Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,167 members, 7,811,384 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 10:42 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (2574) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4373210 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2571) (2572) (2573) (2574) (2575) (2576) (2577) ... (3663) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by michlins(m): 8:45pm On Nov 13, 2021
KolaShangOne:

There will be fight o..

I paid 500k to cover about 147 bags of cement.

Needed it this week and they only supplied 135 bags because price increased from 3400 to 4000.

After all the whole back n forth.. they gave me only 6 bags more..
where una dey talk this?

You're doing business with my funds for months without giving me interests and you want to tell me you won't supply my goods
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 9:13pm On Nov 13, 2021
michlins:
where una dey talk this?

You're doing business with my funds for months without giving me interests and you want to tell me you won't supply my goods

After all the wahala, if the seller says he's not selling again and refunds your money..

What will you do?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Olusojisorunmu(m): 9:14pm On Nov 13, 2021
somehow:

To whom it may concern.

@spyder880

I wish you handle projects in Lagos.

Have some projects to start very soon
Honest people in Nigeria are almost going into extinction.

Aventures is your best plug Sir.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by multikolour(m): 9:30pm On Nov 13, 2021
somehow:

I didn't pick the plumber/electrician that did the conduit piping. Everyone (or most) on this thread know the history of the project.
one word next

5 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by multikolour(m): 9:36pm On Nov 13, 2021
Please house I need input on this, help me criticise with reason and provide solutions not just condemn and no solutions.
Thank you

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 9:46pm On Nov 13, 2021
Olusojisorunmu:

wanted to say this

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by BrickDevo: 10:15pm On Nov 13, 2021
temizeee:
Why is flat roof design/hidden roof not really common concept of roofing in this country… they seem cool and elegant…
plenty for lagos here

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by michlins(m): 10:20pm On Nov 13, 2021
KolaShangOne:

After all the wahala, if the seller says he's not selling again and refunds your money..

What will you do?
With or without interest?

See eh, it's good to be a gentleman in business but don't forget how to be mad to drive home a point
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by BrickDevo: 10:26pm On Nov 13, 2021
multikolour:
Please house I need input on this, help me criticise with reason and provide solutions not just condemn and no solutions.
Thank you
Nice design but the dining location not good.
I feel it was placed in the lobby made for movement
Thus during movement it will be hard, imagine when you pull out the chairs to eat,

Solution just redesign, or live with it if you don't mind

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by multikolour(m): 10:30pm On Nov 13, 2021
BrickDevo:

Nice design but the dining location not good.
I feel it was placed in the lobby made for movement
Thus during movement it will be hard, imagine when you pull out the chairs to eat,

Solution just redesign, or live with it if you don't mind
noted and thank you sir

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by BrickDevo: 10:34pm On Nov 13, 2021
multikolour:
Thank you
The first room by the right, maybe you are trying to make the occupant feel like a master, but just remove the additional wardrobe space, then move the opening as indicated, that will provide space for lobby movement and leave a dedicated space for the dining.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kopell: 11:08pm On Nov 13, 2021
Olusojisorunmu:

Supported, very humble gentleman if is not engage. He’s always engage, there are a couple of them. Do your due diligence, scroll five years back on the thread and read more about many of these guys. There are couple of them.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by multikolour(m): 11:17pm On Nov 13, 2021
BrickDevo:

The first room by the right, maybe you are trying to make the occupant feel like a master, but just remove the additional wardrobe space, then move the opening as indicated, that will provide space for lobby movement and leave a dedicated space for the dining.
also noted sir and I really appreciate your input

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by dongc(m): 11:26pm On Nov 13, 2021
kopell:
Wow are you serious 0.35 that’s like a thickness of aluminum foil unbelievable, I have never used any less then 0.55 thickness. An interested subject issue to discuss. Lets
have deep view about it from the experts in the house. I have always wondering about the thickness of those aluminum under the stones coats and the weights, again why are some of them faded? Are those ones not original. I’ve not seen any faded or defects ones in west despite the fact they have the most harsh weather in there climates. Many of them has been installed for over 70 years without any maintenance, still looks good till date.

