Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,119 members, 7,828,987 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 05:04 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (387) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4428100 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (384) (385) (386) (387) (388) (389) (390) ... (3674) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 7:18am On Jul 10, 2016
lastpage:

Spot-on ....at the bolded!

As it is nowadays, our Youths (especially our Yoruba Youths!) dont want to learn any form of handiwork!
Most want 'easy money', are too arrogant and impatient ......not generally interested in 'tutoring' under any "Master".

Gone are the days when a young apprenticeship graduate can point to his "Master" under who he/she trained for some years, celebrated "freedom" and maintain that cordial relationship with the former boss.

Now, you hardly find that "neighbourhood", TRAINED Electrician, Plumber, Carpenter, Craft-Men, e.t.c..... especially those ones that decided that University/Higher Education is not for them.
Most of them are either Okada/Maruwa Drivers, "Junction/Orita"-Touts, Omo-Onile, Bus-Stop Scavengers or outright nefarious characters like Armed Robbers,Kidnappers or Yahoo++!

I fear for the "future".

Lastpage!

Nice observation sir.... That is where technical based education is needed. We need to review our educational system to make it work to our need. I ones learn carpentry and wood work from my father, it took me less than a year after my secondary school, it would make better sense if we include these technical trainings into our education sector.

Building construction have shortage of artisan because we don't have good training Institute, if we make it compulsory to learn a skill base job like carpentry, masonry, iron bending, fabrication etc before finishing secondary school, the army of unemployment can be reduced greatly.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 7:31am On Jul 10, 2016
EgunMogaji:

I agree with you.

I've always thought apprenticeship is a forgotten option in Nigeria, maybe it's the state of the economy.

While I especially try to give first dibs to guys that are starting out, they have to have tutored under seasoned leaders and earned their stripes, so to speak.

I just think that like those folks do, that one should open a thread, advertise on there and show your accomplishments.

The problem with Apprenticeship when it relates to high skill based profession like civil engineering, building technology, architecture etc is the risk of learning from the wrong people. We have this problem in Nigeria where we don't follow the right procedures building codes, etc....

I have meant so many experienced builder/engineers that don't know the difference between primary and secondary beam, that can't differentiate between foliage beams and rectangular beams that don't know the difference between all the different type of foundation etc.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by lastpage: 12:01pm On Jul 10, 2016
abdulwastecx:

Nice observation sir.... That is where technical based education is needed. We need to review our educational system to make it work to our need. I ones learn carpentry and wood work from my father, it took me less than a year after my secondary school, it would make better sense if we include these technical trainings into our education sector.

Building construction have shortage of artisan because we don't have good training Institute, if we make it compulsory to learn a skill base job like carpentry, masonry, iron bending, fabrication etc before finishing secondary school, the army of unemployment can be reduced greatly.

Very true Sir!

I know we used to have "Technical Schools" in those days, which are post-primary school level but l am not sure they are still functioning as of today.

There is one just beyond Yaba College of Tech sandwiched between the officers Mess and l do see a lot of young people go there when l used to frequent that place for relaxation.

The 6-3-3-4 system of education, if properly implemented, was designed to cater to what you alluded to.
Those who finish JSS-3 and dont want to proceed further to SS1, were supposed to go into such "Technical School" were they would learn various Craft like Carpentry, Electrician, Plumbing, e,t,c

Only good leadership will make us go back to the right path in this country.

Thank you.

Lastpage!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by temi4fash(m): 1:15pm On Jul 10, 2016
Dieumerci:

Yeah! When they finished with the screeding and cornice, you could hardly tell the difference between it and full POP.
I don't have a picture now.
Though the ones they use is different from the ones in the pictures you posted.

Oh thanks boss.

Which one do they use for it?

And would these work well.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Miscellaneous(m): 1:51pm On Jul 10, 2016
lastpage:

Very true Sir!

I know we used to have "Technical Schools" in those days, which are post-primary school level but l am not sure they are still functioning as of today.

There is one just beyond Yaba College of Tech sandwiched between the officers Mess and l do see a lot of young people go there when l used to frequent that place for relaxation.

