Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,885 members, 7,817,610 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:27 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (3175) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4391203 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (3172) (3173) (3174) (3175) (3176) (3177) (3178) ... (3667) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Abbeyb1ack: 7:03pm On Oct 15, 2022
Yes

topsy23:

Hmmm and pop have been completed
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by money121(m): 7:25pm On Oct 15, 2022
Blessedsunny2:

Thanks God bless you
boss thanks for showing him at the factory today
will be expecting ur update

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Goodman001: 7:59pm On Oct 15, 2022
House please help,look at the casting of my ongoing parapet.. I posted the form work some pages back..we began casting , please I am kind of young and these guys(engineer and workers) don’t like hearing or taking my words..I usually need to shout and insist before they hear me..they claim to know it all better than me…so Abeg house help and look at these work.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by joedguy: 8:22pm On Oct 15, 2022
Sir i dont have the picture, It was suggested by the mason.Is just 2blocks of mini flat
abdulwastecx:

Do you have a picture of the same gravel?

What is the size of the building that you want to work on?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 8:22pm On Oct 15, 2022
Slimszy:

Greetings Sir, thank you for your input.

I just checked today and the height of the surrounding floor is higher than the DPC. I noticed quality of the DPC material was light too.

Ps: I bought the house and I didn't build from scratch. I only did the finishing

Was a PROPER German floor done? I hope you understand what a "German floor" is. From the photos you uploaded, what is the topography of the area? The photos look like you have a permamoist soil. With such topography, a PROPER German floor is crucial. It may be that your DPC has failed spectacularly leading to rising damp. The solution is to arrest the rising damp. Solution proffered so far by some knowledgeable forum members will come to waste if the solution does not include arresting the rising damp. You may protect the walls for all you care, but water will always find its level.

There are ways to arrest a rising damp but I'm not sure if the needed materials are widely available in Nigeria. For me, I will get a DPC Cream and inject into the wall. See the attached photos.

To apply a DPC Cream, dig down to blinding level of your foundation. Why? I will come to this later.

Take a level above ground level and drill hole at intervals INTO THE MORTAR of the blocks around the external perimeter of the external walls (see photo). Mind you, the way we lay our blocks, the mortar line will not be straight. Drill on the mortar, not the blocks. This solution will be particularly challenging if hollow blocks were used. This takes me to the next part.

Blow out the durst from the drilled holes and inject generous amount of the DPC Cream into the holes. What will happen, the cream will diffuse to form a DPM (damp proof membrane) stopping the rising damp.

The second part is; you've dug down to the BLINDING LEVEL of your foundation. Now wrap the external perimeter walls with a DPM. Get a carpenter to build a formwork of about 3 or 4 inches thick around the perimeter of the foundation and then pour a rich concrete mix into the formwork JUST BELOW the injected DPC CREAM. The DPC Cream should stop the rising damp and the concrete cast should protect the walls.

Then floor your compound. No interlocking for you. I've seen this done in Eastern Europe. Highly effective where the German floor fails with age or not done properly.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by money121(m): 10:04pm On Oct 15, 2022
Deal Done cool Ikorodu here we come Imranroofing

Oga rotecch77 thanks for the Refer We Appreciate

For Your Quality Roofing Sheet Whatsapp 08085310359

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rotecch77(m): 10:11pm On Oct 15, 2022
diordaves:

Was a PROPER German floor done? I hope you understand what a "German floor" is. From the photos you uploaded, what is the topography of the area? The photos look like you have a permamoist soil. With such topography, a PROPER German floor is crucial. It may be that your DPC has failed spectacularly leading to rising damp. The solution is to arrest the rising damp. Solution proffered so far by some knowledgeable forum members will come to waste if the solution does not include arresting the rising damp. You may protect the walls for all you care, but water will always find its level.

There are ways to arrest a rising damp but I'm not sure if the needed materials are widely available in Nigeria. For me, I will get a DPC Cream and inject into the wall. See the attached photos.

To apply a DPC Cream, dig down to blinding level of your foundation. Why? I will come to this later.

Take a level above ground level and drill hole at intervals INTO THE MORTAR of the blocks around the external perimeter of the external walls (see photo). Mind you, the way we lay our blocks, the mortar line will not be straight. Drill on the mortar, not the blocks. This solution will be particularly challenging if hollow blocks were used. This takes me to the next part.

