Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,019 members, 7,838,559 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 04:20 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (3023) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4450760 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (3020) (3021) (3022) (3023) (3024) (3025) (3026) ... (3680) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KelvinCoaster(m): 5:09pm On Jun 10, 2022
Administration1:
Please I need ideas on how to go about getting approval for a building in Port-Harcourt, Obio Akpor LGA to be precise and that of Urban what I need is a rough idea of the cost implications. It's a 1 storey building of 4 flats 2 and 3 bedrooms
Go to Rumuodumaya Secretariat (OBALGA).
Ask of Development Control Office, it's inside the Secretariat compound.
They are responsible for approval.

Good luck to you!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 5:13pm On Jun 10, 2022
Administration1:
Please I need ideas on how to go about getting approval for a building in Port-Harcourt, Obio Akpor LGA to be precise and that of Urban what I need is a rough idea of the cost implications. It's a 1 storey building of 4 flats 2 and 3 bedrooms
Keep like 600k, what ever you do make sure you have all papers b4 you start your building, Urban might take you 3 months, LGA might take you just 2 weeks max when dealing with the LGA go to their chairman or CDC leader to do all your LGA papers to avoid stories that touch

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by segcymoor(m): 6:09pm On Jun 10, 2022
Dirkcoyt:
To be honest entering a storey building dey fear me . My grandpa own a 20 rooms storey build with a decking typical ring road ibadan style and it’s still standing for 50 years counting now ! My grandpa was just a company mechanic with leventis then with just the usual standard 6 education . To be honest I don’t think he gave his building to any structural engineer or what not and that house still remains solid till now likewise all other build around that area . They were mostly handled by the baba latis. I have never had fear standing on what seems like the 3rd layer where the decking is where I can peep into palms mall and chill to have a view of cocoa house and liberty stadium but I must say I do be shit scared of stepping into the so called engineers that build modern storey buildings nowadays .

Now judging from these factors . I don’t want to believe the Baba latis know more than the trained certified engineers I just want to believe the difference between then and now are as follows;

1. Good quality of materials (when I hit the walls of my grandpa house and feel the sound I can tell the difference between the new ones and old ones , when I see the iron bars it’s more thicker and stronger than new ones)
2. These people never even did soil test etc yet it’s solid so what could we say ? Too much of education ruining it ? Or what ?
3. Experience is lacking in nowadays ?
4. Before you become a Baba lati then I think you will have served your boss so longtime before you start handling projects of your own but nowadays we rush to handle gigantic projects with less experience

I really don’t know why buildings are falling but we must look at what we did then that’s different now .

To think if you start from the very beginning of ring road ibadan to challenge, Oke ado , all you see are storey buildings all these old people built storey building like it’s nothing and it was all built by Baba latis . In modern times we struggle to even build bungalows and we claim we’ve arrived . And only for the few amongst us that can afford to build a storey building we still couldn’t build it properly only for it to fall. Naija which way now I’m tired !

Just one thing responsible

Quality of thinking has reduced drastically... You tend to make mistake when you didn't concentrate on the job at hand

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by money121(m): 6:26pm On Jun 10, 2022
Loading of Longspan Aluminium Roofing Sheet to Benin City Edo State

Are you done with Your Woodwork and you are in Need
of Quality Aluminum Roofing Sheet.. Kindly Call/WhatsApp 08085310359
Customer Satisfaction is Our Watch Word!!!

Kindly promote us by sharing this post. share it now!!

Colour: Traffic Black
0.45mm

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by money121(m): 6:51pm On Jun 10, 2022
Men @ Work.. Another Roofing Project Going @ bagadry Lagos State

Are you Done with your woodwork and in Need of Quality Aluminium Roofing Sheet? Please Call/WhatsApp 08085310359
Customers Satisfaction is our Watch Word..

Steptiles Design

NAVY blue

0.45mm

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FEGEITOK: 12:27am On Jun 11, 2022
Looks like landscape lighting/accent lighting is not a big issue in Nigeria.

We don't make statements with lighting like the pictures attached.

Is it a cultural thing or a financial thing or that others don't do it so we don't know about it?

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by micgray100(m): 9:22am On Jun 11, 2022
rajput4real93:

This is lovely

THANKS BOSS,, WE LOVE TO DO LOVELY THINGS..

