Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,131 members, 7,821,871 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:37 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (634) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4410208 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (631) (632) (633) (634) (635) (636) (637) ... (3670) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Chekitaut: 7:12am On Mar 06, 2017
Something surprised me about Nigeria, this country is blessed is the major reason we are not know to war.

Imagine everyone shout recession but my clients are not recessed it may surprise you to know i supplied material to a 4 bedroom duplex @Chevy View Estate in less than 7weeks carcass is at 85% remaining roofing. I wish all money sent to me was to boost my capital base, but no be so.

I pray for my clients and intending ones, God will continue to strengthen & bless them. Money used to build you can not save it. It just come.

I pray any wishing to build God will suprise you. IJN Amen

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mavverick: 11:06am On Mar 06, 2017
Wow Wow Wow

I hope I can work with you one day sha, maybe after they dash me oil well grin grin. On a more serious note, your work that I have seen I am sure if i show someone this is Nigeria, they might want to visit more frequently.

On finishing, whats your take on if a client offers to supply some tools just to ensure that the quality of the work done is top notch, so things like jig saw, drills, angle grinder/cutter etc. I am also wary of artisans that might misuse these tools.

skimanski:

In the USA there are a few Quacks as well. The Issue is that Human Beings and Created to adapt to their Environment. So what ever is the trend is what they will follow. Since their are more Professionals oversea, the Artisans tend to Adapt and follow the Trends. In Nigeria, since there are more quacks, Artisans tend to Adapt and follow the Trends. My Oga, I even get quacks that come to work on my site a lot. But after working with me for Long, and they see the tradition here is not that of the trend, they either decide to adapt of back out. Trust me a lot of them back out. The Most important part of my team is the Supervisors. They cannot and must not follow trends. I am always on their case. Yes I am 32. Yes I have a small Body. Yes I look very gentle and reserved. But the moment I step on site, I have this particular Spirit that I invoke unto me, and that Spirit packs a lot of venom, that once my guys see me, they quickly start checking themselves. We are still a long way behind where we want to get to but we will. So is the Nigerian System. its still a Long way behind, but they will get there one day too.

I have resolved not to follow trend. so should people.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mavverick: 11:08am On Mar 06, 2017
7 weeks ke.

So what would be the timeline, thats some amazing level of project mangement/supervision and some kind of efficiency.
I would like if someone can give a rough timeline of how this can be possible, 7 weeks smiley.

Chekitaut:
Something surprised me about Nigeria, this country is blessed is the major reason we are not know to war.

Imagine everyone shout recession but my clients are not recessed it may surprise you to know i supplied material to a 4 bedroom duplex @Chevy View Estate in less than 7weeks carcass is at 85% remaining roofing. I wish all money sent to me was to boost my capital base, but no be so.

I pray for my clients and intending ones, God will continue to strengthen & bless them. Money used to build you can not save it. It just come.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gabbytabby: 12:25pm On Mar 06, 2017
Actually dangote is better for plastering while elephant for concrete works.

I tend to use dangote all through and there is more in the bag.

skelefish:

okay thanks

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 7:08pm On Mar 06, 2017
mavverick:
7 weeks ke.

So what would be the timeline, thats some amazing level of project mangement/supervision and some kind of efficiency.
I would like if someone can give a rough timeline of how this can be possible, 7 weeks smiley.

I completed my duplex with parapet and roofing and even plastering within 8 weeks.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by back2sender: 7:15pm On Mar 06, 2017
Chekitaut:

There is recession and worsen by the fact that previous government left no savings(looting unprecendent) and this current govt did no react on time though making up for the lost time. We need to diversify Nigeria economy, monoproduct economy will not help us any longer.
On people building in this period of course nature abhors vacuum so you will always find work going on but not on a large scale when compared to when the economy is viable.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 7:18pm On Mar 06, 2017
gabbytabby:
Actually dangote is better for plastering while elephant for concrete works.

I tend to use dangote all through and there is more in the bag.