The 6-3-3-4 system of education, if properly implemented, was designed to cater to what you alluded to.
Those who finish JSS-3 and dont want to proceed further to SS1, were supposed to go into such "Technical School" were they would learn various Craft like Carpentry, Electrician, Plumbing, e,t,c

Thank you.

Lastpage!

there are different tell-tale stories, if you ask me. The problem with the school system in Nigeria is one that in itself tends to create more problems immediately solutions are proffered to existing problems. Believe me, I have spent ample amount of time trying to see reasons why things would not work the way everyone thinks it will. You see, the problem is not about the technical school not there.... I believe there need to be a serious sensitization of the children i.e reorientation. How many teenagers of today are ready to be a carpenter, plumber, electrician etc? These are some of the reasons the system failed or it is failing today. Whether you accept it or not, those jobs are now meant for adults who couldn't get more befitting jobs in Nigeria. Oh, you don't expect a child who believes in nairabet & other quick money schemes to nail a piece of wood for you. The problem is with the ideology.... sometimes I really hope we will go up the development ladder to meet nations like u.s.a, France etc but, deep down, I know we will only get worse & worser. The change is far ….... very far, my friend
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Miscellaneous(m): 1:56pm On Jul 10, 2016
Anytime I am dragged to this thread I always want to ask questions that has been bothering me. Now to the design engineers here:

1. Where does rectangular beams occur in a building structure?
2. Is it not possible to design an L or T-beam as a rectangular? & make provisions to cater for any shortcomings?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by allCopacetic: 2:27pm On Jul 10, 2016
lastpage:

Just imagine if we all decided that we would give our jobs to "established Contractors" who have made a name and have a lot for previous jobs to show for it..... how would Spyder, Aventures, Abdulwastecx, Segcy, Skimanski and others have gotten their break/first job?..... since they are not first-generation builders?

In essence, l am of the opinion that it is always a good thing to "give opportunity" to first-timers who have shown a "decent level' of knowledge, commitment, honesty and zeal, so that they can also grow. The only thing is that such "un-established" Rookies need serious monitoring (so you can detect if they are mere "hustlers" and send them packing ASAP).

Let us remember that the CEO of the biggest fortune-500 companies were once "rookies", some like the owner of Apple even got fired from the company they eventually came to own! shocked shocked

I am increasingly fond of your input and perspective on a number of discussions here

Marketing, advertising, soliciting, lobbying, canvassing... for patronage is a necessity for any startup ; even for an established business in a new market. The important thing is the right tact, strategy and approach.No serious business man has had enough or is too rich for more income.

Like you already pointed out, all the mentioned had thier rookie/teeth cutting days.... before the big break and big name.

When i started following the property section, i took time to study interactions here, and i couldnt help but notice pockets of demeaning responses to some business solicitations. It made me a little hesitant in bringing my business on this platform, of cos there was the pride of not wanting to be talked down to or ignored just because you're soliciting for patronage. But I put that aside and went ahead anyway. I am happy to say i do not regret that decision.

I recall my very first Nairaland customer... a very nice gentleman in Jos. Very straight forward, very simple. He contacted me a few days after i opened my first thread, few whatsapp messages later we conducted the first transaction which was followed by subsequent requests...even for things that are "not exactly my line" so to speak.Never spoken to him on the phone, No physical interaction, just a proxy I deliver his purchases to for onward transfer. I dont even know his moniker till date and didnt ask out of respect for his privacy.
This happened at a time i had Zero Nairaland reputation, Zero Nairaland history, No Nairaland portfolio. I hope you get to read this Mr Peter.

Its always nice to give people a chance to prove their worth, of course not without the necessary precautions and due diligence. And if you decline, do so politely @msogunro did good.

8 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by allCopacetic: 2:38pm On Jul 10, 2016
EgunMogaji:
Mr. Tevanso, your sales tactics are a bit aggressive Sir.

There are few notable builders on here that their work speaks for them and they never solicit.

Consider this a constructive criticism.

LOL oga Eguns... busting chops since 1920,

Seriously tho, @ Bolded even Apple dey find customer, talkless... No serious business man can allow himself become self satisfied.

