Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,790 members, 7,831,554 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 08:56 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (2969) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4434281 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2966) (2967) (2968) (2969) (2970) (2971) (2972) ... (3676) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nowar: 4:33pm On Apr 29, 2022
hslbroker2:

Concrete parapet are more expensive compare to Precast Parapet

When you choose concrete parapet, consider the following.

You will buy woods for the framing of your design, and you will also pay the carpenters that will do the job.

You will buy iron rod for the work and you will also pay the welder that will do the work

You will buy granite and sharp sand and cement for the casting and you pay the masons that will do the work.

Materials you need for the concrete parapet.
Woods
Nails
Iron rods
Binding Wire
Granite
Sharp Sand
Cement

But for precast parapet
All you need to buy is few granite for beam, few sharp sand for the moulding, cement and workmanship, meaning you are providing Materials.

But if you don't want to provide materials, we also charge you per meter and the work is done, we would provide materials.

You spend less on precast parapet and more on concrete parapet

Concrete parapet is forever attach to your building.

It is only binding wire that is holding precast parapet, the binding will rust and weak in the next thirty years, it will fall.

Finally, u can choose any designs you want in both concrete and precast Parapet.

Thanks, hope you enjoy the Narrative.

hmmm.
Wow thank you very much for this , tbh , In this regards I don’t really have problem with the cost atall , but due to the German floor wey I no do, which do you suggest I go for out of the two
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nowar: 4:34pm On Apr 29, 2022
Blessedsunny2:

The work of pillar is different from German floor because the German floor is the one carrying the blocks

Ok bro. Thank you once again . May God bless
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Blessedsunny2(m): 4:35pm On Apr 29, 2022
Nowar:

Ok bro. Thank you once again . May God bless
You are welcome sir.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by sonnie10: 4:44pm On Apr 29, 2022
GoodFaith:

I am sending People from Lagos to Benin on Tuesday to plaster a Friend's house
duplex four bedroom up and four bedroom down, living room up and down
I priced it for 600K
Wahid 08035590162

I already know it is just for labor but is this price for both internal and external plastering?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by hslbroker2(m): 4:47pm On Apr 29, 2022
Nowar:
hmmm.
Wow thank you very much for this , tbh , In this regards I don’t really have problem with the cost atall , but due to the German floor wey I no do, which do you suggest I go for out of the two
if it is must for you to use parapet, then it is better for you to use precast parapet, the weight is lesser compare to concrete parapet and more cheaper, but I will suggest you use facial board due to the foundation of this building, so you won't be over weighing it.

Modified
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nowar: 4:49pm On Apr 29, 2022
hslbroker2:
if it is must for you to use parapet, then it is better for you to use precast parapet, the weight is lesser compare to concrete parapet and more cheaper

Noted .. I appreciate more than you think . Thanks so much ..
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by hslbroker2(m): 4:51pm On Apr 29, 2022
Nowar:

Noted .. I appreciate more than you think . Thanks so much ..
you are welcome bro, more personal projects coming your way soon, so all these will not be new to you again.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 5:19pm On Apr 29, 2022
Rany4all:
What about packing space Sir? I think the unbuilt space could also play a role in the type of structure that should be built. Another factor to consider would also be the types of structures within the neighborhood.... multistory buildings may not be allowed in low density residential areas.

You could have five stories of underground parking plus the first three floors as above ground parking cheesy
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by sonnie10: 5:26pm On Apr 29, 2022
Space means comfort

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by sonnie10: 5:35pm On Apr 29, 2022
@ Michlins where are thou? This is closer to what I was talking about

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 5:40pm On Apr 29, 2022
Nowar:
Hello every one .. so I’ve been a ghost reader of this great forum for years , i had to register immediately, I stumbled on this thread this very morning , reading posts from November 2021 and something caught my attention..

I’m building a three bedroom and the foundation is high , the back is 6 blocks high, why the front is I think 3 or. 4 sha. Una engineer go don understand me.. I was advised to support it with double wall since the foundation is high, I did and I supported it round with strong pillars( 10,pillars ) . But then I never knew the important of German floor o ( note I’m not cutting costs, I just don’t know about it) .. The building has reached roofing level and I want to use Gerard roofing with casting parapet .. i don budget 3m-3.5m for Gerard, woods, and parapet , nails , transport , workmanship .. I want make the house high well well grin..

U can also put me through about the cost of the roofing pls ..
The house na 3 bedroom two sitting room, dining, store, laundr, kitchen ,store and it’s very long building ,
I plan roofing the house towards the end of the year or early next year by God’s grace ..

Now that the house don reach roofing level , can I still do German floor ? If not what else can I do ? Pls tell me the bitter true no sugarcoat for me o. Hope I won’t have problem in the future if I don’t do it, although the area is ok and solid , the foundation is solid too, I’ve done the filling with laterite.. and there’s no history of damp in the area. But I’m the kind of person that if I hear something and after effect my mind go just Dey there no matter what ..

