Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,886 members, 7,828,144 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 02:56 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (359) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4426619 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (356) (357) (358) (359) (360) (361) (362) ... (3674) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by segcymoor(m): 11:34am On Jun 23, 2016
[quote author=desiji post=46844993]
Must you always have an answer to everythiing?[/quote

Bros, look deeply. He is trying to clarify by showing understanding. But unfortunately, all this may enter 'deaf ear' because we are talking about huge figures sinking here!

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by NL1960: 11:36am On Jun 23, 2016
Qc1:

You may be right. I blame myself for hiring Brabus too. However, I didn't see the altacations between brabus and his other clinet before I arrived in Nigeria. I saw it the next day I arrived. By this time, I've transfered a large sum of money from my account in Canada to Nigerian already. Moreover, I've been granted leave of absence at my job for 3 months. So I have no choice but to continue with the build. I don't have to hire brabus, I could have hire other able builders on this forum.

I gave brabrus a second chance and I will live to regret it for the rest of my life!

You don't have to feel sorry for me. I look to God of which is where my help is going to come from. I pray that I get a second chance when I mess up one day because I know I'm far from perfect although I remain humble.

I'm just surprised how the management of this forum let this continue to happen.

It shall be well. You really did no wrong for giving him a second chance even though he messed it up. The builder that handled my build was given a second chance by me and he took the opportunity with both hands and now he is well sought after. When i was to start my project, i made several inquiries in my area as to the best builder around. Anybody i asked keep saying 'this person XYZ is the best but ............'. I weighed the 'but' and felt that i could manage that aspect of the 'but' with my elder brother managing the 'but' side. That was how the builder did a very good and beautiful job. He has now done several jobs for other people because of that build to the extent he is now rejecting kobo kobo villagers job.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ANBAKO: 11:40am On Jun 23, 2016
KolaShangOne:

Good morning Oga

The question is what do you want to buy? What i want to buy is good 0.55mm Longspan aluminium roofing sheet
Imported aluminum or Nigerian oven baked aluminium? Any good one and pocket "friendly"

There are a few trusted imported aluminum companies which includes Mac tech, Bozac (Hajj Muftau's fav), there's also Qualitec and more.. The challenge is if they have what you want (quality and clolour). why are they trusted when quality is in question? #justthinkingaloud

The only aluminum company that offers full Guage in Nigeria is Tower. I'm in their factory right now with my caliper. I've been to First, Standard and Tower (the three locally color coating companies in Nigeria). How much is tower aluminium sheet?

There's also no imported aluminum company that offers full Guage. They sell 0.35mm as 0.45mm and 0.45 as 0.55mm but that's a topic for another day..

Per standard, is the aluminium sheet thickness (0.55mm or 0.45mm) before or after painting/baking?
Thank you for your effort and support @kolashangone
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by 3strikes: 11:54am On Jun 23, 2016
FreeWorld23:
you still remain my "godfather" wink even tho I have been lashed once by your "new friend" 3strikes baba for calling u that.

Agarawu, I will keep ignoring you purposely.
But think about this for a sec...You told one charlene she can't come to property section to campaign but you were campaigning for Lanicky abi? #speakingofhypocrisy

And yes I have never had any cause to dislike Egun if not becos he was backing your fraudulent friend brabus.but now that they fell out, he becomes my friend. So here is something you need to know and I will tell you for free.
Have you heard my enemy's enemy is my friend..and my enemy's friend is my enemy?

So read between the lines and you will now understand why I purposely chose to always ignore most of your comments. I still like your personality and no love lost yet.

This might not sit well with some people but as long as nairaland is up and running. I will make sure no other clients come here to complain about being defrauded.

I have said it before...3strikes gat nothing to prove to anyone. Am fighting for humanity.

Brabus cant win this with all his game of wits and pictures......he knows his games on here are over.

Remember it is never too late to make a very good comeback.

3strikes!!!

@ Kowope, Remember I voted for your babe Lanicky at your request....so becos make you no buy us beer from the 50k you won come dey attack us now? Issokay...the finals go come o grin

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by lastpage: 12:26pm On Jun 23, 2016
abdulwastecx:

To your first question...
The condition of the enclosed space below depend on the natural water table, and surface run off during period of heavy rain. If the soil is relatively dry with a very low water table (>1.5m), the void below will be dry, otherwise, it may experience dampness and surface water.

Nothing to worry about if the damp proof course/german floor is water/air tight, so that it wouldn't become a breading ground for mosquito.

The grade beam a position at some depth below the ground to stop surface run off into the space below.

2. For your questions number 2...................

Another advantage is the possibility for a properly done iron detailed work when the floor is suspended. For this suspended floor, the iron bending work are properly done compared to those on filled foundation.

3. I am also looking deeply into better use of modern building materials. I have done a number of design using polystyrene materials for the following, in other to reduce load and cost.

