Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,793 members, 7,820,785 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:35 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (3311) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4404650 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (3308) (3309) (3310) (3311) (3312) (3313) (3314) ... (3670) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by GloriousGbola: 1:06pm On Jan 28, 2023
One of the reasons you are advised to package yourself before you meet with clients is wealthy clients do not like doing business with people who are overly aggressive with money.

A lot of clients have a plan to pay for their services, but the Buhari economy is also playing its part. I had a guy I was owing for two months because I had not been paid. The moment I got paid I paid him and he himself said I over paid him.

Some clients are bad and you should just chalk that to experience. But if you fight with the client most of the time na yourself you dey do.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FEGEITOK: 1:16pm On Jan 28, 2023
GloriousGbola:
One of the reasons you are advised to package yourself before you meet with clients is wealthy clients do not like doing business with people who are overly aggressive with money.

A lot of clients have a plan to pay for their services, but the Buhari economy is also playing its part. I had a guy I was owing for two months because I had not been paid. The moment I got paid I paid him and he himself said I over paid him.

Some clients are bad and you should just chalk that to experience. But if you fight with the client most of the time na yourself you dey do.

If you give them a quote, just go and rest.

No need to do daily checking in, that deal you promised how far.

Even payment, submit an invoice and wait. No need to do daily checking in.

If you must check in, space it out, like reminding them nicely after 7 days or 14 days or 30 days, but daily reminders will send you faster than you can imagine to the blacklist.

Those guys are carrying a lot of responsibility.

They will get back to you.

I got to appreciate this truth when I got a deal valued so large that I found myself adopting the same approaches those I consider to be rich adopt in limiting access to them, and also dealing with those who pestered me for this or that, and only dealing with anyone when I have dealt with matters I considered to be more directly related to the execution of the high-value deal that I had just gotten.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by money121(m): 1:35pm On Jan 28, 2023
Aluminium parapet and Stone coated Roofing sheet

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by coldcandy: 1:39pm On Jan 28, 2023
Philipgarza31:
and what's wrong with an online design service, madam or Mr man go back to your 90s and stay there if you have nothing reasonable to say.

Well oga or madam, it's a matter of personal choice as I stated. What works for you may not work for me.
There are very good architects where I live.
I enjoy the interaction with my architect. For a two week work we would meet like three times at his workstation with a bottle of wine. Any grey areas or modifications are attended to and we move on to next stage. I don't know how to modify a pdf drawing and I don't understand enough English to adequately describe what I want over phone calls. If your yahoo copy and paste methods work for you that's fine. Every mallam carry his own kettle.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by folmus: 1:40pm On Jan 28, 2023
Oandy89:
End of conversation for me. You need more to learn in business moving forward.Good luck bro. Don't enter my DM, will reach out.

Please, do reach out to him so that everything is sorted amicably.

Cheers!

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ngBuild: 1:42pm On Jan 28, 2023
coldcandy:

Well oga or madam, it's a matter of personal choice as I stated. What works for you may not work for me.
I enjoy the interaction with my architect. For a two week work we would meet like three times at his workstation with a bottle of wine. Any grey areas or modifications are attended to and we move on to next stage. I don't know how to modify a pdf drawing and I don't understand enough English to adequately describe what I want over phone calls. If your yahoo copy and paste methods work for you that's fine. Every mallam carry his own kettle.
Are you saying it's normal for a client to hold part of the Architect's money even after the full drawing have been sent all because the client is waiting for a third party to review the drawing..…. Which was never in agreement or whatsoever?

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by coldcandy: 1:52pm On Jan 28, 2023
ngBuild:

Are you saying it's normal for a client to hold part of the Architect's money even after the full drawing have been sent all because the client is waiting for a third party to review the drawing..…. Which was never in agreement or whatsoever?

It is very normal for a client to keep a balance of payments until the service is done to his satisfaction.
Are you a service provider?

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Philipgarza31: 1:59pm On Jan 28, 2023
coldcandy:

and what next do you also prefer, cash to online transfers! Ewu!! Get lost poor kid.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by coldcandy: 2:23pm On Jan 28, 2023
Philipgarza31:
and what next do you also prefer, cash to online transfers! Ewu!! Get lost poor kid.
Lol

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by debeey87(m): 3:28pm On Jan 28, 2023
MrOkenwa:

If na me, I won’t negotiate this nonsense.
There’s a sawmill along obasanjo road, not far from the state hospital Ota. If you cross to the other side, okada guys can take you to another one inside Oloko side.
If you don’t want to go through much stress. There’s a small sawmill at a street along oju ore ilogbo road (Ahmed Akindele Street) . That Ahmed Akindele is a wood seller and you can trust him.
I have a property in Afobaje area. I paid 80k for my woodwork (Initial quote was 250k I think) back in 2016 and used about 60% of the quoted woods, all because of that man. I don’t have his contact again but he’s somewhere along that axis.
Building a property in Ota is not for the faint hearted. I must commend you sir.

