and sturdy.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by sonnie10: 3:04am On Aug 29, 2021
EgunMogaji2:

What’s the best way forward Sir? Thanks.

When installing, take from different packs. Although the difference will be there, but it won’t be very obvious as they are not together.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by michlins(m): 4:51am On Aug 29, 2021
Nero2424:

It seems you don't think prices will drop if Naira is able to appreciate in few weeks or even month. I might have to buy wires too since I'll be needing them shortly.
trust me you're so wrong. The prices won't drop again. That's why I usually tell people that if you have the funds,buy everything that you can store. You will be saving a whole lot of money
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 5:16am On Aug 29, 2021
EgunMogaji2:

Concierge: Since what you ordered is EXACTLY what you’ll get (no ordering 36” and getting 31” nonsense) it makes it easier to have a 3rd party design, buy, deliver and assemble cabinets. No ambiguity. NONE.

Thanks for attending my TedTalk grin

The above is partly true.

What you ordered is not what you get. Below is what I ordered.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 5:18am On Aug 29, 2021
This is what I got.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 5:34am On Aug 29, 2021
diordaves:

The self assembly is what gets some people. Not everyone looks forward to the assembly bit. There is an IKEA assembly industry. You get IKEA and then call for paid assembly. But most don't mind. They even look forward to the assembly as a welcome challenge.

Pretty easy and straightforward when you’re putting together one or two wardrobes.

Imagine the huge cost when you have to engage professional installers to assemble 8 kitchen and 24 wardrobes.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 5:37am On Aug 29, 2021
EgunMogaji2:

How do you even come across these places? grin

Money is sweet o.

It’s coming from my years of working in the upscale market.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 5:54am On Aug 29, 2021
michlins:
trust me you're so wrong. The prices won't drop again. That's why I usually tell people that if you have the funds,buy everything that you can store. You will be saving a whole lot of money

I recently did some furniture projects. All the accessories used were gotten from my store.

I bought them 2014.
________

During our shower cubicle discussion, I remember sharing that I still have about 3 sheets of 10mm glass in my store.
________

A few months ago, I shared picture of a shower enclosure I kept in my store since 2011. I’ve even forgotten I kept it there.
________

I have electrical wires enough to complete wiring of 3 buildings stocked up in my store.

As a matter of fact, I don’t go to the market just for few items I buy more for keep.

_________

Some weeks ago, a friend here asked me to help him get some brushed nickel door lock and stainless steel handle.

I ended up buying some for keep.
_________

Just last night, my kids showed me 13 replacement keys kept in a box at home.

You save more when you buy things in advance.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Jasobry: 6:05am On Aug 29, 2021
spyder880:

Coca-Cola

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 6:12am On Aug 29, 2021
I still keep most of these wall sconce that I bought several years ago.

I think I ordered 130 pcs back then.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 6:14am On Aug 29, 2021
When it comes to service cables, I buy them in reels for future projects.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Greenarrow01(m): 6:17am On Aug 29, 2021
the main reason why IKEA or any company will fail in Nigeria is lack of business template or should I say policy or structure

This govt will come
Make this policy, after two years the same govt will change that policy�� or another govt will come and make new rules
For example, why should anyone be paying money to any family just to buy land or build house. After all you paid for the land. And the money is going to a family, not govt.
And govt has allowed this to go on for as long as possible.
Imagine IKEA making delivery to your street. But they have to settle touts by your street gate, another set of touts will be by your house while they are offloading
Secondly
We have no action plan
Govt should have a plan of things that will be don in the next ten years.
On this issue of naira falling
We have no olan to either rescue the naira or do anything
Lastly
Anybody can come with bills and tax you
Anybody
Local govt. State. Individual
For my sch building
I pay local govt for dirt and refuse. Something I take care of myself without their help. A sch that is non for profit in a northern village
Trust me, if you don't pay wahala

You can't even sue govt to court. You will lose
Everything is just set up to make people fail everything
It's like a well calculated effort to keep people at the poverty level

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 6:27am On Aug 29, 2021
Greenarrow01:

Our society and markets are getting the results which it was designed for. These aren’t the results we actually want but we have no choice.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by dongc(m): 6:33am On Aug 29, 2021
Jeff68:

Personally, I hate IKEA furnitures, it’s cheap and substandard.

They are cheap....yes ....because they produce and source what they sell as cheap as possible...
Calling it substandard is absolutely bunkers.... do you know products must meet certain standards for each and every country they sell their products ??