Sorry for the  Long post
I did ask that question because I do wonder the kind of advice home owners do get from builders...
1.are perspective home owners getting the right advice
2.are overzealous builders just demanding for certain materials because it is what building demands or what they demand etc
3.what does building code say(non existent in some cases)

i don't work anymore with roofing today but I still have contact with my old mentors who are private roofing contractors and one still work at one of the companies respectively...
First stint as IT student...and after uni... worked 6years before moving for greener pastures ...
I have worked with two of best aluminium companies in Nigeria and have climbed over 250 roofs even industrial buildings with steel trusses...while most of our roofings are southern part of the country...I dont remember any 0,55 quotations with my name(company quotations are co-signed) on it which are not
1.steel trusses
2.industrial building's wall claddings
3.flatroof with slightly above 10-15% pitch
4.where customer insist or makes that request .

Money is not first instance of what customers gets...
1. Heights
2.roofing styles
2.environmental conditions;rain and winds etc...

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nero2424: 12:00am On Nov 14, 2021
sonnie10:

You have a good dealer. Around April this year I paid for 600 bags of cement at #3200 at a dealer to pick up in July. At pick up, price changed to 4K. and the dealer insisted on the difference, which we paid. Like they would say, we moved!
Since then, any material I can’t take right away, I don’t bother with it.

Are you saying he had your 1.92M with him for 3 months, Made turnovers with it and still charged you at an increased price rate at the time of pickup?

No na... I no go gree. Is either you pay me back my money with 25% APR or give me at the old rate.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 2:30am On Nov 14, 2021
dongc:

Sorry for the  Long post
I did ask that question because I do wonder the kind of advice home owners do get from builders...
1.are perspective home owners getting the right advice
2.are overzealous builders just demanding for certain materials because it is what building demands or what they demand etc
3.what does building code say(non existent in some cases)

i don't work anymore with roofing today but I still have contact with my old mentors who are private roofing contractors and one still work at one of the companies respectively...
First stint as IT student...and after uni... worked 6years before moving for greener pastures ...
I have worked with two of best aluminium companies in Nigeria and have climbed over 250 roofs even industrial buildings with steel trusses...while most of our roofings are southern part of the country...I dont remember any 0,55 quotations with my name(company quotations are co-signed) on it which are not
1.steel trusses
2.industrial building's wall claddings
3.flatroof with slightly above 10-15% pitch
4.where customer insist or makes that request

Money is not first instance of what customers gets...
1. Heights
2.roofing styles
2.environmental conditions;rain and winds etc...

A client once asked for 0.7mm for his roof. I gave him a sample of a complete 0.55mm, he said “Yes this is better! Let’s do it. “ He does not know the difference.

A simple research of what’s obtainable in other countries can help though.

Meanwhile, it was SON that mandated 0.55mm (NIS 448:2004) as minimum standard while trying to control influx of substandard aluminum roofing sheets into the country.

In 2019, SON revalidates the 1989 NIS code (NIS 180) that specifies 0.15mm as minimum standard.

Read up more on NIS codes

#GenuineThickness
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by DFAMEGUY11S(m): 3:31am On Nov 14, 2021

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 4:55am On Nov 14, 2021
somehow:
Most of them are leaking/broken.
Some were installed wrongly too.

The most affected of the conduit pipes are those for electrical wires.

Truly sorry to read this mate.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by sonnie10: 5:02am On Nov 14, 2021
Nero2424:

Are you saying he had your 1.92M with him for 3 months, Made turnovers with it and still charged you at an increased price rate at the time of pickup?

No na... I no go gree. Is either you pay me back my money with 25% APR or give me at the old rate.
How would you enforce this? Considering our justice system and for the fact you are trying to claim only a total of #100k in interest, it’s not worth the stress.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 6:00am On Nov 14, 2021
KolaShangOne:

What will you do?