Pls my people in this case what can I do ??
I didn’t use engineer. Na me be the mumu grin engineer and my bricklayer ( I know of three modern houses the guy built for my area and I’ve never heard say dem get issues na why I used the guy and he’s the one that built it from scratch to top)

I mould the blocks too but it was not enough , time no Dey so I had to buy to complete it ..

Pls people of god what I can I do at this stage o…..

Cc

godisgreatest1
diordaves

brickdevo
Blessedsunny2
Twinkenny
Smallsmall

You can still do German floor, of sorts, but it requires a patient crew.

Not recommending it just sharing what I’ve seen done in worst case scenario.

Your Mason will carefully cut into the walls and pour the slab on the floor and seeping into the walls.

Care and patience are the watch words.

Good luck on your project.

PS: if that’s the only reason then I wouldn’t sell the property.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 5:54pm On Apr 29, 2022
Nowar:

Thank you very much sir.
1. I have not done the roofing ,
What I meant is that e remain make I do roofing
And I supported the house with pillar round ( the house have 10 pillars in total ) four each side , two at the back , where the foundation has 6 couches of block, I supported it with double wall round..
Below is the pics

Blessedsunny2, hslbroker2

I’m a young man , it’s a pity I have zero knowledge sha

Ok. I am not sure if 10 pillars is enough to support the in-situ concrete parapet. You may be able to use the precast parapet though. Also look into the Aluminium parapet and you won't have to worry about the parapet weight.

Hajji M.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by BrickDevo: 5:55pm On Apr 29, 2022
Nowar:
Hello every one .. so I’ve been a ghost reader of this great forum for years , i had to register immediately, I stumbled on this thread this very morning , reading posts from November 2021 and something caught my attention..

Now that the house don reach roofing level , can I still do German floor ? If not what else can I do ? Pls tell me the bitter true no sugarcoat for me o. Hope I won’t have problem in the future if I don’t do it, although the area is ok and solid , the foundation is solid too, I’ve done the filling with laterite.. and there’s no history of damp in the area. But I’m the kind of person that if I hear something and after effect my mind go just Dey there no matter what ..

I didn’t use engineer. Na me be the mumu grin engineer and my bricklayer ( I know of three modern houses the guy built for my area and I’ve never heard say dem get issues na why I used the guy and he’s the one that built it from scratch to top)

I mould the blocks too but it was not enough , time no Dey so I had to buy to complete it ..

Cc

godisgreatest1
diordaves

brickdevo
Blessedsunny2
Twinkenny
Smallsmall
Congrats for reaching to the level you are in the building of your house e no easy,

since you said that the modern houses your guy built is experiencing no issues about 3 houses, i feel you shouldn't worry, but if the pillars in you house cut accros the building, like if you have internal pillars, then you can try the underpinning method, usually to support foundation but in your case, walls.

what you will do is to open up a hole in the foot of your walls up to the height of your foundation maybe 3 inches high, the length of the opening shouldn't be too long, 1.8m-2m, then you can pour your concrete bit by bit, repeat the process until you fill in the whole spaces..
If you don't have internal pillars, i don't know what else you can do... Good luck.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by sonnie10: 6:00pm On Apr 29, 2022
@Nowar
German floor actually sits on beam supported by columns underneath, it is just wrong to pour concrete on ordinary blocks by cutting through the walls. That might cause structural damage to the foundation.

Your best option as it is now is to do just ordinary flooring with thick concrete depth. If the area is not prone to water capillary upward movement, then enjoy your house.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 6:34pm On Apr 29, 2022
Nowar:

I’m building a three bedroom and the foundation is high , the back is 6 blocks high, why the front is I think 3 or. 4 sha. Una engineer go don understand me.. I was advised to support it with double wall since the foundation is high, I did and I supported it round with strong pillars( 10,pillars ) . But then I never knew the important of German floor o ( note I’m not cutting costs, I just don’t know about it) .. The building has reached roofing level and I want to use Gerard roofing with casting parapet .. i don budget 3m-3.5m for Gerard, woods, and parapet , nails , transport , workmanship .. I want make the house high well well grin..

U can also put me through about the cost of the roofing pls ..
The house na 3 bedroom two sitting room, dining, store, laundr, kitchen ,store and it’s very long building ,
I plan roofing the house towards the end of the year or early next year by God’s grace ..