Thank you baba mi. The wahala plenty. Workmen sef go wan chop your head comot
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by redgem(f): 3:30pm On Jan 28, 2023
Person2person:

Do not use MDF for the cabinet carcass, rather use HDF for the carcass and mdf for the doors if you want to save cost.

If you can share the design and size of the kitchen, I can give you a guide.

Goodluck..

Hi, good afternoon... I had to search for this your message again.. I am about to do kitchen cabinets...just like the layout below but Kitchen size is 12.26 sqm..

Please how do I go about the materials if I am to use both hdf and mdf boards?

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Philipgarza31: 4:40pm On Jan 28, 2023
FEGEITOK:
In the light of the fracas in the last couple of hours, I wish to share a story.

I was introduced to a lady by a professional friend. The lady lived out of town. I had to travel quite a way to meet her, I did not drive, I took Uber there and back. We discussed and she agreed to deal. I told her she would bear the cost of my transportation to and fro, she agreed.

But she did not pay. Not that day, not the next week, the next month, or several months later.

I did not bother her, but I was extremely upset. I shared those thoughts with the Uber driver who took me back home. We all discussed how those rich people like to take advantage of those they feel are beneath them.

Yet every time she reached out, I was as polite as possible and never raised the issue of the transportation that never came.

However, just last month, this lady reached out and berated me for not reminding her about the transportation cost, asked for my account details, and then wired the money to me.

Then she explained that she was out of the country and just returned.

Then in the last few days contacted me again and said that she had decided to work with me since that meeting and then give me a new contract, and paid upfront.

Then promised to wire me even more funds next week.

She then made it clear, she will be hiring my services on a rolling basis for the foreseeable future.

I think it pays to take the long-term view in business and not the short-term view.

I am sure I have passed a message.

so your point is a lazy and patient dog eats the fattest bone however if the bone doesn't come you can move on, if no money on you then download one of those online loan apps and get a loan. But if called by another client exhibit the same cowardice and spend your cash on fuel and wait patiently again for the client to call you after 6months. Hope I got your message well and If I didn't please explain it well to me because that analogy of yours is something I don't even want to understand in my life..
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by BrickDevo: 4:47pm On Jan 28, 2023
Philipgarza31:
so your point is a lazy and patient dog eats the fattest bone however if the bone doesn't come you can move on, if no money on you then download one of those online loan apps and get a loan. But if called by another client exhibit the same cowardice and spend your cash on fuel and wait patiently again for the client to call you after 6months. Hope I got your message well and If I didn't please explain it well to me because that analogy of yours is something I don't even want to understand in my life..
Don't mind him, the other guy said the client can take however long he wants until he's satisfied before he can make full payment.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by debeey87(m): 6:06pm On Jan 28, 2023
MrOkenwa:

If na me, I won’t negotiate this nonsense.
There’s a sawmill along obasanjo road, not far from the state hospital Ota. If you cross to the other side, okada guys can take you to another one inside Oloko side.
If you don’t want to go through much stress. There’s a small sawmill at a street along oju ore ilogbo road (Ahmed Akindele Street) . That Ahmed Akindele is a wood seller and you can trust him.
I have a property in Afobaje area. I paid 80k for my woodwork (Initial quote was 250k I think) back in 2016 and used about 60% of the quoted woods, all because of that man. I don’t have his contact again but he’s somewhere along that axis.
Building a property in Ota is not for the faint hearted. I must commend you sir.

This amount you paid back then was just for the wood work or the entire job itself
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by MrOkenwa(m): 6:28pm On Jan 28, 2023
debeey87:

This amount you paid back then was just for the wood work or the entire job itself
Woodwork.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Abbeyb1ack: 6:28pm On Jan 28, 2023
SMH

Philipgarza31:
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by sonnie10: 8:38pm On Jan 28, 2023
sethtsadopp:

From what I could see, the thinness was same. But will still confirm from both of them again on Monday. Thinking of checking a third and 4th place too

If you have the means to get it in Lagos, the biggest outlet for marble and granite in Nigeria is along Oshodi Apapa expressway.
Coming from mile 2 toward Oshodi, the bus stop is Itire .
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Blessedsunny2(m): 8:51pm On Jan 28, 2023
Still your blessed sunny global tiles dealer

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Person2person(m): 9:05pm On Jan 28, 2023
redgem:

Hi, good afternoon... I had to search for this your message again.. I am about to do kitchen cabinets...just like the layout below but Kitchen size is 12.26 sqm..

Please how do I go about the materials if I am to use both hdf and mdf boards?