Apart from Producing structural engineering drawings as an Coren registered Engineer (first Degree), we are also Certified chartered Secretary from our second degree (CAC accredited agent)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 10:28am On Jun 11, 2022
FEGEITOK:
Looks like landscape lighting/accent lighting is not a big issue in Nigeria.

We don't make statements with lighting like the pictures attached.

Is it a cultural thing or a financial thing or that others don't do it so we don't know about it?

I used to win awards in my neighborhoods in the USA for horticulture and Xmas decorations.

The issue here in Nigeria is security. I try my best to make my house blend in with the landscape. No display of frivolities. It’s a personal thing.

11 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FEGEITOK: 10:54am On Jun 11, 2022
EgunMogaji2:

I used to win awards in my neighborhoods in the USA for horticulture and Xmas decorations.

The issue here in Nigeria is security. I try my best to make my house blend in with the landscape. No display of frivolities. It’s a personal thing.

Thanks for your response.

There are upscale neighborhoods in Nigeria.

I cannot claim to have visited all, but the few I have I have not seen good lighting arrangements.

Our lighting here more or less betrays the fact that lighting professionals aren't involved in the placement/arrangements - and that a lot of thought has not been put into this aspect of the building plan.

Your reasons make sense, but my point is a lot more is spent on other areas of the structure than would have been spent on these kinds of lighting.

So I tend to think it has to do with what the building professionals here recommend or suggest.

When night falls the tens to hundreds of millions spent go dark as well.

If you share some of those arrangements, I am currently on the lookout for ideas to copy

On more thing, given the marked preference for full length none-see-through fences, if those lighting arrangements are within the compound no one except visitors and the owners of the house would see them.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by QSFemi(m): 11:11am On Jun 11, 2022
Greetings to the house.

Appreciation to those clients that have patronised Choice Cost Consult for quantity surveying duties such as preparation of Bill of Quantity, Resources Schedule (Schedule of Materials and Labour Bill) and other services rendered by us.

Also to those recommending us even when I haven't been active here for quite some time, I take none of your gestures for granted. May you find help and support too.

Happy weekend to you all.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by topsy23: 12:11pm On Jun 11, 2022
Good afternoon my people.. The issue of theft in most of our sites these days is becoming alarming. We have a project in Abuja and the installation of first fix started last year August. The second fix was completed early December,. We are meant to start the final stage yesterday but on getting to site all cables were stolen including the load cables to the distribution .

Now who is responsible for this act? After we completed the second fix which is the cabling in early December 2021, POP contractors came and left, Tiler came and left, also the Aluminium guys also came and left . But my concern is that the builder couldn't fish out who could have done this .. Cables of about 2million naira got stolen on site and we have builder supervising the project regularly on site.

My concern is that all the cables removed would be sold as scrap maximum 30k because there was no straight l length in those cables ..

Are we going to blame government for this because of lack of job(an idle hand is a devil workshop )

My client said the it can't be tiler and POP guys because they are Togolese
The Aluminium contactor is a Nigerian and he stays more than POP and tilers on site. Who are we going to hold responsible for this act.

We got to Abuja yesterday hoping that the final fix will be completed in the next 8days.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kiekie1(m): 12:35pm On Jun 11, 2022
HURRY!! LIMITED STOCK!!!

Brand new 1000 watts 12v Pure sine wave power Inverter (no charging feature). It works with any deep cycle / tubular / lithium battery capacity of your choice..

Ideal for users on a budget and for keeps as rainy-day backup.Ideal for campers. Ideal for 12v off-grid systems "optional external battery charger can be attached to supplement solar array against periodic rainy weather". Ideal for automobile uses ensuring pure sine wave safe output.

Actual/Continuous power is 1000w. Peak power is 2000w. Soft start feature enhances smooth powering of refrigerator, sensitive appliances.
Idle watt consumption 7 watts.

Protection features:
-Low voltage shutdown
-Over voltage shutdown
-Short circuit shutdown
-Over temperature shutdown
-Overload protection
-Polarity reverse fuse protection
-Earth leakage protection

Firm Price: 40,000

Contact,
Smartcell global services
CALL ONLY:: 081-350-31951
WHATSAPP::: http://.us/w/?c=a46ea5

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 1:06pm On Jun 11, 2022
topsy23:
Good afternoon my people.. The issue of theft in most of our sites these days is becoming alarming. We have a project in Abuja and the installation of first fix started last year August. The second fix was completed early December,. We are meant to start the final stage yesterday but on getting to site all cables were stolen including the load cables to the distribution .

