Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,867 members, 7,862,892 topics. Date: Monday, 17 June 2024 at 08:29 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (349) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4505978 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (346) (347) (348) (349) (350) (351) (352) ... (3695) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by 3strikes: 10:23pm On Jun 20, 2016
I just love this thread................ grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by write2obi(m): 10:24pm On Jun 20, 2016
Hope oga Muyesky is not over qualified for this contest?
Cos i'm sure he's gonna win it. grin
That guy na PG when it comes to welding.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by allCopacetic: 10:27pm On Jun 20, 2016
As much as i would love to be the smart guy to be credited with the ingenious solution, or chop the possible prize money up for grabs...there's really no honour in that.
there are existing designs that more or less check all the needed boxes as per funcionality.

Apparently permanent burglar bars are quite a major issue in many countries considering the huge safety challange they pose.

The videos below show the simplest and easiest concept of quick release system implementable on burglar bars. this idea betters most others in its simplicity, cost effectiveness, ease of implementationand fool proof application. pull the pin.... and voila,
ofcos the type of burglar bar in the vid and the method of installation differ from ours here but, the principle for the quick release is the same.
As earlier inferred, there are many other designs and ideas, like the foot operated lever or cable actuator type, as well as installation of a prefabricated quick release latch which involves burying the latch in the wall and the actuating of the release mechanism by the push of a button,etc... The below however is my preferred.
With a good metal fabricator and the right materials with adequate coating and finishing you can have a very neat setup that is practical and easy on the eyes.

the only modification i would make to this design would be the embedding of the angle bracket and lower mounting bracket in concrete (see pic, excuse the rough sketch) instead of screwing to the wall. otherwise, the setup is good to go...breach-wise . your average naija burglar wouldnt even think of this in the first place.
as a side note, it doesnt even have to be implemented on all windows, you could pick maybe one in each room or living space; preferably the least conspicuous window or that with the safest exit landing on the other side (especially for those who might need to jump out of their 5 storey building grin)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abFF4nsYCac

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdl1kjJBpmA

peace out

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by AZUH: 10:32pm On Jun 20, 2016
@mavverick . Wait oh . Is this you ?

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 10:37pm On Jun 20, 2016
allCopacetic:
As much as i would love to be the smart guy to be credited with the ingenious solution, or chop the possible prize money up for grabs...there's really no honour in that.
there are existing designs that more or less check all the needed boxes as per funcionality.

Apparently permanent burglar bars are quite a major issue in many countries considering the huge safety challange they pose.

The videos below show the simplest and easiest concept of quick release system implementable on burglar bars. this idea betters most others in its simplicity, cost effectiveness, ease of implementationand fool proof application. pull the pin.... and voila,
ofcos the type of burglar bar in the vid and the method of installation differ from ours here but, the principle for the quick release is the same.
As earlier inferred, there are many other designs and ideas, like the foot operated lever or cable actuator type, as well as installation of a prefabricated quick release latch which involves burying the latch in the wall and the actuating of the release mechanism by the push of a button,etc... The below however is my preferred.
With a good metal fabricator and the right materials with adequate coating and finishing you can have a very neat setup that is practical and easy on the eyes.

the only modification i would make to this design would be the embedding of the angle bracket and lower mounting bracket in concrete (see pic, excuse the rough sketch) instead of screwing to the wall. otherwise, the setup is good to go...breach-wise . your average naija burglar wouldnt even think of this in the first place.
as a side note, it doesnt even have to be implemented on all windows, you could pick maybe one in each room or living space; preferably the least conspicuous window or that with the safest exit landing on the other side (especially for those who might need to jump out of their 5 storey building grin)

peace out

Yep, one just have to do a simple design change to fit our concrete block builds.

There's nothing new here or at least that required the "colorful" brouhaha wink
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by peaceland(m): 10:40pm On Jun 20, 2016
@ all,
please all warriors should please let there be permanent peace please. Sometimes you just let go; though painful or hurting.
Surprised to be reading these things again.
Thanks

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by AZUH: 10:41pm On Jun 20, 2016
@mavverick just unclad and look for bosun .you are having sleepless night ? Just like me few months back ? E ya and you don't like going to native doctors ?

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mavverick: 10:49pm On Jun 20, 2016
Are we surprised that a so called builder has stopped building houses ?
Not a single happy client !

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mavverick: 10:49pm On Jun 20, 2016
Silence can be a golden answer for fools !!

AZUH:
@mavverick just unclad and look for bosun .you are having sleepless night ? Just like me few months back ? E ya and you don't like going to native doctors ?

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by AZUH: 10:59pm On Jun 20, 2016
@mavverick i nor chop one naira from your money . I am not supporting anyone .