Share your kitchen plan with the measurements. I will help you sketch the cabinet arrangements and materials needed to execute it
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by redgem(f): 10:01pm On Jan 28, 2023
Person2person:

Share your kitchen plan with the measurements. I will help you sketch the cabinet arrangements and materials needed to execute it

Thanks.. 1st was the initial plan but I changed it to the second one 12.26sqm

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kalu61(m): 10:52pm On Jan 28, 2023
mangolpupa:
Any electrical in the house, available for work? Location will be East. If interested and available, please drop your details and I will reach out.
I can provide you with one.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by inze(m): 12:22am On Jan 29, 2023
Person2person:

Correct guy, thank for doing to me what you're about to do here. Honestly lost your contact, kindly reach out and let's grease some elbow.

Muncho Gracias

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ChiefSupplier55(m): 3:47am On Jan 29, 2023
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ChiefSupplier55(m): 3:49am On Jan 29, 2023

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 6:27am On Jan 29, 2023
rotecch77:
We gives thanks to Almighty God for the journey of this project so far, 10 flats. ( twins building)

Well done
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Person2person(m): 6:54am On Jan 29, 2023
redgem:

Thanks.. 1st was the initial plan but I changed it to the second one 12.26sqm

Madam, I need the linear measurements on all the four sides, the 12.26sqm you stated is the area. I need linear measurement not area.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Person2person(m): 6:57am On Jan 29, 2023
inze:

Correct guy, thank for doing to me what you're about to do here. Honestly lost your contact, kindly reach out and let's grease some elbow.

Muncho Gracias

Thanks! 08063073913.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rotecch77(m): 7:11am On Jan 29, 2023
KolaShangOne:

Well done
Thanks chief, I really appreciated

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 7:20am On Jan 29, 2023
FEGEITOK:
In the light of the fracas in the last couple of hours, I wish to share a story.

I was introduced to a lady by a professional friend. The lady lived out of town. I had to travel quite a way to meet her, I did not drive, I took Uber there and back. We discussed and she agreed to deal. I told her she would bear the cost of my transportation to and fro, she agreed.

But she did not pay. Not that day, not the next week, the next month, or several months later.

I did not bother her, but I was extremely upset. I shared those thoughts with the Uber driver who took me back home. We all discussed how those rich people like to take advantage of those they feel are beneath them.

Yet every time she reached out, I was as polite as possible and never raised the issue of the transportation that never came.

However, just last month, this lady reached out and berated me for not reminding her about the transportation cost, asked for my account details, and then wired the money to me.

Then she explained that she was out of the country and just returned.

Then in the last few days contacted me again and said that she had decided to work with me since that meeting and then give me a new contract, and paid upfront.

Then promised to wire me even more funds next week.

She then made it clear, she will be hiring my services on a rolling basis for the foreseeable future.

I think it pays to take the long-term view in business and not the short-term view.

I am sure I have passed a message.

Of course it's good to treat each other (both customer and client) in the most respectable manner. It's worth noting that this case you described is just 1 out of 20.

Service providers see alot of "shege" with clients. And you just have to let it go or find redress.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FEGEITOK: 7:27am On Jan 29, 2023
KolaShangOne:

Of course it's good to treat each other (both customer and client) in the most respectable manner. It's worth noting that this case you described is just 1 out of 20.

Service providers see alot of "shege" with clients. And you just have to let it go or find redress.

I am a service provider.

I graduated from mainly providing services to individuals to providing services to corporate clients - governments (Federal and State) and corporate entities and international organizations.

Under no circumstances can one call any of those out for delay in payment and then get business from any other similar organization.

Under no circumstances can one disparage those officers handling your file and still expect business and new deals.

One of them even told me, we have a small circle, do nonsense to one, and you have done nonsense to all.

It is from that background that I speak.

I still have individuals as clients but I use the same rules to guide all my interactions

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by GloriousGbola: 7:30am On Jan 29, 2023
KolaShangOne:

It is also about other potential opportunities you can get from people associated with the client. I have a guy who brought a job to me, pushed a very low quote that i took. Project is stalled and I am not paid. Then out of the blue the guy calls me and hooks me up to a far more lucrative client.

I guess you must be able to properly gauge the character of your client and plan accordingly.

However the truth is that initiating fights never ends well. Las Las you get your money but that door is closed forever.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FEGEITOK: 7:35am On Jan 29, 2023
GloriousGbola:

It is also about other potential opportunities you can get from people associated with the client. I have a guy who brought a job to me, pushed a very low quote that i took. Project is stalled and I am not paid. Then out of the blue the guy calls me and hooks me up to a far more lucrative client.

I guess you must be able to properly gauge the character of your client and plan accordingly.

However the truth is that initiating fights never ends well. Las Las you get your money but that door is closed forever.

I did training for one of Nigeria's agencies. One of the trainees loved what I did so much that he connected me to another top shot at another agency. I excelled again and then I was introduced to another agency and from there my company found its way into the national budget and my biggest deal ever.

Be very careful about burning bridges.

That is all I have to say, I have said too much already.

(1) (2) (3) ... (3308) (3309) (3310) (3311) (3312) (3313) (3314) ... (3670) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: kopell, rmx, Francis8999, RockOfAgesAlumi(m), cynic411(f), Shady92(m) and 7 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.