With all these advantage in mind, sound Mathematical calculations have to be made to make sure all the structural component are designed properly in other to enjoy all the aforementioned advantages

Abdulwastexc, your responses are always top-notch. I am just imagining what/who you will be in a decades time! Maybe Nigeria's own version of Julius Berger? undecided undecided
I have saved your response and so dont want to re-quote it verbatim.

The "Polystrene" material you referred to above, is it a composite material or a single material one can get to buy in the open market?
What's the name, if l may ask?

Weight reduction, Cost reduction and new methods/innovation always excite me.

Thank you for your response.

Lastpage!
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by olawale100: 12:42pm On Jun 23, 2016
@MSogunro

The cost
msogunro:
Good morning house. Reply needed urgently.
I want to do a cost comparison with what I am receiving on ground.
What is the approximate cost to fence a land measuring 30 X 30 X 31 X 36 meters?
Just a rough estimate is good thank you!!!

***This is a rough calculation.

The perimeter of the piece of land is 30 + 30 + 31 + 36 = 127 meters.

Roughly, you will have 40 regular pillars and 2 big pillars for the gate.

The length of a block is 18 inches which translates to 0.45 cm

Leaving out 4 meters for the gate, you have 123 meters left.

123 / 0.45 equals 273.33 per coach. If you are going to have 10 coaches, for blocks alone, you will need 2800 (making provision for wastage)

2800 times 170 (cost of block) N476,000
Bricklayer charges about 50 naira to lay one block, therefore labour cost estimate is 140,000

You will also need between 80 and 90 bags of cement @ 1650 = N148,500
If you have to buy water, that will be about 8k for a water tanker
You will also need about 1 - 2 trips of 15 tonnes sharp sand (for the block setting alone)

More sharp sand trips will be needed if you will be casting the base and the pillars

That is just the beginning.

depending on the terrain you are building, you may need to do a raft (either I or an inverted T)

The cost implementation will vary, so more details is required.
Because this will involve iron rods, labour charge for iron bender, formwork by carpenter or formwork rental (steel shutters)
Woods, nails, binding wire

This is just a guide. More details is needed for more accurate estimate.

Regards

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by lastpage: 12:42pm On Jun 23, 2016
NLresidentQS:

I was just wondering. Don't know if it can be done. I read Abdulwasteq's reply that the floor is waterproof to prevent surface water from entering the enclosure. But I think the problem is, like you rightly pointed out, the walls supporting the suspended slab will always be soaked in water.

Also, I think the presence of the spaces will create additional loads on the slab.

After fixing the formwork that will support the slab (before fixing the soffit boards), can't the builder fill the spaces with sand/granite/laterite just to mitigate any negative effect. Maybe perforated pipes can be buried under the slab sef, channelling somewhere away from the house. Just saying.

This was my thinking also, initially.
I think one way or the other (since such foundations are usually done on low capacity bearing soils), water will find its way into that void.

I was even thinking that one can put a "valved-Pipe" such that water inside the void can only come out but the pipe cant take-in water.

if the building is sound-enough to stand on its own without the void being filled-up, that is a massive 'cost-savings' (Laterite fillings et all).

But then, l would differ to "Construction" Engineers on this one. I have never done this Suspended Raft with Piles under, before.

Thanks for your response.

Lastpage!

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FreeWorld23: 12:45pm On Jun 23, 2016
3strikes:

Agarawu, I will keep ignoring you purposely.
But think about this for a sec...You told one charlene she can't come to property section to campaign but you were campaigning for Lanicky abi? #speakingofhypocrisy

That lady never made any contribution here, she followed my post to this thread. We have dealt with this already wink "eni ti a ba sun ti ni a ma ja runpa lu" (bad yoruba i guess)

And yes I have never had any cause to dislike Egun if not becos he was backing your fraudulent friend brabus.but now that they fell out, he becomes my friend. So here is something you need to know and I will tell you for free.
Have you heard my enemy's enemy is my friend..and my enemy's friend is my enemy?

I am friends with everyone here including u so i have no personal friend here. Tho i like keeping more enemies than friends. ( its a long life secret my grandfather told me) wink

So read between the lines and you will now understand why I purposely chose to always ignore most of your comments. I still like your personality and no love lost yet.
you can't ignore me after giving me a name "kowope" which i endorsed wink

This might not sit well with some people but as long as nairaland is up and running. I will make sure no other clients come here to complain about being defrauded.

I have said it before...3strikes gat nothing to prove to anyone. Am fighting for humanity.

Brabus cant win this with all his game of wits and pictures......he knows his games on here are over.

Remember it is never too late to make a very good comeback.

3strikes!!!