Blow out the durst from the drilled holes and inject generous amount of the DPC Cream into the holes. What will happen, the cream will diffuse to form a DPM (damp proof membrane) stopping the rising damp.

The second part is; you've dug down to the BLINDING LEVEL of your foundation. Now wrap the external perimeter walls with a DPM. Get a carpenter to build a formwork of about 3 or 4 inches thick around the perimeter of the foundation and then pour a rich concrete mix into the formwork JUST BELOW the injected DPC CREAM. The DPC Cream should stop the rising damp and the concrete cast should protect the walls.

Then floor your compound. No interlocking for you. I've seen this done in Eastern Europe. Highly effective where the German floor fails with age or not done properly.

That remind me of “ maintenance tech &facilities mgt in sch then.

Topic then was ; Rising dampness ( it’s diff to Dampness, it’s 2 diff meaning )
It’s was about 5 pages on my note then.

“ The Solution is about 3-4
1. Latex Siliconate solution
2. Dpc (I) The use of Engineering Blk
(I I) bituminous felt
(III) Electro- osmosis

1.Silicon-ate solution comes in 2 types . The tube and the gallon type. … apply by injecting it into bore holes on the wall ( handle by pro)

2 Engr block : this is very effect here in Africa, mostly in Nigeria, I prefer this method bcs I have used it in many places and I can guaranty it 90 pec effective ( there is and Alternative to this if you can’t find the engr block) there is a technics on how to carry out this system) it required time and real monitoring/ supervision.

3 bitumen solution is also good
4. Electro- osmosis: this system is not common here in Nigeria, its commonly used in POLAR REGION country like ; Canada, Iceland etc where there is snow or perennial water lodge area.

Materials used in carrying out this method are
Car battery
Cable wire
Electrodes
Tube

Much explanation on this later when I have much time

But the system I used mostly is that of Engineering block.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rotecch77(m): 10:13pm On Oct 15, 2022
money121:

Yes we constructed the building (Arbo contractor Ltd ) for a member here.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Twostep: 11:34pm On Oct 15, 2022
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FEGEITOK: 11:57pm On Oct 15, 2022
Slimszy:

Thank you for your input.

Yes, the picture attached is an interior wall. The exterior is covered with tyrolene.

Actually I bought the building as carcass and did the finishing. At the point of buying, I didn't notice any form of dampness maybe because it was during the dry season, earlier this year.

My question about the position of the wall was very specific.

I solved the problem of dampness in internal walls that share nothing with the exterior. I also solved the problem of dampness with one wall whose opposite side is the exterior. But I did notice that that side of the house is higher than the outer floor.

But there is one wall that I did not solve the problem of dampness. Inside is a room and outside is the exterior. One thing I observed is that the interior floor was lower than the exterior floor. In numbers, the length between the window sill and the inner floor was 40 inches or about 100cm on the inside, but the length between the window sill and the outer floor was 25 inches or about 64cm. My response was as follows, evacuated the soil externally so that the space between the window sill and the outer floor was 54 inches or about 137cm.

As someone has rightly said, it is a recipe for disaster for the inner floor to be lower than the outer floor.

Now before I did the evacuation, I broke down the floor of the room that has issues and was able to observe water pouring into the house along the block perimeter during rains. Now you understand why the inner floor should be higher and not lower than the other floor.

You have to be very sure whether it is rising damp or penetrating damp you are fighting.

You also need to know that there are at least 4 ways or means of water finding its way into your property.

To solve this problem, you need to understand how water interacts with your building so you don't fight symptoms but the root cause.

By the way, this is an ongoing experiment. I have not yet had time to observe the effect of the soil evacuation because of extremely hectic work schedule, but once I do I will report.I will elaborate on the 4 ways or means tomorrow, I have to sleep.

I have shared some of my research here: https://www.nairaland.com/7351815/home-remodeling-diy-fight-against

I have also shared my formula for plastering inner walls that have resisted water for over 5 years now. Search for it.

Plaster sand is not your friend, if you want to fight water. Ignore whatever your masons tell you. They do what they have always done, they have not researched this issue as well as I have.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Abbeyb1ack: 12:16am On Oct 16, 2022
Dm its needed...

Twostep:
Good evening my people, please I have this gate for sale. I was just going to respray it but friends suggested the gate doesn’t be fit the structure hence I have purchased another and reason for sale.

Size is about 14 by 8 in wideness and height and location is Ikotun environs.