Now who is responsible for this act? After we completed the second fix which is the cabling in early December 2021, POP contractors came and left, Tiler came and left, also the Aluminium guys also came and left . But my concern is that the builder couldn't fish out who could have done this .. Cables of about 2million naira got stolen on site and we have builder supervising the project regularly on site.

My concern is that all the cables removed would be sold as scrap maximum 30k because there was no straight l length in those cables ..

Are we going to blame government for this because of lack of job(an idle hand is a devil workshop )

The Aluminium contactor is a Nigerian and he stays more than POP and tilers on site. Who are we going to hold responsible for this act.

We got to Abuja yesterday hoping that the final fix will be completed in the next 8days.

Bros no be only you ooo.. better for client to employ a permanent security till the project is done.. to avoid this kind of story

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Jeff68: 1:20pm On Jun 11, 2022
twinskenny:

Bros no be only you ooo.. better for client to employ a permanent security till the project is done.. to avoid this kind of story

Even with on-site security, this issue of wire theft is alarming and very serious! I had a similar issue at my site, fortunately, it wasn’t to the tune of 2m� I said it once here, until we all start to police each other in Nigeria things may not be right for a while. There is a slogan “if u see something, say something “ I feel for the owner! Someone on-site knows something!

6 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Jeff68: 1:22pm On Jun 11, 2022
Please I need a Real Estate Listing Agent or Lawyer in Ibadan, I have a small property I need to sell. Any recommendation? Thanks
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by topsy23: 1:31pm On Jun 11, 2022
Jeff68:

Even with on-site security, this issue of wire theft is alarming and very serious! I had a similar issue at my site, fortunately, it wasn’t to the tune of 2m� I said it once here, until we all start to police each other in Nigeria things may not be right for a while. There is a slogan “if u see something, say something “ I feel for the owner! Someone on-site knows something!

We need to get whistle blower around our site . This is an estate with no access to outsiders except people working in that estate . Government can't do everything for us now. We to be vigilant especially people leaving in that area. Those guys doesn't know the worth or values of those cables. Some of them are just wicked soul.

Cables and pumping machine were stolen.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by somehow: 1:38pm On Jun 11, 2022
topsy23:

We need to get whistle blower around our site . This is an estate with no access to outsiders except people working in that estate . Government can't do everything for us now. We to be vigilant especially people leaving in that area. Those guys doesn't know the worth or values of those cables. Some of them are just wicked soul.

Cables and pumping machine were stolen.

The people that stole these stuffs are those that have access to the project building, do not look further.

Is there a project manager on site?

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bolu1986(m): 1:39pm On Jun 11, 2022
somehow:

The people that stole these stuffs are those that have access to the project building, do not look further.

Not necessarily... mostly scavengers.. they roam around and monitor your movement
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by topsy23: 1:40pm On Jun 11, 2022
somehow:

The builder
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by somehow: 1:48pm On Jun 11, 2022
bolu1986:

Not necessarily... mostly scavengers.. they roam around and monitor your movement

This is why I asked if site was without a project/site manager.

topsy23:

The builder

Is there no general security in that estate? Like gates and security personnels checking what comes in and goes out?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 1:59pm On Jun 11, 2022
topsy23:

Was there no security or mai-guard employed for the site at this stage of the project?

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 2:01pm On Jun 11, 2022
twinskenny:

Exactly what I thought... how much will this cost per month... not much.

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 2:04pm On Jun 11, 2022
mufutau55:

Exactly what I thought... how much will this cost per month... not much.

Hajji M.

Maybe highest 20k some will even take 15.. it' pays on the long run..

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rotecch77(m): 2:13pm On Jun 11, 2022
@topsy; the issue is not limited to only one area,
Two weeks ago my Geepee tank, Pumping machine control box just disappeared ( a well fenced site with gate ooo) bcs we have break of only 2-3weeks … the place is a well developed area plus street security ooo.
Even sand and granite are not left out…
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by topsy23: 2:17pm On Jun 11, 2022
rotecch77:
@topsy; the issue is not limited to only one area,
Two weeks ago my Geepee tank, Pumping machine control box just disappeared ( a well fenced site with gate ooo) bcs we have break of only 2-3weeks … the place is a well developed area plus street security ooo.

