Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,167,180 members, 7,867,425 topics. Date: Friday, 21 June 2024 at 03:50 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (576) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4515280 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (573) (574) (575) (576) (577) (578) (579) ... (3699) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 7:50pm On Jan 01, 2017
happy new year everyone.. have a great year ahead

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 7:52pm On Jan 01, 2017
topsy23:

God will help us in this country.

Alternative building material is what is going to save us in this country. We can't be saved until we wean ourselves from this silly cuddle we have with building with concrete.

Once the foundation has been laid, we should not have anything to do with concrete.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 8:27pm On Jan 01, 2017
EgunMogaji:

Alternative building material is what is going to save us in this country. We can't be saved until we wean ourselves from this silly cuddle we have with building with concrete.

Once the foundation has been laid, we should not have anything to do with concrete.

this remind of my gran fathers house.. there was no concrete decking.. it was made of wood.. still standing strong.. what really changed?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 9:07pm On Jan 01, 2017
twinskenny:

this remind of my gran fathers house.. there was no concrete decking.. it was made of wood.. still standing strong.. what really changed?

And I bet the staircase too was made of wood and well made at that and very ornate.

For my gatemans house, I'm doing a concrete slab on grade then raise a structure based on 2X4. I just need a carpenter that is open to new ideas.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 9:09pm On Jan 01, 2017
EgunMogaji:

And I bet the staircase too was made of wood and well made at that and very ornate.

For my gatemans house, I'm doing a concrete slab on grade then raise a structure based on 2X4. I just need a carpenter that is open to new ideas.

yes it was made of wood sir.. amazing.. stand the test of time

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 9:26pm On Jan 01, 2017
twinskenny:

yes it was made of wood sir.. amazing.. stand the test of time

Imagine the time savings to run your wires and cables through wood instead of breaking and repatching concrete blocks.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 3:31am On Jan 02, 2017
Allegedly, this was taken in Lome, Togo.

How can the Togolese do a block wall (on the left) this neat and Nigerians can't figure it out?

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 7:25am On Jan 02, 2017
EgunMogaji:

Imagine the time savings to run your wires and cables through wood instead of breaking and repatching concrete blocks.

so easy
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rotecch77(m): 7:30am On Jan 02, 2017
@egun,I understand you very well its just that most of our maison are lazy here and they don't have right tools for every work, but this one in pics is very simple they use to do it here, there is one finishing tool they are using to make the line after setting the block (obe isho)
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 7:37am On Jan 02, 2017
EgunMogaji:
Allegedly, this was taken in Lome, Togo.

How can the Togolese do a block wall (on the left) this neat and Nigerians can't figure it out?

some contractor are now using the togolese guys... talking of pop, block setting,
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 9:34am On Jan 02, 2017
Happy new year all.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 9:48am On Jan 02, 2017
twinskenny:

some contractor are now using the togolese guys... talking of pop, block setting,
I posted a pic of that tool along with the brick tool.
However I think we can fabricate it in Nigeria it's a tool with a finger nail finish
Cc spyder880 . U said your welder would get to work on the bricky tool so sup?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by topsy23: 10:23am On Jan 02, 2017
EgunMogaji:

My Oga check this thread, we did electrical and mechanical installation for a well known roofing sheet manufacturer(Nigerite) in Nigeria. They use aluminium profile for the construction. It was a mini estate in PH, Rumuji area. I will post the picture here if I get them. But this might be expensive but very fast project.

https://www.nairaland.com/1233943/contact-us-electrical-mechanical-plumbing/15
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mavverick: 10:35am On Jan 02, 2017
This is standard stuff in the west, thats why they can wire a 3/4 bedroom house in a few hours and you would not be able to tell that anything has happened. My biggest gripe is conduit water piping, I had an issue recently and it wasnt funny to fix.

I think the main issue is that its highly unlikely that wood would be accepted as a finishing material for walls, just imagine what armed robbers will think, licking their lips as they just have to bring some saw and sledge hammer. Lack of wood treatment is another thing, we don't pressure treat wood in Nigeria, its straight from bush to market, and using brush with solegnium (what a bl**dy crude method)

EgunMogaji:

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 10:37am On Jan 02, 2017
topsy23:

My Oga check this thread, we did electrical and mechanical installation for a well known roofing sheet manufacturer(Nigerite) in Nigeria. They use aluminium profile for the construction. It was a mini estate in PH, Rumuji area. I will post the picture here if I get them. But this might be expensive but very fast project.

https://www.nairaland.com/1233943/contact-us-electrical-mechanical-plumbing/15

Nice, I think Dominion worked on something similar too.

Not sure why you still used conduit but we don't use it here like that for wiring.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by topsy23: 10:58am On Jan 02, 2017
EgunMogaji:

Nice, I think Dominion worked on something similar too.

Not sure why you still used conduit but we don't use it here like that for wiring.

the reason why we use conduit pipes is because of the cable specified, there is no way we can run the cable inside aluminium profile without damaging the insulation. We use single core cable all through.

There is another one going on immediately after the second toll gate along Lekki- Ajah express way by the right.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 11:12am On Jan 02, 2017
topsy23:

the reason why we use conduit pipes is because of the cable specified, there is no way we can run the cable inside aluminium profile without damaging the insulation. We use single core cable all through.