Also I would like to have an idea of how much at the least I can get for this because it was purchased with the property hence I don’t have an idea of the possible cost range .

Ps the new gate set me back 750k cry so I am looking to reasonably recover some of the expense

Thank you
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Olumighty123(m): 4:25am On Oct 16, 2022
Twostep:
Good evening my people, please I have this gate for sale. I was just going to respray it but friends suggested the gate doesn’t be fit the structure hence I have purchased another and reason for sale.

Also I would like to have an idea of how much at the least I can get for this because it was purchased with the property hence I don’t have an idea of the possible cost range .

Ps the new gate set me back 750k cry so I am looking to reasonably recover some of the expense

Thank you

Is it a slidding gate?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by michlins(m): 12:58pm On Oct 16, 2022
Twostep:

Thank you
this one will cost me about 200-250 to make. So you should expect like 100-150

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Twostep: 1:11pm On Oct 16, 2022
Yes it is.

Olumighty123:

Is it a slidding gate?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Twostep: 1:12pm On Oct 16, 2022
Thanks my oga. Appreciate!!

michlins:
this one will cost me about 200-250 to make. So you should expect like 100-150
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kiekie1(m): 1:33pm On Oct 16, 2022
kiekie1:
BRAND NEW SOLAR MATERIALS! FLASH SALES!!!

Schneider 1.5kva 24v (1000w inbuilt solar controller) hybrid pure sine wave inverter ... 98,000

Afripower 1kva 12v pure sinewave inverter ... 65,000

Afripower 1.1kva 12v (inbuilt 40a mppt) pure sinewave inverter .... 95,000

Afripower 2kva 24v pure sine wave inverter... 105,000

Afripower 2.5kva 24v pure sinewave inverter .... 125,000

USA Trojan 12v 205a battery..... 270,000

Monbat 12v 200a Bulgarian battery... 240,000

Canadian 550w mono panel ... 165,000
Canadian 600w mono panel .. 180,000

Era 400w black mono panel ... 125,000

JA solar 455w mono panel ..... 140,000

Longi 450w mono panel ........ 139,000
Longi 540w mono panel ........ 164,000

Jinko 400w mono panel .......... 125,000
Jinko 550w mono panel .......... 164,000
Jinko 560w mono panel .......... 169,000

Mc4 connector .... 1000
Mc4 2 way connector .... 4000
Mc4 3 way connector .... 6000

Foreign pro solar roof mount set (4.2 & 4.6m rail, Lfoots , end & mid clamps) which cab comfortably take upto 4 units of 600w big solar panels ...... 70,000

100 meters Pure copper solar cables (Red & Black pair)
4mm² single core ..... 80,000
6mm² single core ..... 100,000
10mm² single core ... 200,000
16mm² single core .... 250,000
6mm² double core .... 240,000

Also available:
-Programmable auto voltage 63a LCD devices
-AC / DC Surge protect
-DC breakers (40,63,125a) range
-Mppt solar controllers
-PWM solar controllers
-Neatly used Victron 12v 700w multiplus inverter
-Programmable timer switch (16 & 30a) range
-Solar water heaters
-Solar water pumps
-Tubular batteries Distilled water & Electrolytes
-Lithium batteries etc ....

For further enquiry & transactions,
Contact,
Smartcell global services
CALL ONLY:: 081-350-31951
WHATSAPP::: http://.us/w/?c=a46ea5

Available
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kiekie1(m): 1:36pm On Oct 16, 2022
WE BUY DEAD/SCRAP BATTERIES!!!

We also buy off scrap/dead deep cycle batteries from any state to Lagos (Terms & Condition applies) .

12v 200a .... N23,000
12v 150a.....N17,000
12v 100a.......N11,000
2v 500a ......N6,000

Free pickup within some parts of Lagos mainland ! Shared cost logistics within Lagos Island environs . . If outside Lagos state , send the scrap batteries to your nearby Lagos park & get your payment alert immediately after confirmatory remarks from me with the transport company manager / secretary or driver (shared logistics cost depending on scrap battery quantity) ..

Contact,
Smartcell global services
CALL:: 081-350-31951
WHATSAPP::: http://.us/w/?c=a46ea5

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Olumighty123(m): 1:45pm On Oct 16, 2022
Twostep:
Yes it is.