I had a similar experience early this year. I bought some cement and told our CP I wanted it in a location near me.

Unfortunately I didn’t pickup when I’m supposed to pick it because we had a change of plan on the project I intended to use it.

3 months later, the price had gone up and I asked for the cements. They didn’t argue with me. They just told me they've ran out of stock and that I should wait or go to pick up at their warehouse several kilometer away from me.

Some issues aren’t really worth the stress in my view.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 6:08am On Nov 14, 2021
KolaShangOne:

What will you do?

Oga Kola, good morning my chairman. How is your side. Well done.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 6:10am On Nov 14, 2021
sonnie10:

How would you enforce this? Considering our justice system and for the fact you are trying to claim only a total of #100k in interest, it’s not worth the stress.

Except you’re going to take laws into your hand, I don’t think anything can/will happen if the customer is offering a refund.

Who’d pay the cost of warehousing the goods for the number of months it stayed in his/her store?
Who pays the cost of securing the goods?

Is the storekeeper a bank that pay interests?

________

Just as @spyder880 advised earlier, only do this with merchants that you’ve had good business relationship with and be willing to make some concessions too.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 6:28am On Nov 14, 2021
I have been reading some of our submissions about the possibility of paying for materials with the intention of picking it up later, and the fear that the sellers may refuse to release your complete quantities, or insist on refunding your money and I am getting increasingly shocked here. When has Nigeria become that bad?

I give someone a large deposit running into several millions and he is making some transactions with my money, with the understanding that they will give me my supplies at our agreed price, and I walk in 3 to 6 months later and the dealer refuses to supply me because prices has changed, why did I pay you in the first place? I paid you to hedge on inflation.

In my experience, the dealers are happy that I pay early, they immediately deploy the funds and order heavier quantities and stock them. Most of my dealers are heavy stockists, offloading trailers and in a day. I have a dealer who offload up to 5 long trucks of cement in a day, pay him and he pays BUA, Dangote or Lafarge immediately and your supply is assured. He will be turning the money over till you come for your goods, in my case I just call, give me 50 bags, he will check and say, now remaining 150 bags? I will say, yes. And my goods will be loaded. I pay only transportation and loading charges.

Business is all about integrity, and I cannot be doing business with those I cannot trust, these guys I pay for goods hasn't disappointed me even once in the last 23 years, their children grew up to continue transacting with me, and maybe my children will grow up and continue with the business arrangement, I dont think they will start now to disappoint. These guys know me too, and we have mutual respect for each other. I will give examples.

The time Y16 iron rods jumped from N5,900 to N6,400, I had over 200 rods paid for. The time POP cement jumped from 3,600 to 7,500, I had 140 bags paid for, and I later collected it, even as it took time due to non availability. There are times I pay for 1,000 bags of cement at the same time, and we monitor how I take them, no matter how long ago it is. I just maintain a file to document all such transactions.

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by micgray100(m): 6:33am On Nov 14, 2021
I RESERVE MY COMMENTS ON THIS ISSUE OF INCREASE IN PRICE OF BUILDING MATERIALS TILL FUEL SUBSIDY IS REMOVED..

I WONDER WHERE NIGERIA WILL BE... IF THERE WILL EVEN A COUNTRY CALLED NAIJA..

PETROL PRICE PER LITRE;;;: 350 NAIRA.... shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

WE MOVE...
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 7:01am On Nov 14, 2021
spyder880:
I have been reading some of our submissions about the possibility of paying for materials with the intention of picking it up later, and the fear that the sellers may refuse to release your complete quantities, or insist on refunding your money and I am getting increasingly shocked here. When has Nigeria become that bad?

I give someone a large deposit running into several millions and he is making some transactions with my money, with the understanding that they will give me my supplies at our agreed price, and I walk in 3 to 6 months later and the dealer refuses to supply me because prices has changed, why did I pay you in the first place? I paid you to hedge on inflation.