@ Kowope, Remember I voted for your babe Lanicky at your request....so becos make you no buy us beer from the 50k you won come dey attack us now? Issokay...the finals go come o grin

I just wish our chairman brabus could take heed of advice and mend his weakness so that he can stArt building a good reputation. I just think everyday "calling out" wont change anything cos only our soul and BABA God can change us.

On my ccontestant Lanicky, we go share the money for here if she wins. Non alcoholic paraga will be ordered in grin

You voted her even tho your votes didnt count cos your post isnt up to 300 sad . but we still appreciate for taking your time.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mavverick: 12:59pm On Jun 23, 2016
Whenever I read about a builder like brabus/Bosun trying to build a good reputation, I cannot stop laughing. The person saying that he should be given a chance to build a good reputation, I wonder if they would give him thier building to complete. As they say, put your money where your mouth is !

He has had several opportunities to redeem himself, what did he do ? He bottled it and is now relying on prayer stones.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by lastpage: 12:59pm On Jun 23, 2016
n3xt:

Abdulwastecx had done justice to most of the question you asked.

As per the formwork, I doubt the cost will be as much as you're reusing the planks for the 2nd time.
But when you put the cost of the formwork side by side with the cost of sand filling, one will agree that it is a better alternative.

However, if the beams are decreased to 600mm as shown in the video and pics below, the planks beneath can be recovered.

As per introducing pipe on a side to act as overflow drain pipe, the idea is cool. However, I don't see how this will work on a flat surface as water level increase evenly unless it's happening on a slope.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jKLuyZ6UpA
In the attached pic below, we were able to remove/reuse 90% of the formwork used beneath the DPC and the approach proves to be more effective and efficient as water do not percolate around the building.

Good Stuff, Brabus.

So, depending on how it was formed, the Planks can be removed for re-use.
Thanks for chipping-in and supplying the video.

The Pipe thingy was in the case where the void is sealed (As opposed to accessible spaces underneath). When the water in it rises above the outside water, it can use a valved-pipe to flow out

Lastpage!

Let me wow you with discotheque [size=14pt] "COLORS" [/size], for your effort

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 1:25pm On Jun 23, 2016
lastpage:

Abdulwastexc, your responses are always top-notch. I am just imagining what/who you will be in a decades time! Maybe Nigeria's own version of Julius Berger? undecided undecided
I have saved your response and so dont want to re-quote it verbatim.

The "Polystrene" material you referred to above, is it a composite material or a single material one can get to buy in the open market?
What's the name, if l may ask?

Weight reduction, Cost reduction and new methods/innovation always excite me.

Thank you for your response.

Lastpage!

Thank you sir....
We will like to be dangote of construction industry... Building houses for all (upper, middle and lower class).... Lol.

I am grateful for your complement sir.
Polystyrene is really a game changer, if properly utilized it can safe lots of cost and reduce structural failure due to its light weight.

I was first introduced to the company (polyindustry) in abuja during my six months industrial training ( in 2011). I went to their factory and make enquiries for the prospect of using it for concrete fascia, suspended slab, non load bearing partition wall, wall Cornishing, suspended ceilings (like pop but with added advantage of resistance to dampness when faced with licking roof), window hoods etc, I was impressed when I left the factory, ever since I have been clamoring for its use.

Polystyrene materials is some how a composite polystyrene, cement surface coating and light reinforcement to stick the cement together with the poly.

I am not really aware of all their products are common at market places but one can always visit their factory or website or call their customer care to make enquiries about their products.

The last time I bought polystyrene fascia from them, I went directly to the factor, Give them my design, deposit the cash and come back after 5days to pick them up. They are very efficient in that respect.

The problem with polystyrene construction is acceptance... People are scared because of the lightness and it's look. Even among building experts the phobia for polystyrene is high.

When using polystyrene the following, question normally come up:
For polystyrene fascia:
1. Can this thing carry load?
My answer : fascia are not designed to carry roof load (gravity load). They are designed to break wind and provide aesthetics to the building.

2. Is this durable :
Durability is a function of exposure to adverse environmental conditions like water, wind and sunlight.
Water: polystyrene is impermeable materials, hence water don't affect it.
Sun light :surface coating protect the material from adverse sun intensity.
Wind: they are designed to break wind.

3. How well can it withstand fire :
Fire resistance is a big issue even for reinforced concrete due to the fact that steel looses strength considerably when exposed to fire... Reason for concrete cover to protect steel when their is a fire outbreak. Polystyrene also can resist fascia with the help of surface coate. ***more work still need to be done on that****.

4. Aesthetic:how beautiful does it look?
Very beautiful, it is produce with very high degree of accuracy because of the factory production. All design can be done, it gives architect freedom to play around.

5. It is cost effective :
No formwork (except for head beam), no excessive scaffolding (except as a platform)
No excessive concrete

I will check up their address and send it to you
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FreeWorld23: 1:26pm On Jun 23, 2016
mavverick:
Whenever I read about a builder like brabus/Bosun trying to build a good reputation, I cannot stop laughing. The person saying that he should be given a chance to build a good reputation, I wonder if they would give him thier building to complete. As they say, put your money where your mouth is !