How much is it going for sir?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Twostep: 4:56pm On Oct 16, 2022
Make a reasonable offer

Olumighty123:

How much is it going for sir?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Olumighty123(m): 5:21pm On Oct 16, 2022
Twostep:
Make a reasonable offer

Let's start with you sir, it's your thing and you can do it how you want
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Beframia: 5:44pm On Oct 16, 2022
diordaves:

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Twostep: 6:18pm On Oct 16, 2022
Ok, I will take 300k for it.

Olumighty123:

Let's start with you sir, it's your thing and you can do it how you want
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by redgem(f): 7:53pm On Oct 16, 2022
Twostep:
Ok, I will take 300k for it.

Michlins gave the cost estimate to create the kind of your gate....you should use it as a guide to fix your price.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by michlins(m): 8:05pm On Oct 16, 2022
redgem:

Michlins gave the cost estimate to create the kind of your gate....you should use it as a guide to fix your price.
kindly know that my location is a factor on my price. It can be much higher elsewhere

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 8:12pm On Oct 16, 2022
abdulwastecx:

All these are excellent points coming from years of Engineering and construction experience.

1. I would say, surely that QS should do the take-off and allow the contractors to put the rate. A mechanism can be put in place to verify that the items are delivered based on the specifications. For example, Concrete grade can be verified by cube tests, block strengths, steel strength,
etc can be very by material testing.

2. I think there is no way to solve this problem of contractor greed. Also, I've observed that people-trained engineers are more aware of the actions of cutting corners and not really building according to building codes. I'm not saying this because I'm an engineer or biased towards the civil/structural engineering profession. Also, I'll advise that when you can't hire a civil/structural engineer to build your structural frames/Carcass for any building over a bungalow you should hire them as a consultant.

3. Quality control is one of the most important parts of construction. For example, the difference between M15 and M25 can be a lack of monitoring and poor quality control. too much water in like half a bucket can weaken concrete by more than 50%. A lack of vibration may render it very weak that which will allow the rebar to corrode etc. I would put that durability is as important as the strength of the concrete. Quality control requires that you have an expert on-site to make sure that materials meet specifications and that construction is done based on guidelines.

Well said Oga Abdul..

But I don't think there are people trained "Engineers".

At best, they are foremen.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 8:15pm On Oct 16, 2022
Aventures:
In addition, in a process whereby clients wants to choose his sub contractors for stuff like POP, Electrical, Tiling, Smart home fittings, Aluminum should not be a problem to any contractor at all. But I will advice a synergy from planning stage. That is the client should choose his preferred sub contractors and carried them along from the beginning, review the plans together along with the designers and main contractors, draw out approved specifications for each trade and note all the sub contractors should be supervised by the main contractors at a reasonable fee. The reason behind this is to avoid blame shift, hinderances for effective execution of any aspect of sub contractors work, for example if you bring in a low voltage/smarthome contractor at a later time, executing his work may be difficult or in process he may damage some imbeeded conduits in the process of breaking wall. If such has been introduce from onset he would be invited for his input time to time to facilitate easy and perfect installation.

Main contractors should be the eye of client in this regards because the overall Glory still comes to him when the house is well and tastefully delivered.

Planning, Planning, Planning and more Planning...

When planning is done quite effectively, Execution becomes a walk in the park.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by homicsblinks: 8:39pm On Oct 16, 2022

Twostep:

Thank you
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by chocho1: 9:03pm On Oct 16, 2022
[quote author=Twostep post=117594545]Good evening my people, please I have this gate for sale. I was just going to respray it but friends suggested the gate doesn’t be fit the structure hence I have purchased another and reason for sale.

I am interested if its cheap 100k
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 9:07pm On Oct 16, 2022
Abbeyb1ack:
Area is well secure....naso I reach site see say all electrical wire Don miss for roof ...camouflage was left on the socket

Wow. Sorry.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by darenyx(m): 9:46pm On Oct 16, 2022
money121:

Nice 1, I’m 101% sure I designed this grin

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by redgem(f): 10:44pm On Oct 16, 2022
michlins:
kindly know that my location is a factor on my price. It can be much higher elsewhere

It is still a guide isn't it? I did not tell him to make it expensive or cheap, I only told him to use your comment as a guide since he said he doesn't know the value of the gate.

(1) (2) (3) ... (3172) (3173) (3174) (3175) (3176) (3177) (3178) ... (3667) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: gbadexy(m), playces, SanniOluwafemi(m) and 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.