Thanks alot
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kopell: 11:13pm On Mar 06, 2017
Chekitaut:

This is our people mentality when it's come to money, sorry oh money just don't come like that. It's came from hard work long time planing, just because the guy builds his house Caracas in 7 week it's looks like magic to you. Do you know how long his be planning and saving his money for it. Guys, genuine money just don't come ok, it's takes hard work and time time to get there. Pray and start planning for yours, just don't expect money come to you overnight. Put your mind to it, cut off unnecessary spending star saving you will there too.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 11:52pm On Mar 06, 2017
Questions for USA folks.

Are you using a service to send text messages to Nigeria? For some reason I'm not able to send text messages to Nigeria on AT&T.

Thanks.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kopell: 12:15am On Mar 07, 2017
EgunMogaji:
Questions for USA folks.

Are you using a service to send text messages to Nigeria? For some reason I'm not able to send text messages to Nigeria on AT&T.

Thanks.
Do you have long distance plain with them, if not in New York it won't go through. Or the charged you per text.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 1:39am On Mar 07, 2017
kopell:
Do you have long distance plain with them, if not in New York it won't go through. Or the charged you per text.

Yeah no long distance service with them.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by InvertedHammer: 5:39am On Mar 07, 2017
EgunMogaji:
Questions for USA folks.

Thanks.
I have 2 phone lines. My metropcs line is dedicated to social media and international contacts. They offer unlimited data and unlimited international text messages for no additional charge(s). I have been using this second line for about three years 4G LTE and it is very cheap.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by InvertedHammer: 6:04am On Mar 07, 2017
spyder880:

Well, it depends, because right here there is still a big boom in construction in my area. I have had to expand to Benin where we are doing a decking and to Abuja where we are planning to break ground for a new 6 flats next week, in Enugu we are planning to start a 48 room hostel, and a magnificent duplex, all for different nairalanders.

I still have about 3 ongoing buildings started last year, and work is progressing there. Things are costly, but people are building, all my friends that sell building materials are not complaining too much of slow sales, its been a case of people getting more desperate to complete projects before things turn from bad to worse.

This is how I look at it:

1$ = N190:
cement @ N1,200 = $6.3/bag
16mm rod @ N113,000 = $595/tonne

1$= N500,
cement @ N2,600 = $5.20/bag
16mm rod @ N280,000 = $560

Inflation has not caught up with dollar fluctuations.
For a diaspora Nigerian, this is a good incentive to build now. Or better, push the fund home and hope that prices will crash.

Tomatoes prices crashed. Rice price is crashing. I believe that the cost of building materials will come down too.
This is not the best time for anyone earning money in naira to be building.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kolnel: 12:18pm On Mar 07, 2017
InvertedHammer:

I have 2 phone lines. My metropcs line is dedicated to social media and international contacts. They offer unlimited data and unlimited international text messages for no additional charge(s). I have been using this second line for about three years 4G LTE and it is very cheap.

T mobile gives unlimited text, internet and call
But all international number barred
You can only text naija
50$ monthly

Used Lycra in the past too
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Chekitaut: 4:07pm On Mar 07, 2017
mavverick:
7 weeks ke.

No excavation Blinding, iron work & Carpentry work 4board raft 2weeks, 1day casting , back filling & compacting 3days, mat for german 3days, 1day off, DPC casting 1day, 1day off, 1day forming & inspection, 3days setting of block to lintel, Carpentry & iron bender works 3days, 1day casting of columns & lintel, block setting to level 2days, 3days off, 8days preparation for 1st suspended slab Carpentry(marine board) & iron bender, 1day slab casting, 3days off, 1day forming & inspection 5days setting of block to lintel, 3days Carpentry & iron bender, 1day casting of columns & lintel, 3days settings of blocks to level. This is how it was planned, client words no story left the country after the final level towards wood work for roofing.