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by agarawu23(m): 11:00pm On Jun 20, 2016
Mr Azuh my man is here grin

Oga 3strikes, I just weak o. I have been on net since morning till evening. Thanks for your vote she won first in the elemination round. With 470+ votes.

Oga mufu surprised me a lot, he was the first to pick my call and make a move. Much respect sir cool

Adeekiti baba, thanks I saw your vote wink

Brabus baba, u made it happen too and ofcus your votes count. Really appreciate.

Our one and only painter gbadexy, much respect sir . Thanks cool

Oga spyder I no see your vote but seems most ppl here don't understand how to vote. For making attempt, I appreciate sir cool same with Oga twinskenny baba baby smiley

Back2sender, thanks sir, really appreciate your vote.

Some voted but I ain't familiar with their monikers here. I appreciate cool

The contests is still on but I won't be posting links here since this thread is meant for a purpose. You can choose to vote her if u come across the thread on FP cool

Tho I will personally mention ppl i need their votes during the final round .

Thanks all. I appreciate smiley

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by AZUH: 11:10pm On Jun 20, 2016
@agarawu please becareful mavverick is not happy . He has being calling bosun , he said they are owing him .he said he is from AGbor in delta . He said many things and he doesn't like going to native doctors. Meaning bosun is free ?

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 11:42pm On Jun 20, 2016
AZUH:
@agarawu please becareful mavverick is not happy . He has being calling bosun , he said they are owing him .he said he is from AGbor in delta . He said many things and he doesn't like going to native doctors. Meaning bosun is free ?
This guy me nor Understand you ohhh one bit sometimes I feel like say nah me dey kolo grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ottersberger(m): 12:21am On Jun 21, 2016
AZUH:
@ agarawu @ egunmojagi , please help me . The mavverick on this forum . Is he a white man ?

ok AZUH, you're beyond redemption grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 1:06am On Jun 21, 2016
Hajj, how far?

Have you guys finally thawed out yet grin

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by msogunro: 2:17am On Jun 21, 2016
EgunMogaji:

Please take me with you sad

I'm longing for Iya Dunnis food canteen in Ibadan.

Amala to fele bi eti, ati ponmo to tika to tun ti muta grin

Boss, I've seen a property in Ibadan off New Ife road that I will purchase if my lawyer gives it a go ahead.

I want to get an idea of the total cost. Roughly how much did you pay for survey and processing your C of O?

I've fallen in love with the view.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 2:20am On Jun 21, 2016
msogunro:

Boss, I've seen a property in Ibadan off New Ife road that I will purchase if my lawyer gives it a go ahead.

I want to get an idea of the total cost. Roughly how much did you pay for survey and processing your C of O?

I've fallen in love with the view.

Survey was n50k per plot and I bought two plots. I haven't tackled cofo yet.

If your family is not near ife road, you should consider the traffic between there and Murtala.

Good luck sir.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by agarawu23(m): 3:42am On Jun 21, 2016
AZUH:
how do u know an unhappy fellow? grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by agarawu23(m): 3:42am On Jun 21, 2016
erico2k2:

This guy me nor Understand you ohhh one bit sometimes I feel like say nah me dey kolo grin grin grin
grin grin grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 3:43am On Jun 21, 2016
EgunMogaji:
Hajj, how far?
Have you guys finally thawed out yet grin

Not hot... but the humidity is killing...

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 3:45am On Jun 21, 2016
mufutau55:

Not hot... but the humidity is killing...

Hajji M.

This is why one shouldn't yaju si Agbalagba

I came home to a power outage sad

Way to start the first day of summer, it's going to be a long one.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 3:51am On Jun 21, 2016
EgunMogaji:

This is why one shouldn't yaju si Agbalagba
I came home to a power outage sad
Way to start the first day of summer, it's going to be a long one.

What! Due to heat I believe... when it starts in NYC, all the manhole will start explode and the heat always melt the underground cables to the extent that it causes underground fire... and then no underground trains; which is what we use mostly in NYC.
At least no total blackout like Naija...

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 4:00am On Jun 21, 2016
write2obi:
Hope oga Muyesky is not over qualified for this contest?
Cos i'm sure he's gonna win it. grin
That guy na PG when it comes to welding.

No not at all.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 4:10am On Jun 21, 2016
allCopacetic:

peace out

This is cool even though it wouldn't have won you the golden price if I'm the jury because the idea isn't new.

I love this concept so much. The video is just a perfect example of how I felt the submissions should be delivered. Again my eyes on you.

The design competition is meant to challenge creative designers, builders, homeowners and DIYers in Naija to bridge the boundaries of the design industry and promote a multidisciplinary dialogue towards alternative design solutions.
The price award for winners is to recognize their accomplishments towards bringing us closer to alternative design solutions.