In my experience, the dealers are happy that I pay early, they immediately deploy the funds and order heavier quantities and stock them. Most of my dealers are heavy stockists, offloading trailers and in a day. I have a dealer who offload up to 5 long trucks of cement in a day, pay him and he pays BUA, Dangote or Lafarge immediately and your supply is assured. He will be turning the money over till you come for your goods, in my case I just call, give me 50 bags, he will check and say, now remaining 150 bags? I will say, yes. And my goods will be loaded. I pay only transportation and loading charges.

Business is all about integrity, and I cannot be doing business with those I cannot trust, these guys I pay for goods hasn't disappointed me even once in the last 23 years, their children grew up to continue transacting with me, and maybe my children will grow up and continue with the business arrangement, I dont think they will start now to disappoint. These guys know me too, and we have mutual respect for each other. I will give examples.

The time Y16 iron rods jumped from N5,900 to N6,400, I had over 200 rods paid for. The time POP cement jumped from 3,600 to 7,500, I had 140 bags paid for, and I later collected it, even as it took time due to non availability. There are times I pay for 1,000 bags of cement at the same time, and we monitor how I take them, no matter how long ago it is. I just maintain a file to document all such transactions.

It’s good to know that your dealers are born again grin. Don’t try this with guys in Orile, Lagos.

You paid to pack immediately, you’re having issues (incomplete order, damaged goods, adulterated products etc). Let alone “Paid down to pick several months later.”

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by michlins(m): 7:32am On Nov 14, 2021
spyder880:

I just read these stuff and laugh cause I don't even think it's possible to happen.

Earlier this year, I paid for materials and told the dealer that the client isn't ready to start the job yet. So when I was ready, the dealer didn't have the materials again as he sold out his stock but he directed me to the wholesaler store where he buys goods and I was supplied everything I needed. The price at which he bought it from the wholesaler was higher than what I paid for it. He took the loss with happiness because he knows better. Our businesses have been running smoothly ever since and he must have made that money from me and people I have directed to him many times over.

Thing is that people are usually shortsighted when it comes to business and that's why many won't be rich ever in this life. They forget that a good business will bring several others

5 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rotecch77(m): 7:37am On Nov 14, 2021
n3xt:

Except you’re going to take laws into your hand, I don’t think anything can/will happen if the customer is offering a refund.

Who’d pay the cost of warehousing the goods for the number of months it stayed in his/her store?
Who pays the cost of securing the goods?

Is the storekeeper a bank that pay interests?

________

Just as @spyder880 advised earlier, only do this with merchants that you’ve had good business relationship with and be willing to make some concessions too.

Exactly what I want type before I see your post

People think it’s very easy to collect such goods when you don’t have concrete agreement that so so date you are coming to pick up failure to do so….. you will take the seller decision by increment or refund without any pec.
Which pec you wan claim sef,
Naa you go pay for keeping the goods.
Security nko.
What about space occupied

Abeg

At 3next you got it right o

Unless you have a good dealer coupled with solid agreement

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 7:40am On Nov 14, 2021
michlins:
I just read these stuff and laugh cause I don't even think it's possible to happen.

Earlier this year, I paid for materials and told the dealer that the client isn't ready to start the job yet. So when I was ready, the dealer didn't have the materials again as he sold out his stock but he directed me to the wholesaler store where he buys goods and I was supplied everything I needed. The price at which he bought it from the wholesaler was higher than what I paid for it. He took the loss with happiness because he knows better. Our businesses have been running smoothly ever since and he must have made that money from me and people I have directed to him many times over.

Thing is that people are usually shortsighted when it comes to business and that's why many won't be rich ever in this life. They forget that a good business will bring several others

A good business name is worth more than anything else. That's the easiest pass into financial freedom.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by dongc(m): 7:47am On Nov 14, 2021
spyder880:

Oga spyder880 do you remember the electrical supply incident you narrated a while ago ?where the dealer refused to supply with slightly price increase...are they not same type of scenario? You even did pay compensation....scenarios slightly similar...same day...

spyder880:
went to buy electrical cables in a popular market last month, on a Friday. I had heard rumours about planned increases of electrical wires and cables across many companies and products but I wanted to move fast.

