Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,179 members, 7,829,230 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 10:10 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (384) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4428637 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (381) (382) (383) (384) (385) (386) (387) ... (3674) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by 3strikes: 9:35pm On Jul 07, 2016
alstacs:
Good day gurus in the house and friends in diaspora. Please I'm monitoring a project for a friend who lives abroad. They just concluded the DPC and are working on the block work of the ground floor of the duplex.
While the plan shows the wardrobe position to be demarcated with blocks, the supervisor thinks block work for wardrobe is unnecessary and out of fashion. I am confused as my friend is a rigid person who might want to see his plan executed the way it was drawn unless if I could be convinced otherwise.
Now the question is, is it really out of fashion to build the wardrobe wall with blocks?

You see na where problem dey start be that o...why u no just do wetin your friend want jeje?

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by skimanski(m): 9:38pm On Jul 07, 2016
alstacs:
Good day gurus in the house and friends in diaspora. Please I'm monitoring a project for a friend who lives abroad. They just concluded the DPC and are working on the block work of the ground floor of the duplex.
While the plan shows the wardrobe position to be demarcated with blocks, the supervisor thinks block work for wardrobe is unnecessary and out of fashion. I am confused as my friend is a rigid person who might want to see his plan executed the way it was drawn unless if I could be convinced otherwise.
Now the question is, is it really out of fashion to build the wardrobe wall with blocks?

The honesty you have displayed here in asking this question. I will advise you adopt that honesty in asking the owner of the house which one he'll prefer, because at the end it all boils down to what the owner likes. What i know is that the block idea eats more room space than without the block idea.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by 3strikes: 9:39pm On Jul 07, 2016
babalose:
@3strike....heard you have picked brabus to zone 2. What's up this time?

Oga I have no idea what you are talking about o.. grin

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 9:41pm On Jul 07, 2016
alstacs:

To me yes... I won't have a demarcated concrete/block wardrobe... I can change or re-arrange my room anytime I needed.
Your friend may have his reasons, or may be, he is just an old-fashioned guy.

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 9:55pm On Jul 07, 2016
3strikes:

You know i be won greet oga Egun Happy Eid but honestly i no even know which one e no dey practice....3 in 1 grin

Mo ma nfi sotun, fi sosi grin

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by tevanso(m): 9:55pm On Jul 07, 2016
alstacs:
u can with or without it,it will still work ,but for record purpose tell him to follow the drawings to the latter to avoid u explaining over and over to ur friend

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by alstacs(m): 9:59pm On Jul 07, 2016
You see na where problem dey start be that o...why u no just do wetin your friend want jeje?

The honesty you have displayed here in asking this question. I will advise you adopt that honesty in asking the owner of the house which one he'll prefer, because at the end it all boils down to what the owner likes. What i know is that the block idea eats more room space than without the block idea.

mufutau55:

To me yes... I won't have a demarcated concrete/block wardrobe... I can change or re-arrange me room anytime I need.
Your friend may have his reasons, or may be, he is just an old-fashioned guy.

Hajji M.

Thank you very much, elders of the section, for the responses. When I put it to the owner, he asked me to find out what is better, of course with evidence. I think I will convince him to just stay off the blocks. The supervisor wins then, through more informed opinions of great guys here.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 10:00pm On Jul 07, 2016
alstacs:

He who pays the piper dictates the tune Sir.

2 out of 6 bedrooms on my build have built in wardrobe by design.

It's used to add rigidity to a wall length and provides a strategic space for safety.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by 4nobody4every1: 10:09pm On Jul 07, 2016
EgunMogaji:

He who pays the piper dictates the tune Sir.

2 out of 6 bedrooms on my build have built in wardrobe by design.

It's used to add rigidity to a wall length and provides a strategic space for safety.
Seconded, did same in my personal house cool

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 10:13pm On Jul 07, 2016
4nobody4every1:

Great minds think alike Sir grin

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mavverick: 10:49pm On Jul 07, 2016
I had a similar dilemma.
People said it was old school etc. What swayed me towards constructing wooden wardrobe was the fact that my floors were already tiled and the space wasn't left for wardrobe apart from in one flat.

To be fair in this day and age most like movable wardrobe but it's down to personal choice.

Where I currently live, I had a wall recess which was over 3m wide, I had a wardrobe made with mdf furniture wood and had big sliding door mirrors. This wasn't done with blocks though, but the concept is similar. 2 walls either side and a big recess. It wasn't actually made for a wardrobe I just wanted to be creative with the space and have a massive wardrobe able to contain all my stuff.