Very serious, a whole tank. It means they brought car to pick the tank. It's something that they can put in bag

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by topsy23: 2:17pm On Jun 11, 2022
mufutau55:

Was there no security or mai-guard employed for the site at this stage of the project?

Hajji M.

No security sir.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rotecch77(m): 2:22pm On Jun 11, 2022
topsy23:

Very serious, a whole tank. It means they brought car to pick the tank. It's something that they can put in bag

The thing surprised me, I called bale guys they told me of same issue with others people like already fixed aluminum window theft, cable, iron rod …. I gave up
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 2:24pm On Jun 11, 2022
topsy23:

No security sir.

They needed that... small cost compared to losses now and future.

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by GloriousGbola: 2:35pm On Jun 11, 2022
EgunMogaji2:

Security through obscurity

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by GloriousGbola: 2:39pm On Jun 11, 2022
topsy23:

I think you may want hidden solar powered cameras. The only way. You may be shocked at who is actually involved. You may even find the items are still hidden on site

You can also consider engaging a security company - who will bear liabity for any stolen items. We had issues like this on some projects and when we waved the liability, it cascaded down to the security officer who made stolen items reappear.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Aventures(m): 3:10pm On Jun 11, 2022
Dirkcoyt:
To be honest entering a storey building dey fear me . My grandpa own a 20 rooms storey build with a decking typical ring road ibadan style and it’s still standing for 50 years counting now ! My grandpa was just a company mechanic with leventis then with just the usual standard 6 education . To be honest I don’t think he gave his building to any structural engineer or what not and that house still remains solid till now likewise all other build around that area . They were mostly handled by the baba latis. I have never had fear standing on what seems like the 3rd layer where the decking is where I can peep into palms mall and chill to have a view of cocoa house and liberty stadium but I must say I do be shit scared of stepping into the so called engineers that build modern storey buildings nowadays .

Now judging from these factors . I don’t want to believe the Baba latis know more than the trained certified engineers I just want to believe the difference between then and now are as follows;

1. Good quality of materials (when I hit the walls of my grandpa house and feel the sound I can tell the difference between the new ones and old ones , when I see the iron bars it’s more thicker and stronger than new ones)
2. These people never even did soil test etc yet it’s solid so what could we say ? Too much of education ruining it ? Or what ?
3. Experience is lacking in nowadays ?
4. Before you become a Baba lati then I think you will have served your boss so longtime before you start handling projects of your own but nowadays we rush to handle gigantic projects with less experience

I really don’t know why buildings are falling but we must look at what we did then that’s different now .

To think if you start from the very beginning of ring road ibadan to challenge, Oke ado , all you see are storey buildings all these old people built storey building like it’s nothing and it was all built by Baba latis . In modern times we struggle to even build bungalows and we claim we’ve arrived . And only for the few amongst us that can afford to build a storey building we still couldn’t build it properly only for it to fall. Naija which way now I’m tired !
The old buildings built by the so called baba lati's are standing strong today for following reasons.

1. A very high quality materials
2. No compromise as country wasn't this hard and everybody was ok then
3. Don't be deceived that those baba lati's were absolutely lacking a former training most of them were draughtsman with some training under foreign experts.
4. There are enough land to buy in good location so nobody was jostling to buy swamp and the likes

Concerning soil test: Like I said earlier that most people built on a good soil then. Bit some equally made mistake of building wrongly, i grew up in Ibadan and in 80s during my primary school I know a house by my school that sank completely as in a whole house enter ground completely. So please don't joke with soil test where necessary.

8 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FEGEITOK: 4:10pm On Jun 11, 2022
GloriousGbola:

I think you may want hidden solar powered cameras. The only way. You may be shocked at who is actually involved. You may even find the items are still hidden on site

You can also consider engaging a security company - who will bear liabity for any stolen items. We had issues like this on some projects and when we waved the liability, it cascaded down to the security officer who made stolen items reappear.

This issue has arisen before in the last 6 months on this forum.

The solution is active and passive security measures like recommended above.

If there is no deterrence in place, people will take advantage of opportunities like the above discussed millions of naira (in kind) lying unmonitored, that's a big opportunity to cash out with minimal investment.

With times as hard as this, why will someone without morals not consider taking advantage?

The way out is to think like a thief to catch a thief.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (3020) (3021) (3022) (3023) (3024) (3025) (3026) ... (3680) (Reply)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.