But you're right, Tevanso did come on a little strongly.

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 3:56pm On Jul 10, 2016
allCopacetic:

LOL oga Eguns... busting chops since 1920,

Seriously tho, @ Bolded even Apple dey find customer, talkless... No serious business man can allow himself become self satisfied.

But you're right, Tevanso did come on a little strongly.

Just to be clear, because I think it's getting muddled.

It is not my intent to suggest that folks shouldn't advertise for business. There's a place and time for tactful advertisement.

Guess what? What is the ultimate reason why accomplished builders showcase their builds? It's not to gloat, it's advertisement.

They understand proper advertisement that is done with tact and isn't off-putting.

Advertising is such an important business element that it's a degreed scholastic achievement.

So to those that get it, thanks it's refreshing to see your professionalism. To the up and commers, surreptitiously tutor under the experts on here.

I only wish that Seun would avail an ignoreuser filter to me.

Thank you, Sir.

3Strikes, I've managed to moved us away from page 382 with my latest debacle grin

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 4:46pm On Jul 10, 2016
I have been silently writing names down, we will see result sooon.Well this thread is slow these days,where is Mr AZUH
Mainwhile Im sitting next to Prince William, at Wimbledon watching the finals make una look well una go see moi waving grin grin grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 5:09pm On Jul 10, 2016
erico2k2:
I have been silently writing names down, we will see result sooon.Well this thread is slow these days,where is Mr AZUH
Mainwhile Im sitting next to Prince William, at Wimbledon watching the finals make una look well una go see moi waving grin grin grin

Is this how the mighty have fallen?

I figured you more for a rugby match watcher or maybe even boxing.

Next thing you'll be at women's croquet or worse cricket match grin

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 6:08pm On Jul 10, 2016
EgunMogaji:

Is this how the mighty have fallen?

I figured you more for a rugby match watcher or maybe even boxing.

Next thing you'll be at women's croquet or worse cricket match grin
Baba the sun is very hot, my I nor like graaar graar game, ah na fight grin grin, U give me the ball I pass it back to you simple shocked shocked shocked shocked grin grin grin grin grin
PS, I heard Portugal is playing Africa today at Euro 2016 finals grin grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by crisisng: 6:44pm On Jul 10, 2016
ok
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by brag3: 7:05pm On Jul 10, 2016
I used Step tiles 0.55mm gauge Sumo Aluminium purchased from Standard Aluminium.

So far so good but it was only done last year.

sako28:
Dear all,

Have any one use Sumo Aluminum product before? What the experience like and what gauge will u recommend.

Thank you

Sako
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EndiaSami: 9:10pm On Jul 10, 2016
allCopacetic:

I am increasingly fond of your input and perspective on a number of discussions here

Marketing, advertising, soliciting, lobbying, canvassing... for patronage is a necessity for any startup ; even for an established business in a new market. The important thing is the right tact, strategy and approach.No serious business man has had enough or is too rich for more income.

Like you already pointed out, all the mentioned had thier rookie/teeth cutting days.... before the big break and big name.

When i started following the property section, i took time to study interactions here, and i couldnt help but notice pockets of demeaning responses to some business solicitations. It made me a little hesitant in bringing my business on this platform, of cos there was the pride of not wanting to be talked down to or ignored just because you're soliciting for patronage. But I put that aside and went ahead anyway. I am happy to say i do not regret that decision.

I recall my very first Nairaland customer... a very nice gentleman in Jos. Very straight forward, very simple. He contacted me a few days after i opened my first thread, few whatsapp messages later we conducted the first transaction which was followed by subsequent requests...even for things that are "not exactly my line" so to speak.Never spoken to him on the phone, No physical interaction, just a proxy I deliver his purchases to for onward transfer. I dont even know his moniker till date and didnt ask out of respect for his privacy.
This happened at a time i had Zero Nairaland reputation, Zero Nairaland history, No Nairaland portfolio. I hope you get to read this Mr Peter.

Its always nice to give people a chance to prove their worth, of course not without the necessary precautions and due diligence. And if you decline, do so politely @msogunro did good.

