Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,291 members, 7,836,280 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 02:11 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (2601) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4445290 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2598) (2599) (2600) (2601) (2602) (2603) (2604) ... (3679) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 10:21am On Nov 24, 2021
FEGEITOK:

Thank you.

I don't want to believe that we do not have these kinds of structures in Nigeria

Something along the lines of

https://thearchitecturedesigns.com/privacy-fence-ideas-for-backyard/

See also the picture attached

I’m making something similar this week.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 10:23am On Nov 24, 2021
FEGEITOK:

Thank you.

I don't want to believe that we do not have these kinds of structures in Nigeria

Something along the lines of

https://thearchitecturedesigns.com/privacy-fence-ideas-for-backyard/

See also the picture attached

It actually exists here but I’ve only seen it used as a privacy divider and not a primary security one.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Born2conquer: 10:39am On Nov 24, 2021
I saw this CCTV video on Twitter and I couldn’t stop admiring the VIDEO and AUDIO quality of the CCTV.

Screenshot from the CCTV attached below
Link to the video (for those on Twitter) also attached below

https://twitter.com/__iyke/status/1463227740002390023?s=21

I believe all our TECH bosses on this thread can take this is challenge to better and to be the best

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by uncleteeh(m): 10:44am On Nov 24, 2021
Horlardorjah:

Don't think this will go for interlock Sir, it's another form of concrete flooring, u can't pull out as there are not separated n it doesn't allow water passage to the earth.
My thoughts though
Oooh.
I didn't mean interlock.
Patterned after it.

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Horlardorjah(m): 10:50am On Nov 24, 2021
EgunMogaji2:

It actually exists here but I’ve only seen it used as a privacy divider and not a primary security one.

Exactly mostly used @ garden area, pool sides n relaxation spots

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Horlardorjah(m): 10:50am On Nov 24, 2021
uncleteeh:

Oooh.
I didn't mean interlock.
Patterned after it.

Okay BOSS
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FEGEITOK: 10:59am On Nov 24, 2021
EgunMogaji2:

Probably in Estates between flats.

But it seems the majority of houses and estates prefer high hollow blocks

I am thinking of a low hollow block wall and some wooden contraption between my house and the next to serve as a sort of privacy fence

something along the lines of
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCEBuCWF-E8

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FEGEITOK: 11:00am On Nov 24, 2021
n3xt:

I’m making something similar this week.

Looking forward to it
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by michlins(m): 11:23am On Nov 24, 2021
May we never risk our project because of paucity of funds

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 12:05pm On Nov 24, 2021
michlins:
May we never risk our project because of paucity of funds

What’s the guarantee this is caused by paucity of fund?

What if the owner paid more and the installer is not experienced enough to handle such work?

I had a similar experience on a site. The installer bought good materials but failed to use gusset plate where necessary. We had to decommission and reinstall.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 12:08pm On Nov 24, 2021
FEGEITOK:

Probably in Estates between flats.

But it seems the majority of houses and estates prefer high hollow blocks

I am thinking of a low hollow block wall and some wooden contraption between my house and the next to serve as a sort of privacy fence

something along the lines of
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCEBuCWF-E8

You can easily do this. I have seen same but with steel slats.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 12:11pm On Nov 24, 2021
Horlardorjah:

Exactly mostly used @ garden area, pool sides n relaxation spots

Ariya father cheesy

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by michlins(m): 12:46pm On Nov 24, 2021
n3xt:

What’s the guarantee this is caused by paucity of fund?

What if the owner paid more and the installer is not experienced enough to handle such work?

I had a similar experience on a site. The installer bought good materials but failed to use gusset plate where necessary. We had to decommission and reinstall.
first, gussets can NEVER make a tank stand fail. As important as they are, they can NEVER make a tank stand fail.

When building a tank stand, first consider the foundation. A tank stand is as good as the foundation. In the case of subject under discussion, the foundation was too wide. So the weight of the tank wasn't resting on the channels leading to the foundation. For a tank that high, standalone foundation won't work but chained foundation like in the picture below

Weight of the load. This tank stand was constructed for two 750 gallons of water at maximum but the owner went and used a 1000 gallons and 500 gallons. The weight was disproportionate which led to the failure.

Another thing is quality of materials. The quality of iron is dropping daily and getting more expensive too. So most times when finance is highly constrained, contractors go for the cheapest alternative. 1½" angle iron is currently looking like 1¼" and it's lighter too.

Even when all these are adhered to, experience and professionalism is important.

10 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Horlardorjah(m): 12:47pm On Nov 24, 2021
EgunMogaji2:

Ariya father cheesy

Egunmogaji baba Agba, area father 1
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 1:15pm On Nov 24, 2021
Grandstronics21:

Good afternoon, sir.
Check out the ones below if they fit your choice...
They are both 5 Burners each. 60 x 90 (large).