He has had several opportunities to redeem himself, what did he do ? He bottled it and is now relying on prayer stones.
baba, anybody can change if they are determined. If i begin tell u the kind of prodigal lifestye i have lived in the past before changing for good, day go break.

I am yet to reach the level I can gv my job to a builder here, maybe.....one day If God pick my call, i might decide who to give. smiley

Brabus has a talent and he is one of those i read their lines about building here and i will NEVER support any illegal activities if that's where ppl get me wrong.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by lastpage: 1:33pm On Jun 23, 2016
babalose:
@Qc1. .... it takes courage to give someone a second chance when everything around you point to the opposite. It hurts more when the person you have given a second chance doesn't appreciate it and it comes to bite you eventually. Money is not easy to make so when one looses it, it hurts deeply. A builder should always be grateful that you called him to do a job among many, afterall you put food on his table. No one is more aggreived than the greiving. May the Lord replenish all you have lost.
Life is a continuous learning process.

Babalose

PRAYER SECONDED.
Its happened, we cant reverse the hand of the Clock.
But God that provided you with the money, is still alive and capable.
God will find a way to compensate you, going forward.

Be strong, "the fall of a man, is not the end of his life".

I remember having lost a lot of money to IPO SHARES PURCHASE sometime in 2008, like many other folks.
It was so much that "l refuse to think about it" and refuse to sell the shares for the "paper" they are worth today.
Infact, l just "laugh at myself" because it would have been better if l burned the Naira notes (at east l would use the ashes to make Soap!)

TODAY, l just see it as a lesson-learned. (I invest in property now, no more shares! grin grin )

So, take heart and be strong. YOU will bounce back!

If l can,... YOU can and YOU will.

Those who give others a second chance, will themselves be gifted a second chance. Its KARMA.

Lastpage!

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 1:37pm On Jun 23, 2016
lastpage:

This was my thinking also, initially.
I think one way or the other (since such foundations are usually done on low capacity bearing soils), water will find its way into that void.

I was even thinking that one can put a "valved-Pipe" such that water inside the void can only come out but the pipe cant take-in water.

if the building is sound-enough to stand on its own without the void being filled-up, that is a massive 'cost-savings' (Laterite fillings et all).

But then, l would differ to "Construction" Engineers on this one. I have never done this Suspended Raft with Piles under, before.

Thanks for your response.

Lastpage!

You know that low bearing capacity and water level are two different things sir....
You may have a soil with low bearing capacity and low water table, such as Sandy soil while having soil with relatively good bearing capacity and high water table such expansive cohesive soil.

That is the beauty of soil mechanics, geotechnics and foundation engineering. Soil analysis and foundation is the most complex part of civil engineering because you need more than formulas, theory, or codes to pull them off.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mavverick: 1:39pm On Jun 23, 2016
This man is on to great things in his life, I REALLY PRAY HE DOES !
I PRAY WORK WILL ALWAYS FIND YOU, AND NOT THE OTHER WAY ROUND AND YOU SHALL NOT LACK ! AMEN

The amount of stuff we learn from you, I am sure if we were all asked to drop something, nobody would hesitate to put thier hands in thier pocket, as a measure of appreciation.
As for me, I dont know about others. I am really grateful, not only to him, spyder, skimanski, sege, haji, topsy, Madam gabby and the rest of the other pros in the house, remember pros not QUACKS.

We dont see irrelevant google pictures or gloating about his own personal build and not about a building he completed for a client, just hard facts and practicality after due consideration of the situation. More grease to your elbow abdulwastecx

abdulwastecx:

Thank you sir....
We will like to be dangote of construction industry... Building houses for all (upper, middle and lower class).... Lol.

I am grateful for your complement sir.
Polystyrene is really a game changer, if properly utilized it can safe lots of cost and reduce structural failure due to its light weight.

I was first introduced to the company (polyindustry) in abuja during my six months industrial training ( in 2011). I went to their factory and make enquiries for the prospect of using it for concrete fascia, suspended slab, non load bearing partition wall, wall Cornishing, suspended ceilings (like pop but with added advantage of resistance to dampness when faced with licking roof), window hoods etc, I was impressed when I left the factory, ever since I have been clamoring for its use.

Polystyrene materials is some how a composite polystyrene, cement surface coating and light reinforcement to stick the cement together with the poly.

I am not really aware of all their products are common at market places but one can always visit their factory or website or call their customer care to make enquiries about their products.

The last time I bought polystyrene fascia from them, I went directly to the factor, Give them my design, deposit the cash and come back after 5days to pick them up. They are very efficient in that respect.