Same way baba segcymore gave endiasami his first nairaland job.

Forever grateful, baba
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EndiaSami: 9:21pm On Jul 10, 2016
danowena:
Any idea on this sanitary ware product: ARMITAGE SHANKS? I observed that some sanitary wares that were very white at purchase/installation become brownish or off-white with time and this is very annoying.
Segcymoor,aventure,mufutau55,maverrick,abdulwastex,endiasami, every other person.

Armitage shanks is an okay product, it's English. More of sister to twyford england.
Things I know that makes wc loses color are. The quality of the wc and it's cleaning agents, and water. Some water in some areas are harsh which can change most wc color in time, also some cleaning materials are harsh in cleaning wc.
And lastly some wc are of poor quality.

Thanks......let me go back to the match. Portugal - france smiley

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by smiley001(m): 9:53pm On Jul 10, 2016
allCopacetic:

Thanks for this write up and also to Oga @lastpage sir.
As for us at Smiley001, our first work on here came from Canada and we still relate well.
We came on here around August 2014 and I could remember that I studied it very well and immediately Emailed Checkitaut that August 2014 about giving him our 2 mack dump trucks because we saw he was doing good and we weren't ready for competition(we still have the email). Maybe he wasn't interested after he saw d pictures sha but now d rest is history. Checkitaut and I are good friends now.

Why did we come to nairaland? I have known nairaland since 2008 during my NYSC days when I was looking for jobs with one moniker like that but didn't know I could sell something like Granite and other stuffs...

We wouldn't even have signed up in 2014 but for the recession that hit the state of osun because that was our HQ and up till now The state is still owing us.

I must say that locally (ogun osun kwara ondo oyo ekiti) we were doing fine and we are still doing fine but we needed to penetrate lagos market because the largest percentage of quarry products goes to lagos...This is why we are here and we bless God for all he's done and doing.

We bought our first truck in 2010, a UK DAF 85 330ati directly from the UK. We still have the receipt and custom papers. We bought mack from the US in 2013 and 2014 even before we joined nairaland. We still have all the papers and if the need arises we would upload here.

Like I said, we are doing good locally but there's nothing bad in expansion and having a large customer base if you can service them all.

We at Smiley Haulage Logistics and Supply Services will keep soliciting, begging, advocating and advertising for jobs on nairaland.

We bless God for creating this world;
God bless Seun OSEWA for Nairaland;
God bless Lawyer for moderating property section;
And lastly, God bless Hajji M for this beautiful thread.

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 1:03am On Jul 11, 2016
https://www.nairaland.com/3218463/no-gun-pierce-body-cult

"... The cult suspect, Andrew Awalebi, 35, who belonged to Eiye Confraternity, was arrested on Friday morning at a beer parlour in company of three other cult members around 8:00 a.m.

Two other members of the cult group, Adegoke Adeleke (30), Kehinde Adebogun (31), were also picked up early Saturday morning at an hotel in Ikorodu.

Awalebi, from Ilaje Local Government, Ondo State was given out by Michael Thompson of the same Eiye Confraternity as a cult leader. Thompson was arrested a night before for robbery in National Stadium Surulere, Lagos.

Awalebi, who disclosed that he worked with a popular land owner in Lekki stated that he earns N40, 000:00 monthly from the property dealer for helping to protect his landed property in the axis.

He told investigator that the gun – shot protective charm was specially prepared for him by an herbalist in Ijebu – Isiwo, Ogun State to save him from gunshots of land grabbers in Lekki.

He added “I was initiated into Eiye Confraternity in 1996 by Banji Omisore and later in 1997 I was promoted as its topmost leader after the death of Omisore.

“We are eight member cult group. We meet very early in the morning or late at night. I have been arrested by Special Anti – Robbery Squad sometimes ago when my cult group caused mayhem in Jakande Estate, inflicting injuries on passers-by in the area,”he disclosed...."

