Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,225 members, 7,829,374 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 05:37 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (2417) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4429481 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2414) (2415) (2416) (2417) (2418) (2419) (2420) ... (3674) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by topsy23: 7:30am On Aug 29, 2021
KolaShangOne:

Isn't this gonna work same as those CB switches on the DB? Only that this time, you'd don't have to open the DB to control them.

This is different from circuit breaker. This is a switch. Circuit breaker is to protecting your appliances
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 7:32am On Aug 29, 2021
Jeff68:

Ok, again preference grin grin ; Honestly, I am not handy, so, hence my personal distaste for IKEA, I would radar buy what’s already put together and sturdy.

You can also get other things like lights, cutleries, etc from them.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 7:39am On Aug 29, 2021
EgunMogaji2:

If it’s from iKea then you knew in advance nau grin

I kuku know grin

It wasn’t funny when one of my client here ordered his furnitures abroad for multi-dwelling apartment only to pay almost half the cost to assemble here locally.
- 88 doors
- 12 kitchen

The worse part is that we had to build matching frames for it locally because they won’t ship the kind of frame we need in our local build.

_______

Another reason why I’m taken aback on foreign furnitures is because of the experience of another member of this thread who bought 40 doors from a friend in Turkey.
For reasons best known to him, the doors weren’t installed in 2 years

You need to see how terrible the doors has become when he was set to install them. Rodents love packaged furnitures here.

A visit to most of the furniture shops here will reveal a lot to you.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by topsy23: 7:42am On Aug 29, 2021
n3xt:

Congrats Topsy23!

Thanks boss

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 8:10am On Aug 29, 2021
Today it is Electricity Tariff

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 8:17am On Aug 29, 2021
topsy23:

Thanks boss

With the increase in the cost of cable and electricity tarrif, what does the future hold for the common man?

What cheaper alternatives are out there to explore?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Born2conquer: 8:17am On Aug 29, 2021
n3xt:
Custom Kitchen Furniture, Lagos from my baby brother and archipenter, Arc Chris Mc James.

https://youtube.com/shorts/Yr0bEvbltAk?feature=share

Note: This ain’t 3D
How much would something like this cost

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by michlins(m): 8:20am On Aug 29, 2021
Greenarrow01:
the main reason why IKEA or any company will fail in Nigeria is lack of business template or should I say policy or structure

This govt will come
Make this policy, after two years the same govt will change that policy�� or another govt will come and make new rules
For example, why should anyone be paying money to any family just to buy land or build house. After all you paid for the land. And the money is going to a family, not govt.
And govt has allowed this to go on for as long as possible.
Imagine IKEA making delivery to your street. But they have to settle touts by your street gate, another set of touts will be by your house while they are offloading
Secondly
We have no action plan
Govt should have a plan of things that will be don in the next ten years.
On this issue of naira falling
We have no olan to either rescue the naira or do anything
Lastly
Anybody can come with bills and tax you
Anybody
Local govt. State. Individual
For my sch building
I pay local govt for dirt and refuse. Something I take care of myself without their help. A sch that is non for profit in a northern village
Trust me, if you don't pay wahala

You can't even sue govt to court. You will lose
Everything is just set up to make people fail everything
It's like a well calculated effort to keep people at the poverty level
let me sum it up for you. Nigeria is meant to frustrate you

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 8:20am On Aug 29, 2021
Born2conquer:

How much would something like this cost

I can link you up with the designer if you don’t mind.

He’s an architect/builder/professional woodworker.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Born2conquer: 8:21am On Aug 29, 2021
n3xt:

I can link you up with the designer if you don’t mind.

He’s an architect/builder/professional woodworker.
Okay Boss, when we are ready to resume

This is the kinda standard i want

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by michlins(m): 8:22am On Aug 29, 2021
n3xt:

I kuku know grin

It wasn’t funny when one of my client here ordered his furnitures abroad for multi-dwelling apartment only to pay almost half the cost to assemble here locally.
- 88 doors
- 12 kitchen

The worse part is that we had to build matching frames for it locally because they won’t ship the kind of frame we need in our local build.