The problem with polystyrene construction is acceptance... People are scared because of the lightness and it's look. Even among building experts the phobia for polystyrene is high.

When using polystyrene the following, question normally come up:
For polystyrene fascia:
1. Can this thing carry load?
My answer : fascia are not designed to carry roof load (gravity load). They are designed to break wind and provide aesthetics to the building.

2. Is this durable :
Durability is a function of exposure to adverse environmental conditions like water, wind and sunlight.
Water: polystyrene is impermeable materials, hence water don't affect it.
Sun light :surface coating protect the material from adverse sun intensity.
Wind: they are designed to break wind.

3. How well can it withstand fire :
Fire resistance is a big issue even for reinforced concrete due to the fact that steel looses strength considerably when exposed to fire... Reason for concrete cover to protect steel when their is a fire outbreak. Polystyrene also can resist fascia with the help of surface coate. ***more work still need to be done on that****.

4. Aesthetic:how beautiful does it look?
Very beautiful, it is produce with very high degree of accuracy because of the factory production. All design can be done, it gives architect freedom to play around.

5. It is cost effective :
No formwork (except for head beam), no excessive scaffolding (except as a platform)
No excessive concrete

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 1:43pm On Jun 23, 2016
@ lastpage, I will try to send you some of our work on modern method of building construction' find time to design something like a block of two bedroom flats on a two storey building; using polystyrene rib slab, polystyrene walls for internal partitions per flat (boundaries between flat will be conventional walls), poly hood, ceiling etc....

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 1:46pm On Jun 23, 2016
mavverick:
This man is on to great things in his life, I REALLY PRAY HE DOES !
I PRAY WORK WILL ALWAYS FIND YOU, AND NOT THE OTHER WAY ROUND AND YOU SHALL NOT LACK ! AMEN

The amount of stuff we learn from you, I am sure if we were all asked to drop something, nobody would hesitate to put thier hands in thier pocket, as a measure of appreciation.
As for me, I dont know about others. I am really grateful, not only to him, spyder, skimanski, sege, haji, topsy, Madam gabby and the rest of the other pros in the house, remember pros not QUACKS.

We dont see irrelevant google pictures or gloating about his own personal build and not about a building he completed for a client, just hard facts and practicality after due consideration of the situation. More grease to your elbow abdulwastecx

Amin o my oga... Thanks for the positive complement

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by lastpage: 1:47pm On Jun 23, 2016
abdulwastecx:

Thank you sir....

And as a man desires in his heart, good desires, so shall it be.

I look forward to "one day" when l will say "That Dangotte of Building you see on the Podium receiving that Award" use to answer my posts on Nairaland, back then"! undecided

if you also get their website URL, l will like that too.
I am really falling in love with the Polystrene Fascia, as you describe it.

As for fire, maybe one can paint it with a fire-resistant paint?.... just to make it safer
(Anyway, fire wey catch fascia, don catch roof/roof woods be that!) [/b]
Polystrene wont make a difference by then. God will protect us from fire hazard as we also do our very best to remain safe.

Just for knowledge sake, what is the average price of say a 5m or 6m length of that fascia l saw your guys carry with a single hand, in your post back then when l asked you about this fascia? just give me an idea of how much you had to pay.

abdulwastecx:
@ lastpage, I will try to send you some of our work on modern method of building construction' find time to design something like a block of two bedroom flats on a two storey building; using polystyrene rib slab, polystyrene walls for internal partitions per flat (boundaries between flat will be conventional walls), poly hood, ceiling etc....

Thank you Sir. That will really be appreciated.

Lastpage!
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by esoorita: 2:22pm On Jun 23, 2016
Qc1:

You may be right. I blame myself for hiring Brabus too. However, I didn't see the altacations between brabus and his other clinet before I arrived in Nigeria. I saw it the next day I arrived. By this time, I've transfered a large sum of money from my account in Canada to Nigerian already. Moreover, I've been granted leave of absence at my job for 3 months. So I have no choice but to continue with the build. I don't have to hire brabus, I could have hire other able builders on this forum.

I gave brabrus a second chance and I will live to regret it for the rest of my life!

You don't have to feel sorry for me. I look to God of which is where my help is going to come from. I pray that I get a second chance when I mess up one day because I know I'm far from perfect although I remain humble.

I'm just surprised how the management of this forum let this continue to happen.

God in His infinite mercy will give you the strength to see your project through. Those of us in diaspora knows how difficult it is to save a few bob not to talk of thousands of Dollars, Euro or Pound sterling and it's quite disheartening to get ripped off by a conman.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by lastpage: 2:30pm On Jun 23, 2016
mavverick:
Whenever I read about a builder like brabus/Bosun trying to build a good reputation, I cannot stop laughing.
The person saying that he should be given a chance to build a good reputation, I wonder if they would give him thier building to complete. As they say, put your money where your mouth is !