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Greenarrow01(m): 6:42am On Aug 29, 2021
n3xt:

Our society and markets are getting the results which it was designed for. These aren’t the results we actually want but we have no choice.

May God help us

Nigeria would have been the best place in afric for business
We have the population
The whole country landmass is not big at all
We are densely parked together.
But sha

It is well

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by dongc(m): 6:47am On Aug 29, 2021
rmx:

I think they will struggle , doing business in Nigeria is not as straight forward as it seems

Shoprite selling groceries and everyday need, necessities , could not stand the heat

Game just announced they will be exiting nigeria

Well I don't know how you can know this without them trying...any foreign company would have done their assignment before arriving...we know already major issues for foreign companies....

currency volatility, double-digit inflation, high import duties and dollar-based rentals and repatriation..
If they know this above and still shook head...

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 6:56am On Aug 29, 2021
topsy23:

Oga mi below is the sample of grid switch recently installed for a client in Lekki, We introduce it to him and he love it. We have all the sockets, Cooker control unit, cooker hood, AC and water heater connected to the grid switch, all the appliances have a central switching. Each knob have different rating from 10A, 20A and 45A

10A is controlling the lighting
20A controlling the AC, Water heater, Socket
45A for cooker unit.

Your kitchen equipment will determine the number of ways to be installed

The reason why we have 12 ways installed for this client is because:

1 knob for Light
5nos. of 13A socket connected
1no AC connected
1no Water heater connected
1no cooker unit connected
1no cooker hood connected

Total appliance connected is 10
The remaining 2 knob serves as spares

Isn't this gonna work same as those CB switches on the DB? Only that this time, you'd don't have to open the DB to control them.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 7:17am On Aug 29, 2021
Gigaset:
Am really enjoying the IKEA discussion grin i wish people in Nigeria can see the way things are been done over here, @ diordaves,EgunMogaji2 thanks for enlightening people the advantages of IKEA

You’re welcome.

I got a small contract back in Dallas as a side hustle to install about 500 cabinets. Not one screw or nail was missing, no holes out of place, everything was there, everything.

From my own first purchase in 1990 of an entertainment center I was hooked.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by GreenArrow1(m): 7:21am On Aug 29, 2021
n3xt:

cc: Greenarrow1

Wrong mention. Think you meant Greenarrow01

Note the "zero" before 1.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 7:24am On Aug 29, 2021
Greenarrow01:
the main reason why IKEA or any company will fail in Nigeria is lack of business template or should I say policy or structure

This govt will come
Make this policy, after two years the same govt will change that policy�� or another govt will come and make new rules
For example, why should anyone be paying money to any family just to buy land or build house. After all you paid for the land. And the money is going to a family, not govt.
And govt has allowed this to go on for as long as possible.
Imagine IKEA making delivery to your street. But they have to settle touts by your street gate, another set of touts will be by your house while they are offloading
Secondly
We have no action plan
Govt should have a plan of things that will be don in the next ten years.
On this issue of naira falling
We have no olan to either rescue the naira or do anything
Lastly
Anybody can come with bills and tax you
Anybody
Local govt. State. Individual
For my sch building
I pay local govt for dirt and refuse. Something I take care of myself without their help. A sch that is non for profit in a northern village
Trust me, if you don't pay wahala

You can't even sue govt to court. You will lose
Everything is just set up to make people fail everything

Oyo state government doesn’t pick up trash in the area where I live. So we employed a private company that picks up the trash. All of a sudden it became illegal for the private company to pick up trash. So now I’m forced to burn trash like a villager inside one of the most populous cities in Africa. All because of bad government.

5 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by topsy23: 7:27am On Aug 29, 2021
EgunMogaji2:

This is interesting. But the wiring has to have been considered from inception.

Yes we considered the wiring from the conduit stage . It's nice in the kitchen, open office and also in the event hall.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 7:27am On Aug 29, 2021
n3xt:
This is what I got.

If it’s from iKea then you knew in advance nau grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 7:29am On Aug 29, 2021
GreenArrow1:

Wrong mention. Think you meant Greenarrow01

Note the "zero" before 1.

Interesting! Thanks for letting me know.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 7:29am On Aug 29, 2021
topsy23:

Yes we considered the wiring from the conduit stage . It's nice in the kitchen, open office and also in the event hall.

Nice.

I’ll be doing similar but with automation via voice control via Alexa.

(1) (2) (3) ... (2413) (2414) (2415) (2416) (2417) (2418) (2419) ... (3675) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.