If the client was not on ground as i advice the job will take up to 4months or more. As he said Gbenga i hv heard peoples testimonies mine will be different, a very young engineer in early 30s controlling boys very perfect. Everybody knows what to do at the right time. He station mixer for concrete & moter after the raft foundation.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by hoyo: 4:28pm On Mar 07, 2017
Chekitaut:
No excavation Blinding, iron work & Carpentry work 4board raft 2weeks, 1day casting , back filling & compacting 3days, mat for german 3days, 1day off, DPC casting 1day, 1day off, 1day forming & inspection, 3days setting of block to lintel, Carpentry & iron bender works 3days, 1day casting of columns & lintel, block setting to level 2days, 3days off, 8days preparation for 1st suspended slab Carpentry(marine board) & iron bender, 1day slab casting, 3days off, 1day forming & inspection 5days setting of block to lintel, 3days Carpentry & iron bender, 1day casting of columns & lintel, 3days settings of blocks to level. This is how it was planned, client words no story left the country after the final level towards wood work for roofing.

This kind of building go get as he be oo, it is well
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Chekitaut: 4:34pm On Mar 07, 2017
hoyo:

This kind of building go get as he be oo, it is well
Money controlling human.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Marpol: 4:37pm On Mar 07, 2017
@chekitaut, How much is 30tons of granite going for presently? Delivery to Sagamu!
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gabbytabby: 4:50pm On Mar 07, 2017
Hopefully they left the decking wood for minimum 4 weeks if them no want structural wahala.

Chekitaut:

If the client was not on ground as i advice the job will take up to 4months or more. As he said Gbenga i hv heard peoples testimonies mine will be different, a very young engineer in early 30s controlling boys very perfect. Everybody knows what to do at the right time. He station mixer for concrete & moter after the raft foundation.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Chekitaut: 5:41pm On Mar 07, 2017
Marpol:
@chekitaut, How much is 30tons of granite going for presently? Delivery to Sagamu!
N130,000, thanks for contacting us.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Chekitaut: 5:43pm On Mar 07, 2017
gabbytabby:
Hopefully they left the decking wood for minimum 4 weeks if them no want structural wahala.

Sure Ma, d guy is a good master planner.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 12:34am On Mar 08, 2017
Chekitaut:
N130,000, thanks for contacting us.
Make una nor dey cal this kind money I dey ves, kai full 30tone 130K? wey we dey pay N2220K in PH, Infact I don vex. angry angry
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by amanikondo: 12:40am On Mar 08, 2017
diordaves:

You are so patient. You waited 9 months. He will be dancing skelewu in the cell if it were me. One thing I will never take is to tell you to do A and you produced B.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by amanikondo: 1:21am On Mar 08, 2017
Aventures:
Sir you are right| Getting a quality house finishing is 9ja is quite a challenge, but it is achievable. There are two sides of the coins to this matter. 1. Finishing supervision requires 10 times of the attention you need to supervise a carcass, most client are not ready to pay for finishing supervision that will keep their supervisor on site, the question is why do i have to pay you so much? and the guy that does not want to loose the job will come down in order to get the Job (most of us are found of jumping around running multiple site to make ends meet) and also right equipment and skill required is a challenge as well. 2. Second side of the coins is this; even when client is ready to pay good fee believe me i still can vouch for our builders/engineers including myself that we will spend quality time to achieve a desirable finishing, i think the problem is this 'jump around syndrome'. Apology to my coleaguues i mean no harm but truth be told so that we can find a way out to satisfy our clients.
My Opinion on a way out:
1. Client should please have a vivid finishing taste needed, if possible get a photo realistic 3D that has been toned and reviewed to your taste.
2. Engineers/Builders should take integrity and customer's satisfaction a top priority irrespective of the payment
3. Area of specialization: I build the carcass so i must do the finishing should not be, know your area of strength, capitalize on it and also invest in it , if you are creative by nature and you are in build industry don't husstle for building carcass specialize on finishing, if you are some one that can not stay all day on site please stick to carcass building. (honestly i will rather prefer to do 5 carcass than one whole finishing).

I hope in a short while, some clients will come here and give good appraisal of some of our finishing.