I'm sure that some land owners over there will be happy to hear this news grin

And who said you can't teach an old Dog new tricks - EgunMogaji, graduate of Lastpages school of colorlology grin

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by lastpage: 1:14am On Jul 11, 2016
allCopacetic:

I recall my very first Nairaland customer... I dont even know his moniker till date and didnt ask out of respect for his privacy.

Thanks for your sentiments.

Somehow-somehow, "l think" l have a knack for smelling "inherently good people" from a distance (l said "inherently".... because at times, they may not even be in my 'good books' at that moment). You are one of those people that l decided, will be a good and reliable supplier/contractor

The funniest part of your comment is that you dont even know l have bought electrical lightings from you in the past.... and will be doing so too, again, this year once my current build gets to that level. grin grin

I want to confirm that statement of yours about "respecting customer's privacy".

Its always my own personal policy, to give others a "level playing field", especially up-starters.
(Some will flunk it..... while others like you and me will take it with both hands and make a success of it.)

Maybe it has to do with my own "life experiences" as my first opportunity/break in life came because someone was not insisting on "track record or some powerful recommendation" otherwise l wont be whom l am today.

For that reason, l am sworn to do unto others, as have been done to me: "Open Arms" with an "Open mind" to everyone, at first instance.

I will be asking for "Updated price List" very soon...... when we have forgotten about this discussion. undecided undecided

Cheers,

Lastpage!
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by lastpage: 1:30am On Jul 11, 2016
EgunMogaji:
https://www.nairaland.com/3218463/no-gun-pierce-body-cult

"... The cult suspect, Andrew Awalebi, 35, who belonged to Eiye Confraternity, was arrested on Friday morning at a beer parlour in company of three other cult members around 8:00 a.m.

Two other members of the cult group, Adegoke Adeleke (30), Kehinde Adebogun (31), were also picked up early Saturday morning at an hotel in Ikorodu.

Awalebi, from Ilaje Local Government, Ondo State was given out by Michael Thompson of the same Eiye Confraternity as a cult leader. Thompson was arrested a night before for robbery in National Stadium Surulere, Lagos.

Awalebi, who disclosed that he worked with a popular land owner in Lekki stated that he earns N40, 000:00 monthly from the property dealer for helping to protect his landed property in the axis.

He told investigator that the gun – shot protective charm was specially prepared for him by an herbalist in Ijebu – Isiwo, Ogun State to save him from gunshots of land grabbers in Lekki.

He added “I was initiated into Eiye Confraternity in 1996 by Banji Omisore and later in 1997 I was promoted as its topmost leader after the death of Omisore.

“We are eight member cult group. We meet very early in the morning or late at night. I have been arrested by Special Anti – Robbery Squad sometimes ago when my cult group caused mayhem in Jakande Estate, inflicting injuries on passers-by in the area,”he disclosed...."

I'm sure that some land owners over there will be happy to hear this news grin

And who said you can't teach an old Dog new tricks - EgunMogaji, graduate of Lastpages school of colorlology grin

This is "good news"!
Each time l hear that one of these never-do-wells have bitten the bullet, l am like "One man down", ...NEXT!

Hehehe! grin grin
I always suspect that l am not the only "[size=14pt]COLOURFUL CHARACTER[/size]" around here! undecided undecided

"Egun-Ijebu" like the "Jiigboo", ........always walk in pairs!
grin grin

Lastpage!

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by agarawu23(m): 4:01am On Jul 11, 2016
tevanso:
one thing people fail to understand is that it's not every one that got contract is a guru or because someone is soliciting for contract doesn't make him a quack either ,what will be will be, either a nairalander gives u a contract or not doesn't stops u from being who u are, or who u wanna be,all i believe is time ,when ur time comes u don't even need an advertisement .life goes on

When property threads hits front page, you will be wondering where the ppl giving solid and reasonable suggestions/idea come from. Not everybody that doesnt display their jobs here are quacks or fraudsters. ppl might just decide to gv their jobs to familiar ppl here and that doesn't make them the BEST on this FORUM.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by agarawu23(m): 4:14am On Jul 11, 2016
I will rada remain silent than argue with "Agbaya's" who can't drop a line without being insultive.