I would say consult the owner and explain well. Mind even if you have a block wardrobe it can be finished in such a nice way that you will forget the blocks. Give the room a neutral colour and have a nice mdf design with mahogany pattern

alstacs:

Thank you very much, elders of the section, for the responses. When I put it to the owner, he asked me to find out what is better, of course with evidence. I think I will convince him to just stay off the blocks. The supervisor wins then, through more informed opinions of great guys here.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by 3strikes: 11:28pm On Jul 07, 2016
4nobody4every1:

Spot on. All rooms for desmond flats gat the bricks partition. In my own case na make tenant no fit steal my wardrobe o. ... grin grin grin but of cos it helps to support the structure somehow too..

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 11:45pm On Jul 07, 2016
You can see the closets in this greenprint.

Greenprint = na naija we dey grin

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by 4nobody4every1: 11:55pm On Jul 07, 2016
3strikes:

Spot on. All rooms for desmond flats gat the bricks partition. In my own case na make tenant no fit steal my wardrobe o. ... grin grin grin but of cos it helps to support the structure somehow too..
Lol @ tenant stealing your wardrobe, l dont think they will actually steal a wardrobe, a tenant that will stoop so low to dismantle and steal a wardrobe is poor than a shrine rat grin grin,the rental unit l completed few months ago also has block partitioning cool
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 12:06am On Jul 08, 2016
4nobody4every1:
Lol @ tenant stealing your wardrobe, l dont think they will actually steal a wardrobe, a tenant that will stoop so low to dismantle and steal a wardrobe is poor than a shrine rat grin grin,the rental unit l completed few months ago also has block partitioning cool

Use for firewood? grin

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by 4nobody4every1: 12:10am On Jul 08, 2016
EgunMogaji:

Use for firewood? grin
grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 12:21am On Jul 08, 2016
mavverick:
Oga egun
happy Eid oo
I'm sure you understand yoruba
I saw a set of creative lights here sometime. Good concept however I found the ceiling shadows distracting.

what's the point of a light that creates very dark shadows on the ceiling. Just me 2 cents oo.

Same to you Sir.

For this our little section sometimes things just go pop up come make man shake him head and move on to another thread grin

I understand being creative but like you said it still has to function.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by true2home(m): 12:35am On Jul 08, 2016
Do as the owner wants. The challenge with Nigerian at home is that they never do want you ask them to do. They want to do I KNOW PASS the spender. you can suggest to the owner , but never go against his/her decision. Thanks

alstacs:

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by 3strikes: 12:57am On Jul 08, 2016
4nobody4every1:

Just playing it safe bro. Never say never!

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by 3strikes: 1:14am On Jul 08, 2016
true2home:
Do as the owner wants. The challenge with Nigerian at home is that they never do want you ask them to do. They want to do I KNOW PASS the spender. you can suggest to the owner , but never go against his/her decision. Thanks

God bless you sir. Do as instructed simple! And the owner wont have anything on you at the end. Good intention sometimes often dont end well. As my friends around here will say, always CYA

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 6:18am On Jul 08, 2016
true2home:

You're 110% correct on this Sir.

I run into this at every stage of my build.

It's as if they think that I'm naturally dense because I leave overseas or they have to prove something to me that they too know stuff.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ogoplus: 7:10am On Jul 08, 2016
erico2k2:

Rates differs frm LGA to LGA

Thanks.....

I have this feeling that prospect landlords like me will be at mercy of the guys in the LGA since the rates are different and no one has published such information for guidance.
I
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by tevanso(m): 7:22am On Jul 08, 2016
EgunMogaji:

You're 110% correct on this Sir.

I run into this at every stage of my build.

It's as if they think that I'm naturally dense because I leave overseas or they have to prove something to me that they too know stuff.
what i do is to follow everything on the drawing and specification to avoid story that touch,in case things go south i can always tell the client i did what is in ur drawings ,the best i do is to call his attention and suggest another option if he agreed fine ,i don't dictate i will only make u see why it should be the other way round,then we brainstorm
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Dieumerci(m): 8:14am On Jul 08, 2016
cindybaby22:
greetings to this honourable house.
just got a plot of land, & would like to do a five coach fencing to avoid encroachment.
will it be proper for me to cover the beckon. the bricklayer said i can, i m confused.
thanks all.
Congrats and welcome to the house.