I found out costs of many other cables before i went to see one of my customers who deals directly from the company i wanted to buy their products. As soon as they saw me, the asked how i knew that prices were about to change, hence my coming, i laughed and told them that I wanted to beat the deadline of price increases. They were the people that told me that prices were set to be increased officially by next week Monday.

I gave them my shopping list and told them to prepare an invoice for me, using the old company prices I knew. They were doing that when I left, got other materials I wanted from 4 other shops, got their invoices and headed to this electrical cables shop, they were still writing the invoice and bringing out my ordered goods, healthy looking coils of cables, not tampered with. I collected the invoice and their account details and left. I went to the bank and sent them money, then returned to the line to arrange transportation.

As soon as I arrived the shop, I noticed that the mood was changed, there were about 3 other men, standing around and arguing with the dealer. They all hushed up when I approached, the dealer was shouting and shaking his head, almost at the point of tears, I thought something serious happened, and it had.

The dealer explained to me, with a note in his hand, that the company decided to increase the prices that Friday instead of the planned Monday, and they had sent them memos to increase the prices. I told them that the price increase doesn't concern my transaction, and that was when some of them lost their temper and started raising their voices, more men gathered, they accused me of knowing about the price increase and coming to play a fast one on the dealer.

They were defending their member and telling me that I must pay the balance to reflect the increase, I refused, and they told me to give them my account number so they could transfer the exact sum I paid and the transaction will be cancelled. I told them that I had already collected my invoice and has paid, we have entered the sale contract and I must collect my goods complete and without delay.

I submitted this quotation to the owner of the house using the old prices, he paid me same day, how can I now return to tell my client that the money he paid yesterday is no longer enough, it will look suspicious.

How much was the additional added money for the cables I am about to buy? N241,500 (or so, cant remember the exact sum)

I went to my vehicle and hid the invoice since I was afraid they will snatch and tear it. Came back and demanded for my goods. Well, the dealer knows that I have been buying a lot of things from them for years, so he took them to a corner of the shop and spoke to them to calm them down, they later returned and asked me to compensate the dealer with at least N50,000, the dealer told me to take the goods and go, and anything I give him, he will appreciate, in the end, I paid an additional N10,000 to him.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Mazipaschal27(m): 8:00am On Nov 14, 2021

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHrUInC4DQQ

HOW TO PRODUCE TEXTURE PAINTS
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by sonnie10: 8:05am On Nov 14, 2021
rotecch77:

Exactly what I want type before I see your post

People think it’s very easy to collect such goods when you don’t have concrete agreement that so so date you are coming to pick up failure to do so….. you will take the seller decision by increment or refund without any pec.
Which pec you wan claim sef,
Naa you go pay for keeping the goods.
Security nko.
What about space occupied

Abeg

At 3next you got it right o

Unless you have a good dealer coupled with solid agreement

Honestly, the only reason I decided to overlook it is because these days I have decided to stay away from avoidable stress. My peace of mind is paramount now. Even if he decided he was not going to supply the whole cement, I would still not have done anytime.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Dirkcoyt: 8:23am On Nov 14, 2021
Put yourself in the dealers shoes. The cement business is not even as easy as you think. Today it goes up tomorrow it’s coming down. They’re only struggling with the business too . Some days the loss will be too much the intended profitin future will only balance up and no profit made.

My supplier was lamenting to me then I told him one thing. Look you run a business the people paying ahead are also trying to dump the inflation gap on you to bear the loss. You also need to be smart to dump the loss back at them . Tell your customers you can only hold for 1month , more than that sorry you have to pay more. Why do you intend to pay 3-6 month down without picking it up if not that you’re trying to dump the inflation gap on the not so astute businessman?

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (2571) (2572) (2573) (2574) (2575) (2576) (2577) ... (3663) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.