1st picture (MIDEA 60 by 90 cm) 5 Burners = 205k

2nd picture (THERMOCOOL 60 by 90 cm) 5 Burners = 335k

Yeah, I'm thinking I'm going to have to bring over from Ghana.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by babadots: 1:25pm On Nov 24, 2021
michlins:
no sir but what I can assure you is that that thing is no less than 70,000/meter. That's not your usual wrought iron and it's still making its way into Nigeria.

Thank you and stay safe

Thank you for your candour. What do we have that is closest to this? Photos and pricing would help.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by babadots: 1:29pm On Nov 24, 2021
DFAMEGUY11S:
oh sorry sir is now look at your message well my price was for staircase marble not for iron

I thought as much. Thank you, anyhow.

But do you per chance know the guys who installed the rails?.............like meeting them on site or having their contacts?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FEGEITOK: 1:37pm On Nov 24, 2021
EgunMogaji2:

Yeah, I'm thinking I'm going to have to bring over from Ghana.

Cheaper? Why?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by michlins(m): 1:46pm On Nov 24, 2021
babadots:

Thank you for your candour. What do we have that is closest to this? Photos and pricing would help.
this is the closest. This is the closest to what I can get which I know I can replicate. Costs 45,000/meter

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by somehow: 1:53pm On Nov 24, 2021
What is currently going on in this country?

Got a big one (6 burners) about a little more than a year ago for less than 200k I think (Maxi). #335k for 5 burners is something else.

Grandstronics21:

Good afternoon, sir.
Check out the ones below if they fit your choice...
They are both 5 Burners each. 60 x 90 (large).

1st picture (MIDEA 60 by 90 cm) 5 Burners = 205k

2nd picture (THERMOCOOL 60 by 90 cm) 5 Burners = 335k
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by flexyonline: 2:02pm On Nov 24, 2021
FEGEITOK:

Looking forward to it

I believe what you are talking about is what I have in my house (required by estate covenants)
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FEGEITOK: 2:06pm On Nov 24, 2021
flexyonline:

I believe what you are talking about is what I have in my house (required by estate covenants)

That's nice
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by flexyonline: 2:38pm On Nov 24, 2021
flexyonline:

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 2:57pm On Nov 24, 2021
michlins:
first, gussets can NEVER make a tank stand fail. As important as they are, they can NEVER make a tank stand fail.

When building a tank stand, first consider the foundation. A tank stand is as good as the foundation. In the case of subject under discussion, the foundation was too wide. So the weight of the tank wasn't resting on the channels leading to the foundation. For a tank that high, standalone foundation won't work but chained foundation like in the picture below

Weight of the load. This tank stand was constructed for two 750 gallons of water at maximum but the owner went and used a 1000 gallons and 500 gallons. The weight was disproportionate which led to the failure.

Another thing is quality of materials. The quality of iron is dropping daily and getting more expensive too. So most times when finance is highly constrained, contractors go for the cheapest alternative. 1½" angle iron is currently looking like 1¼" and it's lighter too.

Even when all these are adhered to, experience and professionalism is important.

From all indications, the problem is not from the foundation but inability of the structural members to withstand the stress imposed.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FEGEITOK: 3:04pm On Nov 24, 2021
[quote author=flexyonline post=107921216][/quote]

Thanks for sharing. Yes, Something like that.

I think I saw that in Brains and Hammers, had to source for the pictures online though

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by cbmfi: 3:50pm On Nov 24, 2021
Good afternoon house. I finally joined nairaland because of this thread. I have been here as a guest for a while and I have learnt so much. Thank you all for the useful contributions and insights. God bless you.

I’m thinking of starting my project by January and see what I can achieve by the end of next year. I have some questions though:

Can 5 million raise a 4 bedroom bungalow from foundation to roofing? Please bear in mind that the land was previously a fish pond but that has been discontinued for over 5 years but the pond area is still open and wasn’t filled.

Also gurus in the house recommend a good hand for house plan. Its a 30x120 half plot, I want a sexy (lol) 4 bedroom plan.

NB: if you’re a drawer, please don’t contact me. I’ll only reach persons referred to me by the people I consider as well versed on the thread. Thank you.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Valuepaints20(m): 3:54pm On Nov 24, 2021
This two combination in your exterior and exterior smiley

*Better soup na money kill am

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Valuepaints20(m): 3:55pm On Nov 24, 2021
Valuepaints20:
This two combination in your exterior and interior smiley

*Better soup na money kill am
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 3:55pm On Nov 24, 2021
FEGEITOK:

Cheaper? Why?

Certainly won’t be cheaper but I’m specific about what I want. What you’re showing is what I’ve been seeing at stores in Nigeria. I saw what I wanted on a Ghana show.

Thanks.

(1) (2) (3) ... (2598) (2599) (2600) (2601) (2602) (2603) (2604) ... (3679) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.