I am "one" of those who believe in giving someone a second opportunity.

Infact, if not that my current build is so advanced (builder input no longer required), l would have used it to prove you guys wrong.

I am looking forward to when l will want to do another build from scratch, l will announce it here that l am using Brabus to build it.
Quote me on that, god willing.

Brabus has his issues, ...serious issues (and l have spoken repeatedly on them, even went as far as advising him "like l would do a "Blood Brother".

Three things accounted for the failure in his "PAST" Builds:

1.) His knowledge of foundations (back then) was very INADEQUATE!: He meant well but you cant give what you dont have. back then, his knowledge, compared to now was very limited!

2.) The Clients were mostly, if not all, "Diasporeans": Though this is not an excuse but his Clients have zero or very limited knowledge of Building.
They relied on Brabus' "expertise" when in actual fact, he too was just "learning as we go along" (like some other Builders here too, you can see from the way they ask or answer "technical questions".
(Abdulwastecx stands out from the crowd! he is a trained Engineer so, "No shaking"wink.
This is where Brabus "bit more than he could chew".
He could have, at the very least, INSIST on a Soil test at all times.... and just follow the recommendations of a Structural Engineer who interprets the result

3.) Supervision was lax, if not non-existent: Again, l wont blame the Client but we are all learning! There is a reason why projects have "Consulting Supervisors" that are different from the Builder. These are Professional Engineers who are paid and mandated to ensure that "they monitor and approve" what the Builder is doing on ground. You should not allow your Builder to supervise himself. I wont.
Brabus was building without "oversight" supervision. If you cant supervise your builder, please employ a qualified person to do it for you.

The reason l am very confident that l will give him (Brabus) a job in the future, is that as "a Client", [b]l will be with him EVERYDAY of the build! grin That is how l do my own builds.... l monitor like hell, while "learning" at the same time
I have acquired "appreciable knowledge and experience" over time, such that even if l dont employ a seasoned Engineer as Supervisor, there is NOTHING Brabus will or can do, that l am not knowledgeable about.

I WILL TELL HIM WHAT TO DO, I WILL ENSURE HE DOES WHAT I WANT AND I WILL DO THE NECESSARY TESTS (SOIL, CONCRETE, e.t.c) to assist both of us to make a success of it.

it is a pity that the above three factors came into play, all at the same time, in Brbaus's build for his clients back then.

TODAY, in 2016, l dont think all those three factors can/should still align together... to produce the results we are referring to/discussing.
As for his "personal values"...... What you "already know" should not be able to hurt you... if you are intelligent and smart!
[/b]

Brabus na Ijebu, me na Ijebu, so let us see who get "sense" pass now. undecided grin grin

So, when l say l will give my job to Brabus, l know exactly what l am saying and l am not saying it out of ignorance or sentiments.
Mind you, Brabus, like any other humanbeing, have their "strengths and weakness"
I know how to turn a "human weakness", into strength.

Thank you,

Lastpage!

BTW: I also believe anyone can reform, if they want to.
I also dont FLIP-FLOP on my relationship with anyone .... because it is ALWAYS based on PRINCIPLES, not personal sentiments.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FreeWorld23: 2:35pm On Jun 23, 2016
abdulwastecx:

Amin o my oga... Thanks for the positive complement
Oga, how affordable is the plan of the building below? I talked to someone about the design and they liked it. The size of the land is 120ft by 30ft

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 2:46pm On Jun 23, 2016
FreeWorld23:
Oga, how affordable is the plan of the building below? I talked to someone about the design and they liked it. The size of the land is 120ft by 30ft

It is very affordable... It was designed by my friend podosci.

It was a two bedroom bungalow design but can be changed to three bedrooms.

It will sit in comfortably with enough space at the front or back for future development.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FreeWorld23: 2:50pm On Jun 23, 2016
abdulwastecx:

It is very affordable... It was designed by my friend podosci.

It was a two bedroom bungalow design but can be changed to three bedrooms.

It will sit in comfortably with enough space at the front or back for future development.
I know you work together with podosci that's why I quoted u cos he hardly come online. So who should I contact, you or podosci?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by brag3: 2:50pm On Jun 23, 2016
Very Interesting.

I can only wait and hope to see that day.

By the Grace of God it wont be too long in the distant future when someone can say Brabus did a fantastic job for them.

We all look forward to that and hope it happens.

Also remember that KARMA works both ways. If you advocate that people who give second chances will get second chances. what do you advocate for people who constantly have issues with their clients? A simple/succint response will suffice here.

Good luck with your builds.

lastpage:

Infact, if not that my current build is so advanced (builder input no longer required), l would have used it to prove you guys wrong.

I am looking forward to when l will want to do another build from scratch, l will announce it here that l am using Brabus to build it.

Brabus has his issues, ...serious issues (and l have spoken repeatedly on them, even went as far as advising him "like l would do a "Blood Brother".