Agarawu doesn't asslick and "eat" his words. I ain't scared of anyone neither just that I have to respect matured people here if not, We would have turned here to a battle field where mods will start sharing ban and deleting post and perhaps lock the thread.

I know how this place work, So Iet me just sit back and watch.

5 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 5:00am On Jul 11, 2016
Aito odo we, lomu ki omode so wipe ki konkon diju.

I'll be here to train any omode ise tio ba gbe ko wa lati ile grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8OWNspU_yE

"You're no daisy, at all. You're too high strung"

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 6:53am On Jul 11, 2016
Miscellaneous:
Anytime I am dragged to this thread I always want to ask questions that has been bothering me. Now to the design engineers here:

1. Where does rectangular beams occur in a building structure?
2. Is it not possible to design an L or T-beam as a rectangular? & make provisions to cater for any shortcomings?

That is a wonderful question my friend.
Before we can know where rectangular beam occur in a structure, we need to know what is a rectangular beam?

A rectangular beam is a beam with either a square section or rectangular section, where the slab doesn't act as part of the beam in a slab-beam monolithic construction. This normally happen to beam in hogging (negative moments), most especially along the support of a continuous beam or encasted beam.

Rectangular beam occur to a section of a support reactions of continuous beam.

L and T beam are flanged beam that occur at the mid span of monolithic slab-beam construction, where some portion of the slab act together with the beam undergoing sagging.
L beam occurs at edge beam with only one slab while T beam occurs on a beam carrying two opposite slab.

Normal rule of thumb is to design the beam at the support as rectangular and at the span as a flanged beam

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mavverick: 8:59am On Jul 11, 2016
Oga lastpage

Please let us try not to generalise i.e the Yoruba mentioned below. I think its dangerous, whilst you have a good point in that the guys of today want to get rich quick without learning the ropes. It cannot be attributed to one particular tribe/religion/race etc.

Let me give you some of my own experience.

Electrician: Yoruba - Gives me headache atimes, but knows his stuff. Usually comes back for more money despite agreement which is written in black and white.

First contractor - Yoruba and I dont need to give brabus any introduction, despite the fact that he is a prominent church member, he still does Fetish things, and even planted a fetish stone at 3strikes site, I dont know what he would have planted on my site, but I dont believe in juju. I think it would NOT be fair for me to generalise all christains that they also have skeletons in thier cupboard. That would be wrong and unfair.

Carpenter: Yoruba youth - One of the best I ever had, even Bosun gave him thumbs up for the work he did on my site, so did Sege.

Bricklayer: Cotonou - No wahala

Iron Bender; Togo - No wahala, cool as ice.

Pop - Togo - Cool as ice.

Tiler - Cotonou - Knows his stuff, absolute pain in the arse to deal with atimes.

Would I generalise, absolutely NOT. We just need prayers and do some due diligence on the artisans we engage.

lastpage:

Spot-on ....at the bolded!

As it is nowadays, our Youths (especially our Yoruba Youths!) dont want to learn any form of handiwork!
Most want 'easy money', are too arrogant and impatient ......not generally interested in 'tutoring' under any "Master".

Gone are the days when a young apprenticeship graduate can point to his "Master" under who he/she trained for some years, celebrated "freedom" and maintain that cordial relationship with the former boss.

Now, you hardly find that "neighbourhood", TRAINED Electrician, Plumber, Carpenter, Craft-Men, e.t.c..... especially those ones that decided that University/Higher Education is not for them.
Most of them are either Okada/Maruwa Drivers, "Junction/Orita"-Touts, Omo-Onile, Bus-Stop Scavengers or outright nefarious characters like Armed Robbers,Kidnappers or Yahoo++!

I fear for the "future".

Lastpage!

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by danowena: 9:04am On Jul 11, 2016
EndiaSami:

Armitage shanks is an okay product, it's English. More of sister to twyford england.
Things I know that makes wc loses color are. The quality of the wc and it's cleaning agents, and water. Some water in some areas are harsh which can change most wc color in time, also some cleaning materials are harsh in cleaning wc.
And lastly some wc are of poor quality.