Now we know you love Carcass. I need a carcass in Sangotedo.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by amanikondo: 1:26am On Mar 08, 2017
EgunMogaji:
I've noticed that not many new builds reported lately.

Is economy that bad or folks don't bother to share anymore due to one reason or the other?
So many underground projects/builders. You will hear when Kasala burst.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by InvertedHammer: 2:18am On Mar 08, 2017
kolnel:

T mobile gives unlimited text, internet and call
But all international number barred
You can only text naija
50$ monthly

Used Lycra in the past too

Metropcs is on T mobile network.

I use it for free international texts.

I am not concerned about other networks. My needs are satisfied by Metropcs. That's all.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by InvertedHammer: 2:26am On Mar 08, 2017
mavverick:
7 weeks ke.

A Chinese developer built a 57-storey skyscraper in 19 days. Nigeria is not technically and technologically advanced yet. Some of the parts of the buildings we have could be prefabricated but people don't have money to invest in such a venture.

For example: With all the measurements, a fitter and a carpenter can make all the pillars and beams prior to digging the foundation. Even the staircase will be designed. When works starts, the fixtures are put together and a concrete truck pours all the concrete in one day. Then the partitioning comes after the concrete works curing and voila! You get a complete skeleton in one week. But it needs high technical experience and expertise. Nigeria is not there yet. Julius Berger does it in some of their projects.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 3:01am On Mar 08, 2017
amanikondo:

So many underground projects/builders. You will hear when Kasala burst.

Apologies but I don't understand what you mean.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Chekitaut: 3:36am On Mar 08, 2017
erico2k2:

Make una nor dey cal this kind money I dey ves, kai full 30tone 130K? wey we dey pay N2220K in PH, Infact I don vex. angry angry
And they will still rip you off your tonnage, in PH stone boys are heartless, selfish, greedy, dont fear God, i bow for them there.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by skimanski(m): 7:51am On Mar 08, 2017
mavverick:
Wow Wow Wow

I hope I can work with you one day sha, maybe after they dash me oil well grin grin. On a more serious note, your work that I have seen I am sure if i show someone this is Nigeria, they might want to visit more frequently.

On finishing, whats your take on if a client offers to supply some tools just to ensure that the quality of the work done is top notch, so things like jig saw, drills, angle grinder/cutter etc. I am also wary of artisans that might misuse these tools.

We have these tools. and also even if we don't. I will rather I buy mine, because my Workers can be crazy sometimes. I no get money to pay for machine wey spoil. Or now Loose my respect, because some silly Artisans feel they can misuse peoples hard earned Money the was do misuse theirs
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by amanikondo: 7:57am On Mar 08, 2017
EgunMogaji:

Apologies but I don't understand what you mean.

I meant people on the forum are building. They are not just showcasing. It is when there is problem they will bring it to the panel of judges.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mavverick: 10:33am On Mar 08, 2017
What you have said is true, and its what happens in most developed countries. I am just interested on the planning done by normal everyday folks like myself and most others on here. JB have a whole load of experts covering from different angles etc, and also I suspect the have most workers on contract or on the payroll, so not waiting for plumber to show or bricklayer that is posting you whilst in another state where he has collected another job.

InvertedHammer:

A Chinese developer built a 57-storey skyscraper in 19 days. Nigeria is not technically and technologically advanced yet. Some of the parts of the buildings we have could be prefabricated but people don't have money to invest in such a venture.

For example: With all the measurements, a fitter and a carpenter can make all the pillars and beams prior to digging the foundation. Even the staircase will be designed. When works starts, the fixtures are put together and a concrete truck pours all the concrete in one day. Then the partitioning comes after the concrete works curing and voila! You get a complete skeleton in one week. But it needs high technical experience and expertise. Nigeria is not there yet. Julius Berger does it in some of their projects.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (631) (632) (633) (634) (635) (636) (637) ... (3670) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: gbadexy(m), amourdivine, Stamford007(m), HossanaHeights

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.