1.) His knowledge of foundations (back then) was very INADEQUATE!: He meant well but you cant give what you dont have. back then, his knowledge, compared to now was very limited!

2.) The Clients were mostly, if not all, "Diasporeans": Though this is not an excuse but his Clients have zero or very limited knowledge of Building.
They relied on Brabus' "expertise" when in actual fact, he too was just "learning as we go along" (like some other Builders here too, you can see from the way they ask or answer "technical questions".
(Abdulwastecx stands out from the crowd! he is a trained Engineer so, "No shaking"wink.
He could have, at the very least, INSIST on a Soil test at all times.... and just follow the recommendations of a Structural Engineer who interprets the result

3.) Supervision was lax, if not non-existent: Again, l wont blame the Client but we are all learning! There is a reason why projects have "Consulting Supervisors" that are different from the Builder. These are Professional Engineers who are paid and mandated to ensure that "they monitor and approve" what the Builder is doing on ground. You should not allow your Builder to supervise himself. I wont.
Brabus was building without "oversight" supervision. If you cant supervise your builder, please employ a qualified person to do it for you.

The reason l am very confident that l will give him (Brabus) a job in the future, is that as "a Client", [b]l will be with him EVERYDAY of the build! grin That is how l do my own builds.... l monitor like hell, while "learning" at the same time
I have acquired "appreciable knowledge and experience" over time, such that even if l dont employ a seasoned Engineer as Supervisor, there is NOTHING Brabus will or can do, that l am not knowledgeable about.

I WILL TELL HIM WHAT TO DO, I WILL ENSURE HE DOES WHAT I WANT AND I WILL DO THE NECESSARY TESTS (SOIL, CONCRETE, e.t.c) to assist both of us to make a success of it.

it is a pity that the above three factors came into play, all at the same time, in Brbaus's build for his clients back then.

TODAY, in 2016, l dont think all those three factors can/should still align together... to produce the results we are referring to/discussing.
As for his "personal values"...... What you "already know" should not be able to hurt you... if you are intelligent and smart!
[/b]

Brabus na Ijebu, me na Ijebu, so let us see who get "sense" pass now. undecided grin grin

So, when l say l will give my job to Brabus, l know exactly what l am saying and l am not saying it out of ignorance or sentiments.
Mind you, Brabus, like any other humanbeing, have their "strengths and weakness"

Thank you,

Lastpage!

I also dont FLIP-FLOP on my relationship with anyone .... because it is ALWAYS based on PRINCIPLES, not personal sentiments.

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 2:57pm On Jun 23, 2016
FreeWorld23:
I know you work together with podosci that's why I quoted u cos he hardly come online. So who should I contact, you or podosci?

He was busy some weeks ago with one of our remote village job but he is back now, you can contact any of us.
The one that will be easier for you sir....

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 3:11pm On Jun 23, 2016
lastpage:

[/b]

Thank you,

Lastpage!

I don't like to get involved in issues like this but Mr lastpage just summed up everything.

Building construction is a complex discipline, we keep learning everyday to improve ourself and do much better.

Some of Mr brabus' mistakes can happened to any builder here because we hardly carry out any soil test to ascertain soil engineering properties and when this soil is carried out, proper attention may not be paid to the laboratory test to determine all the parameters used for the analysis and design.

I worked for a consultancy film (briefly), they just copied and paste design without any analysis. Partly, this may be due to how low some clients are willing to pay(imagine some one paying 50 or 40k) for serious structural design of a duplex on a very poor soil.
In most cases after the soil test might have been done properly , the analysis and design may not be done properly... So you run into many problem.

I have turned down lots of job because either the design were poorly done and the owner is not willing to changed it or half way job with poorly don foundation. For example, I visited a site in warri to investigate a house that belongs to a "Nairalander '', I was shocked when I saw poorly the foundation and the first floor was,
the man wanted us to do the slab and upper floor but I turned it down. I then advice him to either convert the house to a Bungalow or demolish it because I know the house is a disaster waiting to happen.

Oga brabus has learnt one two lessons from those work as I have learned a lot from them. I have visited all those thread and look at things myself.... Learning is a continuous thing and we stop learning when we die

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ANBAKO: 3:14pm On Jun 23, 2016
KolaShangOne:

Good morning Oga

The question is what do you want to buy?
Imported aluminum or Nigerian oven baked aluminium?

There are a few trusted imported aluminum companies which includes Mac tech, Bozac (Hajj Muftau's fav), there's also Qualitec and more.. The challenge is if they have what you want (quality and clolour).

The only aluminum company that offers full Guage in Nigeria is Tower. I'm in their factory right now with my caliper. I've been to First, Standard and Tower (the three locally color coating companies in Nigeria).