Thanks......let me go back to the match. Portugal - france smiley

Thanks...I appreciate. I may stick to the popular sweet home products.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mavverick: 9:12am On Jul 11, 2016
Do you think the Government can fund some apprenticeship places ?
What happens in the UK and some developed countries is that the Govt pays an employer or makes a contribution to their wages. Either that or we have more Yabatech's and new ones for God sake.

How many new technical colleges have been built in Nigeria in the last 20 years ?

And some of our youths are angry that Cotonou/Togo boys are taking thier jobs ?
In some of the areas of Lagos where the construction trade is booming a lot (Lekki, Ikorodu, Lagos Ibadan axis), I would have thought they should set up some kind of technical college there. (Building technology, plumbing, welding and metal works, Masonry works)

lastpage:

Very true Sir!

Thank you.

Lastpage!

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by 3strikes: 11:05am On Jul 11, 2016
So na true say wen you strike the shepherd the sheep go scatter?

Bosun's foot soldiers on Nairaland how market na?

Una no fit cause division, diversion or distractions again o.

I didnt know you guys can be this quiet. grin grin

Checkmate guys.
#fraudbursters

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 11:20am On Jul 11, 2016
3strikes:

Una no fit cause division, diversion or distraction again o.

Checkmate guys.

lol @ foot soldiers

Pasan ti afi no Oga won yi wa lori orule cheesy

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by 3strikes: 11:28am On Jul 11, 2016
EgunMogaji:

lol @ foot soldiers

Pasan ti afi no Oga won yi wa lori orule cheesy

Depending on my mood today...I go start to dey mention their names one by one too. And we can push this thread to page 400 by weekend. grin grin grin

Make everybody hang and sit tight....enjoy the rollercoaster.

No more stipends from Bosun again. Una check don stop... Bosun's check sef don turn to rubber check bouncing all over the place now..thats the word on the street.

Fraudburstersonsteroid

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by olawale100: 11:30am On Jul 11, 2016
olumide4christ:

[b]The building code doesn't require you to install a lift for a 2-storey building. You are mandated by the building regulations to install a lift in any building that is 4 floors and above (Ground floor + 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th).

However, you are free to install a lift in your 2-storey building, no one will query you for that. I was a consultant on a project - Redeemed Christian Church of God , Good Shepherd Pasture Parish, (picture attached), situated at Alagomeji bus stop, Yaba, Lagos. Its just a 3-storey building, yet a lift was incorporated in the building. The lift cost about N15 million, though that was like early last year, before dollar increase!!

There are different suppliers of lifts in Lagos - CFAO Plc are about the most popular supplying OTIS brand of lifts. You can check google.com for their contact details. There is also Kresta Laurel Ltd - their office is at Kresta Laurel House, 371 Ikorodu Rd, Maryland, Lagos.
There is also COXDYN NIGERIA LTD, suppliers of Isuzu brand of lifts. They actually contacted me sometime ago via phone and email with a bid to market their products. They even sent the soft copy of their profile. If you need it, you can drop your email address.

Hope this helps.[/b]

Thank you so much Olumide4Christ for the detailed information and for your time / patience.

I will like to have the further information. my email address is olawale100@yahoo.com

Thanks
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mavverick: 11:36am On Jul 11, 2016
LOL. They have indeed gone into hiding. At least plenty correct engineer dey that person fit ask questions, so i dont think there is a need to support him if i need a pangolo light or burglary stuff made of openable diamond or wool.
Some have gone to mental homes, there was one that I asked if he as Ok upstairs the other day. Whats the guys moniker again self, cant remember AZI or something like that..

Mind, Bosun/Brabus is still coming back, whether you like it or not. It could be that he has been busy building 4th mainland bridge, remember how he was telling us where the bridge footings will be, and where they might demolish.Have you forgotten, see https://www.nairaland.com/3129752/4th-mainland-bridge-houses-demolished

3strikes:

Una no fit cause division, diversion or distractions again o.

Checkmate guys.
#fraudbursters

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (384) (385) (386) (387) (388) (389) (390) ... (3674) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: djwealth and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 122
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.