_______

Another reason why I’m taken aback on foreign furnitures is because of the experience of another member of this thread who bought 40 doors from a friend in Turkey.
For reasons best known to him, the doors weren’t installed in 2 years

You need to see how terrible the doors has become when he was set to install them. Rodents love packaged furnitures here.

A visit to most of the furniture shops here will reveal a lot to you.
about foreign doors, you just wish the keys don't fail when you're still inside the room
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 8:26am On Aug 29, 2021
Born2conquer:

Okay Boss, when we are ready to resume

This is the kinda standard i want

You can pm me for the contact of the designer.

_________

When the young man met me at NextHome H52 in 2015, I told him “I’m not going to employ you because your gifts will open doors for you.”

His finishing is out of this world.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 8:27am On Aug 29, 2021
michlins:
about foreign doors, you just wish the keys don't fail when you're still inside the room

That’s very easy na... we will just call you.

Why are you in business? grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 8:40am On Aug 29, 2021
spyder880:

On the right is a Chinese import, N4,700, on the left is its Nigerian counterpart from Goodwill factory, N2,300.

You can guess the one I loaded for one of my ongoing projects grin
The Nigerian one ahah

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by megacontrol(m): 8:46am On Aug 29, 2021
Thanks sir.

spyder880:

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 8:53am On Aug 29, 2021
n3xt:
Today it is Electricity Tariff

The kickback is not necessarily an increase in cost but that there’ll be no corresponding increase in service. We’re enjoying relatively low utility costs in Nigeria.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Greenarrow01(m): 8:58am On Aug 29, 2021
EgunMogaji2:

The kickback is not necessarily an increase in cost but that there’ll be no corresponding increase in service. We’re enjoying relatively low utility costs in Nigeria.
But pooooooor service

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 8:58am On Aug 29, 2021
n3xt:

You can pm me for the contact of the designer.

_________

When the young man met me at NextHome H52 in 2015, I told him “I’m not going to employ you because your gifts will open doors for you.”

His finishing is out of this world.

Some people really get professionalism and taking pride of ownership. All the colors are spot on and matching. I’ve seen some shyte on here that looks like a kids coloring contest cool

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 9:02am On Aug 29, 2021
Greenarrow01:

But pooooooor service

That’s why they’re charging us low grin grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abuiltech(m): 9:06am On Aug 29, 2021
EgunMogaji2:

Is it possible for Nigerians to boycott their services by finding cheaper alternative means perhaps they will get sense,

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 9:08am On Aug 29, 2021
EgunMogaji2:

Some people really get professionalism and taking pride of ownership. All the colors are spot on and matching. I’ve seen some shyte on here that looks like a kids coloring contest cool

The bolded part though.

Baba, dont kill me pls

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by michlins(m): 9:12am On Aug 29, 2021
abuiltech:

Is it possible for Nigerians to boycott their services by finding cheaper alternative means perhaps they will get sense,
boycott what?

Power is still in the exclusive list of the Federal government if I remember correctly. There's a number which a state government can generate and anything above that transferred to the national grid.

Having said that,if you think you want to go solar, it's very expensive. That's how someone advised me to go solar at my workshop. When he's done with his maths,it happened that I will need above 300,000 to power only the angle grinder. I laughed at him tire
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 9:20am On Aug 29, 2021
Gigaset:
Am really enjoying the IKEA discussion grin i wish people in Nigeria can see the way things are been done over here, @ diordaves,EgunMogaji2 thanks for enlightening people the advantages of IKEA

Abi na. It is shops like IKEA, Screwfix and various building merchants like Wickes why I can no longer step into ANY Nigerian market from Onitsha down to Alaba. Over the years living overseas, I have lost the skill to negotiate a chaotic and disorderly environment that are Nigerian markets and building merchants. And the dirt and mud and open sewage and miscreants and never do wells. I can't do this anymore. I have paid my dues.