There's also no imported aluminum company that offers full Guage. They sell 0.35mm as 0.45mm and 0.45 as 0.55mm but that's a topic for another day..

@vicol @kolashangone @mufutau55 So I got the shocker of my life today. My Brother brought to my site today, a "trusted" supplier of aluminium roofing sheet with "samples of 0.55mm and 0.45mm". As part of my QA/QC or due diligence, I brought out caliper to measure. Guess what!!! 0.25mm and 0.35mm respectively!!! I was shocked!!! Please note that caliper is well calibrated.

Anyways, I continue my search for a "good" sheet!!!

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ottersberger(m): 3:21pm On Jun 23, 2016
FreeWorld23:

That lady never made any contribution here, she followed my post to this thread. We have dealt with this already wink "eni ti a ba sun ti ni a ma ja runpa lu" (bad yoruba i guess)

I am friends with everyone here including u so i have no personal friend here. Tho i like keeping more enemies than friends. ( its a long life secret my grandfather told me) wink

you can't ignore me after giving me a name "kowope" which i endorsed wink

I just wish our chairman brabus could take heed of advice and mend his weakness so that he can stArt building a good reputation. I just think everyday "calling out" wont change anything cos only our soul and BABA God can change us.

On my ccontestant Babe Lanicky, we go share the money for here if she wins. Non alcoholic paraga will be ordered in grin

You voted her even tho your votes didnt count cos your post isnt up to 300 sad . but we still appreciate for taking your time.

Chai!, see lawyering o. Diaris God grin grin.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 3:22pm On Jun 23, 2016
brag3:
Very Interesting.

I can only wait and hope to see that day.

By the Grace of God it wont be too long in the distant future when someone can say Brabus did a fantastic job for them.

We all look forward to that and hope it happens.

Also remember that KARMA works both ways. If you advocate that people who give second chances will get second chances. what do you advocate for people who constantly have issues with their clients? A simple/succint response will suffice here.

Good luck with your builds.

This.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by OnetimeOnly: 3:33pm On Jun 23, 2016
abdulwastecx:

I don't like to get involved in issues like this but Mr lastpage just summed up everything.

Building construction is a complex discipline, we keep learning everyday to improve ourself and do much better.

Some of Mr brabus' mistakes can happened to any builder here because we hardly carry out any soil test to ascertain soil engineering properties and when this soil is carried out, proper attention may not be paid to the laboratory test to determine all the parameters used for the analysis and design.

I worked for a consultancy film (briefly), they just copied and paste design without any analysis. Partly, this may be due to how low some clients are willing to pay(imagine some one paying 50 or 40k) for serious structural design of a duplex on a very poor soil.
In most cases after the soil test might have been done properly , the analysis and design may not be done properly... So you run into many problem.

I have turned down lots of job because either the design were poorly done and the owner is not willing to changed it or half way job with poorly don foundation. For example, I visited a site in warri to investigate a house that belongs to a "Nairalander '', I was shocked when I saw poorly the foundation and the first floor was,
the man wanted us to do the slab and upper floor but I turned it down. I then advice him to either convert the house to a Bungalow or demolish it because I know the house is a disaster waiting to happen.

Oga brabus has learnt one two lessons from those work as I have learned a lot from them. I have visited all those thread and look at things myself.... Learning is a continuous thing and we stop learning when we die

Learning is constant, but you must understand the principles! Either by education or apprenticeship.

This is one of the problems building professionals in Nigeria are facing today. Inability to call out the quacks in their midst! I presume you are a building professional, brabus is not! He pretends to be....pasting pictures from the internet. And abusing his clients when his mistakes make projects go south.
Unless you are willing to call out the fakes in our midst, people will lowball our services and clients suffer. The passive attitude of the professionals on this forum is not good.

As for prospective clients, be aware that Brabus can be using your building project as learning experience for fundamentals of building! If you are fine with that, go ahead. Aside from....well you can read his threads#

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by podosci(m): 3:37pm On Jun 23, 2016
FreeWorld23:
I was away for some time but i am back online. You can contact either myself or Abdulwastecx.
Thank you
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by 3strikes: 3:38pm On Jun 23, 2016
OnetimeOnly:

Learning is constant, but you must understand the principles! Either by education or apprenticeship.

This is one of the problems building professionals in Nigeria are facing today. Inability to call out the quacks in their midst! I presume you are a building professional, brabus is not! He pretends to be....pasting pictures from the internet. And abusing his clients when his mistakes make projects go south.
Unless you are willing to call out the fakes in our midst, people will lowball our services and clients suffer. The passive attitude of the professionals on this forum is not good.

As for prospective clients, be aware that Brabus can be using your building project as learning experience for fundamentals of building! If you are fine with that, go ahead. Aside from....well you can read his threads#

#Epic!

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (356) (357) (358) (359) (360) (361) (362) ... (3674) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 191
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.