Do you have the authentic survey plan for the plot?

If the area is fully developed, you can go ahead and remove the beacons. But if the area is not yet developed that is no structures around your plot, roads and drainages have not been mapped out then leave the beacons and just do your fence so that tomorrow you won't be accused of fencing outside the beacons especially if there is no survey yet.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mavverick: 8:22am On Jul 08, 2016
I think we can all relate to this.
Especially when you are overseas as previously mentioned.

my tiler went to do a design that he didn't ask me, not what i asked for and against what I told him to do. Luckily I saw it on time and when challanged he said "oga I thought you like design"

Very irritated, my mandate was simple any tiles that couldn't be saved, cement cleaned out would be deducted from his money. Since then no such nonsense.

true2home:

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by cindybaby22(f): 9:02am On Jul 08, 2016
Dieumerci:

Congrats and welcome to the house.

Do you have the authentic survey plan for the plot?

If the area is fully developed, you can go ahead and remove the beacons. But if the area is not yet developed that is no structures around your plot, roads and drainages have not been mapped out then leave the beacons and just do your fence so that tomorrow you won't be accused of fencing outside the beacons especially if there is no survey yet.
thanks for your response.
i really appreciate this.
i haven't done survey yet, & the area is undeveloped though, so it is better the fencing remain inside the beacon?
another problem is those pillar at the edges of the fence.
thanks.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mavverick: 9:15am On Jul 08, 2016
Oga no say that oo.
In as much as I dont like to generalise all tenants, thesame way not all landlords are callous as well, I like the idea of safety first.
I was once asked to put chandelier on a rented apartment grin, and even our well known google engineer agreed as well and told me e no too cost @ 15K each then, I just laugh and SMH. Its not about the cost, but will I meet it there after 12 months, whats the probability I will see chandelier on the ceiling again ?

I once had a door bell, the type that gets plugged on a socket, tenant packed it with his belongings when he moved out, when i visited the property the bell no ring, and light dey, so i called Tenant and said, where is my door bell, he said "my boy mistakenly packed it with my load, luckily he dropped it back". Moral of the story is that with rented apartments, the less mobile/removable things the better.

4nobody4every1:

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by olawale100: 9:22am On Jul 08, 2016
Good Morning ladies & gentlemen.

Please I need advise regarding incorporating a Lift in a proposed block of flats. 3 Levels for now (i.e ground, 1st & 2nd floors)

In terms of number of floors, what does the building code (Lagos state) stipulate?

Kindly advise if you have any idea of cost estimate to acquire and install as well as yearly maintenance

Thank you.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mavverick: 10:16am On Jul 08, 2016
I do not know much about lifts, but what you could do is this.
Goto a place like VI within a few commercial buildings, the name of the company that installed/maintains the lift is usually written on it, or best ask for the facilities manager. You could start to see a pattern, could be that there are 2/3 major companies that focus on lifts.

Ask them for the company, what they are like, how good the shafts are, how often they get callouts for break downs, get an idea on prices etc. I am assuming here that most companies that do commercial lifts are also the ones that may help with residential.

olawale100:
Good Morning ladies & gentlemen.

Please I need advise regarding incorporating a Lift in a proposed block of flats. 3 Levels for now (i.e ground, 1st & 2nd floors)

In terms of number of floors, what does the building code (Lagos state) stipulate?

Kindly advise if you have any idea of cost estimate to acquire and install as well as yearly maintenance

Thank you.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by olawale100: 10:28am On Jul 08, 2016
Thanks a lot Mr. Mavverick, a couple of high rise (5) floors in Oniru area of Lagos have elevators installed.

I will go the route of physical visitation if I cannot get in house information.

Thanks
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by tevanso(m): 10:40am On Jul 08, 2016
msogunro:

Yes, she has. Thank you.
when are we getting it done,mean while i do architectural design and supervise construction process too
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by sako28: 11:34am On Jul 08, 2016
Gurus in the house, I came across this online and want to share the information and also confirm from guys in Lagos if its true.

@ Hajji M ,@ EgunMogaji can you elders look into this and see how real it is. Or if your guys in Lagos can go to the show room to confirm.

Web site: http://emilinks.com/

Thanks
Sako

(1) (2) (3) ... (381) (382) (383) (384) (385) (386) (387) ... (3674) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.