So if I've got a project going, I just pay people to negotiate the disorderliness to buy materials or just call some tested Nairaland suppliers to deliver. I can't go to market to buy materials myself.

Contrast this when you step into IKEA. The orderliness, the transparency of price, the certainty of your purchase, the staging of the furniture to give you ideas on how to solve any furnishings problem at home. From kitchen to bathroom to living room to kids room and even how to showcase your 7.2 AV Receiver, your surround sound speakers and your TV stand or display unit, IKEA got it all covered.

It is sometimes a family day out visiting IKEA. After all the shopping, the family just go to the kitchen (restaurant) and do breakfast or lunch or dinner as the case may be. This orderliness for my family is priceless.

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 9:20am On Aug 29, 2021
michlins:
boycott what?

Power is still in the exclusive list of the Federal government if I remember correctly. There's a number which a state government can generate and anything above that transferred to the national grid.

Having said that,if you think you want to go solar, it's very expensive. That's how someone advised me to go solar at my workshop. When he's done with his maths,it happened tha[b]t I will need above 300,000 to power only the angle grinder[/b]. I laughed at him tire
ahahahhhaha grin grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 9:22am On Aug 29, 2021
n3xt:

That’s why they’re charging us low grin grin
make dem install pay as you go meter end of story!

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 9:24am On Aug 29, 2021
michlins:
boycott what?

Having said that,if you think you want to go solar, it's very expensive. That's how someone advised me to go solar at my workshop. When he's done with his maths,it happened that I will need above 300,000 to power only the angle grinder. I laughed at him tire

I’d advice you invest in cordless power tools and get 2 to 3 spare batteries.

You’d be glad you did.

_________

You can charge them up at home, clients’ site or anywhere you can get electricity.

By this you minimize downtimes.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by michlins(m): 9:32am On Aug 29, 2021
n3xt:

I’d advice you invest in cordless power tools and get 2 to 3 spare batteries.

You’d be glad you did.

_________

You can charge them up at home, clients’ site or anywhere you can get electricity.

By this you minimize downtimes.
how many times do I work at client site. To charge it at home, I will need NEPA again. But with the generator I have at workshop and daily diesel of 2000-3000, I can power all my tools and welding machine.

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Greenarrow01(m): 9:33am On Aug 29, 2021
erico2k2:

make dem install pay as you go meter end of story!

They won't
It is on purpose
They don't want to install pay as you go meter

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Greenarrow01(m): 9:36am On Aug 29, 2021
michlins:
how many times do I work at client site. To charge it at home, I will need NEPA again. But with the generator I have at workshop and daily diesel of 2000-3000, I can power all my tools and welding machine.
Don't you have NEPA at home
They are right with cordless tools
Don't be to archaic.
Most times people have light all Through the night
Have a small setup for Charging like 3-4 extra batteries for your tools
Moving generator up and down is not it

Secondly the sound
I hate gen sound.
Thirdly. The 3k you spend on fuel and then the servicing

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 9:39am On Aug 29, 2021
michlins:

And when the gen require servicing, all your tools won’t work until you have your gen back up.

When you have offsite jobs, you’ll have to rent generator for something you can just do with a cordless tool.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 9:42am On Aug 29, 2021
Greenarrow01:

Don't you have NEPA at home
They are right with cordless tools
Don't be to archaic.
Most times people have light all Through the night
Have a small setup for Charging like 3-4 extra batteries for your tools
Moving generator up and down is not it

Secondly the sound
I hate gen sound.
Thirdly. The 3k you spend on fuel and then the servicing

There are few things you can’t do without a generator.

Welding machine.

But no be all the time we dey weld. We spend more time cutting, grinding and drilling than we do welding.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Greenarrow01(m): 9:46am On Aug 29, 2021
n3xt:

There are few things you can’t do without a generator.

Welding machine.

But no be all the time we dey weld. We spend more time cutting, grinding and drilling than we do welding.

Ooh
Now I understand
Apologies michlins

(1) (2) (3) ... (2414) (2415) (2416) (2417) (2418) (2419) (2420) ... (3674) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: obago(m)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.