This will encourage people in this platform to do things differently. You'll agree with me that we are too comfortable with traditions and it's killing us day-by-day.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Jessam: 4:34am On Jun 21, 2016
erico2k2:

To me its a waste of money, Im waiting to be proven wrong angry angry angry

The main purpose of a rain gutter is to protect a building's foundation by channeling water away from its base. The gutter also helps to reduce erosion, protects painted or stained surfaces by reducing exposure to water and provides a means to collect rainwater for later use. Rainwater is a natural element that can wreak havoc on a house if it’s not controlled by properly installed and maintained rain gutters. There are many misconceptions about gutters and as a result there are many mistakes homeowners are making. In some cases these mistakes are causing damage rather than preventing it.

The Benefits of Gutters
The importance of properly installed and maintained gutters can’t be stressed enough. Every house should have gutters. Here’s why rain gutters are so important:

Soil around the house is stabilized - even raft foundations can fail if there is not even sinking, the slab can fracture if one part of the building is sinking faster than the other, mostly the area that are water saturated sink faster i.e area around building with no guttering
Foundation problems can be avoided
Flooding under houses can be prevented
Erosion can be prevented and this preserves landscaping and turf
Water damage to siding can be prevented
Water staining of painted exterior walls and stone masonry can be prevented - thats why you see some buildings with green mould on exterior, thats excess moisture
Settling and cracking of sidewalks, interlock stone pavements and driveways can be lessened
Exterior doors adoors can be preserved

6 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 4:40am On Jun 21, 2016
Jessam:

The main purpose of a rain gutter is to protect a building's foundation by channeling water away from its base. The gutter also helps to reduce erosion, protects painted or stained surfaces by reducing exposure to water and provides a means to collect rainwater for later use. Rainwater is a natural element that can wreak havoc on a house if it’s not controlled by properly installed and maintained rain gutters. There are many misconceptions about gutters and as a result there are many mistakes homeowners are making. In some cases these mistakes are causing damage rather than preventing it.

The Benefits of Gutters
The importance of properly installed and maintained gutters can’t be stressed enough. Every house should have gutters. Here’s why rain gutters are so important:

Soil around the house is stabilized - even raft foundations can fail if there is not even sinking, the slab can fracture if one part of the building is sinking faster than the other, mostly the area that are water saturated sink faster i.e area around building with no guttering
Foundation problems can be avoided
Flooding under houses can be prevented
Erosion can be prevented and this preserves landscaping and turf
Water damage to siding can be prevented
Water staining of painted exterior walls and stone masonry can be prevented - thats why you see some buildings with green mould on exterior, thats excess moisture
Settling and cracking of sidewalks, interlock stone pavements and driveways can be lessened
Exterior doors adoors can be preserved

Correct.

I'm installing gutters under each sloped roof because:

1) I'm collecting water that can be used to water plants, wash cars, etc trying to be green

2) I'm going to tell water where it's going to go on my property.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 4:58am On Jun 21, 2016
-
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 5:21am On Jun 21, 2016
-

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 5:22am On Jun 21, 2016
I created a sort of emergency exit in my little project back in 2015 .Hoping this will help in the quest above
1. Shows view from inside.
2. View from outside.
3.View of the open burglary.
4.A form of clip that holds the burglary in place.
Note.
The burglary can only be open from inside,at least I can confirm that.
This is achieved by creating a very tight frame for the burglary.
The existence is only know to my family and the welder that fabricated it.
The exit is a bit hidden.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 5:26am On Jun 21, 2016
Nice one vicol. If you've got the time, a video clip of how the burglar proof opens won't be a bad idea. How easy is it to operate?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 5:33am On Jun 21, 2016
vicol:
I created a sort of emergency exit in my little project back in 2015 .Hoping this will help in the quest above
1. Shows view from inside.
2. View from outside.
3.View of the open burglary.
4.A form of clip that holds the burglary in place.
Note.
The burglary can only be open from inside,at least I can confirm that.
This is achieved by creating a very tight frame for the burglary.
The existence is only know to my family and the welder that fabricated it.
The exit is a bit hidden.

Brilliant.

I am very proud of you Sir. I am always appreciative of folks that talk the talk and then proceed to walk the walk.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 6:08am On Jun 21, 2016
n3xt:
Nice one vicol. If you've got the time, a video clip of how the burglar proof opens won't be a bad idea. How easy is it to operate?

I will try and find time to do a video clip as suggested. It requires a bit of force (pull) though.

2 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (346) (347) (348) (349) (350) (351) (352) ... (3695) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.