Cc

godisgreatest1
diordaves

brickdevo
Blessedsunny2
Twinkenny
Smallsmall

Lay a DPM and cast the German floor say 4 inches thick. Then don't do interlocking for the compound. Do stamp concrete instead or concrete the compound and bevel the floor away from the foundation so that water run off from your foundation. See pics. So long as the compound is dry (good water run off) during/after rain, you should be fine.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by michlins(m): 6:47pm On Apr 29, 2022
sonnie10:
@ Michlins where are thou? This is closer to what I was talking about
this is obtainable by at least 75% and that's because some materials aren't available in our local market
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by sonnie10: 6:59pm On Apr 29, 2022
michlins:
this is obtainable by at least 75% and that's because some materials aren't available in our local market

True. But don't let that limit your business.

With the right contact and collaboration, you can establish that connection with someone in china who would be standby to ship the parts to you for these kind of jobs.

Turn the limitations into opportunities.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by GoodFaith: 7:01pm On Apr 29, 2022
diordaves:

Lay a DPM and cast the German floor say 4 inches thick. Then don't do interlocking for the compound. Do stamp concrete instead or concrete the compound and bevel the floor away from the foundation so that water run off from your foundation. See pics. So long as the compound is dry (good water run off) during/after rain, you should be fine.

Areas with piper do interlock
Areas without pipe driveway Do stamp concrete instead or concrete
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by GoodFaith: 7:03pm On Apr 29, 2022
sonnie10:

I already know it is just for labor but is this price for both internal and external plastering?
Yes
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by sonnie10: 7:07pm On Apr 29, 2022
GoodFaith:

Yes

That is a very good price. Let say #300k for outside and another #300k for inside

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 7:11pm On Apr 29, 2022
sonnie10:

That is a very good price. Let say #300k for outside and another #300k for inside
too cheap
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by michlins(m): 7:11pm On Apr 29, 2022
sonnie10:

True. But don't let that limit your business.

With the right contact and collaboration, you can establish that connection with someone in china who would be standby to ship the parts to you for these kind of jobs.

Turn the limitations into opportunities.
true to that
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by somehow: 7:25pm On Apr 29, 2022
GoodFaith:

Yes

I was charged 750k

Another charged 650k

Labor only + the sec house.

Note : Not all the outside is expected to be plastered.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by BrickDevo: 7:28pm On Apr 29, 2022
diordaves:

This to me doesn't seem to solve the problem of capillary rise of water through the walls, the walls are still in direct contact with the soil....

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by toluyale(m): 8:00pm On Apr 29, 2022
EgunMogaji2:

I think I’m getting my wires crossed.

What is the other one called that’s a simpler system? It wasn’t this expensive.

Called Biofil

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 8:04pm On Apr 29, 2022
toluyale:

Called Biofil

Muchas Gracias Señor.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by toluyale(m): 8:05pm On Apr 29, 2022
GloriousGbola:

This is not about the cost implication of a biodigester.

It is about questions none of the experts could give a satisfactory answer to

The methane generated is SUPPOSED to be used to generate electricity and for cooking.

That would however require additional /supplementary installations. Methane powered electronical plant or methane collection and storage for cooking.

In the case I am referencing, the installers had claimed that they did the biodigester for banks. They were offering us the biodigester for our facilities

This however begged the question - neither the banks nor my employer had any use for methane

So WHERE was the methane generated In the banks and other commercial clients going? Was it being discharged into the atmosphere? Was it being flared?

They could not give a clear answer. It should be noted that methane is highly flammable and poisonous in high concentrations.

We did not go through with the engagement because the 'biodigester experts' who incidentally I picked from a nairaland thread could not answer my questions. In fact the people who came had the same set of pictures of their installation that a different biodigester vendor who I was also checking out had.

Maybe you can give a more detailed answer than the biodigester will be used to generate electricity and for cooking because we know few if any end users have any use for

When the methane gas is generated from the source it will pass through some other treatment process before usage.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by toluyale(m): 8:07pm On Apr 29, 2022
[quote author=EgunMogaji2 post=112050817]

What is the cost? Thanks.[/quo

Depends on your location sir
You can chat us on WhatsApp
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by sonnie10: 8:11pm On Apr 29, 2022
twinskenny:
too cheap

I know. Because mine was more than double that amount
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by redgem(f): 9:10pm On Apr 29, 2022
You guys have plenty money here oh...the way you/most of you are just calling prices eh, fear will just be catching somebody.. I know some do it intentionally, don't know their reasons but please take it easy with us abeg, some of us, it is just small small kobo we are seeing and managing.. Don't rub it on our faces this is how pressure and evil thoughts comes in. One will feel that they are not doing enough. My prayer is that one day, we all will be able to afford all what we desire.. Amen

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by sonnie10: 9:38pm On Apr 29, 2022
Na beg I beg before the contractor accepted about #2M for both outside and inside plastering without the additional 450 bags of cement

(1) (2) (3) ... (2966) (2967) (2968) (2969) (2970) (2971) (2972) ... (3676) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: nellybadas, RockOfAgesAlumi(m) and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.