There is another one going on immediately after the second toll gate along Lekki- Ajah express way by the right.

This is how we solve that issue here.

Could you find out for me how much the steel studs are? Thanks.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 11:18am On Jan 02, 2017
erico2k2:
now lets move o n, who has seen the tool for placing cement on bricks?
This one
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 11:36am On Jan 02, 2017
erico2k2:

However I think we can fabricate it in Nigeria it's a tool with a finger nail finish

The way my bricklayers advised against it that time, I lost hope of teaching old dogs new tricks. My new supervisor who resumes this month has some modern ideas and inspiration will put him to task with his new team in our upcoming project to try out the bricky tool.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by vicmoore(m): 12:14pm On Jan 02, 2017
erico2k2:

I think this should be the tool but the question is where can this be found...have searched to my best!!

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 12:52pm On Jan 02, 2017
vicmoore:

I think this should be the tool but the question is where can this be found...have searched to my best!!

There are limitations with the use of these tools.

These are some of the limitations I can remember
1. You will need a ready to use mortar : the type of mortar we use in Nigeria is a mix of fine aggregates (sand), cement and water but when using these tools you will need ready to use mortar which is made of lime, very fine sand (silt), cement and other aggregates.

2. The nature of their block or brick is quite different. The mode of production and storage of these blocks and brick allows for smooth surface and accurate dimensions of brick or block.

3. Speed of construction : it is faster to build with our conventional method than to build with this method.

4. Cost of labor is much higher building with these tools.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 1:36pm On Jan 02, 2017
vicmoore:

We where talking of making our own to fit our own needs
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 1:47pm On Jan 02, 2017
abdulwastecx:

1. You will need a ready to use mortar : the type of mortar we use in Nigeria is a mix of fine aggregates (sand), cement and water but when using these tools you will need ready to use mortar which is made of lime, very fine sand (silt), cement and other aggregates.

2. The nature of their block or brick is quite different. The mode of production and storage of these blocks and brick allows for smooth surface and accurate dimensions of brick or block.

3. Speed of construction : it is faster to build with our conventional method than to build with this method.

Nop chair
I have seen this being used in demonstration . It's same mix we have but the sand is smoother . Like erosion sand . .
2 thier block is same as ours just more solid like made completely of sand dust. I see this work on our own blocks as well but for the hollow ones we will have to improvise
3 The speed of laying blocks abroad is actually slow . With this tool it's faster if you got a chance watch the demonstration video on youtube I'll look 4 it in a bit.
The red brick is a different ball game as it has its own groove to apply motar .
4 cost of labour ? Hmmm I just think adaptation to this new way would be the Koko we have stuck to one and old ways of doing things for so long , even in the UK they are still learning how to use it. .It is limited to DIY atm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNL7sHrP-GY&feature=share
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 1:55pm On Jan 02, 2017
EgunMogaji:

But these wooden homes are more expensive than the reinforced concrete structures we build in this part of the world.

I am in agreements with the use of alternative building materials like polystyrene, bamboo, clay etc because some of these materials are renewable and don't take too long before they regrow back compare to wood.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by sensegiver: 3:04pm On Jan 02, 2017
What do you guys think about this. Do you think it will fly?

A steel-reinforced concrete is very expensive and the Laboratory of Future Cities in Singapore suggested the bamboo as a great alternative. It is abundant, sustainable, extremely resilient, which are great specifics for construction materials.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 3:07pm On Jan 02, 2017
sensegiver:

A steel-reinforced concrete is very expensive and the Laboratory of Future Cities in Singapore suggested the bamboo as a great alternative. It is abundant, sustainable, extremely resilient, which are great specifics for construction materials. 
I'm not sure you can't replace steel with bamboo . Check is elesticity
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 3:09pm On Jan 02, 2017
sensegiver:

Do you know in some countries of the world wood is more expensive than steel
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by sensegiver: 3:17pm On Jan 02, 2017
I can believe that. It all boils down to the availability....demand n supply.

erico2k2:

Do you know in some countries of the world wood is more expensive than steel
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 5:33pm On Jan 02, 2017
abdulwastecx:

But these wooden homes are more expensive than the reinforced concrete structures we build in this part of the world.

I am in agreements with the use of alternative building materials like polystyrene, bamboo, clay etc because some of these materials are renewable and don't take too long before they regrow back compare to wood.

Based on what?

My home in Texas is only half brick to reduce the expense.

Kindly share your usual detail analysis for perusal because I continue to disagree with you Sir.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 5:39pm On Jan 02, 2017
abdulwastecx:

Not on board with the tool.

A good artisan can retrain to lay bricks adequate after stringing a line.

I've also said before that we're putting the cart before the horse. Let's start with good block first. What we have are not straight enough nor consistent enough to do a wall like shown in ordinary Togo. Forget the West.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rc0Kn0pN43Y
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 7:07pm On Jan 02, 2017
Please let me know if anyone can share the plans for their gateman house.

Thanks.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 7:37pm On Jan 02, 2017
Some entity advertised an asphalt driveway laying service.

Not sure if it's on this thread or another one.

If anyone runs across the thread/post please let me know.

(1) (2) (3) ... (573) (574) (575) (576) (577) (578) (579) ... (3699) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: ollykay619(m), Chidimercy, Stamford007(m) and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.